• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

3rdman said:
Finally played and beat the game...it's like Tomb Raider with less suck and fewer puzzles. It's very good but damn was it short...I beat the game in two sittings. Glad I only rented it.

Cover system works well enough and clearly borrows a lot from Gears of War and was never unfair...I would however, make the pickup of weapons easier to find. Often times the bodies that you shoot down would toss their weapons far from their bodies making it difficult to get reloads when the action is heavy. But thats my only real complaint...great game but not worth the full price tag because of its length.

i give you two days before you're thinking

"man. i could go for shootin' some greasy indonesian pirates about now."

Blitzzz

I don't quite understand the love for these context sensitive cover systems ala gears/uncharted... they're pretty damn terrible

I don't want my cover button mapped to a button that also performs other activities. Rolling/running etc, actions that are the opposite of hiding should NOT BE MAPPED TO THE SAME FUCKING BUTTON

Vegas has been the only game to implement a proper cover system

Banned
Blitzzz said:
I don't quite understand the love for these context sensitive cover systems ala gears/uncharted... they're pretty damn terrible

I don't want my cover button mapped to a button that also performs other activities. Rolling/running etc, actions that are the opposite of hiding should NOT BE MAPPED TO THE SAME FUCKING BUTTON

But there are so many buttons on the controller it gets confusing! Especially when normal is really hard!

I don't like it being on the same button either.

Steroyd

Blitzzz said:

On the flipside if we assigned every button to do something unique, we might as well get a god damn keyboard.

GQman2121

Banned
I beat the game a few months ago, but haven't post in this thread yet; I just want to say that the third act has me interested in seeing this team try Survival Horror.

There are genuine scares in there and I think with a bit of direction that they could pump out something new and fresh for the genre.

Uncharted 2 can't be announced soon enough though........

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
rod said:
i honestly think kittonwy's erection from uncharted comes from it being a major high profile game on his console of choice. i highly doubt he would feel even half the love he feels for it now were it on x360 aswell. im not saying thats how EVERY uncharted fan works, but after reading his posts a long time ago when dmc4 was announced for the 360 and he condemned it, its hard to take his orgasms over uncharted seriously.

Yesh, he'z pretty full uv shitsy-witsy!!!111!!! <---See how I accidentally typed "1" instead of "!" there? So endearing!

Anyway, I just ordered this off of Ebay after having decent enough fun with the demo and no other games besides MGS4 for my new PS3, so despite the fact that I think Nathan Drake looks like a douchebag I'm looking forward to having a nice little adventure with it.

Kittonwy

Banned
Blitzzz said:

Circle works for roll and cover because you can roll right into cover.
Indifferent2.gif

Len Dontree said:
Anyway, I just ordered this off of Ebay after having decent enough fun with the demo and no other games besides MGS4 for my new PS3, so despite the fact that I think Nathan Drake looks like a douchebag I'm looking forward to having a nice little adventure with it.
The full game is much better than the demo. The reason for that is how story-driven the gameplay is. In most games I honestly find myself forgetting why I'm doing X, but in Uncharted the story is so focused and well paced that I always had my current objective in the back of my mind, and it's funny what a big difference it makes to a game when your character's motivation is always front and centre. It makes a huge difference to immersion, which is why a lot of people describe this game as like being inside an action movie.

So I finished it on Crushing. I'll tone back some of my criticism, because a lot of the later gunfights are actually no more difficult on Crushing.

The one's I found incredibly tedious:
- the shootout in water room with the large man made pillars spread around (just after you go down that long tunnel with a fixed machine gun at the end of it)
- the shootout in the courtyard where there is a fixed machine gun opposite you, one floor up on a balcony (this one took the cake, grrr)
- the large round room in the customs house with a fixed machine gun positioned on a landing on a flight of stairs
- the bit where having just had a shootout in a mini courtyard outside a portcullis, you head up some stairs and are shot in the back by 3 rushing enemies coming from the walkway on the opposite side of the courtyard (near the tower, which you later climb up the outside of before heading inside and abseiling down a rusty old chain).

The other thing that annoyed me were the save points (about 2 or 3 I think) where as soon as the game loaded you had to aim and hit bad guys with a lucky shot instantly, or face instant death yourself. On the lower difficulties you could survive a few nicks, whereas on Crushing those situations became loading your game = instant death, which isn't a good gameplay mechanic even if I found it rather amusing. :D

Some of the ones I thought would be tricky were actually quite fair, namely the shootouts
outside and inside the Church
, and the last level. They actually seemed a lot easier than on Hard, I guess because of all of the extra (hours and HOURS of) combat training in those tedious spots.

The one's I mentioned above as being tedious were ones where there is limited cover, so there's hardly any scope for vaulting/rolling from cover to cover. That's why those areas were so incredibly infuriating. Whereas the ones I just said were fair are the ones where there was heaps of cover to be had.

In Uncharted, whenever you can vault or roll from cover to cover, and really make use of Nate's athleticism, the game really shines. It's what makes the Uncharted combat so satisfying. Anyway, with my 1000 points (and Doughnut Drake unlocked) I'm putting this game into semi-retirement, on the whole one of the best games I've ever played (even though Crushing feels more like torture than a game at those spots I mentioned above!).

mrpogi23

finally finished the game too, got it since it came out but i play it like 30- to an hr every few days, just taking my time looking at the environments. i probably was holding back bcuz i dont want it to end... and so many other games i kinda got lost somewhere.

great game, i like the length, its just right esp when i dont play it straight long in one sitting.

nib95

Banned
nib95 said:
The screens as promised! 56k SUICIDE!!!

Uncharted.jpg

Uncharted1.jpg

Uncharted2.jpg

Uncharted3.jpg

Uncharted4.jpg

Uncharted5.jpg

Uncharted6.jpg

Uncharted7.jpg

Uncharted8.jpg

Uncharted9.jpg

Uncharted10.jpg

Uncharted11.jpg

Uncharted12.jpg

Uncharted13.jpg

Uncharted14.jpg

Uncharted15.jpg

Uncharted16.jpg

Uncharted17.jpg

Uncharted18.jpg

Uncharted19.jpg

Uncharted20.jpg

Uncharted21.jpg

Uncharted22.jpg

Uncharted23.jpg

Uncharted24.jpg

Uncharted25.jpg

Uncharted26.jpg

Uncharted27.jpg

Uncharted28.jpg

Uncharted29.jpg

Uncharted30.jpg

Uncharted31.jpg

Uncharted32.jpg

Uncharted33.jpg

Uncharted34.jpg

Uncharted35.jpg

Uncharted36.jpg

Uncharted37.jpg

Uncharted38.jpg

Uncharted39.jpg

:D

Bump because I decided to start playing the game again and realised how fucking awesome it was, and how amazing it looked, and could think of no better way to express it than to bump these screens I posted a while back.

Seriously, I still think this is the best looking console game to date. Despite MGS4 trying to steal that title with such ferocity!

dralla

Needed to bump this for audio appreciation. After setting up my new home theater system I've been checking out most of my games, little did I know Uncharted has Linear PCM support and it sounds friggin' incredible :[] It's right up there with MGS4 for best sounding game I own [MGS4 gets the edge]. The combination of the graphics and sound make it the most technically impressive game I've ever played.

sruckus

edit: nevermind, beat it ;). Great great game. Some parts I thought were a little too difficult for the difficulty chosen, and sometimes I wish there were a few more hints on how to accomplish something, but I loved the game a lot. Definately will buy the sequel if it comes up. ++ for the awesome "rewards" in the game!

WOO I just got my last medal and finished 100%. Great game, can't wait to see what they do for a sequel.
Look Kitton I did it, it's finally over.

Kittonwy said:
You did it!!!
gladtomeetya.gif

Awesome.
KlintIndifference.gif
When I finally got all the treasures, I noticed that I was still 10 points short of 1000. I had to go back and get the hanging grenade kills ones. Now I wonder what kind of trophies we will get, if they are different than the medals.

BobTheFork said:
When I finally got all the treasures, I noticed that I was still 10 points short of 1000. I had to go back and get the hanging grenade kills ones. Now I wonder what kind of trophies we will get, if they are different than the medals.

I hope they're different. I LOVE Uncharted, but I don't really want to play through Crushing again. Hopefully Naughty Dog can come up with new, original requirements for trophies.

AKS

pj325is said:
I recently beat the game for the first time. I think its flaws stand out so much more because of how much I otherwise love the game, and I think a lot of the flaws are related to their insecurity over the length.

There's too many waves of enemies in almost every encounter.
Enemies take too many body shots to kill.
You shouldn't be restricted to one real weapon and a pistol.
Ammo limits are too restrictive
Explosive barrels in the levels are lazy, naughty dog should be above them
Explosive barrels in the jet ski parts are even worse
Since I lose health so quickly, I feel like I'm being forced to use cover, which makes combat less fun than it should be
When I discover some ancient room not seen by humans for hundreds of years, why the fuck are there a dozen bad guys right around the corner? That really kills the exploration.
The game is 7 hours long, and would have probably been closer to 5 if they had taken the annoying stuff out.
Most of the time it's SUPER linear
Puzzles weren't very good
Using melee is suicide most of the time because popping out of cover for more than 1 second is risky business and the 2x ammo is stupid because the ammo limits are so low that my guns are always full anyway.

The story, characters, environments and basic gameplay were all great. I hope they can fix all the stupid little shit I complained about, make it about twice as long, and NOT ADD MULTIPLAYER, FOR THE LOVE OF JESUS, DO NOT DO IT.

Most of those "flaws" just reflect your personal preferences rather than a significant problem with the game. For example, Improved skill and accuracy regarding getting head shots would magically fix the "flaws" of not providing enough ammo are taking too many body shots to kill an opponent. Any more ammo would make the game too easy for me. I thought there was plenty.

I also can't believe you called Naughty Dog lazy regarding the barrels. This game is emulating blockbuster action movies...ever notice there are loads of big explosions and chases in those as well? Ditto on the puzzles; when was the last time Indiana Jones needed more than a couple of minutes to solve a puzzle? He always miraculously finds a way to solve it and is right back into the fights, explosions, and chases again. ND did a superb job combining the action film and video game. Heavenly Sword made a valiant effort, but Naughty Dog was the first to really nail it.

Borrowed Uncharted from a friend at work today. I'm a little bit past where the demo leaves off. Enjoying it so far. Just about everything in it is well done from the shooting, platforming, to the camera.

Finished Uncharted this afternoon. Got through the whole thing in Normal in two sittings. Don't know how long it took, but it wasn't too long. Regardless, I really enjoyed it. It felt like a mix of Tomb Raider, Indiana Jones, Gears of War and even a few hints of Bond I thought with some of the music. That said I think this style game would make an EXCELLENT 007 game.

Anyway, was there anything after the credits? Because I skipped them. I'm pretty satisfied. Definitely a great game. Everything about it is well done, the game is paced nicely, the gameplay is varied as is the level design. Definitely glad I got to play it.

Is there any word on Uncharted 2?

BigBoss

ToyMachine228 said:
Finished Uncharted this afternoon. Got through the whole thing in Normal in two sittings. Don't know how long it took, but it wasn't too long. Regardless, I really enjoyed it. It felt like a mix of Tomb Raider, Indiana Jones, Gears of War and even a few hints of Bond I thought with some of the music. That said I think this style game would make an EXCELLENT 007 game.

Anyway, was there anything after the credits? Because I skipped them. I'm pretty satisfied. Definitely a great game. Everything about it is well done, the game is paced nicely, the gameplay is varied as is the level design. Definitely glad I got to play it.

Is there any word on Uncharted 2?

There is nothing after the credits and I believe Amy Henning already confirmed Uncharted 2 is in development.

Issun23

I'm thinking of buying Uncharted today. I love games with a good, mysterious story. I've also already played the demo and the gameplay I liked a lot. So GAF do I get out and get this?

Kittonwy

Banned
Issun23 said:
I'm thinking of buying Uncharted today. I love games with a good, mysterious story. I've also already played the demo and the gameplay I liked a lot. So GAF do I get out and get this?

BUY UNCHARTED!!!111!!!
angry.gif

Best game on teh PS3.
angry.gif

TheExodu5

Banned
nib95 said:
Bump because I decided to start playing the game again and realised how fucking awesome it was, and how amazing it looked, and could think of no better way to express it than to bump these screens I posted a while back.

Seriously, I still think this is the best looking console game to date. Despite MGS4 trying to steal that title with such ferocity!

Finally someone took some screens with a properly calibrated display. Some of the people in this thread have atrocious contrast settings.

Darkpen

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Finally someone took some screens with a properly calibrated display. Some of the people in this thread have atrocious contrast settings.
I love the people who have tv settings at "LOOK MA, MAH EYES ARE BLEEDIN', BUT THE GAME LOOKS SO PURTY." D:

BobTheFork said:
WOO I just got my last medal and finished 100%. Great game, can't wait to see what they do for a sequel.
Look Kitton I did it, it's finally over.
Yeah im holding off on my 2nd playthrough to get trophies while i do that. And then if i can sum up the courage, try and join the 'i beat Uncharted on Crushing' club.

Rolf NB

devilchicken said:
Yeah im holding off on my 2nd playthrough to get trophies while i do that. And then if i can sum up the courage, try and join the 'i beat Uncharted on Crushing' club.
Same here. That trophy patch can't come soon enough.
Metalmurphy said:
I made this for the PS3 is broken thread before it got locked and since this was already bumped, I might as well post it here :p

http://i34.tinypic.com/6edyy1.jpg
I don't get it. Uncharted haz moar textures than Uncharted can possibly haz?

mozfan12

Banned
Im liking the game quite a bit. I wish there was more variety in the enemies but the atmosphere and detail of the environments make up for it.

I wish there are more platforming levels in the sequel but for the most part it is perfectly paced.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
BeeDog said:
Why don't you wait until the trophy patch arrives?

I'd be paying attention to orange kittens and your legs from now on if I were you ;).

(why would you wait to play Uncharted if you did not have to :p ?!?)

Tntnnbltn

Panajev2001a said:
I'd be paying attention to orange kittens and your legs from now on if I were you ;).

(why would you wait to play Uncharted if you did not have to :p ?!?)
(why wouldn't you want to play through Uncharted another time after the trophy patch :p ?!?)

Issun23

Just started chapter 3 but I'm loving it already. Best looking game on PS3. It even beats Metal Gear 4.

2f0gjyu.png

Not the greatest shot but woo. :D

Top Bottom