• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Flo_Evans

There have been lots of threads lately about motorcycles and scooters with the gas price ever rising. Perhaps we can keep all the info and questions in one place?

I'll start off with some pics of my last adventure through Missouri's back country fire roads!

mMcBmz3.jpg

2bwcSmS.jpg

Bzo4X2t.jpg

So what you riding on? Maybe we could organize a GAF 2 wheel meetup/rally? :D

Chony

I'm thinking about taking the motorcycle safety/endorsement class next month. I have a fuel efficient car now but I have always loved motorcycles. I only need to get over the whole 'safety' issue. That and I live in Seattle where it rains three hundred days a year and is all hills (which was hard enough when I got a manual). Wish me luck!

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I've actually been thinking of taking some lessons and getting a motorcycle license, its just that I can't find the time. The fact that we have snowy and icy winters here also kind of dampens my enthusiasm. Oh well, maybe next summer.

Ashhong

just got my license recently, getting a new ninja 250r :D might wait to see if they bring out new colors for 09..

Flo_Evans

Cyan said:
This may seem like an odd question... but how much is insurance for motorcycles typically, compared to cars?

In the US? Cheaper. I pay about $250/year on my bike vs. $600/year for my car.

Nice thread. I'll just post the Ducati again. Here's a pic of my M620 in one of its particularly shiny moments:

64dtol.jpg

(It's the 2005 model, with some carbon pipes)

Been riding this for three years now. I know I'm going to sound like an incredibly spoiled bastard for this, but sometimes I'd like to try my hand at something like a 748/916 even.

Product_138768.jpg

This is my 2003 Fuji Ace roadbike. I installed Shimano Ultegra components onto it and I have Mavic Open Pro Wheels. I realize that the OP was about motorcycles, but I thought I would contribute anyways.

Husker86

bike007.jpg

Got my baby in March of last year. Loved it from day one and even more now considering the gas prices.

As far as mods I've just swapped the sprockets (-1/+2), lowed the gas mileage a bit but still easily doubles my car's mileage so it's not such a bad deal...fuel efficiency aside, it's fun as hell!

snacknuts

we all knew her
Flo_Evans said:
In the US? Cheaper. I pay about $250/year on my bike vs. $600/year for my car.

Depends on the bike and the driver. A crotch rocket is going to run you a lot more on insurance than a touring bike, especially if you're still younger than 25 or so.

Husker86 said:
Got my baby in March of last year. Loved it from day one and even more now considering the gas prices.

As far as mods I've just swapped the sprockets (-1/+2), lowed the gas mileage a bit but still easily doubles my car's mileage so it's not such a bad deal...fuel efficiency aside, it's fun as hell!

I've never driven a 4 cilinder bike, can't wait to find out what that's like. Is that a 600/750 or a liter model?

Just looking for some advice here.

I want to get a 600cc bike this summer. How the hell do I choose between Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, etc...

Looking for that edgy look of the 600cc while maintaining an awesome fuel efficiency. This would be used for my daily commute (about 50km per day).

Flo_Evans

DarkJediKnight said:

I want to get a 600cc bike this summer. How the hell do I choose between Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, etc...

Looking for that edgy look of the 600cc while maintaining an awesome fuel efficiency. This would be used for my daily commute (about 50km per day).

Honda seems to be at the top of their game as far as the japanese makers go. I personally like the styling of of the yamahas though. I wish I wasn't so in love with the euro bikes... you get more bang for your buck with the japanese makes but motorcycling isn't always a rational endeavor :D

Just a word of warning: modern 600cc sportbikes are nothing to sneeze at. For a commuter they are WAY overkill. I would look at a more touring style if you just want to commute and have no ambitions of getting a knee down or cracking 150mph...

Nester

I'm picking up a Yamaha Vino 125 later tonight after I get off work. Pretty excited to get it. The payment on the bike itself is less than I spend on gas every month on my car. I'll take pictures once I get it.

Husker86

Fallout-NL said:
I've never driven a 4 cilinder bike, can't wait to find out what that's like. Is that a 600/750 or a liter model?

It's a 600. It was my first bike so I wanted to start small (but not 250 small). I want to get a 750 next year but as I think more about it I don't know if there will be that much benefit to me since I don't do track days or anything...the 600 is very fast already for the street.

DarkJediKnight said:

I like Suzuki's but I really like the Yamahas as well. My cousin has an R6 and as far as styling goes I like it just as well as my GSXR. Kawasakis are all over the place, people say GSXR's are the most common but, at least in my area, I find that to be far from the truth.

They are all going to perform basically the same, it really comes down to which you feel more comfortable on. The GSXR sits lower, as far as seat height is concerned, than the R6, I'm 6'1" and prefer the GSXR though I can stand at a stop comfortably on my cousin's R6.

Flo_Evans

Fallout-NL said:
Nice thread. I'll just post the Ducati again. Here's a pic of my M620 in one of its particularly shiny moments:

Been riding this for three years now. I know I'm going to sound like an incredibly spoiled bastard for this, but sometimes I'd like to try my hand at something like a 748/916 even.

Good luck finding a 748! I had a chance to buy one when I got my car and am still kicking myself I let it go. I have been eying the new 848 with a large buldge in my pants though... I could actually fuck that bike like those sick dudes do to their cars... :lol

SBK_848_08S_R_B01S_1280x960.jpg

SHWING!!! :D

Flo_Evans said:
Do it! http://www.msf-usa.org/ MSF has a very nice program that can teach you everything you need to know, from starting the bike to swerving around obstacles at high speed.

Flo posted Step #1.

Step #2: Don't skimp on good gear. You don't need a $500 helmet but expect to spend $150~300 on an acceptable one.

Step #3: Don't shop for your first bike as if it will be your last. You don't need a GSXR600 (Let alone 1000) to start with. There is nothing small about an I4 600.

Flo_Evans said:
Honda seems to be at the top of their game as far as the japanese makers go. I personally like the styling of of the yamahas though. I wish I wasn't so in love with the euro bikes... you get more bang for your buck with the japanese makes but motorcycling isn't always a rational endeavor :D

Just a word of warning: modern 600cc sportbikes are nothing to sneeze at. For a commuter they are WAY overkill. I would look at a more touring style if you just want to commute and have no ambitions of getting a knee down or cracking 150mph...

I want to take it to a local track as well. That's why I was looking at the 600cc.

Husker86 said:
I like Suzuki's but I really like the Yamahas as well. My cousin has an R6 and as far as styling goes I like it just as well as my GSXR. Kawasakis are all over the place, people say GSXR's are the most common but, at least in my area, I find that to be far from the truth.

They are all going to perform basically the same, it really comes down to which you feel more comfortable on. The GSXR sits lower, as far as seat height is concerned, than the R6, I'm 6'1" and prefer the GSXR though I can stand at a stop comfortably on my cousin's R6.

Well, I'm between 5'7 and 5'8. Something lower would be great that is very reliable, gets great gas mileage and looks cool.

Flo_Evans said:
Good luck finding a 748! I had a chance to buy one when I got my car and am still kicking myself I let it go. I have been eying the new 848 with a large buldge in my pants though... I could actually fuck that bike like those sick dudes do to their cars... :lol

SHWING!!! :D

I'll say, that thing is gorgeous, must be because they sort of went back to that 916 styling (with the horizontal headlamp arrangement).

Husker86 said:
It's a 600. It was my first bike so I wanted to start small (but not 250 small). I want to get a 750 next year but as I think more about it I don't know if there will be that much benefit to me since I don't do track days or anything...the 600 is very fast already for the street.

Yeah 600s these days are crazy fast. The R6's got like 130 bhp @ the crank. I'm getting 65 from my Ducati :-/ and I wouldn't exactly call that slow either.

DarkJediKnight said:
I want to take it to a local track as well. That's why I was looking at the 600cc.

You'll still need to learn the technique on a lesser bike. There is a reason that the best riders in the world utilize every available power class at one point in their careers.

garath

WickedAngel said:
Flo posted Step #1.

Step #2: Don't skimp on good gear. You don't need a $500 helmet but expect to spend $150~300 on an acceptable one.

Step #3: Don't shop for your first bike as if it will be your last. You don't need a GSXR600 (Let alone 1000) to start with. There is nothing small about an I4 600.

I would add to #3 and highly suggest an older, cheaper bike. I haven't met very many people who have avoided dropping their first bike. Nothing fun about buying an expensive (for a bike) shiny new machine only to see the mirror snap off when you drop it in the garage :lol

garath said:
I would add to #3 and highly suggest an older, cheaper bike. I haven't met very many people who have avoided dropping their first bike. Nothing fun about buying an expensive (for a bike) shiny new machine only to see the mirror snap off when you drop it in the garage :lol

Hell, I don't think you're ever completely immune from dropping.

I dropped my third bike in the driveway while I was pushing it in after having washed it. God damned pine straw.

WickedAngel said:
You'll still need to learn the technique on a lesser bike. There is a reason that the best riders in the world utilize every available power class at one point in their careers.

Fine. Can you recommend me a bike with my (listed) requirements?

Unfortunately, I will not be a part of 2 wheel GAF for a little while. I was hit and run by a cab and am out of commission for a bit (was on a bicycle).

garath said:

I wouldn't necessarily suggest getting an older bike. Agreed, I wouldn't get on a japanese 600 as a first bike, but you can't beat modern brakes, handling, weight distribution, etc.

DarkJediKnight said:
Fine. Can you recommend me a bike with my (listed) requirements?

The 2008 250R has better gas mileage than any supersport and is designed to look like its older brothers.

Kawasaki-Ninja-250R-1.jpg

Replace the exhaust with an aftermarket solution (Something like a Yoshimura) to get a better exhaust note and increased performance.

For years, we begged for this from Kawasaki. They clung to the archaic, mid-80's design for the old 250R right up until 2007. This is the ultimate starter in terms of sport bikes.

WickedAngel said:
The 2008 250R has better gas mileage than any supersport and is designed to look like its older brothers.

Kawasaki-Ninja-250R-1.jpg

Replace the exhaust with an aftermarket solution (Something like a Yoshimura) to get a better exhaust note and increased performance.

For years, we begged for this from Kawasaki. They clung to the archaic, mid-80's design for the old 250R right up until 2007. This is the ultimate starter in terms of sport bikes.

SECKZY!! :lol

Any other alternatives to keep in mind? Something from Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, etc.. to compare?

DarkJediKnight said:
SECKZY!! :lol

Any other alternatives to keep in mind? Something from Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, etc.. to compare?

Not yet, unfortunately. They haven't seen the light yet and don't feel that the 250 market is worth entering.

It really doesn't matter, though. Build quality is comparable between those four companies; they all make superb bikes and the 2008 250R has been well reviewed.

I wouldn't put it past the others to enter the 250 market if the 250R ends up selling well (Which I think it will due to its sexy styling, attractive price tag, and gas efficiency).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Cheeto said:
Am I the only one who likes:
Steve_ride_sm.jpg
What is with that ridge in the back I see on cruisers? It looks like a second seat but that can't possibly be safe.

WickedAngel said:
Not yet, unfortunately. They haven't seen the light yet and don't feel that the 250 market is worth entering.

It really doesn't matter, though. Build quality is comparable between those four companies; they all make superb bikes and the 2008 250R has been well reviewed.

I wouldn't put it past the others to enter the 250 market if the 250R ends up selling well (Which I think it will due to its sexy styling, attractive price tag, and gas efficiency).

I was doing a bit of net detective work and it seems like the 250R is hard to come by due to its price and availability. I will certainly look for ths bike to try out, and hopefully find one in black because that kawa green is just nasty to me.

DarkJediKnight said:
I was doing a bit of net detective work and it seems like the 250R is hard to come by due to its price and availability. I will certainly look for ths bike to try out, and hopefully find one in black because that kawa green is just nasty to me.

Dude :S, kawa and green are like Gordon and his crowbar.

Cheeto

Halycon said:
What is with that ridge in the back I see on cruisers? It looks like a second seat but that can't possibly be safe.
Yeah that is a second seat. I don't see how it's anymore unsafe than another bike though.

Davedough

Flo_Evans said:
Also check out their SV and Katanas, much more tame than the GSX.

As the owner of an SV, yes they're much more tame than a GSXR, but you can still get the front wheel skyward and out-corner a lot of other "bigger" bikes.

garath

It's not as sexy as a super sport (or even that hot little new 250R) but I started on a Kawasaki EX500. I'm 6'3" 180 and the 500 is comfortable, more upright than most sportbikes and great gas mileage. Fantastic starter bike as far as I'm concerned.

Though there are a few other bikes that would make decent starters. Kawasaki 250R, Suzuki SV650 (with or without full fairing), Suzuki GS500 (with or without the full fairing), Yamaha YZF600R, even a Ninja 650R. But I'll still say cheaper the better. I got my 500 for $2k.

Flo_Evans

Davedough said:
As the owner of an SV, yes they're much more tame than a GSXR, but you can still get the front wheel skyward and out-corner a lot of other "bigger" bikes.

True, any bike can get you in allot of trouble if you don't respect it. The SV may be too much for a total n00b but it's at least a more sensible starter than the track ready GSXR or CBR-RR :D

The monster 750 was my 1st bike (I had ridden other peoples and various scooters before buying one) It can get the front wheel up but you really have to try. I swapped with my friend who rode a 900ss one ride and holy shit... I am glad I did not start on that bike! Way aggressive seating position, TONS more HP and stiff as a board suspension would of probably gotten me killed trying to learn on that. He eventually stopped riding cause the bike was just too much for him.

Cheeto, I am not much a fan of choppers no. I do like some "classic" bikes such as the triumph bonneville

NV40882_1_400.jpg

But sport tourers supersport and more recently DS bikes are doing it for me :D

Karmacide

I'm considering a motorcycle. Any tips and recommendations for a beginner? I'm more into cruisers and I've been looking at a Kawasaki Vulcan 500.

Flo_Evans

Karmacide said:
I'm considering a motorcycle. Any tips and recommendations for a beginner? I'm more into cruisers and I've been looking at a Kawasaki Vulcan 500.

Refer to post #25.

I never did the MSF course but I had some good friends willing to spend the day in the parking lot teaching me.

I highly recommend:

51WJM9JTCQL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIlitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1889540536/bookstorenow57-20

as a good guide to the ins and outs of riding but nothing can really compare to professional hands on instruction.

I am thinking about taking some advanced track classes but I don't really have a track bike at the time. I guess I could put some hypermotard wheels on my BMW :D

Cheeto

Flo_Evans said:
Cheeto, I am not much a fan of choppers no. I do like some "classic" bikes such as the triumph bonneville

NV40882_1_400.jpg

But sport tourers supersport and more recently DS bikes are doing it for me :D
To each their own. No problem with that, I just prefer the relaxed riding style and the big motors.

garath

Flo_Evans said:
Refer to post #25.

I never did the MSF course but I had some good friends willing to spend the day in the parking lot teaching me.

I highly recommend:

51WJM9JTCQL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIlitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1889540536/bookstorenow57-20

as a good guide to the ins and outs of riding but nothing can really compare to professional hands on instruction.

I am thinking about taking some advanced track classes but I don't really have a track bike at the time. I guess I could put some hypermotard wheels on my BMW :D

I'll second that book. Great real world application of basic techniques.

Top Bottom