• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HALO movie OFFICIALLY dead!

Well, sad news. We were told that the movie was put on ice but it was actually dead.

Neil Blomkamp:

"The film is entirely dead. In the configuration it was in. Whatever happens with that movie, assuming that movie gets made, will be a totally different configuration. It's not so much me as the entire vessel sank…"

"I was going to push that as far as [I could] until the studios kind of threw a noose around me. I was going to go as far with that as I possibly could. I wanted it to feel like the most brutal, real version of science fiction in a war environment that you've seen in a while. And Universal was on board with that. I don't really remember what Fox thought about it, but Universal seemed down with it. It would have been cool, it would have been a unique take on things, science fiction in a dirty, organic way."

Source: Creativity Online

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
That makes zero sense, considering how much money Halo 3 is making.

Although, I personally am happy that we have to deal with one less crappy sci-fi video game movie.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
o-rly.jpg

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Understandable, given how freaking goofy the shorts were. UNSC armor and anything Covenant just looks totally bizarre in that realistic style. The brutes in the final short were laughable, they were literally giant purple space gorillas.

Personally I couldn't stand the Cinematography in the short clips. We needed an Epic, a la Lord of the Rings, style halo movie, after all that is what halo is all about :)

IzumiK

Banned
Wait... I thought Peter Jackson was doing this movie. He never gives up.

And MGS movie is going to be directed by Kojima. Ya can't screw with that.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
IzumiK said:

He's doing a Halo-related game. His effects studio (Weta) was doing the designs for the Neil Blomkapfersteinhoffenplomp shorts.

Personally I couldn't stand the Cinematography in the short clips. We needed an Epic, a la Lord of the Rings, style halo movie, after all that is what halo is all about :)

I agree. The description doesn't seem emblematic of Halo at all.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
hay guys I added a comma

"The film is entirely dead, in the configuration it was in."

Nothing has changed on the movie status. Blomkamp is precisely correct. If the movie ever goes forward it will be in a different "configuration."

But don't let that stop the drama. Proceed.

kuYuri

IzumiK said:

Peter Jackson was producer.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Stinkles said:
hay guys I added a comma

Nothing has changed on the movie status. Blomkamp is precisely correct. If the movie ever goes forward it wil be in a different "configuration."

Is this the confirmation of the Arbiter being replaced by a sheep that I have been waiting for?

voltron

Stinkles said:
hay guys I added a comma

Nothing has changed on the movie status. Blomkamp is precisely correct. If the movie ever goes forward it will be in a different "configuration."

But this whole paragraph makes me hard

SketchTheArtist said:
"I was going to push that as far as [I could] until the studios kind of threw a noose around me. I was going to go as far with that as I possibly could. I wanted it to feel like the most brutal, real version of science fiction in a war environment that you've seen in a while. And Universal was on board with that. I don't really remember what Fox thought about it, but Universal seemed down with it. It would have been cool, it would have been a unique take on things, science fiction in a dirty, organic way."

... tell me Blomkamp is still involved?

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
A MC/Arbiter buddy movie would be great. Like, MC could be driving a warthog all crazy like and Arbiter is like "Woah dog! Get me out of here, these humans are nuts!" and then everyone laughs and it'd be great. I'm sure Brett Ratner would take the time out from making soulless schlock to helm the project.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Spire said:
A MC/Arbiter buddy movie would be great. Like, MC could be driving a warthog all crazy like and Arbiter is like "Woah dog! Get me out of here, these humans are nuts!" and then everyone laughs and it'd be great. I'm sure Brett Ratner would take the time out from making soulless schlock to helm the project.
Sgt. Johnson could be the sergeant that's always shouting about the mayor on his ass, and how they're loose cannons but damn good cops, and how this next assignment better be done by the books or it's their badges.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Stinkles said:
hay guys I added a comma

Halo 4 movie tie-ins on PS3 confirmed.

halo3chick.jpg

There is no doubt that Halo will be made into a film, it has made far too much money not to be recognized for its marketable assets in other mediums.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
The mysterious planet at the end of Halo 3 could be a chance for them to introduce an enemies that don't look like pissed off muppets or popcorn zombies.

watership

Stinkles said:
hay guys I added a comma

Listen, don't try and bring reading comprehension into a completely wonderful limited liability thread. Sheesh.

IzumiK said:

Well seeing that Kojima is basically Uwe Boll in the gaming industry with his crappy storylines IMO, why doesn't he just let Uwe Boll direct the movie? Seems like a match made in heaven right there.

FoneBone

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/more-on-halo-the-film-that-never-was/
Today when Microsoft is hailing its blockbuster release Halo 3 as the fastest-selling video game of all time, raking in more than $300 million in sales since coming out last week, a top Hollywood player involved emails me this response to Keith Boesky's comments that making the game into a movie would not attract a big audience:

"I like Keith Boesky and respect his knowledge. But his analysis re Halo The Film is way too statistical and simplistic. What he's really saying is that only the fan base will go and that's not enough to justiify the costs. What he's not taking into account is the possibility that the film is a great film on its own merits whether you've played the game or not. (How many people went to Transformers that actually played with Transformers --and that wasn't a good film in the storytelling sense). Any Microsoft motivation to make a film will be based on that central idea -- that a well-made film that works will drive additional Halo 3 sales and Xbox 360 sales.

"Keith is also wrong that the budget was the reason the film fell apart. Fox didn't like sitting in the backseat of production while Universal was driving the bus. Fox waited til the second that Stacey Snider left for DreamWorks and then went out of their way to make the new team at Universal feel insecure about their decisions to the point where they backed off and said they should make Mummy 3 instead! Fox never liked partnering on this film. They tried going directly to Microsoft to get Universal bounced while they were still partners. Look who ended up with the licensing rights on non-film Halo products -- Fox! What killed the Halo film was ego on the Fox side and timidity by the new team on the Universal side.

Kinda sad really. It seemed Blomkamp and Jackson were really invested in the project. I'm not sure how effectively a movie could pull of the Master Chief though. You just know they would pull a Spiderman and keep having half of his helmet blown off.

watership

Mr. Bunnies said:
Oh well, the movie probably had a crappy ending.

Like a Warthog running over the credits desperately trying to get to the "no vehicles with animal-like names were harmed in the making of this film" section? The devil you say!

GreekWolf

SketchTheArtist said:
I was going to go as far with that as I possibly could. I wanted it to feel like the most brutal, real version of science fiction in a war environment that you've seen in a while. And Universal was on board with that. I don't really remember what Fox thought about it, but Universal seemed down with it.
Didn't Universal make Doom? Seems they are pretty much down with anything.

Top Bottom