• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Critical Role: Voice Actors Playing D&D

Anyone else watching this? Started watching this about a month or so back and fell in love. Basically it was Matt Mercer and a few of his voice acting friends started playing it in their spare time 2yrs ago and recently this year started streaming it for Geek&Sundry's Twitch. Makes me want to play.

Link to past episodes

They live stream on Thursday's (this past thursday had guests Wil Wheaton & Will Friedle) at 7pm Pacific.

edit for cast list:

Matt Mercer: DM
Liam O'Brian: Vax'ildan; Half-Elf Rogue
Laura Bailey: Vex'ahlia; Half-Elf Ranger with Trinket the bear
Travis Willingham: Grog; Goliath Barbarian
Ashley Johnson: Pike; Gnome Cleric (currently not in group since Ashley is in NY filming a tv show)
Sam Riegel: Scanlan Shorthalt; Gnome Bard
Marisha Ray: Keyleth; Half-Elf Druid
Orion Acaba: Tiberius Stormwind; Dragonborn Sorcerer
Talissan Jaffe: Percy *too long a name to post here*; Human Gunslinger (ported over class from when they were playing Pathfinder)

Xero

I watch a few geek and sundry programs but haven't watched this yet. That being said laura bailey is extremely attractive, and I've been tempted to watch just for her.

Before this year I had never played D&D or had any interest in tabletop RPGs, but man oh man did Critical Role change that. Probably one of the coolest things I've ever watched online, Matt Mercer (the DM) is a fantastic storyteller and everyone who plays in their campaign does a great job roleplaying their character and getting into the story.

They've been running this game for a few years now and just started streaming it earlier this year and it's been a great success and everyone involved is really great to interact with. Got me to sub to G&S in a heartbeat. Highly recommended.

LuffyZoro

I watch a few geek and sundry programs but haven't watched this yet. That being said laura bailey is extremely attractive, and I've been tempted to watch just for her.

Titansgrave on Geek and Sundry is pretty great and she's in that too.

styl3s

Before this year I had never played D&D or had any interest in tabletop RPGs, but man oh man did Critical Role change that. Probably one of the coolest things I've ever watched online, Matt Mercer (the DM) is a fantastic storyteller and everyone who plays in their campaign does a great job roleplaying their character and getting into the story.

They've been running this game for a few years now and just started streaming it earlier this year and it's been a great success and everyone involved is really great to interact with. Got me to sub to G&S in a heartbeat. Highly recommended.
It really makes me want to get together some online friends and run a game via Skype.

This and the board game stuff Wheaton does made me sub

It really makes me want to get together some online friends and run a game via Skype.

This and the board game stuff Wheaton does made me sub

Around the same time that I found CR one of my friends asked me to join his Numenera campaign on roll20, which is like a virtual pen and paper rpg platform. Numenera is new so not as many people play it, but it's been an amazing experience. So much fun. I'm totally hooked now can't recommend getting a group together enough.

Pilgrimzero

roll20.net is a good site to play online D&D with friends. Has audio and video for the players are well as virtual maps etc.

As for Critical Role. Great fun to watch but in all my years of playing D&D have I rarely seen people RP that much. Most people want to play "themselves" as opposed to whatever race/class/alignment they are.

My current game with long time friends, its more joking and rolling dice then RPing.

And nothing wrong with that just IMO it's rare to find a group of actual roleplayers.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?

I'm interviewing her for my magazine on Wednesday, I'll let her know :)

Lyonaz

Yeah I love watching some G&S programs, Tabletop, Spellslingers, Co-optitude and TitansGrave. They're fun.

I remember watching the first D&D/RPG they played on Tabletop based on Dragon Age, stuff was hilarious and pretty interesting to watch.

Part 1
Part 2

Sou Da

Yeah I love watching some G&S programs, Tabletop, Spellslingers, Co-optitude and TitansGrave. They're fun.

I remember watching the first D&D/RPG they played on Tabletop based on Dragon Age, stuff was hilarious and pretty interesting to watch.

Part 1
Part 2

Good lord the birds in this game.

I caught an episode on YouTube and fell in love with it. Now a subscriber just to support it.

Mercer puts me to absolute shame as a DM. But watching has also shown me some things to make my game better.

Sami+

I really wish they had a podcast version. I love listening to GT's Tabletop Adventures when I'm at work.

Froli

Matt Mercer with his voice acting skills and improvisation is fucking amazing. After watching all episodes so far, IMO He is perhaps the best Dungeon Master out there

God tier DM.

Capella

I'm only on episode two and hopefully I can catch up on all of the episodes so I can start watching it when it streams. I'm loving this so far and Matt Mercer is a great DM.

Maximo

Fuck yeah subscribing to this thread, loooonve Critical Roles been getting into DnD over the last few months and this has been not only a great deal of amusement but also loosely helps in knowing how to play and how to DM. Currently learning to DM cause while I love my mate he's not that great at it :p Matt's such a huge inspiration.

Fuck yeah subscribing to this thread, loooonve Critical Roles been getting into DnD over the last few months and this has been not only a great deal of amusement but also loosely helps in knowing how to play and how to DM. Currently learning to DM cause while I love my mate he's not that great at it :p Matt's such a huge inspiration.

Problem is that DM's like Matt are exceedingly rare.

Kasumin

Started watching this 2 months or so ago. I'm already a fan of quite a few of these voice actors from their various game roles, so being able to watch them every week is awesome.

Matt Mercer is an amazing DM as well. The crazy amount of detail in the world and all of the quests he comes up with are amazing. Also, he plays all the NPCs and it's pretty hilarious. He's really, really passionate about D&D.

I got to see Laura Bailey and Travis Willingham at Otakon this year and asked them about it. It was pretty great!

I highly recommend giving this a watch, even if you aren't into D&D. The way everyone plays their characters is just amazing.

Sounds fun! Excited to listen to this.

It's a video not a podcast so you can do more than just listen

They'll be playing tonight @ 7pm PST with Wil Wheaton and Will Friedle (you might know him as Eric from Boy Meets World.) Wil Wheaton, of course, has the worst dice rolls in history so I expect shenanigans. Also cool that they got a shout-out in a Polygon article about the resurgence of DnD earlier today :D

I fully expect Wil to TPK his entire party along with somehow the other party retroactively with his dice roles.

He is great on it. Originally they started playing together as a birthday thing for him

Scanlon and Tiberius best characters.

MSScaeva

Neo Member
I need to make time to catch up to this show. I watched a bit of the first episode when it first started but never picked it back up again. I usually watch Rollplay for my tabletop RPG fix, but I'm sure I can fit in another show.

Maximo

Wil must have pissed off some angry god in his life never known someone to roll so low before, it's a beautiful trainwreck.

Sera O

Banned
I started watching this show not thinking I would be interested, but it really is great and the actors are really into it. I just listen to it like it's a podcast while I'm doing other stuff sometimes.

Matt Mercer is a great DM. He is excellent at creating vivid places and NPCs. I was impressed as I watched it, having never played before. The show inspired me to find people to play with, and now that I have, I am even more blown away by him. He elevates it to a level that ruins you for other DMs, and he makes it look easy.

Top Bottom