• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you buy HD Remasters... of 16-bit classics?

tearsofash

Tales of Destiny has one of the better looking remakes going from:

I want stuff like this to count. The obvious 16-bit games on a 32-bit system like Arc the Lad and this would look great touched up.

I don't have to have everything in 3D like Bionic Commando Rearmed, but I'd much prefer a touched up 2D version of a 16-bit game. I'd love to see something like Lunar or Phantasy Star IV touched up, but it would be awful if they added CGI cutscenes or something.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
You don't simply "update" the original art. You throw it out the window and make it again. There's a ton of room for error. There's also no guarantee that any given 2D game can look better in higher resolutions.

Honestly?

No.

And here is why - the jump from 2D to 3D is too large. I feel like a lot of games (such as metroid prime or even FFVI) would suffer from high resolution graphics. It would be too different, alienating those gamers who fell in love with the games to begin with.

The difference - just sharpening up last generation games a bit and totally changing how a 2D game looks. I wouldn't want that personally.

My thoughts pretty much. I don't think everything needs to be constantly updated with the times. Rereleases are fine to introduce the old to new audiences, but complete graphical overalls aren't necessary or even beneficial for most 2D games

If every old 2D fighter could look like KOFXII/XIII, then I'd be set for life.

I'm aware of the UM updates. Not my cup of tea.

I'm the opposite I'm hoping SNK continues to develop the UM series alongside HD KoF

Chunky pixels look so good to me

and they have such a huge library of character sprites they've developed for over a decade I'd hate to see it just disappear

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Yes.

3fhYt.jpg

Any amount of fucking money you want to charge me. Seriously.

Honestly I'd much more just prefer a service that would provide a way to legally purchase original ROM dumps of 8 and 16-bit era home and arcade games. A total pipe dream I know, but I want something more like GOG for old console and arcade games. HD remixes can just be so hit or miss for me, they are always tied to a specific system / service and the price is pretty much never right. Just give me an easy and convenient legal way to purchase the originals and I would be tickled pink, I'd me on MAME like 24/7, never going to happen though.

Anth0ny

Those aren't HD remasters at all.

They're remastered for HD consoles.

Unless HD Remasters=butchered art style changes like in TMNT and HDR. If so, I don't want them at all. Keep the sprites, give the games the Sonic CD treatment.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
With a last-gen game, you can run a straight port at a higher screen resolution.
Remakes of 16-bit games actually cost money, so don't expect to see a lot of them.

beril

Honestly I'd much more just prefer a service that would provide a way to legally purchase original ROM dumps of 8 and 16-bit era home and arcade games. A total pipe dream I know, but I want something more like GOG for old console and arcade games. HD remixes can just be so hit or miss for me, they are always tied to a specific system / service and the price is pretty much never right. Just give me an easy and convenient legal way to purchase the originals and I would be tickled pink, I'd me on MAME like 24/7, never going to happen though.

Ever heard of Virtual Console?

Of 2D games that have been remade with fancier graphics, are there any that are really faithful? By this I mean that you could look at the old and believe that it's a downsized and color-starved version of the new? I guess there's the iOS Phoenix Wright, since that goes back to the source material.

beril

megamanX ios
Less this

megamanX PSP
More this

With "modern" bells and whistles of course.

I have to agree with this. The iphone picture just looks cheap.

Trying to recapture the look of a low res pixelart game in a higher resolution/more colors almost never works. One option is to go for more artistic hand drawn look, but that's just as big of a change as going 3d, if not bigger.

Also high res 2d in general is hard to make look good. A lot of the time it looks really static and really flat. Having at least a bit of 3D instead of just lots of flat paralax layers can help.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Absolutely not. I'd much rather have the original low-res pixel art lovingly ported with a multitude of optional scaling/filtering options. Unless you're doing a full reimagining, new teams should not be allowed to fuck with the artistic direction of someone else's work.

Less HD Remix, more Sega Ages 2500 please.

abasm

Ugh. Please, god, no. You are among a very small minority that actually likes classic 2D games being remade in polygons.

Really? I rather like 3D conversions--they're infinitely scalable, both in resolution and framerate. Raster-based 2D games are problematic--as display standards change, their flaws become more apparent, or new flaws are introduced. (The thread regarding retro consoles and HDTVs comes to mind.)

Vector-based 2D games, on the other hand, are scalable in resolution. Tweened animation can be scaled by framerate, too. This type of art tends to get a bad rap because of the proliferation of shitty flash animation, but it can look gorgeous if done properly.

Despite all this, though, I know most people prefer the economy of the original art style. I'd be happy if more retro HD ports were done like the recent Sonic CD release--an expanded viewport, a better framerate, comprehensive filtering and sound options (scanlines, pretty please), and all of the best features of every release of the game (plus some new ones besides.) Instead of a full remake, a "definitive" release of the original would suffice.

LuchaShaq

Banned
5 bucks or less for anything earlier than ps2/xbox era
10 bucks for last gen.

40$ for N64 games with 3d?/Ps2 games for 20-30? Would rather light the money on fire.

If this started happening more often. I'd like to see the option to switch between new and old graphics on the fly, similar to what Monkey Island and Halo Anniversary do.

orioto

Good Art™
Just a quick post to say that, even if i dumbly called those pictures "remakes", they're more meant to be a new iteration than anything else.

And glory to pixel art and original graphics! It's nice to imagine how old things could look to see what could be done now, more than how those particular game should look now. They have to stay what they were!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The best 16-bit remaster for me is Sonic CD HD style/quality:

Xxmht.jpg

I hope Secret of Mana gets the same treatment with trophies/achievements.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
No. I played enough of the classics when they came out. I have no desire to revisit them - even with a fresh coat of paint.

Fuck yes I would buy them. You people who are blinded by nostalgia are completely crazy. Updating the visuals makes older games a lot more enjoyable in this day and age. SF2HDR was fucking awesome. Monkey Island remakes were fucking awesome.

Chrono Trigger, Zelda: LTTP, Super Metroid etc. remakes would be fucking awesome.

Odrion

Banned
mega_man_x_ios_iphone_ipad_ipod_touch.jpg

Less this

mega-man-maverick-hunter-x-20060109070251468.jpg

More this

With "modern" bells and whistles of course.
That PSP remake was god awful.

The kind of HD Remaster I want is something like Sonic CD. Improve the resolution, framerate, and put some thought into the pixel filter. No new assets, because you're just going to hire some jagoffs with half the talent the original designers had, and your new "redone" graphics are going to look more like Street Fighter Turbohgodwhy HD than Rayman Origins.

also 2D games will never, ever look like this
ToxicPlanet
. It's like saying you would love a DBZ Fighting game to look like this
xBKJN.png

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
They're remastered for HD consoles.

Unless HD Remasters=butchered art style changes like in TMNT and HDR. If so, I don't want them at all. Keep the sprites, give the games the Sonic CD treatment.

Damn skippy! If they were like Sonic CD, I'd buy 'me all! :D

orioto

Good Art™
also 2D games will never, ever look like this
ToxicPlanet
. It's like saying you would love a DBZ Fighting game to look like this
xBKJN.png

Hm, i don't really see why.. Vanillaware games looks a lot better than my art... Rayman origins to... You're tricked by fancy colors and stuffs but you know i did it, i know it's lots of copy and paste :p

Kokonoe

Banned
Sonic 3/Sonic & Knuckles
Super Mario World
Zelda A Link to the Past
Mega Man X (I know the PSP version, but i'd like an HD version)
Super Castlevania IV

Odrion

Banned
Hm, i don't really see why.. Vanillaware games looks a lot better than my art... Rayman origins to...
Rayman Origins looks great, but a screenshot on Rayman Origins still looks like a game. What you make are explicitly pictures. There's no way I could see anything that looks like what you make animate and interact with other objects cohesively.

And pfft, what you make looks a thousand times better than any screenshot of Vanillaware's games or Rayman. That's their appeal, and it's why I find your art great, but frustrating. They're so pretty, yet unattainable! Like some gamer version of space colonization.

I'd buy remakes for Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, Sonic the hedgehog, Streets of Rage series, Golden Axe, Castlevania.

Also, a remake for Flashback would be like a dream come true.

Top Bottom