• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, WE ARE GO.

WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL NeoGAF KID ICARUS: UPRISING THREAD
2toy2.jpg

By Masahiro Sakurai and Project Sora
Exclusively for Nintendo 3DS
1-6 Players
Supports Nintendo Network
Release Dates
JPN: 22nd March 2012
NA: 23rd March 2012
EU: 23rd March 2012​
Age Ratings
CERO: B
ESRB: E10+
PEGI: 12​
Japanese website - http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/akdj/index.html
North American website - http://kidicarus.nintendo.com/uprising/
3DS_Palutena Twitter - https://twitter.com/#!/3DS_Palutena
KidIcarusUK Twitter - https://twitter.com/#!/KidIcarusUK
Sakurai's Twitter - https://twitter.com/#!/Sora_Sakurai

Motoi Sakuraba
-Star Ocean
-Baten Kaitos
-Valkyrie Profile
-Shining Force
-Golden Sun

Yuzo Koshiro
-Shenmue
-Sonic The Hedgehog
-Etrian Odyssey
-Smash Bros: Brawl
-7th Dragon

Masafumi Takada
-Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles
-Super Smash Bros: Brawl
-God Hand
-No More Heroes

Noriyuki Iwadare
-Grandia
-Growlanser
-Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
-Radiata Stories
-Super Smash Bros: Brawl
-Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
- YS III

Yasunori Mitsuda
-Chrono Trigger
-Chrono Chross
-Xenogears
-Xenoblade
-Shadow Hearts
-Soma Bringer
-Inazuma
-Luminous Arc

What's in the box?

As you can probably tell from the bulky box up above, you get more than just the game. You get...
THE STAND
wy89m.png

Every copy comes with a stand to serve as an optional addition for the control scheme. This is not obligatory, but, as you'd expect from a Sakurai game, options are king.

THE AR CARDS
2eKeB.jpg

Each game ships with 6 AR Cards for use in the inbuilt AR Mode (see Game Modes). More cards will be made available from Gamestop, free in Nintendo Power and Game Informer, and from Club Nintendo.

And, of course...
THE GAME
nAYG7.jpg

As you might expect, I suppose.

Plot

25 years ago, Medusa, the goddess of the Underworld, mounted an invasion of the lands above. She rained terror down upon the land with a cadre of monsters, but was beaten back by the commander of the Goddess Palutena's army; Pit, the titular Kid Icarus.
Now, however, Medusa is back, and in eye-popping 3D.
In order to repel this second invasion, Pit is temporarily granted the power of flight by Palutena, and is sent down from Skyworld to the surface in order to do battle with Medusa's hordes. Thus begins a 12 hour-plus single player journey through the air and across the land, battling against screen-filling bosses, and eventually returning peace to the land...

Characters
1asxP.png

The hero of the story. The leader of the goddess Palutena's personal guard, Pit has been tasked with defeating Medusa's invasion. Although he has wings, they are largely for decoration; he can't fly without being granted the Power of Flight from Palutena.
It's reasonable to say that Pit is not particularly happy about this.
4b1aW.png

The benevolent Goddess of Light, and the main force standing against Medusa and her invasion. She sends Pit out to do battle on her behalf, and aids him with the Power of Flight, as well as any other powers she can muster.
And sarcastic comments. Lots of sarcastic comments.
invBd.png

As Queen of the Underworld, and the possessor of serpentine hair and a death gaze, Medusa makes up for what she lacks in subtlety with pure malevolent evil.
Having been defeated by Pit 25 years previously, she returns to do battle in glorious 3D.
bs9nP.png

With his huge sword, Magnus has plainly been taking lessons in subtlety from Medusa. He is unaffiliated with any side in the game, however; as the mightiest warrior humanity has to offer, he serves in a band of mercenaries, making short work of the monsters of the Underworld.
DuDJ6.png

Subtlety in Action Part 3: Dark Pit. As a dark-themed doppelgänger of Pit, he behaves in the time-honoured manner of dark counterparts of Nintendo protagonists; seeking out the main character and engaging him in battle. His true motives and aims are unknown.
Game Modes

Being a Sakurai game, Kid Icarus: Uprising features a huge variety of different styles of play.

SINGLE PLAYER

]Playing as Pit, you journey across the world, fighting the forces of the Underworld and seeking to strike down Medusa's invasion.

MULTIPLAYER

Kid Icarus: Uprising features both online and local multiplayer, and two types of deathmatch, each allowing up to six players at a time. For local multiplayer, each player must have their own copy of the game.

Light Versus Dark

1. Players are divided into two teams of three, the Light Team and the Dark Team. Each player chooses a weapon from their collection, and every weapon has a certain value.
  2. The two sides engage in battle! When a player is defeated, their side's Team Life Gauge is reduced according to the value of the weapon the player was using.
  3. When a the Team Life Gauge reaches zero, the last player to be defeated comes back as a an angel who is far stronger than the normal Fighter. The angel is Pit for the Light Team and Dark Pit for the Dark Team.
  4. If you can defeat the other team's angel, you win.

Free-For-All

1. You are fighting against all other players. The number of players is set between 2-6. The CPU will control any non-human players.
  2. Choose your weapons and powers, and let battle commence!
  3. Defeat an enemy and your score will increase. The value of the weapons they are carrying dictates the extent to which your score will increase. If you are defeated by an enemy, your score will decrease.
  4. The battle ends when the times runs out. The player with the highest score is the winner!

AR BATTLE

Thanks to the magic of AR, the camera scans the cards on the table in front of you, and the figures pop out to do battle before your eyes. The game comes with 6 cards in the box, and more cards will be made available from a variety of sources.

hkG7W.jpg

AR Cards Guide (SPOILERS)
With thanks to Nintendo World Report, A guide with some 200 of the AR cards for scanning.

Weapon Types
For a handy guide to the game's Weapon Fusion mechanic, please see UncleSporky's comprehensive post.
M6JEn.png

Blades are balanced, user-friendly weapons that combine close-quarters combat ability with proficiency at range.
4bxSk.png

Claws allow for fast movement, but their range is short, meaning you have to get close to your enemy to do any real damage.
8VIKA.png

These weapons fire fast homing shots, making them well-suited for medium-to long-range attacks.
hAn9p.png

Extremely long-ranged weapons that allow you to aim at and take down enemies from a great distance.
obK77.png

These weapons convert the user's own vitality into a damaging shockwave that homes in on nearby enemies.
D8iTx.png

Clubs are the most powerful weapon type there is: These incredibly destructive weapons launch shots capable of even piercing through walls.
CUjIz.png

These weapons launch individual bombs that explode on impact, causing damage to anyone within the blast radius.
iyGIG.png

Orbitars are twin weapons that float above the user's shoulders. They have a very long range, and are more effective when used against distant enemies.
ss3ss.png

Close-combat weapons, designed for enormous striking power. Though they have a short range, enemies won't get away once you've got them.
Reviews

Official Nintendo Magazine UK- 91%
Edge- 8/10
Famitsu- 40/40
Gamereactor- 9/10
1up- B+
EGM- 8.5/10
Destructoid- 5/10
Gameinformer- 7/10
Nintendolife- 9/10
Eurogamer- 9/10
IGN- 8.5/10
Cubed3- 9/10
Nowgamer- 9.2/10
JVN- 17/20
French Consoles+ mag- 18/20
Nintendo World Report: 9.5/10
GamesTM: 9/10
PocketGamer UK: 8/10
Metro UK: 8/10
TheSixthAxis: 8/10
GamesRadar: (in progress)
Gametrailers- 8.3/10
Impressions
Official Nintendo Magazine UK said:
It's a joyful, polished and beautiful shoot 'em up that's every bit as original as the NES classic itself. Uprising dances a merry jig along the thin line between rosy retro-reverence and modern and contemporary gameplay mechanics, utilising almost all of the 3DS's features while drawing heavily from its heritage. A rich cast of strange characters stars in a deceptively lengthy solo campaign (with more than a couple of twists and jaw-slackening revelations), while a solid, fun and tactical multiplayer mode and near bottomless cache of gubbins to collect ensures huge replay value. In effect, it feels far bigger than the console on which it appears, it's deeper than most console titles and more content-packed than any other 3DS game yet released. Pit might've been sorry to keep us waiting, but this is a wait worth every second.

Edge said:
Sakurai's prints are all over Uprising, providing a comeback that balances depth and accessibility with little compromise. The control scheme - move with the Circle Pad, aim with the stylus and fire with the left trigger - initially seems lopsided, but works wonderfully for the flying sections, while any slight clumsiness on foot is countered by a responsive dodge. Both modes benefit from an unexpected sense of ambition, too, sending you through clockwork shooting galleries that punish you for wasted bullets, and offering complex dungeons filled with traps.

The dialogue is awesomely cheesy. I love the constant references to the original game, as if it was a game. "Back in the eighties, this guy was just a snake" and a screenshot from the NES game.

It's very similar to Smash Bros in its rewards, and you have the challenge wall again from Brawl. And a ton of different weapons that can be fused into bigger ones.

I'm not really feeling the online though. Maybe it'll grow on me as I unlock stuff though.
The controls have grown on me, but not so much that it's okay. I'd still say the ground controls are definitely the games Achilles's heel.

The vistas in the game are fantastic, but I'm not completely blown away by the game visually. It's more fantastic like in, say, Xenoblade than in Uncharted, if you know what I mean.

And the framerate is rock solid.

Videos and Marketing

Screenshots

Friend Codes
With thanks to Codeblue...
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoL4QPZDXzWPdHJNZldRYVZ1Z0tHX3ZSWmdDVUpTS0E

Poyunch

I understand people complaining that OTs are becoming exceedingly bloated but going to the other extreme won't help.

fernoca

Now we get teasers/countdowns for OTs. :p

But yeah, mistakes happen; nice title.
When making a thread I'm always thinking that I'll press submit instead of preview. XD

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
THE COUNTDOWN TO OT

BEGINS

NOW!

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Shoot, I was rooting for this |OT|:

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| Bark like a dog!

WillyFive

Bark like a dog doesn't even seem that big a deal. Wasn't that just a random quote from the first trailer? What was great about that line?

totowhoa

Banned
Does anyone know if I'll be able to turn the dialogue off? From the little I heard in some videos, it sounded awful.

I'm 90% sure that I read that you cannot, but the article I read that in also said that in general the constant chatting varies even when you replay levels and works as a background element without getting repetitive or obnoxious. I personally won't believe that until I play it myself since some people have such low standards for what's passable or even good in games. At any rate, hopefully that's a sign that it will at least be bearable, even if some won't like it.

Best OP ever! So good it ended world hunger, poverty, and mainstream radio music in one fell swoop!

:p

I can't wait for this game though, I just pre-ordered it today!

I'm 90% sure that I read that you cannot, but the article I read that in also said that in general the constant chatting varies even when you replay levels and works as a background element without getting repetitive or obnoxious. I personally won't believe that until I play it myself since some people have such low standards for what's passable or even good in games. At any rate, hopefully that's a sign that it will at least be bearable, even if some won't like it.

I just hope it won't make me wish they'd kept Pit and co. mute like Link.

Thanks for the info. Some of the dialogue quietly going on whilst you're blasting through enemies wouldn't be too bad, I guess.

Boney

Banned
I just hope it won't make me wish they'd kept Pit and co. mute like Link.

Thanks for the info. Some of the dialogue quietly going on whilst you're blasting through enemies wouldn't be too bad, I guess.

Game's gonna have extensive voice work going on at all times. You better get used to the idea.

Top Bottom