• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI #211: Resistance 3 info- Glorious return of the weapon wheel!

MrPliskin

Banned
december2010cover-610.jpg

Subscribers are starting to get the new issue and Foxmann250 on the IG forums has posted some details:

Then Resistance:
- They recap R2
- Capelli started a family with Susan (Hale's Stepsister)
- Malikov LIVES!!
- They confirm 2-player co-op campaign (Capelli, Malikov, & John Harper [Capelli's partner]) are key characters (but no alternate story co-op like R2)
- They describe a couple scenes (some related to the leaked images)
- One of the multiplayer maps is in an African Prison
- Chimeran Plant Life (that explodes when shot) shows that the world is changing
- Describes some boat scenes from the campaign
- Talk about the new smarter AI (climb over walls, and through windows and stuff)
- Long legs jumping from roof to roof shooting down at you
- The Mutator:
A new weapon that shoots biological mist that causes boils and stuff on the enemy and then makes them pop hurting the other nearby enemies
Secondary fire makes them go insane and attack their buddies
- Other Weapons:
Bullseye, Magnum, Shotgun, Auger, carbine are all back... and all weapons are upgradable as you use them more and more
Weapons are also made to look more improvised so... grenades are shaped like food cans full of nails and such...
- Online was talked about but not much is known yet:
it says they wanna make it more organized and not a cluster like the 60 player matches in R2
- Also Ted Price handed the reigns to Marcus Smith to do alot of the other work
- Humans eating humans cuz lack of food... NICE!

-Move control TBD
-And jstevenson has confirmed that the weapon wheel is back!

***Mod Abuse***

From James on IG's forums:
it's totally the continuation of the story..... the world is shattered, the Chimera have basically won... and now its about survival and something very much in particular.

The main thing is, Capelli isn't going to NYC to save Jack or get him the Hale Vaccine. That vaccine widely exists in 1957 amongst survives. He has other reasons that will be made more clear later.

Beowulf28

MrPliskin said:
So I guess its safe to say the assault on russia the euro resistance was gearing up for in Resistance Retribution didn't go to well? Anyway R3 sounds good but I'm not ready to get hyped until I see some gameplay.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Do we find out WHY the chimera were even fighting? What did they want? Like we didn't find out what the Covenant wanted really until Halo 2/3...are we going to find out what the chimera want and if they can be defeated? Otherwise we're going to have some grave of the fireflies shi

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
MrPliskin said:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22871369&postcount=294

TTP said:
They might simply ignore it, in a way. That was the (sad) end of Natan Hale's history with the Chimera invasion. Period. Now the Earth is totally under Chimera control. You are one of the survivors having to deal with it. Perhaps you meet up with that guy (forgot the name) that killed Hale, now member if not leader of a desperate resistance group.

I was wrong about Capelli role but got the rest about right. :D

*Checks trophy collection*

MrPliskin

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Do we find out WHY the chimera were even fighting? What did they want? Like we didn't find out what the Covenant wanted really until Halo 2/3...are we going to find out what the chimera want and if they can be defeated? Otherwise we're going to have some grave of the fireflies shi

I'm guessing they're probably just "taking back" the planet that was theirs. They needed humans to repopulate, so that's what they did.

Either that, or they are using humanity to try to get to this 3rd race that is sort of hinted at in Resistance 2.

thuway

When can we expect gameplay details?

I want to know if -

Will there be more boss battles?
How are they tackling criticisms from R2?
Are the graphics getting more polish / being improved?
Any games that inspiration is coming from? (Uncharted 2 ..)

etc.

Is the co-op campaign going to be split-screen/online?
It would be cool if the weapon upgrade system carried into multiplayer and if it was like Ratchet and Clank (e.g reach level 5 and you get a cool new more deadly form).

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Maybe JS can answer this:

Can we expect gameplay footage before 2011 ?

electroshockwave said:
Is the co-op campaign going to be split-screen/online?
It would be cool if the weapon upgrade system carried into multiplayer and if it was like Ratchet and Clank (e.g reach level 5 and you get a cool new more deadly form).
Thats a good question.

yencid

Now that i think about it i definetly see this being revealed (gameplay) in GTTV/Spikes VGA 2010. Similar to how uncharted 2 was originaly revealed in gameinformers and then they showed the *fuck awesome* trailer for the game in Spikes VGA 2008.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
MrPliskin said:
Fersis: Fairly confident it's safe to say that Weapon Wheel is in. James tries not to give stuff away, but his smug responses are almost too telling :lol

heh, well, I wouldn't be smug if we were going to disappoint you all

Loudninja

badcrumble said:
I don't know why I was incredulous that the whole campaign is in a playable state right now. I mean, this is fuckin' Insomniac we're talking about here. :D
3 player story co-op with the weapon wheel and upgradeable weapons sound so good.

-Winnie-

I like how they're going for a darker, more post-apocalyptic theme in this one. Although it does have me wondering how they're going to resolve what happened at the end of R2...
And only 2 players in co-op? :(

AwRy108

Wonder if that 2-player co-op campaign is online or offline?

Pretty psyched that the weapons are upgradeable, sounds similar to R&C.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I wrote this in the other thread but may as well ask here now as this is the new thread regarding the weapon wheel.

Do we know if bringing the weapon wheel up will pause the game like in RFoM?

I actually liked this as it gave me time to think about my next move in a tight spot and assess my weapons and ammo, it added a strategic element to the game, for me anyway.

mr_nothin

Banned
-Winnie- said:
I like how they're going for a darker, more post-apocalyptic theme in this one. Although it does have me wondering how they're going to resolve what happened at the end of R2...
And only 2 players in co-op? :(
It's actually SP co-op though. Not that pseudo MMO crap.

Loudninja

AwRy108 said:

Pretty psyched that the weapons are upgradeable, sounds similar to R&C.
I hope its both but I doubt it will be online.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
AwRy108 said:

Both.

Lots of other good info in GI he didn't touch on... hopefully more of you will get it tomorrow! It's a great story with a ton of great new assets you have yet to see.

Loudninja

jstevenson said:
Both.

Lots of other good info in GI he didn't touch on... hopefully more of you will get it tomorrow! It's a great story with a ton of great new assets you have yet to see.
Ohhhhh nice :D

jstevenson said:
Both.

If you're playing locally will both players be able to earn trophies?
Also, is it drop-in/drop out?

Love the Resistance universe. And now that the Chimera have "won" I hope the sense of desperation and survival is really intense. Can't wait.

Weapon wheel! :D :D

No clusterfuck online!

2 player coop CAMPAIGN!! (not that stupid shit from R2).

Oh man I'm pretty happy right now.

I hope when they say "the carbine will make a return", they are talking about the R1 carbine. Best gun ever! Visible bullets ftw.

Humans eating humans! Cloven right?! I reallllyyyy hope they expand on the Cloven. They were really interesting.

jonabbey

Yay, weapon wheel. R2's "hey, we've got a ton of cool weapons, all of which you'll find right when we want you to use them!" got way, way, way, way old.

jonabbey

ghostofsparta said:
Weapon wheel! :D :D

No clusterfuck online!

2 player coop CAMPAIGN!! (not that stupid shit from R2).

Aw. I liked the 2 player COOP in R2.

Maybe Insomniac will bring back the text chat from the party menu in R1? GAFers had a great time for months getting on there and chatting before getting into the game.

jonabbey said:
Maybe Insomniac will bring back the text chat from the party menu in R1? GAFers had a great time for months getting on there and chatting before getting into the game.

True that. I think RFOM was way ahead of it's time with the party system. It was very easy and nice.

Darkatomz

jstevenson said:
AwRy108 said:
Both.

Oh wow.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I should be doing hw said:
Never bought R2, I think I'll just keep it that way and get this.

I'd ruv u if you spent $29.99 on a greatest hits copy and checked it out. Despite mixed reaction in places, we are still really proud of R2 and what we accomplished with it.

dralla

Capelli wasn't infected, does that mean no health regen also?

find another list online with more stuff [unconfirmed]

- Capelli started a family with Susan(Hale's Stepsister)
- Son is sick so Capelli needs to travel to New York to get an anti-virus
- Malikov is alive
- Co-op campaign confirmed (Capelli, Malikov, & John Harper) are key characters
- No alternate story co-op similar to Resistance 2
- Scenes described in the magazine, some are related to the leaked pictures
- African Prison is one map
- Chimeran Plant Life (explodes when shot) shows the world is changing
- Boat scenes from the campaign described
- New, smarter AI
- Climb over walls, through windows
- Long legs jumping from roof to roof shooting down at you
- The Mutator is a new weapon, shoots biological mist which causes boils and other elements on the enemy
- Then it makes them pop, which hurts other nearby enemies
- Secondary fire makes them go crazy, attack their cohorts
- Bullseye, Magnum, Shotgun, Auger, carbine returning
- Upgrade weapons as you use them more and more
- Weapons have been made to look more improvised
- Grenades are shaped like food cans full of nails
- Online discussed, not much known yet
- Want to make it more organized, not a cluster like the 60 player matches in Resistance 2
- Ted Price handed the reigns to Marcus Smith to do much of the other work
- Humans are eating other foods due to a lack of food
- Story involves Capelli trying to get the Hale Vaccine
- The vaccine was made by Malikov from Hale's blood
- Vaccine might be able to cure the chimeran virus
- Capelli is doing this in order to save his son
- He goes with Malikov to New York, St. Louis, etc.
- No more gas, everything needs to run off of Chimeran Energy cores
- The cores have to be stolen from chimeran ships

Interesting information there.

*sees weapon wheel has returned*

OH YEAH!!!

Edit: Wait, what? No R2-like co-op? Seriously? :( That was my favorite thing about R2.

Top Bottom