• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 4 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
J40R7yy.jpg

MOD EDIT:
After some discussion with other moderators, we're going to start cracking down on some of the meta-commentary, insults, and rule-whining in here. These two threads are intended for discussion of the television show, not drumming up some sort of a cross-forum rivalry over whether you've read the books or not. Let's make an attempt to be nicer and more civil. Knock off the insults directed at other posters and the other thread. Stop complaining about how things are structured and how you saw a poster in the other thread do such and such. In general, stick to discussing the show, and if you have an issue with something PM a moderator about it. There are a number of us reading through the two threads, and derails, jerky behavior, and other nonsense will be dealt with appropriately.

Game of Thrones is a television series on HBO based on the bestselling A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin. Game of Thrones is an epic, high fantasy series about the fight for control of Westeros which was inspired by The War of the Roses in medieval Europe. Though it's been labeled as fantasy, Game of Thrones is more about the struggle for power and family dynamics than it is about typical fantasy tropes like magic and elves. As co-producer and writer David Benioff put it: “If you have to just pick one word to describe it, it’s the word ‘power’ and how it affects those who are pursuing it, and how those who already have it try to retain it, and how those who are caught in the crossfire between the two are mutilated in the process.” In addition to complex characters living in a well thought out and developed world, the story boasts plenty of violence, sex, and other adult oriented content.

The fourth season premieres Sunday, April 6th at 9PM on HBO. The 10 episode season 4 will cover roughly the last half of “A Storm of Swords”, as well as some content from “A Feast for Crows” and “A Dance with Dragons”, the third, fourth, and fifth books in the ASOIAF series, respectively.

HBO’s Press Release on Season 4:
HBO said:
Encouraged by the Red Wedding slaughter in the Riverlands that wiped out many of their Stark nemeses, the Lannisters’ hold on the Iron Throne remains intact…but can they survive their own egos, as well as new and ongoing threats from the south, north and east? While an unbowed Stannis Baratheon continues to rebuild his army in Dragonstone, a more immediate danger comes from the south, as Oberyn Martell, the Lannister-loathing “Red Viper of Dorne,” arrives at King’s Landing to attend Joffrey’s wedding to Margaery Tyrell, and perhaps act on an ulterior agenda. In the north, a depleted Night’s Watch seems overmatched against the inexorable Wall advances of Mance Rayder’s army of wildlings, which in turn is being trailed by an even more formidable foe: the undead White Walkers. As if that weren’t enough, Daenerys Targaryen, accompanied by her menacing trio of dragons and army of Unsullied, is poised to liberate Meereen, the largest city in Slaver’s Bay, which could ultimately provide her with enough ships to sail to Westeros and reclaim the Iron Throne.

d8QEvzE.jpg

oS54BD1.jpg

Cast
The cast of Season 4 will be without a few of our beloved members (RIP), but not to fret, it’s still the largest cast on TV and there will be a handful of new cast members joining the fray this season. HBO’s cast page.

Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister), Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister), Lena Headey (Cersei Lannister), Emilia Clarke (Daenerys Targaryen), Charles Dance (Tywin Lannister), Aidan Gillen (Petyr “Littlefinger” Baelish)
96bnJpd.jpg
zPmPngb.jpg
HTvTWMM.jpg
YNXTkUk.jpg
ISMfTmO.jpg
xdozN3i.jpg

Jack Gleeson (Joffrey Baratheon), Kit Harington (Jon Snow), Diana Rigg (Lady Olenna Tyrell), Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark), Maisie Williams (Arya Stark), Isaac Hempstead Wright (Bran Stark)
nVT7zZz.jpg
MQioG1Q.jpg
DfBVsCq.jpg
YXFvK9V.jpg
E0Mjhdt.jpg
0U3waZg.jpg

Alfie Allen (Theon Greyjoy), Jerome Flynn (Bronn), Conleth Hill (Varys), John Bradley (Samwell Tarly), Gwendoline Christie (Brienne of Tarth), Liam Cunningham (Davos Seaworth)
axvfQQK.jpg
4FsyaRI.jpg
2B1PI2E.jpg
6Zz9sjt.jpg
QBi5Ncz.jpg
uqlikRS.jpg

Stephen Dillane (Stannis Baratheon), Natalie Dormer (Margaery Tyrell), Iain Glen (Jorah Mormont), Kristofer Hivju (Tormund Giantsbane), Sibel Kekilli (Shae), Rose Leslie (Ygritte)
kzHTXtb.jpg
pkBEbR8.jpg
WYfcf6Z.jpg
fAWWgCu.jpg
j0SLPbG.jpg
K6FabkC.jpg

Rory McCann (Sandor “The Hound” Clegane), Michael McElhatton (Roose Bolton), Iwan Rheon (Ramsay Snow), Carice van Houten (Melisandre), Jacob Anderson (Grey Worm), Thomas Brodie-Sangster (Jojen Reed)
35LgKgJ.jpg
d3XrfRX.jpg
5Ix2Z91.jpg
GAYF6xt.jpg
KJYHyKl.jpg
EOynR5x.jpg

Nathalie Emannuel (Missandei), Ciarán Hinds (Mance Rayder), Finn Jones (Loras Tyrell), Ellie Kendrick (Meera Reed), Kristian Nairn (Hodor), Gemma Whelan (Yara Greyjoy)
l2eIS8K.jpg
bFLp0lo.jpg
EZ2gLn1.jpg
PqKybAc.jpg
IjTPcF3.jpg
fjBGkMJ.jpg

Pedro Pascal (Oberyn Martell), Indira Varma (Ellaria Sand), Roger Ashton-Griffiths (Mace Tyrell), Michiel Huisman (Daario Naharis), Yuri Kolokolnikiv (Styr), Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson (Ser Gregor Clegane)
e1D0r87.jpg
uSl7KqQ.jpg
GX7EUsG.jpg
LECbSev.jpg
b9x9I6i.jpg
lg3EUOZ.jpg

Crew
The writing staff for season 4 includes David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Bryan Cogman, and George R.R. Martin. The directors for season 4 have all directed previous episodes of the show. They include David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Alex Graves, Michelle MacLaren, Alik Sakharov, and Neil Marshall. See the Schedule section below for a breakdown of writers and directors by episode.

BMitQJh.jpg

B7C7QrX.jpg

Season 4
Game of Thrones returns for its fourth season on April 6th, 2014. The season will once again consist of 10 episodes and they will air each Sunday with the exception of Memorial Day weekend (May 25th). Once the episodes start airing, I will house a permanent link to content roundups for each episode in this section.

Episodes
401: Two Swords (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss) | Content Roundup
402: The Lion and the Rose (Written by George R.R. Martin, Directed by Alex Graves) | Content Roundup
403: Breaker of Chains (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by Alex Graves) | Content Roundup
404: Oathkeeper (Written by Bryan Cogman, Directed by Michelle MacLaren) | Content Roundup
405: First of His Name (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by Michelle MacLaren) | Content Roundup
406: The Laws of Gods and Men (Written by Bryan Cogman, Directed by Alik Sakharov) | Content Roundup
407: Mockingbird (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by Alik Sakharov) | Content Roundup
408: The Mountain and The Viper (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by Alex Graves) | Content Roundup
409: The Watchers on The Wall (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by Neil Marshall) | Content Roundup
410: The Children (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by Alex Graves)

GTCyE1C.jpg

hDI7fVC.jpg

Trailers & Promos

Clips

• Any clips released prior to the season premiere will be posted here

Behind the Scenes

Promo Images

BB4CJwP.jpg

3YZsWIz.jpg

Links

GAF Threads
TV Threads:

Book Threads:

717YH0A.jpg

hgJ45.jpg

There are no rules!

Kidding of course, there is one spoiler-related rule. Any content from books beyond A Dance with Dragons needs to be appropriately spoiler-tagged. Please use the tag TWOW or ADOS so everyone is on the same page.

IdZpXS4.jpg

BEyGlDE.jpg

-Tim Goodman for THR: Game of Thrones review
The Bottom Line: Game of Thrones proves yet again why it's one of the rare genre series to not only be taken seriously but to prove its worth season after season. It's well-written, well-acted and has created so many wonderful characters -- who, of course, will probably die. This is a show with no rules -- and that's partly why tension and expectation are both always running high.

-Andy Greenwald for Grantland: [url=http://grantland.com/features/game-of-thrones-season-four-hbo-returns/]‘Game of Thrones’ is back and it’s peaking[/URL]
Game of Thrones is an intensely modern show, both in form and content. But it’s worth noting how strongly it resists the sort of online hyper-dissection that can either carry a series aloft or tear it apart, limb by limb, like a starving mob in Fleabottom. The show proceeds at its own stately pace, telling its own knotty story. Rather than be concerned that future seasons might mar the world that Martin, Benioff, and Weiss have painstakingly created, it’s probably healthier — for your sake and mine — to focus instead on the majesty of that world as it exists now. The night may well be dark and full of terrors, but rest easy: We’re still hours away from dusk.

-Onion A|V Club on S4 (for experts)
But the good outweighs the bad. Game Of Thrones was and is an astonishing achievement—a vast web of world-building and map-reading and politicking in made-up languages, while still relying on the close-up camera shot of a single actor’s face to draw the most drama out of a scene. That is still a marvel, and even while in the weeds, the results are still thrilling. A-

YMht45j.jpg

• The season starts on April 6th at 9PM, and will continue each Sunday after for 10 episodes (with the exception of May 25th).
  • Winter is Coming.

Why are people saying the show will catch up to the books when SoS had to be split into 2 seasons and Feast/Dance mixed together is potentially 3 seasons?

How do people know there are bits of Feast or Dragons in this season? I haven't noticed any.

PFD

Man I can't wait

Why are people saying the show will catch up to the books when SoS had to be split into 2 seasons and Feast/Dance mixed together is potentially 3 seasons?

How do people know there are bits of Feast or Dragons in this season? I haven't noticed any.

Hizdar was cast, so Danny's story is definitely moving into Feast/Dragons territory

Dysun

Ramsay/Roose/Theon ADWD Material
Brienne/Pod AFFC Material
Bran/Reeds ADWD Material
Dany ADWD Material

All of those will be present this year, and stretching that material out for 3 seasons is not going to happen. Will kill the pacing of the show

All of these are shown in the trailers:

-Dany and the Sons of the Harpy
-Bran and Bloodraven / his adventures beyond the Wall
-Theon and Ramsay, also Theon going to convince the Ironborn to surrender
-Brienne and Pod, it's obvious that she's going to be leaving KL fairly early in the season

dubq

Dude. Freaking Bloodraven was cast for this season.

Feast/ Dance isn't going to be anywhere near 3 seasons. The bulk of it will be polished off by the end of season 5.

We've got casting for Bloodraven and the Children of the Forest for Bran's story, Brienne's starting her AFFC material in episode 4, we've seen Jaime training with Bronn (replacing Ser Ilyn), Braavos and Theon at Moat Cailin in the trailers, we've got a casting for Hizdahr, and we've got an interview which states that we hear about the child Drogon kills towards the end of the season.

Seeing the Bran chapters this early? Fuck yes. Okay, guess they will catch up sooner than I thought.

How do they have the budget for the Wildlings attack on the Wall? It was so epic in the books, I hope they do it justice!

Jedi2016

Because Martin is slow as fuck. It'll probably be another two or three years before we get the next book, and maybe another five or six until the next one after that. That's another seven or eight seasons of TV, and only two and a half books to draw from at this point. I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if the show completely finished with A Dance of Dragons before The Winds of Winter even hits the shelves. I can almost guarantee that the show will have to take a hiatus at some point because they're waiting on Martin to write more.

What ARE they going to do with Bronn? They didn't cast Lollys so they're not going to be doing anything with that.

I suppose it's not that big of a deal, but I think it would be weird if he was still hanging around KL when Tyrion flees the city. That's what I really loved about their relationship in the books; Bronn abandons Tyrion to obtain power and it shows just how fickle he is as a character. I can't see show Bronn doing that.

After this season, there's going to be nothing for him to do really.

Two minute epilogue in 4x10 hopefully.

What ARE they going to do with Bronn? They didn't cast Lollys so they're not going to be doing anything with that.

I suppose it's not that big of a deal, but I think it would be weird if he was still hanging around KL when Tyrion flees the city. That's what I really loved about their relationship in the books; Bronn abandons Tyrion to obtain power and it shows just how fickle he is as a character. I can't see show Bronn doing that.

He replaces Ilyn Payne as Jaime's sparring partner?

I can almost guarantee that the show will have to take a hiatus at some point because they're waiting on Martin to write more.
Not a chance. They'll just do their own stuff while consulting Martin on what's coming up. They won't stop for him.

They're subbing him in for Ser Ilyn Payne. The actor's got terminal cancer, and Bronn's really popular, so it all kinda fits.

He'll be Jaime's buddy and sub in for other characters probably.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER

He needs to be around to tell Tyrion he won't champion him in trial by combat this time around, then his arc is pretty much over. It'll work without Lollys.

also, #StannisTheMannis

Snake

I hope episode 7, despite its Littlefinger-referencing title, doesn't have Lysa's flying lessons.

I don't doubt that the finale will be more packed than any other in the show's run, but Only Cat is too good to not get the penultimate cliffhanger treatment.

I really do think they'll save Lysa and Only Cat for episode ten. The title for seven could be referencing Littlefinger's marriage to Lysa and their arrival on the Fingers / at the Eyrie.

Believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom