• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita firmware update locks memory cards

Jucksalbe

Banned
Edit: !!!Before updating to 1.80 make sure to BACKUP ALL YOUR SAVES especially if they are on a different account!!!

Remember how you could change the PSN account on your Vita without changing your memory card and without formatting it? Well, as of firmware update 1.80 the fun is over. Your memory card is now locked to one account and this can only be changed by formatting the memory card.

If you switch accounts you are now greeted by this wonderful message:

lc0pA.jpg

Sorry for the bad picture (screenshot function doesn't work at that point), the whole message reads:

The memory card inserted in your system is linked with the following Sony Entertainment Network account.
[account name]
To use the memory card with your PS Vita system you must format the memory card.
If you format the memory card, all data on the memory card will be deleted.

[Cancel] [Format]

If you select "Cancel" the Vita will behave as if no memory card was inserted.

I guess this screws up more people than just me. It's an especially wonderful gift considering they just gave us PSOne games which a lot of people (or at least some) have probably spread across multiple accounts.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I guess someone was having a bad day at Sony HQ and decided to mess with people.

Sadistic fuck.

Bollocks

Remember how you could change the PSN account on your Vita without changing your memory card and without formatting it? Well, as of firmware update 1.80 the fun is over.
Bullshit, if you go to the recovery menu, wipe your vita and then select a temp account that message will show up if you insert a memory card that is tied to an account and that was before 1.8

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
tumblr_lnmx2wJ1X41qc0fhio1_250.gif

All jokes aside I really hope this is just some sort of screw up and not an actual "feature". :/

Jucksalbe

Banned
Bullshit, if you go to the recovery menu, wipe your vita and then select a temp account that message will show up if you insert a memory card that is tied to an account and that was before 1.8

This is not about a temporary account.

Edit: I know memory cards were always tied to a specific account. But you always could change that account without formatting. Now you can't anymore.

shink

I don't have a Vita so forgive me for my ignorance but this will only affect memory cards that have two regions of games/files on it?

So if you have a separate memory cards for each region and change PSN IDs then it's still okay?

Shai-Tan

Banned
Walled garden approach. I can imagine PS4 will be fucking fortified :(

you can change accounts at will on other walled garden like ios and PS3 (both also let you set up accounts in different countries - the only barrier is the region limits if you use credit cards to pay)

dab0ne

I wasn't planning on jail breaking my vita but now I think I might. I don't know anything about running a company but I certainly know how not to run one. Thanks for the lesson Sony.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Yeah I'd be mighty pissed if this change happened to me.

Oh believe me, I am. It's not like I create a thread here often. Especially since I just spent several hours testing Vita compatibility of US PSX games and then find out I can't actually use them (since my main account is an EU account).

iammeiam

Do you still have to reorganize bubbles every time you switch back and forth between cards? Because that would be annoying as hell.

Top Bottom