• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix PS4 app finally has HDR support!

Nice that it finally got added. I'll still use my XB1 S (and eventually XB1 X) for media playback/streaming since it has 4K UHD Blu Ray support, but more options are never a bad thing.

I mean, good, sure, but... are here any HDR-capable 4K TVs without a 4K/HDR Netflix app...?

Seems kinda pointless to use these apps on consoles (or any additional device you have to turn on for it) at all with the new gen of Smart TVs.

Dude Guy

I am fucking moist.

Edit:
I mean, good, sure, but... are here any HDR-capable 4K TVs without a 4K/HDR Netflix app...?

Seems kinda pointless to use these apps on consoles (or any additional device you have to turn on for it) at all with the new gen of Smart TVs.
This makes me happy because of the way I have my PS4Pro set up with my TV and AV receiver. My receiver can't do HDR so I have my PS4 connected directly to my TV with HDMI and connected to my receiver with an optical cable. There's probably a simpler way to do this but I'm lazy as fuck 😭

scitek

Nice. It never made sense that they played up the streaming capabilities as a defense for not including a UHD Blu-ray drive,
and then never actually supported HDR in any streaming apps.

None that I know of. The One S's Netflix app was borked with its HDR last time I checked, but the Amazon app was working great. As someone with a Vizio TV (no Amazon app until recently, and even now HDR doesn't work in it), that was a big deal.

The PS4 app is a but faster than my TV's native app, I mean it was serviceable but the PS4 is just much more powerful. Also some TVs, Vizio specifically, rely on casting rather than applications.

I am fucking moist.

image.php

Waikis

HDR projectors dont have smart features.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Finally. Did they update the app to remove the shitty auto preview "feature" though?

Still no 4k support from the Amazon app...smh

RedAssedApe

Banned
One thing I noticed on my tv is that launching of the app triggers hdr10 and even when watching sdr content it's using hdr10 pictures modes.

I think Xbox one s owners complained about this too...

Jolkien

Still doesn't do 4k right? Ever since I got my 4k tv. I pretty much do all my media through it. So idk.

It does ? I watched The Defender in 2160p on my PS4 Pro for the whole series. Just press R3 while a video is playing, you'll see at what resolution it's running.

_woLf

One thing I noticed on my tv is that launching of the app triggers hdr10 and even when watching sdr content it's using hdr10 pictures modes.

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup. This happens to me too. KS8000.

It's super annoying - all my normal sdr content is uber dark. I'd rather have no HDR over this.

Most tv's expensive enough to have proper hdr have netflix with hdr too. The problem is most of netflix's hdr kind of sucks. Especially the marvel ones.
What i do need is hdr for youtube on my tv. For anything. Even the native app only supports 4k.
Best hdr showcase is the planet earth 2 blu ray btw.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Any good shows to test 4K hdr on?

Search hdr to see all supported content. 4k for all 4k content.

It's mostly going to be Netflix originals. Although there are some shows like breaking bad and blacklist off the top of my head.

Meridian is nice for hdr.

I'm more often on a console, and it's easier for me to get to it. I just prefer having a single device and be able to instantly switch between apps->games->TV when I feel like it. There isn't really a benefit to use the built-in apps if you use a console frequently, outside of saving power I guess.

lt519

Yeah the KS8000 app is snappy and reliable, they beat PS4 to the punch so I'll stick with the native app. Glad to see it supported though as an alternate option if needed. Where they can really do some damage is a 4k storefront.

jrcbandit

Seems pretty pointless since every HDR capable 4k TV already has built in Netflix, Amazon, etc with 4k + HDR since their inception. And my TV is much quieter than the PS4 Pro ;p. Well I guess long term it is a win for when TV manufacturers stop updating their Netflix apps.

Orayn

Seems pretty pointless since every HDR capable 4k TV already has built in Netflix, Amazon, etc with 4k + HDR since their inception. And my TV is much quieter than the PS4 Pro ;p. Well I guess long term it is a win for when TV manufacturers stop updating their Netflix apps.

I was about to post this, but the app on my KS8000 has been kind of flaky as of late. It's nice to have another option that still includes HDR.

I was about to post this, but the app on my KS8000 has been kind of flaky as of late. It's nice to have another option that still includes HDR.

Every once in awhile I'll get the" can't play title message" in the Netflix app on my KS8000. It's nice to be able to switch to an alternative. Now we just need some more HDR material.

It's annoying that this is just coming now. Amazon doesn't even have HDR support on PS4 yet. But both Netflix and Amazon have it for the Shield and Xbox One S.

What takes so long to get this stuff pushed out? Especially if other platforms have it already?

wagamer

Yea happens with my tv too, hopefully they'll fix that soon.

And for me this is awesome news, my old receiver can't do surround via hdmi so I have to hook up the ps4 with optical, and that means no surround with the tv app. Before I had to choose between surround and HDR, but now I can have both!

ApharmdX

Banned
Nice. It never made sense that they played up the streaming capabilities as a defense for not including a UHD Blu-ray drive,
and then never actually supported HDR in any streaming apps.

None that I know of. The One S's Netflix app was borked with its HDR last time I checked, but the Amazon app was working great. As someone with a Vizio TV (no Amazon app until recently, and even now HDR doesn't work in it), that was a big deal.

Yeah the Xbox's HDR looks terrible on my LG OLED compared to Dolby Vision from the native app. Looks broken... so if the PS4 app works, this is good news.

Mashing

When I had my LG B6 professionally calibrated I was told not to use the apps on the TV as they will not use the calibrated setting on the TV (it switches inputs or something). Because of that I've been using my XB1S.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

Depends on if I want nerfed sound and a more annoying interface or not. It's generally more reliable on the PS4 Pro vs my Sony's apps for example.

Sugarmonkey

Umm, not really "pointless" for people like me with an Astro A50 that I exclusively use with my PS4 as I only get to play when my daughter is sleeping directly above me in the house.

MageBoySA

One of the TVs I'm looking at doesn't do HDMI out and I'm upgrading to a 7.2/Atmos reciever so this is a big deal for me. I'd rather pass all my content through the PS4 so I can make use of all of the audio features.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Or more use would be a youtube HDR update, as I think only Samsung TVs have HDR youtube support directly?

Yes. My Vizio has no built in apps, just Googlecast.

I Was trying to watch some Bojack last night and the HDR was on constantly which made everything all washed out looking. So I likely won't use this unless I'm watching an hdr show or they hopefully fix it.

EvB

I Was trying to watch some Bojack last night and the HDR was on constantly which made everything all washed out looking. So I likely won't use this unless I'm watching an hdr show or they hopefully fix it.

I think it’s th problem with HDr10 at the moment, every single movie or piece of content has its own HDR metadata, but he app cannot switch between them, it has to use one setting (which isn’t matched up with the content itself)
So pretty much pointless unless Netflix master all of their HDR content identically

pswii60

Still no 24p support though so it won't get any use from me. Meanwhile my LG OLED and Samsung UHD Blu-Ray both support native 24p on Netflix perfectly with automatic framerate switching - in addition to HDR (and Dolby Vision too using the TV). Catch up Sony.

Yawnny

People want everything all in the same place. They want to know they have a central 'hub' and commit to it.

Yes my 4K HDR projector doesn't have any built in smart apps.

Vashetti

Banned
Still no 24p support though so it won't get any use from me. Meanwhile my LG OLED and Samsung UHD Blu-Ray both support native 24p on Netflix perfectly with automatic framerate switching - in addition to HDR (and Dolby Vision too using the TV). Catch up Sony.

You do know Netflix maintain the app right?

Top Bottom