• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Confirms 53MHz GPU Speed Upgrade For Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekim

details from the podcast:
http://majornelson.com/cast/2013/08/02/mnr-486-marc-whitten-updates-us-on-the-progress-of-xbox-one/
- They start using the Xbox One at home
- Indie stuff getting detailed on GamesCom
- Marc Whitten was key to bring Minecraft to Xbox
- Developers have final devkits
- New graphics driver
- With this driver devs can write to the metal (23:23)
- Upclock of 53MHZ (23:55)
- It's an example where they get close to the final performance envelope

more to come

Confirmed:
http://majornelson.com/cast/2013/08/02/mnr-486-marc-whitten-updates-us-on-the-progress-of-xbox-one/

This morning will reportedly see some news regarding the Xbox One hardware. Xbox Live director of programming Larry Hryb (better known as Major Nelson), will be releasing a podcast with Marc Whitten detailing changes to the Xbox One's GPU.

The Xbox One will have a custom AMD GPU that is supposedly comparable to the Radeon HD 7790 (according to Digital Foundry). The 7790 supports up to 2 GB of DDR5 RAM, can handle 4K resolutions, and has a graphics clock of 800 Mhz (shy of the 1 GHz that the 7700 boasts). According to a Gamespot Japan report (since removed, but cached via Google) Microsoft has upped the GPU speed by 53 MHz since E3. Additionally, the design team has rebuilt the graphics driver to optimize performance.

Internal beta for the Xbox One hardware is currently running, and the operating system is being tweaked with new builds on an almost daily basis.

We've reached out to Microsoft for comment and confirmation.

Source:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...=vsIneqyWZrhhOm9i7tkzew&bvm=bv.50165853,d.dmg
Quote from the Podcast:
"Since E3, an example is that we've dropped in what we internally call our mono driver. It's our graphics driver that really is 100 percent optimised for the Xbox One hardware. You start with the base [DirectX] driver, and then you take out all parts that don't look like Xbox One and you add in everything that really optimises that experience. Almost all of our content partners have really picked it up now, and I think it's made a really nice improvement."

"This is the time where we've gone from the theory of how the hardware works--what do we think the yield is going to look like, what is the thermal envelope, how do things come together--to really having them in our hands. That's the time where you start tweaking the knobs.

Either your theory was right dead on, or you were a little too conservative, or you were a little too aggressive. It's actually been really good news for us, and an example of that is we've tweaked up the clock speed on our GPU from 800mhz to 853mhz."
a clock of 853MHz makes it a 1.3TFlop GPU.

Kudos to Examiner for breaking this first:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=618996&highlight=

Ydahs

Rebuilding their graphics driver is what interests me the most. Would love to know what type of optimizations they've been working on.

Montresor

Hey guys, Microsoft keeps improving their system with changes left and right. You know what this means? It's an embarrassment. It shows they have no confidence in their product. They have no backbone. Why are they bending over for the masses?

Or maybe it's good for all gamers?

magawolaz

image.php

ekim

Looks like Gamespot got the Podcast in advance and published the article to early.
https://www.google.com/search?q=sit...3,d.Yms&fp=5abc2398f5194bb5&biw=1920&bih=1016
here is the whole article in case it gets removed from the google cache:
Microsoft corporate vice president Marc Whitten has spoken about some of the changes and additions Microsoft is making to the current Xbox One development kits, including an increase to the GPU's clock speed and a new graphics driver.

Speaking on the podcast of Microsoft spokesperson Larry Hryb, Whitten said "this is the time, and this is the thing I think people are going to see as we get into Gamescom and people get their first look at new things since E3. This is the time where developers have the final dev kits in their hands, they're really working closely with us on how things have come together. There's some things that have really started to come together quite well."

Whitten also said that Microsoft's internal beta for the Xbox One was currently running, and that the hardware manufacturer was releasing daily builds for the console's operating system.

New additions to the Xbox One hardware since it was last shown at E3 include a new graphics driver and an increase to the GPU's clock speed, says Whitten.

"Since E3, an example is that we've dropped in what we internally call our mono driver. It's our graphics driver that really is 100 percent optimised for the Xbox One hardware. You start with the base [DirectX] driver, and then you take out all parts that don't look like Xbox One and you add in everything that really optimises that experience. Almost all of our content partners have really picked it up now, and I think it's made a really nice improvement."

"This is the time where we've gone from the theory of how the hardware works--what do we think the yield is going to look like, what is the thermal envelope, how do things come together--to really having them in our hands. That's the time where you start tweaking the knobs. Either your theory was right dead on, or you were a little too conservative, or you were a little too aggressive. It's actually been really good news for us, and an example of that is we've tweaked up the clock speed on our GPU from 800mhz to 853mhz."

Good. if the Xbox One sucks less, it would raise the baseline and make multiplats a bit better for PS4.

I would be concerned for unreliable though if I bought one.

Hey guys, Microsoft keeps improving their system with changes left and right. You know what this means? It's an embarrassment. It shows they have no confidence in their product. They have no backbone. Why are they bending over for the masses?

well you can read it too as they're listening and fixing the mistakes they've made, it's better late than never.

Striek

Can't announce an increase if you never announced a speed. But still will be good news, I hope they confirm more details. Gets rid of "only" 10% of the disparity though. Would love to see full-spec sheets of all three new systems (Wii U included).

Also calls into question the credibility of some people who said the opposite would happen.

gaming_noob

Man..there will always be the lingering "what if" questions on the back of our minds. If team had focused on providing raw power what would we have gotten instead?

If the xbone has over heating issues everyone will go back to this report and say 53mhz to many.

I think the development of xbone was very closed and blind. And that's why the unviling was ms's lowest low. Now that's out in piblic, an mattrick is gone, ms can take these last few months and really put their talented and passionate people at work. But that doesn't mean they are not behind, they are sprinting now though.

I didn't even know there was a GameSpot Japan. Why would they know details about an american console especially when the system isn't even launching in Japan this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom