• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what's next for the Switch iteration?

Several years ago Iwata stated that the home and portable Nintendo consoles won't be that much different from each other and essentially said that successor of the Wii u(Switch) will be a part of a family of devices.

What can we expect for Switch in the future? Considering that we got tech upgrades for the 3DS(new 3ds having more RAM and CPU), and this current trend of half generation steps, its almost guaranteed that there will be a switch iteration down the road, perhaps sooner than we think.. And Nvidia's tegra family of chips definitely falls in line with this.

One of the most obvious predictions have been a x2 Pascal 16nm upgrade which could potentially increase power by 50% and power efficiency by twice as much.

So is it fair to say we could get such a thing in 1-2 years, which could possibly give us a 600 GFLOPs console with nearly twice the battery life?

Or perhaps the most exciting thing to predict is when we'll get an upgrade that will be as powerful as the ps4 in GPU, with 8GB of RAM, and a similar CPU upgrade, with the same wattage, battery life usage, without getting overheated? Its also important to note that we don't need that power in handheld mode actually and could have half the power disabled to conserve battery life and overheating.

What do you guys think? 16nm seems likely in 1-2 years, and perhaps a 7nm will do it in 2019 for ps4 specs on a mobile switch iteration?

https://mynintendonews.com/2014/02/...helds-will-no-longer-be-completely-different/

Kickz

uZfUDcJ.png

No one knows, but my guess is that we won't see Nintendo releasing anything with bleeding edge tech. I also definitely don't see them releasing a "Pro" update for the Switch, especially not in a year or two.

PS4 level performance in 2019 on a portable is a bit silly to expect after they released a portable Wii-U+ (which is closer to PS360 than current gen) so long after that tech's release.

The Wii got one revision in Canada late in its life, and the Wii U never got one (why bother, admittedly).

The damn thing is four months old people.

Mediking

I already have a Switch so here's my input....IMPROVE THE BATTERY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMPROVE!!!

THE!!!!!!!

BATTERY!!!!!!!!!!

LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I already have a Switch so here's my input....IMPROVE THE BATTERY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMPROVE!!!

THE!!!!!!!

BATTERY!!!!!!!!!!

Either they figure out how to shrink all the chips or we see a giant break through in battery tech. Only way it happens.

I totally want a mini one. I like the current Switch, but for me it's too big for portable play.

We want better battery life, not worse.

Philippo

Nintendo Switch Dock Elite
-Spring 2019
-100~149$
-Internal hardware
-4k checkboard rendering
-internal HDD

Nintendo Switch Mini
-Spring 2020
-229$
-No dock included, but dock-compatible
-Smaller (Vita size)
-Improved battery life
-Same specs
-Bigger memory
-No Joy-Cons

Super Nintendo Switch
-Spring 2021
-300$
-New Gen
-Exclusive games
-New nVidia hardware
-Close or equal to PS4 in terms of performance
-4K checkboard rendering when docked
-Bigger memory
-Improved screen
-Redesigned ports layout
-Backward compatibility

ZOONAMI

IMPROVE!!!

THE!!!!!!!

BATTERY!!!!!!!!!!

Min brightness which is honestly fine as long as you aren't outside and the battery life is honesty pretty fucking good. Comparable or better than tablets if all you did was game on them even at higher brightness. What do you want? A 13000mah battery? Then get a portable battery charger and call it a day. If you want that from Nintendo the device would be twice as thick and cost at least $50 more. No thanks.

I'll happily buy a Switch Mini if Nintendo implements cloud saves and allows you to play downloaded games on multiple systems using the same account. If not, it's not worth it.

Mr Swine

Banned

So how is Nintendo and 3:re party Devs going to solve the problem of games having single joy con gameplay? If Switch Mini doesn't have joycons then people will get confused when they want to play 2 player games on a single switch in tabletop mode (which won't work)

-shadow-

Probably even more if these topics I'd guess...

Maybe the new chipset will be viable for a internal redesign? Anyone knows if that would be possible?

molnizzle

I want this so bad.

I'd still use docked / pro controller most of the time, but when I did want to take the Switch somewhere it'd be even more convenient -- and I'd have a real d-pad. This would be perfect for me.

Little Mons†er;243550185 said:
That Switch mini looks horrible

Goes completely against what the Switch is lol

Normal Switch would still be available for those who want that experience.

So how is Nintendo and 3:re party Devs going to solve the problem of games having single joy con gameplay? If Switch Mini doesn't have joycons then people will get confused when they want to play 2 player games on a single switch in tabletop mode (which won't work)

Switch mini wouldn't be the best choice for those people.

Either they figure out how to shrink all the chips or we see a giant break through in battery tech. Only way it happens.

We want better battery life, not worse.
Any reason why the battery life can't be better with a smaller screen? I'm no expert in this area though, just assumed that it could be equal or better as it won't need to power 6" screen.

Nafai1123

Banned
Dock elite compatible with current Switch would be awesome.

I would also like a future Switch XL that's actually the same size but larger screen. The bezels are huge.

Gator86

Same. My joycons might as well be attached to the Switch. That's the only time they're ever used.

Yeah, they're awful and I would never use the tabletop mode. A switch mini and cheap dock would be the pinnacle of the switch form factor for me.

WonderzL

Banned
I don't see them ditching the joycons. They will be in the next version. That's 100% sure.

I'm starting to remember the "gamepad-less wii u" posts.

MAtgS

Switch XL

-9-10 inch that would easier to read in tabletop mode.

-Larger joycons that would be more comfortable to hold.

-Larger battery=longer life.

Seems to me like the way to go.

No one knows, but my guess is that we won't see Nintendo releasing anything with bleeding edge tech. I also definitely don't see them releasing a "Pro" update for the Switch, especially not in a year or two.

PS4 level performance in 2019 on a portable is a bit silly to expect after they released a portable Wii-U+ (which is closer to PS360 than current gen) so long after that tech's release.
I dunno.. If they have the fans and the same watt usage, it could be possible. Handheld mode could be using 2.25x less power consumption/RAM/GPU and when it's in docked mode it will run full power.

molnizzle

I don't see them ditching the joycons. They will be in the next version. That's 100% sure.

Options. I think there will definitely be a smaller/more portable version of the Switch in time for the next mainline Pokémon game. It's kind of necessary for kids. Maybe they'll even do one with a clamshell design similar to a 3DS. They'll do something though.

They also should've done that.

The difference is now Nintendo is making good decisions (for the most part). Which is why they'll probably do a Switch Pocket.

WonderzL

Banned
Options. I think there will definitely be a smaller/more portable version of the Switch in time for the next mainline Pokémon game. It's kind of necessary for kids. Maybe they'll even do one with a clamshell design similar to a 3DS. They'll do something though.

They also should've done that.

The difference is now Nintendo is making good decisions (for the most part). Which is why they'll probably do a Switch Pocket.

No, they are not. lol You don't ditch you product's ideas. That's why the Wii U stayed the way it was and that's why the joy-cons are here to stay, really. The difference is just that the Switch has a better idea.

wanders

How is a portable Wii U not bleeding tech...

Gator86

Nintendo's newest handheld is a 3DS without 3D. Occasionally, they will drop a gimmick to make a cheaper, better product.

How on Earth would this be compatible with the dock? It wouldn't slide in due to the reduced size. The sticks would get stuck on the dock itself.

Yeah I think any ideas of original dock compatibility (without a connecting cable) are not going to fly. A mini would either not work with docks at all, ot it would have its own charging stand available.

molnizzle

No, they are not. lol You don't ditch you product's ideas. That's why the Wii U stayed the way it was and that's why the joy-cons are here to stay, really. The difference is just that the Switch has a better idea.

The joycons are the least important aspect of the Switch. The point of the device is to be a home console that you can take with you. A Pocket Switch would still accomplish that--and it'd still be compatible with additional joycons if you were into that.

OmegaDL50

I don't know how this would work. The analogs on the Switch mini would stick out too far making it impossible to fit into the dock.

The Dock is narrow enough as it is just to fit the Switch.

Also shrinking the unit into a Mini is most certainly going to diminish the battery life, the Switch as-is is basically 60% battery on the inside leaving little else for the circuit board components and fan.

The idea for a Mini would be nice I guess, but with the Switch itself already being portable as is, It may be somewhat redundant.

sanstesy

The joycons are the least important aspect of the Switch. The point of the device is to be a home console that you can take with you. A Pocket Switch would still accomplish that--and it'd still be compatible with additional joycons if you were into that.

They are an important aspect of the Switch and they won't diminsh its value any time soon.

You will see a Mini in 3 years or so when the time is right.

Top Bottom