• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are we ever going to see another Advance Wars?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I like Advance Wars a lot better than FE. FE scratches my story itch, but AW was a way better tactical game. Multiplayer was also a lot of fun. Hope Nintendo brings this back someday. =(

GhaleonQ

I don't know. Japan only got Advance Wars 1 and 2 as a package and didn't get DS Wars 2 at all, right? So, we're their market for them? *shrugs*

Blizzard

Banned
If I were to play only one Advance Wars game in my life, which should I play?
Days of Ruin, with additional bonus answer of Dual Strike for massive replay value. Days of Ruin had challenge maps and you could play versus maps versus the AI, but if I recall correctly Dual Strike had war rooms which gave you premade situations and rated you on how well you did them. People presumably liked the premade + rating thing more than making their own situations and playing through versus maps.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I don't know. Japan only got Advance Wars 1 and 2 as a package and didn't get DS Wars 2 at all, right? So, we're their market for them? *shrugs*

Pretty much, and the disappointing reception to Days of Ruin seems to have killed their motivation to try again for a while.

EDIT: to clarify, Japan got AW1&2 as a bundle because the initial Japanese release of AW1 happened to coincide with 9/11.

Metallix87

If we ever get a new one, I hope that it's like Days of Ruin in the sense that it's a brand new world and story with all-new characters.

Ra1den

Days of Ruin is the best mechanically, but ruined all the charm of the series for GRIMDARK APOCALYPSE

I don't need no charm, it had the best character designs by a million miles.

Pretty much, and the disappointing reception to Days of Ruin seems to have killed their motivation to try again for a while.

Days of Ruin was something of a flop? Damn, didn't know that.

Emitan

I don't need no charm, it had the best character designs by a million miles.

CZArj.png

Days of Ruin for mechanics, Dual Strike for content. Personally I liked Dual Strike more but I also understand that it's broken in many ways (so while it's great for single player it's not as good for multi-player).

Also DoR has online multi. Not sure how many people are still playing world wide nowadays but if you're interested it's there.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I realllllly want a new Advance Wars. I've been meaning to pick up one of the GBA ones again...

Edit : Yeah, I'm with billychu. The grim tone is balls. I want happy go lucky anime kids tearing each other up in tanks, not emo kids.

Everyone knows it's all about Dual Strike. So much fond memories with that game.

Oh and funnily enough, Days of Ruin was never released in Japan

Azar

Days of Ruin's story and characters are teeth grindingly generic and uninteresting. Even though they balanced out the units, I'd sooner play any of the older games again. Dual Strike was a blast, even if it was broken and went too far with combined CO powers.

I was able to start playing the original GBA Advance Wars, but never got 3/4 of the way through
Nell's stupid tutorials
before
getting to the main campaign
. :/

Also DoR has online multi. Not sure how many people are still playing world wide nowadays but if you're interested it's there.

Last time I played online it was completely fucking broken by AR / R4 users who had infinite move distance on all their units.

Days of Ruin is the best, even though Dual Strike has nerd-jugger as an unlock.
AWDS_Jugger_Alt.gif

Codeblue

Agree with Billychu completely. The charm is why AW2 and Dual Strike are my favorites.

Sami is totally better than Lin. No contest.

Baron

I like Advance Wars a lot better than FE. FE scratches my story itch, but AW was a way better tactical game. Multiplayer was also a lot of fun. Hope Nintendo brings this back someday. =(

I'm the opposite. I feel AW has the better cheerful fun story...about war, heh, but FE is a better strategy game. I never quite clicked with the units and mechanics of AW, even after playing all 4 games to various degrees. But with FE I understod it fully and enjoyed it much more.

Also,

256629-awds_lash.jpg

reminds me a lot of

jasika%20nicole%20sw.jpg

@MUWANdo

Banned
Days of Ruin was something of a flop? Damn, didn't know that.

It didn't do significantly worse in terms of sales, but they expected it to do better than it did. The new setting was created specifically with Western audiences in mind--I think they even had NOA help out with some of the character designs like Mr. Bear--but the general reaction wasn't positive, so they seem to have thrown their hands up and given up.

It probably didn't help that the NOE localisation was terrible, either.

Ra1den

Days of Ruin's story and characters are teeth grindingly generic and uninteresting. .

I feel the complete opposite. The sense of desperation was really palpable, it took bleak situations and amped them up to the max. Made for some really intense and hopeless feeling battles. Nothing in the earlier games ever came close to that feeling. Apples and oranges I guess, but in a game about war, I'll take Day's of Ruin's approach anyday.

Effect

If we got another Advance Wars I wouldn't even care if Fire Emblem 3DS came over. I really prefer the Advance Wars series. The problem is though like with so many series Nintendo doesn't really push it. I do wish Advance Wars: Days of Ruin had done better then it had but even if it did I'm not sure if it would matter. Fire Emblem has always seemed like the strategy series Nintendo has wanted to push.

I have yet to play the GBA entry though. I do have it's sequel Dual Strike. I'm just hoping the GBA game will be added the virtual console when GBA games start being sold.

Last time I played online it was completely fucking broken by AR / R4 users who had infinite move distance on all their units.

Days of Ruin is the best, even though Dual Strike has nerd-jugger as an unlock.
AWDS_Jugger_Alt.gif
Oh, that's a shame :(

Then I guess a better idea is to go and play with non-cheaty friends if you can find them then.

And if we're going to be posting pix of awesome AW chars, I'd like to see this guy jumping in:

5jdf6.jpg

Helmholtz

If a 3D Advanced Wars game came out, I'd be tempted to get a 3DS. And I have no plans to get a handheld system atm.
I loved AW 1&2 (never owned a DS).

Ra1den

It didn't do significantly worse in terms of sales, but they expected it to do better than it did. The new setting was created specifically with Western audiences in mind--I think they even had NOA help out with some of the character designs like Mr. Bear--but the general reaction wasn't positive, so they seem to have thrown their hands up and given up.

It probably didn't help that the NOE localisation was terrible, either.

I see...I'm really surprised they didn't release it in Japan at all, delays be damned.

Also, if I had to guess which characters NOA helped design, Mr. Bear would be my LAST guess lololol. Seems like more of a Japan targeted character.

She reminds me a lot of Shanoa.

Thankfully she doesn't have those creepy eyes.

epmode

but FE is a better strategy game.
I don't see how this is possible. Granted, I've only played a few Fire Emblem games but the series has lots of levels with hidden enemies and triggers all over the place which makes planning a good strategy kind of impossible without a test run.

FStop7

Banned
I loved Days of Ruin so much. First, the soundtrack was awesome. Second, everyone was so pretty. It was a post apocalyptic world in which only catalog models survived and went on to command armies.

Top Bottom