• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's stance on Wii storage: only "geeks and otaku" want that addressed

I like sending shit back in Nintendo's direction, so I decided not to post this delightful quote in the WiiWare thread.
Edge 190 said:
First Nintendo will not be concentrating any significant marketing spend on the service - journalists attending Nintendo's preview event were told that it was their job to spread the word about WiiWare titles via reviews and other coverage.
... when asked a pertinent question about the limited Wii system memory was raised, Laurent Fischer, managing director of marketing at NoE, easily slipped into talking about how "geeks and otaku" were the only people who want this issue addressed.

HUELEN10

Here here! I have boycotted putting money into the Shop Channel till the storage problem is fixed. We need Unlimited Channels and more storage because either you run out of channels before space, or you run out of space before channels.

dkeane

Well that statement is probably true but it doesn't mean the geeks and otaku should be ignored. But any info from NOE should be ignored.

That`s not NOE`s official stance, they wouldn`t use the term "Otaku" since the average person doesn`t know what it means.

It`s probably just an off the cuff comment from a drunken Laurent, but watch people here on GAF take it 100% seriously :lol

So they don't want money from geeks or otaku? I mean, I guess they have enough, but speaking as a geek, I do want it addressed, and I think it's in their best interest to do so.

Mrbob

Cold blooded, Nintendo. :lol Damn.

I thought Nintendo said they wanted to focus on the hardcore again? Mixed messages!

It's been obvious they don't care about the people who kept them afloat during the relatively rough times. But those same people keep celebrating Nintendo and holding out hope that Nintendo will give them something they want.

Holy shit. Why on earth would they refuse to market their digital distribution? In conjunction with storage issues I would not want to develop for wiiware if I was an indie.
Ill continue to hang onto iwata's words.

Nuclear Muffin said:
That`s not NOE`s official stance, they wouldn`t use the term "Otaku" since the average person doesn`t know what it means.
I thought that word otaku was interesting too, it made me think that this is coming from Nintendo of Japan directly and Edge noted that he "slipped into" the canned response.

Mrbob

I would be pissed though if I were a publisher trying to put games on WiiWare or VC. The storage space is much too small.

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm more interested in hearing Nintendo's comments about the % of people who stop buying downloadable titles once they fill their drive.

It has to be pretty insignificant unfortunately, or they'd do something about it.

Durante

And some people wonder why not everyone is overjoyed at the prospect of Nintendo domination in both handhelds and consoles.

HUELEN10

EmCeeGramr said:
Holy shit. Why on earth would they refuse to market their digital distribution? In conjunction with storage issues I would not want to develop for wiiware if I was an indie.
Ill continue to hang onto iwata's words.
How have you not lost hope yet? I wish I were you...

Alex

Minsc said:
I'm more interested in hearing Nintendo's comments about the % of people who stop buying downloadable titles once they fill their drive.

It has to be pretty insignificant unfortunately, or they'd do something about it.

Give it a little time. Sales for these games will probably dwindle , hard, over time. Especially since it's pretty much solely the "geek" audience who would be downloading WiiWare games anyway

All of the machines need hard disks, ones you can upgrade yourself. If there's one thing Sony did really well it was that. Took a couple of minutes to slam in a 34.99 120gb drive I found on Amazon..

Stench said:
Nintendo has forsaken you.

"You didn't buyed our consoles back then, you tried to condemn us to the oblivion to the third party state of humillation, why should be doing anything for you, bastards!"

dkeane

Minsc said:

Well if you read the threads here tons of people say they won't buy any games until Nintendo adds a storage solution, then you'll see the same people complaining that Nintendo aren't releasing enough VC games each week. It's amazing.

Haunted

Nintendo needs to do something - I only have like 500 blocks left!

Even though the homebrew scene will probably find a quicker, easier, and cheaper solution first. :lol

Ranger X

This is really short sighted from Nintendo.

They could have multiple EASY solutions that doesn't cost them much. This way, the storage problem would be solved and the geeks and otakus would spend alot more money on them. Right now this means Nintendo doesn't want money. Who uses their online services the most? The geeks and otakus. This means they should consider solutions according their audience.

HUELEN10

dkeane said:
Well if you read the threads here tons of people say they won't buy any games until Nintendo adds a storage solution, then you'll see the same people complaining that Nintendo aren't releasing enough VC games each week. It's amazing.
Well, some of us, like myself, who have boycotted the Shop Channel will not put more money in, but we still have Wii points that are waiting to be used.

Narcosis

Well, while Nintendo's reps want to label me as a "geek" and "otaku" for wanting a hard drive, I guess my money will continue to avoid WiiWare as I pass the time with downloadable games on the competition.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
This storage thing is so odd. You'd think that Nintendo would realize that most of the people buying wii ware games and VC games are probably the very same people who'd be the ones worried about the storage. I doubt people who don't give a crap are buying any or many games to begin with, so why not focus on the people who actually the service!?

Draft said:
:lol

This is what you wanted.

This is your Blue Ocean.

Drink deep.
1hcswl.gif

Ceres

Banned
The statement is absolutely true. Neither of my two brothers with the console care about the storage space. Hell, one has the core 360.

Doesn't mean they shouldn't address it. We want to give you more moneyz. Give us the chance.

HUELEN10 said:
How have you not lost hope yet? I wish I were you...

Miyamoto also said the limited memory was his one regret with wii hardware. I hope NOE is just out of touch with NCL again.

Top Bottom