• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection on PS3 gets a new update with fixes and improvements

Reiko

Banned
GJls2.jpg

Hopefully I won't have to see this anymore.

IrishNinja

i'm gonna need more impressions here when it's out - i gave away my copies of 2 & 3 here on GAF a while back and was really disappointed by the mess this turned into, would very much like to confirm the OP's details, as that sounds like it covers most of the bases.

Jawmuncher

I really don't like how this finally became more than playable because of a patch.
I'm still unsure if I should even bother buying it, might be better off buying them off amazon for PS2 and emulating them on PC, or hell just playing the PC versions (SH3 and 2 were on PC right?)

Jader7777

Banned
Is this a comparison between PS2 (left) and HD version (right)?

The one with the edge of the map exposed? That's the 'HD' version, it didn't have some fog effects (amongst other things) so instead of getting an errie lake edge you get what looks bad unfinished level design.

There also was some frame rate issues, sound delay, input issues, soft body physics were screwy so peoples mouths were in their eyes, they changed the (flawless) voice acting to some generic hollywood voice acting.

Pretty much sold all the fans a lemon and did a major discredit to one of the greatest games ever made.

Tomm Hulet is very professional *picks nose*.

Yes. The 'HD' version didn't have some fog effects (amongst other things) so instead of getting an errie lake edge you get what looks bad unfinished level design.

There also was some frame rate issues, sound delay, input issues, soft body physics were screwy so peoples mouths were in their eyes, they changed the (flawless) voice acting to some generic hollywood voice acting.

Pretty much sold all the fans a lemon and did a major discredit to one of the greatest games ever made.

Tomm Hulet is very professional *picks nose*.

ok, thanks for clearing that up. The pic is so small that I don't see what version looks "better", the right one's just foggier.

It's mainly to blame on the fact that a developer that had very little experience with porting games were given beta versions of two classics, had to port them over to two consoles along with trying to fix all of the bugs too. The absolutely disappointing generic new voice acting doesn't help either.

If only we could get a patch to bring back the old voices for Silent Hill 3, at least now I can actually start my SH3 playthrough now knowing that the framerate issues are gone.

Jader7777

Banned
I would suggest not even buying the game.

Don't pay for lazy, bad ports. You'll only encourage more of them by effectively voting with your wallet.

HINT: The PC version already plays at 720p, the highest resolution the textures can be viewed efficiently in and doesn't involve patches or broken dreams.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Don't pay for lazy, bad ports. You'll only encourage more of them by effectively voting with your wallet.
Considering the amount of work they had to put into the patches, I don't think this serves as encouragement for any developer.
At least they still try to do something about this, Ubisoft never cared about the faults in the PoP collection.

Jader7777

Banned
Rumour has it they simply shipped a beta build of the game. I would like to confirm this some how but I'm pretty sure the derps who currently run the Silent Hill franchise would like to keep it as an elusive mystery.

Jawmuncher

Rumour has it they simply shipped a beta build of the game. I would like to confirm this some how but I'm pretty sure the derps who currently run the Silent Hill franchise would like to keep it as an elusive mystery.

I recall a beta build was apparently all they had to work with.
I'm not big into how development work, but I would have though at least having the original games on discs would be a way to help with getting a better build of the game.

Anyway stuff like this is what really has me worried about these consoles when they can finally be considered "retro". Unlike a PC where a update for a game can exist online YEARS after it's release.

As soon as PSN or XBL say, were done hosting this stuff it's just gone forever no way to even download it and burn it to a disc like you can with the system updates.

While I don't play much on the PC, it's definetley the most friendly platform when it comes to playing older games.

Reiko

Banned

I'm still trying to figure out how Konami has one of the greatest HD Remasters ever made (MGS HD Collection) and the worst HD Remaster ever (Silent Hill HD Collection) under their belt. It just boggles the mind.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
It's not a rumour actually, the developers who ported this said that they had to work with an unfinished build because *gasp* Konami had lost the original source code. So what happened is, these guys had to do all the bug fixing again that the original devs had already fixed before shipping it.

http://www.1up.com/features/the-problem-with-preservation

Jader7777

Banned
Man. It's like the Mona Lisa in the Louvre

"Sorry dude bro, we lost the original or something here's a poster though."

brb head needs to go in cold water.

Sblargh

Banned
Does the patch makes it playable now? I never played these games and was put off by people telling me to not experience it for the first time on this format.
The patch change this?

Reiko

Banned
Man. It's like the Mona Lisa in the Louvre

"Sorry dude bro, we lost the original or something here's a poster though."

brb head needs to go in cold water.

They have no excuse.

According to company president Andy O'Neil, Bluepoint reverse engineers the games, rather than collecting the original source files and recompiling. "The problem with source asset drops is that you don't know if it's the final shipped data," O'Neil said. "People will go and make last-minute changes."

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/23/bluepoint-games-offers-insight-into-mgs-ico-god-of-war-remake/

BAM. Now you know why the MGS Collection was so good.

Jb

I'm still trying to figure out how Konami has one of the greatest HD Remasters ever made (MGS HD Collection) and the worst HD Remaster ever (Silent Hill HD Collection) under their belt. It just boggles the mind.

One was done by Bluepoint, the other by Hijinx.

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
I patched the game; the frame rate definitely seems improved. No more underwater running when outdoors.

The fog, though, doesn't look much different to me. That clear fog wall is still apparent, and when you come upon the first lying figure in the game (the "shadow"), it's still obvious what it is — it's not as occluded as in the original.

I didn't play as far as the Maria meeting to see how it compares. I'd need to see some side-by-side images to really tell.

Reiko

Banned
I patched the game; the frame rate definitely seems improved. No more underwater running when outdoors.

The fog, though, doesn't look much different to me. That clear fog wall is still apparent, and when you come upon the first lying figure in the game (the "shadow"), it's still obvious what it is — it's not as occluded as in the original.

I didn't play as far as the Maria meeting to see how it compares. I'd need to see some side-by-side images to really tell.

Sigh

Any Silent Hill 3 impressions?

Did they seriously not detail the entire patch? They were given a laundry list of problems to fix. The least they could do is give us a detailed list if what they DID fix, if not everything.

The_Monk

I will wait for true and kind GAF impressions to see if the problem was really fixed.

Downpour was also needing a patch, right?

Top Bottom