• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming September 2017 | He11o Darkest My Old Friend

uM6g9rg.jpg

Each month, the iOS GAF community hosts a thread for new game releases, rumors and discussion that define the fast-moving world of iOS gaming.

The OP will contain recommended games that released during the previous month. All the games listed will have been highlighted by the GAF community in one way or another. This way you can keep tabs on the best games and at the same time curate an excellent resource to look back on to find games you may have missed.

If you're a developer who wishes to have your game featured, please talk about your game in the thread and if the GAF community at large likes the game then your wish just might be granted. Please note that there's a difference between posting about a game you made and just advertising your game with no further interaction with the community, this thread is not for the latter and such advertising behavior is frowned upon.

Directory
1) Introduction & Recommended Games
2) Upcoming Releases, Past Threads & Other Links

c9l3j0f.jpg

Darkest Dungeon
Cat Quest
Nobleman: 1896
Shadow Fight 2: Special Edition
Strike Team Hydra
Cat Bird
Super Phantom Cat 2
Technobabylon
Power Hover: Cruise
Swim Out
Max & The Magic Marker Remastered
Piece Out
Bitgram
The Knight Watch

wcEfO6V.png

Minos Strategos - September 1st
The Guides Axiom - September 5th
Iron Marines - September 14th
Grapple Gum - September 14th
Through The Ages - September 14th
Morphite - September 20th

More releases to be added soon

IcBECrt.png

iOS Gaming August 2017 | Better Layton Never
iOS Gaming July 2017 | A day late, and 32 bits short
iOS Gaming June 2017 | What Would Apple Do (WWAD)
iOS Gaming May 2017 | Got 99 problems but 32 bit ain't one
iOS Gaming April 2017 | Canceled due to backlog
iOS Gaming March 2017 | Switch to iOS
iOS Gaming February 2017 | Providing escapism since 2008
iOS Gaming January 2017 | Swipe Right Into The New Year

Visit the January 2017 thread for links to all 2016 iOS Gaming threads
Visit the January 2016 thread for links to all 2015 iOS Gaming threads
Visit the January 2014 thread for links to December 2013 through November 2012 threads!

This website keeps track of all the controller enabled games. It gets updated regularly.

RmHPAM6.png

Genuine thanks to our iOS Gaming community for keeping these monthly threads alive!
Special thanks to Saucycarpdog for this month's thread title, as well as Tunesmith for his fantastic thread format and month after month of hard work in maintaining these threads

I should really say this more: thank you so much for these threads M_B! I think everyone here appreciates the effort and time you put into them.

Looking forward to Iron Marines and Through the Ages this month. Potentially Morphite as well if the controls are good.

I should really say this more: thank you so much for these threads M_B! I think everyone here appreciates the effort and time you put into them.

Looking forward to Iron Marines and Through the Ages this month. Potentially Morphite as well if the controls are good.
I'll be adding the usual details over the weekend, just wanted to get the thread up for now

bonesquad

Great (start to a) thread! Most of my gaming time lately has been on Switch, and so did I miss the news Playdek sold some of their games to Asmodee? Or is Playdek completely done now?

I saw Stately Play tweet that both Ascension and Twilight Struggle list Asmodee as the publisher on the App Store. Asmodee has had some good games, but not multiplayer-wise like Playdek was once king at. Ah, Playdek. Once so great, but they reached for that golden apple and failed. Hard.

Ooh, that Morphite game looks pretty cool.

I think I remember it around when No Man's Sky was coming out and thinking it had some things in common.
Might see how it is on Switch since it's listed on their site, but it would be cool to have on my phone or iPad.

RustyO

Thanks again / as always More_Badass. Always appreciate the time and effort you put into these monthly threads.

Fairly safe bet I'll be up for Iron Marines when it arrives.

killercow

Thanks for the thread!

In other news: Radiangames' catalog is back on the App Store and they'll all be updated to 64bit (+ hi-res). Everything's on sale for $1.

Ferulci

Thanks for the thread and thanks for the plug (I'm the dev of the Knight Watch)
The Guides Axiom and Minos Strategos look awesome !

Oynox

Thanks for the thread!

In other news: Radiangames' catalog is back on the App Store and they'll all be updated to 64bit (+ hi-res). Everything's on sale for $1.

Everyone should pick up at least Super Crossfighter which is an absolutely great take on the space invaders formula due to the switching sides portion.

awp69

Thanks for the thread!

Wow! Was just talking about them in the last thread. Fantastic news. All awesome games.

Looks like just Inferno 2 ($1.99), SideSwype and Devastator are 64-bit as of now. But great that they will all be updated.

Also looks like we’ll need to re-buy them all but I’m fine with that. Well worth supporting this dev.

Thanks MB for the thread!!!

Edit: Well, this is odd. Strangely looks like the radiangames games can be redownloaded on iOS 10 but not on iOS 11. Glitch?

awp69

Are you sure about that? Those are apps from 2014, thus you shouldn't need to buy them again once they are updated.

Just updated my post. For some reason it shows a price on iOS 11 but not on iOS 10. Let me see what happens if I “purchase” one on 11.

Edit: Yep, it’s asking me to buy it. Must be a glitch on the App Store. Because I can still download it again on my iPad Mini 2 on iOS 10.3.

baconcow

Card Thief received update 1.2 and a price increase to $2.99 USD ($3.99 CAD).

What’s new?

+ Added: The hideout with 10 new thieves
+ Added: Stolen Goods
+ Added: Replays for the Daily Heist
+ Added: Chest cards for Daily and Contract
+ Changed: Blinded enemies are always free to sneak past
+ Changed: The rope arrow won’t attract enemies
+ Changed: Owls can’t be shadow stepped
+ Fixed: Blind effect is cancelled when attracted by Noise-Arrow
+ Fixed: Cloud save conflict state
+ Fixed: several smaller bugs and issue

killercow

Just updated my post. For some reason it shows a price on iOS 11 but not on iOS 10. Let me see what happens if I “purchase” one on 11.

Edit: Yep, it’s asking me to buy it. Must be a glitch on the App Store. Because I can still download it again on my iPad Mini 2 on iOS 10.3.

It happens sometimes but I'm sure that if you press purchase it'll say that you already own it and let you re-download it for free.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
kill XCOM a month before iPhone 8

only make best games like Darkest Dungeon on tablet

what will justify the i8? Planescape Torment maybe?

PittaGAF

Great (start to a) thread! Most of my gaming time lately has been on Switch, and so did I miss the news Playdek sold some of their games to Asmodee? Or is Playdek completely done now?

I saw Stately Play tweet that both Ascension and Twilight Struggle list Asmodee as the publisher on the App Store. Asmodee has had some good games, but not multiplayer-wise like Playdek was once king at. Ah, Playdek. Once so great, but they reached for that golden apple and failed. Hard.

There should be an official statement by Asmodee soon.
'Soon' being the publisher/dev version of 'soon', so I'm not sure if this year :p

I'm being told Playdek is alive and kicking and this should be a great news (after the Unsung story debacle I was really worried myself).

An interesting note.
The change of publisher/owner was absolutely SEAMLESS.
In the past, every publisher that acquired other devs properties always told me it was impossibile to change ownership, so you had to buy again the apps most always.
It's obviously not the case.

So either Apple changed things or it was bullshit.

bonesquad

There should be an official statement by Asmodee soon.
'Soon' being the publisher/dev version of 'soon', so I'm not sure if this year :p

I'm being told Playdek is alive and kicking and this should be a great news (after the Unsung story debacle I was really worried myself).

That is good news. I haven't played Ascension online in ages so whatever, but if Playdek can get back to making games that are released that is a positive.

Card Thief received update 1.2 and a price increase to $2.99 USD ($3.99 CAD).

I should give this game another shot. I felt I understood the rules but could never put them into practice. The game felt like a random mess. Which maybe means I didn't understand the rules...

I should give this game another shot. I felt I understood the rules but could never put them into practice. The game felt like a random mess. Which maybe means I didn't understand the rules...
Card Thief is anything but random, you can see the outcome of every move and fine-tune and experiment until you have the perfect route. There is an element of randomness, but the rules are able to be learned and mastered

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Animal Crossing and Zelda on stage.

*crosses fingers*

i mean thats still not a reason to upgrade, as my Switch will get the real Animal Crossing

i just wish some of these pc ports like FTL, Darkest, XCOM etc would come (and stay) on iPhones

bonesquad

Card Thief is anything but random, you can see the outcome of every move and fine-tune and experiment until you have the perfect route. There is an element of randomness, but the rules are able to be learned and mastered

I guess I meant it felt random more than the game actually is random. Every turn rather than feeling like I was trying to make the best move or set up a good move, the game felt like I was trying to make the least crappy move. So trying to get a better score felt like luck of the draw. But again I'll admit that could be the fact I just suck at the game.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
An interesting note.
The change of publisher/owner was absolutely SEAMLESS.
In the past, every publisher that acquired other devs properties always told me it was impossibile to change ownership, so you had to buy again the apps most always.
It's obviously not the case.

So either Apple changed things or it was bullshit.

So, app transfer has always been seamless EXCEPT where a game supports iCloud. In that case, there is some technical blocking factor that has made it impossible to transfer apps.

That always felt like an odd and presumably unintentional limitation but I can understand how it could happen. But that is actually a real limitation we faced when trying to transfer one of our apps to another company. It's possible there are other things which are iCloud-esque which also create a problem (and possible this limit has recently been removed too).

App transfer is therefore only seamless sometimes.

PittaGAF

Thanks for the insight.

Asmodee may don't know how to properly do some things (like proper async :p) but they sure know how to acquire apps property.
Now that I think about it, they got also Pathfinder from Obsidian.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Sounds top, I look forward to that one. Interesting to see the response to the multiplayer question, although it won't be in the game the dev does express interest in perhaps pursuing it in future.
Rodeo-legacy games will never have multiplayer. Ever.

The developer(s) have promised multiplayer as coming in some form for every game since they released Hunters 1.

Matt Frost

I bought all Radiangames before and when i go to download some it says that i have to buy them, as in i never bought them... very strange???

awp69

I bought all Radiangames before and when i go to download some it says that i have to buy them, as in i never bought them... very strange???

Brought this up earlier. If you go to purchase them, it’ll then say you won’t be charged because you already purchased the item.

Remember this happening occasionally in the past but not in a long while and not on iOS 11 at all. But they should be “free” despite the price.

awp69

Wow. Lost Socks just got a HUGE update including level improvements, rebalanced game economy and checkpoints!

I absolutely adore the game but embarssed to admit I have not finished it because it is damn difficult. But looking forward to getting back into one of my favorite iOS games of all time!!!

Edit: Wait!!! It went F2P! :(

Not sure if the balance was tweaked for the worst in the process but time will tell.

PittaGAF

Rodeo-legacy games will never have multiplayer. Ever.

The developer(s) have promised multiplayer as coming in some form for every game since they released Hunters 1.

While sadly true, to be fair I actually played Deathwatch multiplayer during the beta, so they could deliver or at least they did try (as far as I remember DW was the only title that officially should have had multiplayer, the others where wishes).
It was really stellar and super fun (you fought squad vs squad against friends in special, very cool, maps...with proper async too that seamlessly switched on realtime if both players where online).
Unfortunately, the week before it was supposed to go online, Apple updated iOS and Game Center had all kind of issues for months, and Rodeo stopped its activities (for new content, they recently updated WHQ to 64 bits) before they could patch it.

It still stings....because during the beta I had really a TON of fun with the mp and would have guaranteed a much stronger staying power to the game.

TD:DR I actually think it will never come, and I think especially the WHQ franchise is less suited to mp and more focused on a solo experience, but eventually they could do it.
At least I hope :)

Moreche

I've sold my Xbox One and PS4 and purchased an iPad Pro as I just don't have the time and enthusiasm for consoles anymore.
I know iOS gaming was huge a few years ago but is it still as healthy nowadays or is it dwindling?
Thanks.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
I've sold my Xbox One and PS4 and purchased an iPad Pro as I just don't have the time and enthusiasm for consoles anymore.
I know iOS gaming was huge a few years ago but is it still as healthy nowadays or is it dwindling?
Thanks.
Stronger than ever! I recommend a good MFi controller. Really should be able to satisfy your gaming itch.

PittaGAF

L.A. Noir has been announced for Switch with gesture touch controls.
I wonder if somehow they can port it to iOS too.

Would be cool.

killercow

L.A. Noir has been announced for Switch with gesture touch controls.
I wonder if somehow they can port it to iOS too.

Would be cool.

They could. The Switch is technically inferior to the latest iPads (and soon iPhones) but the market still isn't there so we won't see it for a number of years if at all. The next game from Rockstar on iOS is going to be interesting, they are starting to get to bigger and bigger games after Bully and it could be GTA IV (would be quite impressive). But we also could see Manhunt or Max Payne II.

awp69

The dev of Lost Socks wrote a long post over on TA in regards to the switch to F2P. Basically, nothing was changed in terms of difficulty and, in fact, the game is probably easier due to the addition of checkpoints. The changes fix other things but added the ability to earn coins through IAPs or watching ads. Sounds like they did a lot to improve the game and also make it painless to existing buyer. No timers or energy, etc.

I, personally, am loving the checkpoints!

Oynox

The dev of Lost Socks wrote a long post over on TA in regards to the switch to F2P. Basically, nothing was changed in terms of difficulty and, in fact, the game is probably easier due to the addition of checkpoints. The changes fix other things but added the ability to earn coins through IAPs or watching ads. Sounds like they did a lot to improve the game and also make it painless to existing buyer. No timers or energy, etc.

I, personally, am loving the checkpoints!

Did they change the coin balance regarding buying skills etc.?

Top Bottom