• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf |OT2| You Can Stack Fruit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kokonoe

Banned
Credits for this post go to FearMyWrench

i4fB8clAqIFqB.png

Quick Help

Tideiyv.png

iWUCk2h2An4eD.png

Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Animal Forest: Jump Out in Japan)

Platform: Nintendo 3DS
Developer: Nintendo EAD
Publisher: Nintendo
Genre: Not City Folk (Simulation???)

Save Slots: 1 village, with 1 mayor and 3 additional players
Multiplayer: Up to 4 players both online and local play, no download play
Price: $35 MSRP
Blocks: NA: 6002 Blocks EU: 6336 Blocks JP: 8192 Blocks | Don't take these numbers as 100% fact yet, there's some confusion still.

Release Dates

Japan: November 8th, 2012
South Korea: February 7th, 2013
North America: June 9th, 2013
Europe: June 14th, 2013
Australia: June 15th, 2013​

New Features to New Leaf

Play as the Mayor! Build Public Work Projects around your village such as benches, fountains, campsites, bridges, new buildings, and more. Also, set a town Ordinance to control shop hours and more.

The Island returns from the original Gamecube version with mini games to play online with friends.

A new Main Street area across the train tracks with plenty of shops and other new buildings. If you played City Folk, this is basically a much improved version of the City.

New customization features allow you to add custom pattern designs to many furniture items like couches, pillows, chairs, and more.

Use QR Codes for easy sharing of custom pattern designs. I expect everyone in this thread to share!

Many of the holidays have been reimagined for this version. New versions of Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and more are available.

A LOT of new furniture and furniture sets. The developers say there's about 50% more furniture over City Folk. If you've played Animal Crossing before, you know that means a lot! Some of the new sets include the Balloon series, Mermaid series, and Ice series.

Decorate your village even more with new flowers, bushes, and bamboo.

The outside of your house doesn't have to be same as everyone else. With the new exterior parts available from Tom Nook, you can change your door, fence, mailbox, roof, and more!

The characters have grown taller! Say goodbye to just plain old regular shirts... Now there's pants, short sleeved shirts, long sleeved shirts, dresses, skirts, and more.

You can swim. You can stack fruit. Next-gen is finally here.

iHmQU9Aivv2BJ.png

The Village is, well, your village! It's the place you'll be spending most of your time in New Leaf at. Here's a list of some of the buildings you'll find around town:

Re-Tail

scr_20.jpg

A humble recycling shop in your village operated by two new Alpaca characters named Reese and Cyrus. Sell your items to Reese if you're too lazy to head out to Main Street or purchase new furniture. You can even put your own items up for sale at the store for the villagers or friends online to purchase. It's kind of similar to the Flea Market from the past games.

Town Hall

scr_01.jpg

The base of your operations as Mayor of the village! With your fancy office and eager secretary Isabelle, you can start the construction of Public Work Projects and enact ordinances.

Town Tree Plaza

m_mori3-130228a.jpg

The Town Tree Plaza is the base of the many holidays, events, and visitors you'll discover in your time playing Animal Crossing.. Whenever something is happening in your town, head over to the Town Tree Plaza! It's also where you accomplish your first act as Mayor: Planting the town tree. It even grows as you progress through the game!

Your House

scr_02_01.jpg

Arguably one of the most addicting aspects of Animal Crossing is decorating your ever expanding house. With
whole rooms in this version, you'll have space for everything! It doesn't come cheap though with the fully expanded house running
7 million
bells total.

Coffee Shop
(Public Work Project - Unlocked Later)

Join Brewster in his new standalone Coffee Shop! If you get friendly enough with him, you might even find yourself working a part time job as a barista at the shop.

Police Station

It's back from the Gamecube version! Choose to build either the Modern station with Copper or the Classic station with Brooker. Inside you'll find a convenient lost and found.

Reset Surveillance Center

If you choose to, you can build a manhole which will give you access to Resetti's Surveillance Center on certain nights! Inside, you'll find Resetti and his brother. Talk to them enough and you might just get their pictures!

Campsite

Build a campsite in your village and you might find some new villagers setting up a tent or igloo (depending on the season) in your town! Talk to them a lot and they may just choose to move in to your village properly.

i4Ng4un18UaHv.png

The Main Street shopping area is where you'll do the majority of your shopping in New Leaf. In addition, there's also non-shopping buildings located here such as the Museum. A great aspect of the game is that new buildings will be constructed and others will be remodeled as you play and accomplish goals.

Here's a brief list of the many buildings you'll find in the Main Street:

Able Sisters

The Able Sisters shop is where you'll head for all of your fashion needs. They sell shirts, pants, dresses, skirts, hats, glasses, and other accessories.

A new unique feature to New Leaf is the ability to share your custom created patterns using QR codes. This feature is very useful for sharing patterns compared to the previous methods.

Nooklings Store (Timmy & Tommy)

Previous players of the series will remember Tom Nook's shop but in New Leaf, his assistants Timmy & Tommy have taken over operation completely with Tom Nook
as a proper real estate agent. This shop is where you'll go to purchase new tools, furniture, wallpaper, carpet, K.K. Slider records, and more.

Museum

Head over to the Main Street Museum to donate fish, bugs, fossils, paintings, and statues!

Nook's Homes

At Nook's Homes, you'll find Tom Nook's brand new official housing agency. Here you can purchase parts to customize the exterior of your house including doors, fences, mailboxes, roofs, and more!

Photo Booth

For a small fee, this photo booth will take a picture of you for your ID card.

Post Office

The Post Office offers mail and this is where you'll pay your debt to Tom Nook through an ATM. You can also pick up DLC items through the internet here.

Club LOL
(Unlocked Later)

Dream Suite

Fortune House

Garden Shop
(Unlocked Later)

Happy Home Showcase
(Unlocked Later)

Kicks
(Unlocked Later)

Museum - Second Floor

Shampoodle
(Unlocked Later)

ib0CuVPfWZ19It.png

Those who played the original Animal Crossing on N64/Gamecube may remember the Island. It's back in New Leaf (no Gameboy Advance required!) with a selection of Island Tours (mini-games?) to play online with either your friends or random players through Club Tortimer. These vary from simple bug hunts to the more complex Hide & Seek and Fruit Maze tours. There's even an item shop on the Island operated by Kappn's family, you'll need to earn medals from the Island Tours to purchase the items.

scr_04.jpg
scr_08.jpg

Another benefit of Tortimer Island is the summer season all year long, providing the ideal location to hunt bugs and fish during the winter. Also new to the series is the ability to swim in the ocean either on the Island or back home at your Village. Don't forget your swimsuit!

iW5rrhPleVGty.png

Videos

Screenshots

ihdw0jahYJlX4.png
i5cgRVtPDY7da.png

ibcKu5a2KPD0eu.png
i2MNHaUWWgh49.png

scr_17.jpg
scr_15.jpg

scr_19.jpg
scr_21.jpg

Iwata Asks

GIFs

ibkv2xnxI0S3gj.gif

ibdTp4jTXrSOQx.png

Are you new to Animal Crossing or coming back after a long break? In this section, I've written down some handy tips and tricks for your first days in New Leaf.

Make Sure Your Clock is Accurate

Before you start playing, please double check and be sure that the date and time on your 3DS is as accurate as possible! Animal Crossing is very reliant on the real-time clock, it won't be as fun if your date and time isn't accurate.

Choosing Your Face

At the opening of the game, you'll be asked a couple seemingly meaningless questions. Your answers to these questions decide the fate of your eyes and face for the game. You can't change the majority of this later down the line so if your look is important to you, consider using this handy Face Guide. Just answer the questions as stated in the guide for the face of your choice!

The Money Rock

You might notice there are a number of rocks around your town. But don't worry, they're not useless! Everyday in your village, one of these rocks will be the "money rock". If you find that rock and hit it with a shovel, money bags will come flying out for every shovel hit until the timer ends! You might even want to consider digging some holes behind you to maximize your return.

Where to Sell?

There's two shops... Re-Tail and Nookling Junction? But where do you sell your items? It depends. For most cases, you want to sell to Re-Tail for 20% more Bells than Nookling Junction. However, Re-Tail will charge you for them to take you trash and other items which don't give you Bells. Nookling Junction will take them for free. So keep that in mind.

Buried Treasure

Look around your town... do you see any "starfish" or "X" spots in the ground? Take out your shovel and get digging! If you find a fossil, don't go selling it ASAP. Head over to the Museum in Main Street to have your fossils examined by Blathers. You can either donate them to the Museum (which will yield rewards in the future) or head over to Re-Tail for some quick Bells. If you find a gyroid... well....

ivlRmBQ0lUbHw.png

Can I play this game online with friends?

You certainly can! Almost everything that you can do solo, you can do with friends either online or through local play. Whether that's hanging out in your town, shopping at Main Street, or fishing and playing games on Tortimer Island.

What is Time Traveling/Time Travel in this game?

One of the fundamental aspects of Animal Crossing is that the game runs on a real-time clock. If you choose to, you can change the time on your 3DS or game to whatever you want, bypassing and ruining the real time aspect. In my opinion, this ruins the longevity of the game, and you'll find yourself growing bored of the game sooner. For this reason, many of us would rather not play with those who choose to time travel. Besides, you'll have more fun in the long run without it!

What's all this nonsense about not running? Why shouldn't I run?

Lots of people like to plant flowers around their village and even cross breed them for hybrid flowers. It's hard work and if you run through flowers, you'll weaken or even destroy them. So please, be careful where you run in other GAFer's towns. You're sure to piss people off if you ruin their flowers. Also, running causes grass wear and some don't like that either.

Is there StreetPass in this game? What does it do?

At the back of Main Street is the Happy Home Showcase. When your StreetPass a player with New Leaf, their house will appear in the Happy Home Showcase area. Feel free to take a look around their house for design inspiration and if you see an item you like, you may be able to order it for yourself!

Does this game use Play Coins? What for?

Play Coins can spent at the Nookling store to purchase Fortune Cookies for 2 coins each. When you open a Fortune Cookie, the fortune inside can then be traded for a Nintendo franchise item. These items range from a Samus Helmet to a Mario Coin to a Wii Fit Balance Board.

Does this version have real holidays?

Unlike the last portable version of Animal Crossing, this version offers all of the real holidays from the Gamecube plus many more. In fact, the gameplay of many of the holidays have been revamped to offer a new experience if you played them before.

How many save files are there?

Each copy of the game allows for a single village with four residents. (players) Only the first resident/player in the village can be the Mayor. For the best experience, I recommend playing with your own copy of the game with your own village to yourself, but that's not the say the game isn't fun in someone else's town too.

I hear there are new fruits in this version. Tell me about them?!?

Is there a character limit for Town and Character names? What is it?
Both the Town/Village and Character/Player names have a limit of 8 characters. Choose wisely.

What's the appeal?

Let's have Animal Crossing creator Katsuya Eguchi explain it:

Or Animal Crossing: New Leaf director Aya Kyogoku:

iA6OMRWR2HkxT.png

Looking for a white 3DS XL to be available in North America? This just might be the closest we'll ever get here. A bundle is available for $219 which includes a limited edition Animal Crossing themed 3DS XL and a digital copy of the game pre-installed on the SD Card.

iSNS9REyMlurt.png

i68Zy2XaKP6my.png

The Telegraph – 5/5
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/10096208/Animal-Crossing-New-Leaf-review.html

Gaming Age – A
http://www.gaming-age.com/2013/06/animal-crossing-new-leaf-review-for-3ds/

IGN – 9.6/10
http://ign.com/articles/2013/06/04/animal-crossing-new-leaf-review

Nintendo World Report – 9/10
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/34430

Polygon – 9/10
http://www.polygon.com/game/animal-crossing-new-leaf/3240

Nintendo Life – 9/10
http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/3ds/animal_crossing_new_leaf

Edge Magazine – 9/10
http://www.edge-online.com/review/animal-crossing-new-leaf-review/

EuroGamer – 9/10
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-03-animal-crossing-new-leaf-review

Joystiq – 4.5/5
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/04/animal-crossing-new-leaf-review/

Game Informer – 8.5/10
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/animal_crossing_new_leaf/b/3ds/archive/2013/06/04/review.aspx

GameSpot – 8/10
http://www.gamespot.com/animal-crossing-new-leaf/reviews/animal-crossing-new-leaf-review-6409125

Games Radar – 4/5
http://www.gamesradar.com/animal-crossing-new-leaf-review/

Destructoid – 7/10
http://www.destructoid.com/review-animal-crossing-new-leaf-254835.phtml

GameExplain – No Rating Yet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8ukZw0QzEQ

ivKMsOi2yi2PL.png

Town Visiting Etiquette

When visiting the villages of other GAFers, you should keep the following etiquette in mind. If problems arise, we have to implement some kind of a blacklist in here, but hopefully that won't happen.

- Be careful with your axe. Don't cut down trees without permission!
- Be careful of where you run and leave flowers alone.
- If others are trying to trade, leave them alone and don't touch their items.

Friend Codes

Philia and Mikor are managing the friend code form and spreadsheet for this OT. If you have questions or problems with the system, send one of them a friendly PM. :)

Want to view the list/spreadsheet or add your own friend code to the list/spreadsheet? Quote the post to see the link. Please do not share in the thread without email tags.

Need to have your entry edited for any reason? Contact one of our friendly spreadsheet managers: Mikor, Philia, Samurai_Heart, and Robin64. Remember, if you don't have a 3DS yet, you can fill out the form without a friend code and have one of our helpers update your entry later.

Use this website to find your UTC timezone offset for the form.

QUOTE TO SEE THE FORM LINK

iiZt3uYsTIgYN.png

IT WILL BE AT THE TOP OF THE POST

iXeqxejpy77eM.png

Hall of Fame/Shame of the last thread

ib2FjPkbEbcWb9.png

DLC (It's all free! No paid DLC in this game!)

The first DLC for North America is the Rainbow Screen. Europe is unknown.
rainbow-screen-dlc.png

Also, Best Buy will have exclusive DLC this summer.

Promotions/Deals

Europe: So Many Games! Get Animal Crossing: New Leaf free if you register three other select Nintendo 3DS games from this year.
http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Nintendo-3DS-So-Many-Games-Promotion/Overview/Overview-750393.html

United Kingdom: Get a free Isabelle figure and Town Hall model if you pre-order at GAME.
http://www.game.co.uk/en/animal-crossing-new-leaf-122844

collectible-figurine.png

Australia: Get a free Isabelle figure and Town Hall model if you pre-order at EB Games.
https://ebgames.com.au/3ds-152865-Animal-Crossing-New-Leaf-Nintendo-3DS

United States: $30 ($5 off) on release at Kmart

Notices

[June 5th] We have formed an IRC to keep things a bit less chatty in the thread. Quote the thread to see.

[June 2nd] Welcome to the Animal Crossing: New Leaf OT! I've been waiting 3 years for this game and it's finally almost here. :D A few parts of the OT aren't 100% complete yet but it's close. I hope everyone enjoys it as a lot of time went into this.

[June 2nd] I have spoiler tagged some buildings which are not accessible until later in the game. However, most of these "spoilers" are well known and even Nintendo's official websites mention many of them. So beware that they may be mentioned by posters in this thread without spoiler tags.​

Kokonoe

Banned
Fishing Maniac confirmed.

ixw8GOLkibL65.JPG

Sleeping on the job, eh!?

ibvic6hKrirEGd.JPG

I like the rain effect in this game.

iG0oX6HazXvqc.JPG

Muahahaha!

iblVpPbgG6ZY2F.JPG

Got the Hero Hat yesterday. (although the text bubbles are in the way, lol)

iY7IDOwOPzNzH.JPG

I finally got a good villager to move in! woo!

izn08IvgkaN2m.JPG

Really like these Tortimer mini-games, and the expressions that go along with it.

iPcan5eMWZXDF.JPG

Saw this neat rainboooow.

iYcYCyvWUV54R.JPG

And I found a loophole, or something...haha. You can drop your silver and I think gold items and give them to other players. I tested this out earlier with someone, but forgot to get a screenshot of it.

iGYOJB0MxzkIG.JPG

I think I'll start working on creating the Johto tiles soon since I'm pretty comfortable game-wise at the moment.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I figure I might as well put this here too!

Hey guys, I thought you all might appreciate this.

So, I found on youtube someone took all of the hourly songs and cut them into long extended tracks.

You can find those here.

I decided to rip the audio from all of them, and cut them down into ~3-4 minute versions, organize them all, and upload them.

I even made a little album art for it!

jbiOzadsK25oHs.jpg

If anyones interested, here's the full download!

Just a heads up, it's not all perfect, but I tried my best to make the cuts seamless and I think overall it's pretty good.

Tunic

Heck yeah, OT2! Bought my turnips today. Turnips are like the stock market game. Buy low and sell them high. You sell them to Re-tail and you must check your store for the prices. Joan does give a good description on how it all works when you talk to her. I bought 500 turnips.

Ok, last thread moved way to quick, reposting here:

To slow grass degradation is it better to save and quit or leave the game on in sleep mode until the end of the day?

I heard the game calculates grass deteriation on load. Also, does the villagers count toward destruction of flowers? Grass?

Whoo! OT 2 already. Seems like just yesterday we were freaking out over how long it was taking to get here. Anywho, I really need more storage space. Running out quickly.

suzu

Quick Links:

TIPS:

• You can stack fruit.
    Drag them on top of each other. Stacks up to 9.

• You can switch tools with Left and Right on the directional pad.
    You can also unequip tools by clicking Down.

• You can take screenshots by holding the L & R buttons.
    They will be saved to the camera app on your 3DS.

*Note: You can upload pictures by opening your 3DS browser, and going to i.nintendo.net. You must have a twitter, tumblr, or facebook account.

• Everyday there is always 4 fossils in your town that can be dug up.
    They are shaped like an X or star on the ground.

• I need to more bells!
    Head to the island at night time, after 7PM! Fish for sharks and catch beetles. You can borrow tools from the gyroid outside. Bring your loot back to town (by using the basket storage) and sell everything at Re-Tail.

• Catching Golden Beetles (and other skittish bugs)
    While the net is equipped, hold A. Now nudge the circle pad slightly so that you are moving very slowly. If the bug still flees, then you need to go even slower.

*Note: See this image for extra details. You may want to leave two trees in the middle to catch other bugs.

• Catching Sharks
    - Listen for the sound of the bobber. It will sound different. Click A as soon as you hear it.
    - Watch for the bobber to dip below into the water before reeling it in.

*Note: If you're still missing catches, then it's because you aren't clicking A fast enough.

FAQ:

• Where do I get a Axe and Sling-shot?
    Axes are randomly sold by Leif (gardening store). They will break after a few uses.
    Sling-shots are randomly sold at the Nookling store. You use it to pop the balloon presents.

• When do I get to use the QR Code option?
    Talk to Sable (the brown hedgehog) everyday at the Able Sisters. After 10 days (does not have to be consecutive), she will be friendlier and a huge sewing machine is unlocked.

• How do I get a villager to move out?
    The best way seems to be just ignoring them completely.
    After you've been ignoring them for awhile (a week or two), they will sometimes run up and try speak to you.
    They will say they are moving out, in which you can say yes/no to it.
    After saying goodbye, you should continue ignoring them until they finally move out of your town.

*Note: Isabelle's option for dealing with "problematic citizens" does not evict them. It only deletes any catch phrases that you or someone else may have taught your villagers.

• How do I wake up Cyrus (the blue alpaca)?
    You must have:
    - played 7 days since the creation of the town
    - sold 100,000 bells worth of items to Re-Tail
    - have 100 pieces of furniture in your catalog
    - have 50 clothing items in your catalog

• I got a gem from smashing a rock. What do I do with it?
    You can customize certain pieces of furniture with them by bringing it to Cyrus.

*Note: Everyday there is always one rock in your town that will contain a gem. If you hit a money rock with a silver shovel, you will get gems instead.

• How long does it take for trees and fruit to grow?
    3 days

• What do I do with perfect fruit?
    Bury them for perfect fruit trees! Grow more, and sell the fruit at another town for more profit. A perfect fruit tree will eventually die after a few harvests.

*Note: You can only grow perfect fruit that is native to your town.

• How do I get different kinds of fruit?
    - You can trade with other players.
    - Sometimes your villagers will gift fruit to you.
    - Tropical fruit can be taken during tours on the island and brought back to your town.

• Why are my trees withering?
    The sapling will not grow if it's directly adjacent to anything. You must have at least one or two spaces all around the sapling.
    Palm tree fruit (coconuts and bananas) can only be grown on beaches.

*Note: You don't need to water trees.

• How do I regrow my town's grass?
    Plant flowers on top of the dirt patches. Don't use the fastest run speed while in town.

*Note: You can still run on the beaches, the Main Street, and the Island.

• How do I get more flowers?
    The easiest way is taking them during the island tours and bringing them back to your town. The tour flowers will respawn, so don't worry. You can also buy some at Leif's shop.

• How do I get rid of a bee sting?
    Save and Quit. Or buy medicine from the Nookling shop. Or speak to the villagers (one of them might give you some medicine).

• Where is K.K. Slider?
    Unlock Club LOL/101. He DJs every night at 8PM, except on Saturdays. On that night, he will be playing his guitar.

• What is Club Tortimer?
    An online and instanced version of the island, where you can play with random players over the internet. You can mess around with the main island as much as you want, since any damage is not permanent. There are also Club exclusive items in the shop.

*Note: It costs 50 medals to buy a membership. The membership item is randomly sold at the island.

• How do I get a tan?
    Unequip headgear, accessories, and umbrellas. Stay in the sun on the island for a long time. Read this for details.

• How do I change my character's looks?
    You can't change your face after starting the game.
    You can change your hair style, hair color, eye color. You can also wear a Mii Mask. This is all done at Shampoodle.

*Note: Face guide. | Hair style and color guide. | Eye color guide.

• What the hell are gyroids and what do I do with them?
    They are just decoration. Some people like to collect them.
    You can always find at least 3 gyroids to dig up after a rainy day.
    You can also use
    them at Club LOL as decoration on the stage while K.K. is DJing.

*Note:
    They are possibly referencing haniwa. Google it!

• How do I get houses to show up in the Happy Home Showcase plaza?
    - Turn on Spotpass from the game's start screen.
    - Talk to Digby and turn on Streetpass.
    - Make sure the Wireless button/slider on your 3DS is in the On position.
    - Spotpassing requires an internet connection.
    - You will know you have new houses when a glowing blue (spotpass) and/or green (streetpass) dot shows up on your ACNL icon on your 3DS's home screen or notifications.

*Note: You can get freebies (balloons, ice cream, etc) from repeat(?) visitors!

Hasney

Anyone want to do some island stuff? You can also grab some apples IF YOU PLEASE.

Friend code: 2466-2059-6830

PM me yours or quote this with yours.

Okay, one thing that sucks... you have to use stylus for designing clothes. It's not nearly as accurate for doing diagonals and tiny details as just using your D-pad.

Hey everybody, this may be a silly question, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to actually acquire an item I designed. I've done the design and it's on display now, but I can't figure out how to get that shirt into my inventory.

I'm in love with this game. Don't have many friends or much time to play with it being my exam period until this Friday, but it's just so magic. Haven't felt like this with a game since... Well, Wild World.

My FC is 2836-1290-8073 if anyone wants to add someone from UK time who'll have a lot more time to play very soon. PM me if you do and I'll be sure to add you back. :)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
What are the highs and lows of turnips, roughly?

Hey everybody, this may be a silly question, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to actually acquire an item I designed. I've done the design and it's on display now, but I can't figure out how to get that shirt into my inventory.

Go to your designs, select the pro design you made, and select "wear".

OT2 already? My God.

If you go to the second panel in your menu (pencil icon), when you click on your design, options should pop up. One of them should be wear, and there you can decide how to wear it.

Marbles

Anyone need cherries?

UK gaffer.

FC:4339-2470-5701

PM me and i'll add you. Gate's open for anyone who wants to come visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom