• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

IZeUqGa.png

This OT is best viewed with the Dark Theme and best enjoyed while listening to 'The Weight of the World' by Keiichi Okabe. (YT)

hDM9zm4.png

DEVELOPER: Platinum Games
PUBLISHER: Square Enix
PLATFORMS: PS4 & PC
RELEASE DATES: Feb. 23rd, 2017 (JPN PS4) | Mar. 7th, 2017 (NA PS4) | Mar. 10th, 2017 (EU PS4) | Mar. 17th, 2017 (PC Worldwide)
TECHNICAL INFO: Native 900p 60FPS on PS4 & PS4 Slim | Native 1080p 60FPS on PS4 Pro
LANGUAGES: English & Japanese Audio. English, French, Italian, Spanish, and German Subtitles. (All Versions)
GAME LENGTH:
~30 Hours (True End), 55+ (Completionist)
DEMOS: North America Demo | Europe Demo
THEMES: 2B | 9S (JP PSN Account Required)
GAME SIZE: 46.7 GB (PSN) (Demo Size: 4.7GB | 2.32 GB Day One Patch)

CLICK HERE FOR REVIEW THREAD

BOXART:
5pzMpE8.png

0CnXC3C.png

What is NieR?

Sadly overlooked as one of the hidden gems of last generation, the original NieR was an action RPG released 7 years ago that told a story about a man trying to save his daughter from a seemingly incurable disease in a post-apocalyptic world nearing its end. Though it didn't release to critical acclaim, it resonated with many passionate fans who praise its story and music to this day. Directed by none other than Yoko Taro - yes, this guy - it shunned expectations and left a mark all its own, combining genres and shocking players with its raw storytelling. (Text Adventure Pun Intended)​

What is NieR: Automata?

NieR: Automata is an Open World Action RPG that places a strong focus on storytelling. Though you don't need to have played it to enjoy the game, NieR Automata takes place thousands of years after Ending E of the original NieR. Unlike the original however, Yoko Taro & his crew are this time backed up by Platinum Games, known for their high quality action games like the Bayonetta Series & Metal Gear Rising Revengeance, and they've been given almost complete creative freedom by publisher Square Enix.

In short, NieR: Automata is set to combine more of the deep, surprising storytelling of the original with a completely redone combat system created by some of the best action game developers in the business.​

What if I want to play the original first?
If that's what you want to do, you should take a look at Amazon for your country, or a local game store to see if they have any used copies. Otherwise, you should be just fine catching up to speed with either - or both - of these:

How long is the game?
Yoko Taro games include multiple endings, branching paths, and alternate stories, and as with all Yoko Taro games, there will be 'endings' before the actual end of the game - usually to mark timelines or reveal additional information - as a result, to experience the full story of the game and get to the true ending, expect
25-30 hours
. If you want to collect/upgrade/explore/do everything, then expect
55+ hours.

What's with that OT Title?

I've seen all the endings! Where do I go to talk about spoilers freely?

QtjZPzK.png

P9DDWn6.png

Special Message from Square Enix
Upon completing the first story route in the game (Route A), players are presented with the above message from Square Enix. Remember to play through the entire game, everyone!​

rzKCIUp.png

Game Synopsis

The distant future…

Invaders from another world attack without warning, unleashing a new type of threat: weapons known as “machine lifeforms.” In the face of this insurmountable threat, mankind is driven from Earth and takes refuge on the Moon.

The Council of Humanity organizes a resistance of android soldiers in an effort to take back their planet. To break the deadlock, the Resistance deploys a new unit of android infantry: YoRHa.

In the forsaken wasteland below, the war between the machines and the androids rages on. A war that is soon to unveil the long-forgotten truth of this world...

VHqiQpI.png

JgiBwS0.png

gSHLbKC.png

Okay, but why should I buy NieR: Automata?

I could just say it's to give this guy more money & more chances to get his crazy stories out there and be done with it - but that wouldn't be giving it enough credit. Knowing that, here are some highlights of what you can expect going into NieR: Automata:

• Platinum, on the Top of their Game:
    NieR: Automata combines smooth 60FPS gameplay inspired by Metal Gear Rising Revengeance & Bayonetta with RPG systems new & old and a seamless open world. Control 2B, 9S, and A2 as you use both melee and ranged attacks (often at the same time) against ever changing enemies & bosses in a battle to retake the planet from the machine lifeforms. Combine and combo inputs to open up entirely new attacks, pair up different weapons to allow for new combos or even simply switch your weapons around to discover completely new attack trees & specials.​
  • The Heart of an RPG:
    Described by the game's producer (Yosuke Saito) as "60-70% RPG, 30-40% Action", NieR: Automata invites players to obtain new weapons, unlock their stories, level up, pick weapon combinations that work for them out of multiple weapon types (each with their own strengths and weaknesses), and customize their characters attributes, move sets, and even HUD through installing and uninstalling plugin chips. (Just avoid uninstalling that OS Chip!) All of this is in addition to the Pod Support System, which can be outfitted with battle upgrades, maneuverability enhancements, or both.​
  • Yoko Taro's Wild Ride:
    If you've already watched Clemp's analysis videos for the NieR and Drakengard series, or played the games yourself then you know what I'm talking about. Call him a mad genius, a tortured artist, a weirdo, whatever; Yoko Taro puts out some of the weirdest, most shocking & touching stories in video games out there today, and he does it while switching genres, camera angles, and subverting expectations at every opportunity. Ever wanted to see how an Action RPG can go from Boar Racing to Top Down Shooter to Side Scroller to Bullet Hell Game to Text Adventure and back to Action RPG again? Now you can.​
  • Souls in the Shell:
    In a wonderful story-related combination of the above three points that will be immediately familiar to fans of the Souls games, NieR: Automata features a mechanic called the Reliquary System. (Android System in Japanese) When you 'die', your old body stays behind - with your items and plugin chips - and your memories/data are uploaded into a new body. If you come across your old body again, you can either retrieve your old body & equipment for a bonus, or reactivate it as an ally. If too long has passed, however, it may have become corrupt and will revive as an enemy, in which case you'll have to defeat your previous self. (Doing so grants a larger bonus than a regular Body Retrieval) If you fall against your past self, or fail to make it back to your body at all, your plugin chips & items will be lost. If you're online, you can even come across the bodies of other fallen YoRHa androids. Coupled with this feature are messages that you can leave for other players, which you can use to either warn or mislead.​
  • Full Customization:
    If adjusting your HUD, character attributes, weapon upgrades, and plug-in chips wasn't enough, NieR: Automata also features full controller customization & button mapping. If you don't want to use R2 to dodge, or play on Hard and don't need the lock-on, feel free to remap the controls as you see fit.​
  • That Music:
    If you haven't heard the music of NieR and its composer before, please do yourself a favor and get on that. Don't worry, I'll wait. Okay, done? Well good, because Keiichi Okabe is back again, and it sounds like he'll be blessing player's ears once more.
  • Character & World Designs:
    NieR: Automata boasts a unique view of the far-apocalypse, thrusting players thousands of years past the age of humanity and into an age of machines with character designs by the talented Yuya Nagai and Akihiko Yoshida. If the art used in this OT hasn't yet convinced you the designs needed needed their own bullet point, then click here to view a full album of concept art, character art, and enemy designs from the game.
  • Original NieR Remaster:
    According to a recent interview, if NieR: Automata sells enough copies, there's a possibility that some form of remake/remaster of the original NieR will be made for modern consoles or PC.​
If that's not enough to get you interested, be sure to check out the Trailer Playlist, as well as the GIF, Screenshot, and Artwork Galleries below.

gYVqrHj.png

Players who pre-order the game or snag a Day One Edition copy get the following bonus DLC:
  • Machine Mask Accessory
  • Grimoire Weiss Pod
  • Play System Pod Skin
  • Retro Grey Pod Skin
  • Retro Red Skin
  • Cardboard Pod Skin
Players who pre-order the game through Steam get the above DLC + an exclusive Valve Accessory.

Players who pre-ordered the Black Box Edition get all of the above DLC - barring the Valve Accessory - plus:
  • YoRHa 2B Figurine (~14cm Tall)
  • Hardcover Artbook (64 Pages)
  • Steelbook Game Case
  • NieR Live Soundtrack CD (13 Tracks)
  • Collector's Box
In addition, all Players be able to find the following crossover weapons in game:
  • Cypress Stick Weapon (From Dragon Quest)
  • Engine Blade Weapon (From Final Fantasy XV)
DLC (Costumes, etc.) outside of the above content have been confirmed, but specifics have not been offered.

(Click to View Album of Sweet GIFS like these | Credits go to Respective Users | Special Thanks to Exentryk & Raven777)

hphsNAY.gif

5c7dIN7.gif

(Click to View Album)

(Click to View Album)

(Click to View Playlist)

xH3H5rZ.png

NieR: Automata |OT| Rules:
  1. Be respectful and try to keep discussion SFW. (Otherwise please use spoiler tags!)
    [*]Refrain from posting spoilers. (Text, Images, GIFs, etc.) If you're even slightly unsure of whether or not something is a spoiler, please use spoiler tags. Example: 2B is actually
    very cool.
    [*]Posting screenshots and GIFs is welcome and encouraged, but throw some words in there too, contribute to the discussion!
    [*]Have fun!

* Special Thanks to mcz117chief for his help with structuring & checking the OT, as well as providing the Greek Names used in the character section.

DKHF

Nice OT, I'm reminded how much better the JP boxart is than the western one...

This is my most anticipated game of the year, looking forward to it.

Jb

Very nice OT!
I'm really tempted to pick up the Asian version so I don't "accidentally" get spoiled before the game comes out in the West.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
It's absolutely disgusting how much I played the demo. Absolutely disgusting.

I hope to play this sometime this month. Fucking college.

Synless

So this is out in Japan soon... Which means I can listen to the OST ahead of time? Let's hope that goes up very quickly.

Fisty

Great OT! One thing you might want to take a look at though

NieR: Automata is an Open World Action RPG that places a strong focus on storytelling. Though you don't need to have played it to enjoy the game, NieR Automata takes place thousands of years after Ending E of the original NieR.

And with that, I leave this thread for a few weeks!

DKL

Didn't realize that it's out in Japan in a few days.

Guess I was gonna double dip after all regardless of PC version status lol

Hektor

Great OT! One thing you might want to take a look at though

And with that, I leave this thread for a few weeks!

Grimoire NieR featured what basically amounts to an epilogue to Nier Ending D called Ending E, so OP isn't wrong

I really hope that it manages to really sweep me off my feet all over again like the first installment did last generation. One of my favorite titles receiving a follow-up that I never expected with involvement from Platinum Games being the little cheery on top that'll probably mark this as another memorable escapade from Yoko Taro! March 7th can't arrive soon enough!

Koyuga

Oh fuck, this game comes out this month too? And here I was worried I wouldn't have time for Horizon with Zelda on the... horizon. Guess HZD is gonna have to wait, that Nier demo was just too fucking good and took me by complete surprise. Hadn't had that much fun with an action game since Revengaence.

Top Bottom