• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony X900E settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

hitlerat

After some great analysis:

The best 4K TVS for gaming
Sony X900E - Best Overall

The Best Gaming TVs - Summer 2017
Best Mid-Range TV for Gaming : The Winner: Sony X900E

For a mid-range option, we recommend the Sony X900E. It's a versatile 4k LED TV that's especially good for playing video games, thanks to its low input lag and motion blur. Thanks to its good value compared to the competing Samsung MU8000 and LG SJ8500, it's a good choice if you want some of the best picture quality found on an LED TV .

It doesn't have blacks as deep as what an OLED TV can do, but it's still a great performer in a dark room thanks to its well-executed local dimming feature. It's brighter by a fair margin too, which is great if you planned to use it in a well-lit environment.

Overall, the X900E is sure to please most gamers, especially if it isn't the only thing it's going to be used for. It's the best alternative to OLEDs if they are out of your budget.

I think it will be great have some settings discuss about that tv here

Rtings settings :
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900e/settings?uxtv=a5bc

Avs settings :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFsRJ3EU8Dg
Game Mode
Brightness 20 (Max on HDR)
Contrast 90
Gamma 0
Black Level 50
Adv. contrast enhancer Off
Auto local dimming Medium
X-tended Dynamic Range Off (High on HDR)

Colour 50
Hue 0
Colour temperature Expert 1
R-Gain Max
G-Gain -3
B-Gain -8
Live Color off

Sharpness 50
Reality Creation Off
Smooth gradation Off

Motionflow Off

Chinbo37

Do you have settings for normal movies and TV watching etc?

I know its a gaming forum but it would be nice. Im planning on grabbing this TV

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
So is this the update to the X800D?

I need a new monitor for my PC and was thinking about this TV.

I really don't recommend you suggest for people to use those post-processing effects like black adjust and adv contrast enhance. They are especially bad to recommend on a gaming website where games already do their own post-effects. You also want to keep the response time as low as possible, so leaving that stuff off is also recommended.

Should also note that brightness is literally up to the users choice and that there is no correct brightness. It should be kept on the low side to reduce eye strain in a dark room and kept high for use in a bright room (like a living room).

Also noting that you suggest turning up the sharpness which is a super no-go for games. If you want a sharper image, I would more-so recommend turning reality creation to auto. Do note, that while details will be sharper, you will get dithering on nice 4K edges. It's nice for non-native resolution games, so maybe try and only use it then.

Really, use RTINGS settings besides the color calibration. They are the truly tested settings and will get you the most accurate picture you can get without tools. I do, however, suggest that everyone switch the color temperature from "Expert 1" to "Warm"

A lot of games/media author their content on the warm side of things, but what I've found is that Expert 1 is pretty much a "piss filter" it yellows nice blue skies and turns whites to yellow. Change it to Warm and see if you like it.

hitlerat

I really don't recommend you suggest for people to use those post-processing effects like black adjust and adv contrast enhance. They are especially bad to recommend on a gaming website where games already do their own post-effects. You also want to keep the response time as low as possible, so leaving that stuff off is also recommended.

Should also note that brightness is literally up to the users choice and that there is no correct brightness. It should be kept on the low side to reduce eye strain in a dark room and kept high for use in a bright room (like a living room).

Also noting that you suggest turning up the sharpness which is a super no-go for games. If you want a sharper image, I would more-so recommend turning reality creation to auto. Do note, that while details will be sharper, you will get dithering on nice 4K edges. It's nice for non-native resolution games, so maybe try and only use it then.

Really, use RTINGS settings besides the color calibration. They are the truly tested settings and will get you the most accurate picture you can get without tools. I do, however, suggest that everyone switch the color temperature from "Expert 1" to "Warm"

A lot of games/media author their content on the warm side of things, but what I've found is that Expert 1 is pretty much a "piss filter" it yellows nice blue skies and turns whites to yellow. Change it to Warm and see if you like it.

I am not suggesting my settings. I am here to learn and improve my configuration...
Should I edit my post and remove my settings from there?

Thanks for the tips

I am not suggesting my settings. I am here to learn and improve my configuration...
Should I edit my post and remove my settings from there?

Thanks for the tips

Oh, well in that case, yes! Just suggest for people to use RTING's setup. They are the go-to guys for this kind of thing as they have all the equipment to do all the testing.

canocha

I used the AVS settings to calibrate my TV.

Played Mario Kart 8 DX, didn't feel any lag and the image was good (Im not alergic to jaggies).

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
I just purchased this yesterday to replace my Samsung ku6300 - I can't wait to get it setup.

Haven't had an issue with controller input lag yet, been playing a lot of BF1. Where did you hear this?
In the Rting best tvs for gaming thread I saw posts here and there. One guy saying the input lag was bad for precision gaming, and another was saying that there were some audio issues when they were watching Sky or something.

If it's not an issue and more the invididuals then all the better then as I'm really considering this TV or a similar one when I get my first 4k TV.

Syrus

Banned
It'll be cool to see if this 2017 tv becomes the KS8000 of last year.

I fuxkin love my KS8000.

Definently wont replace it til 2.1 and hopefully OLED below 2500 for 65.

Doubt my wife will let me replace it for at least 5 years haha.

OLED is nice as hell but the ks8000 is damn good

ngower

I will say it can be frustrating not having nameable picture setting presets but I believe it saves what you keep for "Picture - Custom" or "Game - Custom" etc, so swapping between movies and games on PS4 isn't that inconvenient.

This TV is great and I'm not an esports guy so I really could give half a shit about input lag, but in my experience I've never noticed anything that stands out lag-wise.

TheBoss1

OP your quote about the TV being the winner for best gaming TV according to RTINGS is a bit misleading. You conveniently left out the header, mid-range, to make it look better. This set is still amazing so I won't kill you any longer lol.

Pastry

Banned
In the Rting best tvs for gaming thread I saw posts here and there. One guy saying the input lag was bad for precision gaming, and another was saying that there were some audio issues when they were watching Sky or something.

If it's not an issue and more the invididuals then all the better then as I'm really considering this TV or a similar one when I get my first 4k TV.

I use a sound bar so I honestly have no idea about the audio issue with the tv speakers. For input lag though I haven't noticed anything. I think I'm pretty good at BF1, consistently at the top of the boards, and I have not noticed anything that I felt was affecting me. The tv is a marvel though, I got it after having a budget 1080p tv for 5 years.

If you buy the tv at Best Buy you get 15 days to return it so maybe get the tv and test it out?

DieH@rd

Banned
Since the 43XD8005 is no longer avaiable in my region for 4+ months now, most likely I will aim to get this 49XE9005. It will be a bit large for use as my primary monitor, but I'll manage. :)

But not yet, I will wait for it to come closer 1000€... and when that happens there will be announcements of future models with HDMI 2.1 and Dolby Vision... and the waiting game will continue. :D

I would not recommend using the RGB offsets from the bottom of the first post. Greyscale will vary from unit to unit, and unless you have a colorimeter or spectro, you have no way to know if those offsets are bringing you closer to spec or further away.

If you don't have to tools or the desire to properly calibrate, just go with Rtings basic setting suggestions and leave it at that.

TheBoss1

Since the 43XD8005 is no longer avaiable in my region for 4+ months now, most likely I will aim to get this 49XE9005. It will be a bit large for use as my primary monitor, but I'll manage. :)

But not yet, I will wait for it to come closer 1000€... and when that happens there will be announcements of future models with HDMI 2.1 and Dolby Vision... and the waiting game will continue. :D

Yup lol

This is my biggest fear. I need it to drop below $1,000 before (good) HDMI 2.1 news come out. I also want an OLED but I refuse to pay a premium price knowing HDMI 2.1 is right around the corner. The waiting game sucks!

I use a sound bar so I honestly have no idea about the audio issue with the tv speakers. For input lag though I haven't noticed anything. I think I'm pretty good at BF1, consistently at the top of the boards, and I have not noticed anything that I felt was affecting me. The tv is a marvel though, I got it after having a budget 1080p tv for 5 years.

If you buy the tv at Best Buy you get 15 days to return it so maybe get the tv and test it out?
Im likely going to get it via Amazon solely because I have a lot of Points with my Amazon card to pay off a couple hundred. But no rush. Maybe by the time I feel a 4k tv might be worth it it'd be the newest iteration of this TV. Maybe my current budget lg 1080p tvs issues with weird problems of flat colors bothers me too much and I take the plunge.

I'm at the very least moving to a new town next year and having to get a new bed, maybe I'll get a new TV as well.

hitlerat

OP your quote about the TV being the winner for best gaming TV according to RTINGS is a bit misleading. You conveniently left out the header, mid-range, to make it look better. This set is still amazing so I won't kill you any longer lol.

Fixed, thanks

Robot Pants

I disagree. Adv Contrast makes a world of difference

LegendX48

Good call on color temp, Warm definitely looks more accurate than Expert 1. Expert 1 made whites look yellowish

dEvAnGeL

I set the advance contrast option to low, havig it on high makes the screen brightness change all the time and it was driving me crazy, not a huge change but can notice these small things easily, at first i was thinking maybe it was the local dimming but after looking at everything it was the advance contrast option, just a heads up in case anyone is wondering why is this happening.

RedAssedApe

Banned
has anyone played the last of us on this set? i have the tcl 55p and i'm coming from a plasma. something feels off when playing the game. i'm not sure if its the TV or lcds in general. i think the game just might be doing heavy motion blur which lcds in general might not be able to handle as well as plasmas?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
has anyone played the last of us on this set? i have the tcl 55p and i'm coming from a plasma. something feels off when playing the game. i'm not sure if its the TV or lcds in general. i think the game just might be doing heavy motion blur which lcds in general might not be able to handle as well as plasmas?
I owned the 800.
And tlou looked like shit on it .
Esp in hdr

Triz

I have the 65" of this set and have played through Last of Us on it to test out the HDR. I didn't have any graphical problems as far as I remember. Do you have motion Flow turned off?

RedAssedApe

Banned
I have the 65" of this set and have played through Last of Us on it to test out the HDR. I didn't have any graphical problems as far as I remember. Do you have motion Flow turned off?

I actually don't have this TV. But I was interested in it. I'm currently playing it on a TCL 55P605 which is a 60hz TV and doesn't have any motion flow/interpolation options.

dEvAnGeL

Can anyone adjust the picture size when a ps4 is conected? It seems it defaults to the wide option, and all the other options are not selectable.

I cant play Crash Bandicoot and Hitman on this TV , input lag are insane in these games + 34 ms from the tv... :(

No problem with other games...

Necrovex

This will probably be the television I upgrade to once I complete my move. I'd imagine this will be a nice upgrade from a '07 32" Vizio 1080i television set.

Cmerrill

I cant play Crash Bandicoot and Hitman on this TV , input lag are insane in these games + 34 ms from the tv... :(

I fail to see how 34ms makes these games unplayable?

If you were that sensitive to input lag, why aren't you gaming on a gaming monitor?

I play MLB: The Show on this TV without issue. Hitting in that game is heavily based on timing.

You forgot to link to include a link to Quantum Apotheosis in the OP
;)

What's up with this QA person. I saw a few of their videos and they seem a bit unhinged.

I got this tv as well last week. There isn't much to configure for gaming as it plays great out of the box. The only thing is to configure the HDMI settings to high efficiency to use the full bandwidth needed for 4kHDR

The smart TV function ain't the greatest though (chug when I tried to play some high-end 4k sample videos) but I have a Nvidia shield TV for that specific function.

Cmerrill

I ordered the 65inch version on Sunday from Best Buy, and was expecting it Friday afternoon(at the start of my little vacation).

Then I get an email from Best Buy saying that there's been a warehouse issue and it will be shipping later than expected and they will let me know my new date in the next 3-5 business days....

Last fucking time I ever buy from Best Buy.

TheBoss1

I ordered the 65inch version on Sunday from Best Buy, and was expecting it Friday afternoon(at the start of my little vacation).

Then I get an email from Best Buy saying that there's been a warehouse issue and it will be shipping later than expected and they will let me know my new date in the next 3-5 business days....

Last fucking time I ever buy from Best Buy.

I hate when shit like that happens, but that's just life lol

Klotera

Here are my settings. This is for a room that gets a decent amount of sunlight during the day. If you wanted to try these and have a darker room, you could drop the brightness on the SDR modes.

TV/Movies (SDR)
--------------------
Picture mode: Custom
Brightness: 13
Contrast: 90
Gamma: -2
Black level: 50
Black adjust: off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off
Auto Local Dimming: Medium
Extended Dynamic Range: Low
Color: 50