• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Calvin and Hobbes: Share Your Favorite Strips!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nert

Edit: The source that I linked has had the strips removed, causing a lot of missing image thumbnails to pop up. Sorry about that!

To get people started, I believe you can find all of them here: http://marcel-oehler.marcellosendos.ch/comics/ch/

Here are some of my favorites:

19951130.gif

The above strip contains the most hilarious expression that I've ever seen.

19911112.gif

Nothing is cooler than Hobbes in a sombrero.

19900531.gif

This seems particularly relevant for a gaming website.

19951231.gif

Beautiful.

Forkball

Calvin and Hobbes is probably the most overrated comic ever. There are some good ones, but honestly I don't get the appeal.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Forkball said:
Calvin and Hobbes is probably the most overrated comic ever. There are some good ones, but honestly I don't get the appeal.
How old are you? I think that plays a large part of it.

Oh and if you have a heart or not.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
FlightOfHeaven said:
I own the complete collection, and several of the other collections, including the 10th anniversary.

I never saw it in a news paper.
You poor man. You missed the joy of reading the greats, C&H and The Far Side, with your daily breakfast. Oh man the memories.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Forkball said:

Hey, you snot brain, I'm gunna cream you upside the head with a slush ball next time I see you and if you ever say anything like that again I'm going to let my man eating tiger chase you around and then maul you into ground meat chunks.

Cyan

Banned
Forkball said:
numble said:
http://i.imgur.com/ick.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
BATS AREN'T BUGS!

Anyway, some of my favorites:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/77eW3.png

Because Calvin poking at language is always awesome. To this day, I still think of this strip when I verb a word.

KXSVK.png

Because I love the way Calvin is obviously resisting the lesson, as Watterson points out.

And these, because they really encapsulate childhood:

5sL31.gif

08xaT.jpg

Pure brilliance:

19950919.gif

wenis said:
Hey, you snot brain, I'm gunna cream you upside the head with a slush ball next time I see you and if you ever say anything like that again I'm going to let my man eating tiger chase you around and then maul you into ground meat chunks.

19950924.gif

Cyan said:
http://i.imgur.com/77eW3.png

I think I still use this quote.

deadbeef

Is Calvin and Hobbes in the public domain now? Is it okay to link to a site where you can download all of the strips? Kind of sucks for Bill Watterson.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
deadbeef said:
Is Calvin and Hobbes in the public domain now? Is it okay to link to a site where you can download all of the strips? Kind of sucks for Bill Watterson.

I hear he's doing pretty well for himself on just book sales alone (and syndication).

deadbeef said:

No, they aren't, but they are available in loads of collections (or the super expensive COMPLETE) so purchase them.

The man resisted MILLIONS of dollars and perpetual financial security in the name of artistic integrity. Give the man a dime.

GhaleonEB

I won't link to them, but two long sequences:

Going to the wedding when the house is robbed, and Calvin's dad's thoughts as he's up at night.

The raccoon.

Both were emotional highlights that choke me up even thinking about them.

Calvin and Hobbes is still the best comic strip I've ever seen. And Bill Watterson's integrity in protecting it is still without parallel that I know of in the industry.

Nert

FlightOfHeaven said:
No, they aren't, but they are available in loads of collections (or the super expensive COMPLETE) so purchase them.

The man resisted MILLIONS of dollars and perpetual financial security in the name of artistic integrity. Give the man a dime.

Agreed. I've purchased all of the strips in separate compilations, and I'm thinking about picking up the complete collection as well.

deadbeef

FlightOfHeaven said:

I was being facetious. I bought his books back starting in the late 1980s whenever I got some money.

I don't know when it was was printed so it's pretty hard to search for, bit I love the series where Calvin is building the model and everything keeps going wrong. You can feel the rage building inside him.

G6Pf6.png

Someone needs to find the rest.

DJ_Lae

19920216.gif

The itching one also comes to mind, but I can't find it in there (the dates don't seem to be right).

Enron

Banned
Loxley said:
Pretty much anytime Calvin built snowmen.

Oh god, yes. These are definitely on top of my list of favorites. I am just too lazy to look for them. My favorite one was the one with the snowman car accident scene, and the one where he builds the dozens of snowmen and put up a "snowman Xing" sign across the driveway in front of his dads car.

Damn, it's nearly impossible to pick a favorite, but I'd say the period between about 1989 to 1993 was my favorite in terms of art and storylines.

One of my favorite arcs was the insect collection, in no small part due to the memories it brought back of my (more often than not) half-assed grade school work.

erdDU.jpg

ThO6y.jpg

ioRIH.jpg

sVDlj.jpg

deadbeef

My favorite series of strips were the ones where he used the Transmogrifier to create an alternate Calvin to do his chores.

Also, the strips where he's playing with toys and devises horrible deaths for the make-believe people.

jambo said:
Pretty much the best panel of anything ever

B]

Indeed. There is no room for debate on this matter.

Also, I enjoyed the stories Watterson told without text, particularly in the Sunday strips. This one in particular has always gotten to me:

kXQhL.gif

Forkball said:
BAN

By far best comic strip ever made. Garfield and the Far Side are runners up. Nothing beats following a boy and his fake stuffed tiger come to life.

I own all of them, too. Looking back on them, I sometimes wonder how I got any of them as a kid... I suppose I'm just appreciating them on a different level now...

GDGF

Soothsayer
GREAT idea for a thread. All my favorites have been posted though so I'll just sit back and enjoy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom