• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Just a new preview? I thought there was a fourth trailer coming. :(

Honestly, if the multiplayer expands just slightly on the PSP GTA's, I'd be very pleased.

Mindlog

I bet you $50 Mindlog buys this game. That asshole keeps going on and on about how much he wants this game. I just want it to come out so he'll shut the fuck up.

Maggot9

Banned
bishoptl said:
Just a new preview? I thought there was a fourth trailer coming. :(

Honestly, if the multiplayer expands just slightly on the PSP GTA's, I'd be very pleased.
Local or online?

Himuro said:
No, it's the next wave of previews. Embargo goes up on the 23rd.

I guess that'll be a good indication of whether or not it really is getting close to release. I remember the last set of previews all brought up how it featured horrible popup and slowdown. But that was months ago so hopefully it's been cleaned up by now.

- Missions are far more dynamic now and have a different structure. Many missions start at specific times now, similarly to Shenmue. If a train leaves at 10:00 am and you arrive at 10:01 am, you fail the mission. Missions also happen on specific days. If it's Monday, sometimes you will have a mission that starts on Wednesday. You can obviously do other missions in between or come up with a plan. Rockstar wants to blur the difference between story missions and non story based missions. I do not know what this means.
I don't like this, waiting isn't fun. The only way it'd turn out right is if say, you arrive on the place for the mission on Sunday and it skips to the correct day, but I imagine that won't happen since it'd be no different from the current system, unless there are differences of open stores/cars/whatever on the city during week days.

- Missions have been completely retooled. Now, you do not have a giant arrow over someone's head if they are your target. Let's say you have to kill a target, but he's surrounded by a group of people. You do not know who is who. You can handle this in multiple ways. You can find out his phone number, call him up, see if he responds, and kill him; or you can simply go up to the entire group and kill all of them. The choice is up to you. Of course, if you do the latter choice, your boss may be pissed off...

- Depending on how well and what you do during missions, you can form relationships with your bosses and clients. If you do good, kill your targets discreetly, you will have a good relationship. If you do things in plain sight, without using your brains, your boss will most likely hate you and break all contact. It sounds like a great evolution on GTA2's fun, but not exactly deep, respect system.
These sound pretty awesome, reminds me of the Hitman games.

- The police system has been entirely retooled. You will not instantly become wanted whenever you commit a crime now, even in public. If there are no cops around, and someone sees you, they will have to notify the police. It sounds extremely similar to The Warriors, it sounds like. When and if you commit a crime in public and the police are notified, a circular search area will appear on your radar. The fuzz will go on high alert. If you are outside of this area the cops will not be able to find you unless you commit another crime. If you are spotted in the circular area, the police will follow you to that location. Thus, if you are sneaky, they will not know where you are.

- You can trick police to get rid of wanted level. Since there's no Pay and Spray you must use other ways to get rid of wanted level: changing your clothes (especially if they are bloody); switching cars to confuse the police; running into someone's house, out the back, and on to their fire escape, among other things.

oh my god I came. Multiple times. I didn't know this before. Fuck I just came again.

I am not a GTA fan, but I must acknowledge that a lot of work/effort was put into the original post. Nice work, Himuro!

I hope Sp0rsk doesn't get an ulcer over this thread reopening. It's the second time that he had this happen to him.

Green Biker Dude said:
I don't like this, waiting isn't fun. The only way it'd turn out right is if say, you arrive on the place for the mission on Sunday and it skips to the correct day, but I imagine that won't happen since it'd be no different from the current system, unless there are differences of open stores/cars/whatever on the city during week days.

Hmmm. Hopefully there are just good alternative options and fun enough content to fill us in between the waits. It kind of reminds me of the worst part of Saints Row for me though, which was doing a bunch of pointless shit just to gain access to a new story missions. We'll see how it ends up.

Re-posted because I think it's worth it.

In the end isn't it all up to the user how they define what they like and want out of these sandbox games as to whether or not they like it? Saying one thing or another makes it a "true" GTA game is a little bit difficult if you aren't the developers. Keep in mind that this series has already changed fairly radically once in its lifetime - very few games go from what Grand Theft Auto II was to the jump it made into III. However, thanks to the massive success that GTA III brought with it, I doubt Rockstar will be doing very much to change the formula all over again or provide players with a radically different experience than what we are accustomed to in the GTA world as we know it.

Honestly pretty much everything I've heard about this game is almost pure speculation. People are just guessing and trying to draw conclusions from the smallest facts that Rockstar has put out. We have no idea what kind of multiplayer there is - specific multiplayer only missions? Is it online or just local? We don't know any of this. The majority of Himuro's linked thread is taking something Rockstar has stated or shown to people, such as breaking windows and opening trunks, and hypothesizing on what that could mean. Which is OK except when you try to state those things as facts. We don't know how deep relationships will be, we don't know exactly what the missions will be like either.

What I'm expecting isn't some "true" sandbox. For instance in 1UP's preview, they have a mission where you have to kill a lawyer working in a firm. The two given "options" they have is for you to go in guns blazing or submit a resume, get hired, pull off the job from the inside. If that's it, which I expect it is, then it's just more of the same. However if Rockstar pushed it to the point of, say being able to enter a building across from it and snipe him through his office window, or plant explosives on his car so it blows up when he leaves, or send him some poisoned flowers, or get a job as a deliveryman at a restaurant he likes and give him the "Special Slovaki Sandwich". This would be a "true" sandbox as opposed to offering you the option to take the floor or the stairs to get up to his office - nothing really different.

When it comes right down to it I'm not expecting anything radically different. There may be a few new "more realistic" features put in that take away from the arcade feel that GTA III has and bring it home with a bit more grit and grime. That's fine if the vast majority of the GTA audience wants that and what they have clamored for. I'm expecting a lot of these features to be met with the same kind of resistance that eating/working out/girlfriends were in GTA III: San Andreas.

You know what would cook my eggs? If Grand Theft Auto became more about the Auto and less about trying to be "Ethnic Mob Culture Killing Mission Game." Yes, there are cars and you drive them. However now we get to take taxis all around the city to the locations? Obviously since it's got Grand Theft in the title there will be a heavy influence from crime culture, which includes the mafia and all of that is fine. Where I start wondering where things changed from the first two GTAs is when it became much less centred on the cars and started pushing missions as shooting and guns and killing targets rather than stealing cars.

Basically, give me more Gone in 60 Seconds and less Scarface if you are going to call it Grand Theft Auto. Give me NHL 08's detailed create a player feature to make the protagonist however I want him. Give me a, young, down-on-his-luck but skilled thief who gets busted for boosting cars, but his crooked cop friend gets him off as long as he starts to work for his boss. From there you go around town jacking cars to build up your reputation - the nicer the car, the more money. Of course you can always do other jobs for the boss if you want to, the majority of them being stealing this car or that boat, maybe running errands where you have to make it to a certain point in a certain period of time. Give me a conflict of interest where you start to wonder about your boss's ethics when he kills an innocent girl in front of you; give me a rival boss who you run into on a job but spares you life in return for a favour. I'd like the choice to join this new, seemingly benevolent boss or to stick with what got me to the game. Perhaps in the end we get a nice, clean ending where our protagonist breaks off our of the city with the money, double crossing both bosses, or where he sticks in the game and eventually loses his life.

That's what I think Grand Theft Auto IV should be. Whether that game or something similar to it ever gets made, well that's when Rockstar will get my 60 bucks. As it stands now there is nothing I've seen to make me want to play GTA IV or think it's going to be any more or less entertaining than the previous installments, all of which got more boring and stale with each successive entry.

Himuro said:
Well, it's not like you can only do one mission at once so I'm not worrying about it.
Still, there are times when only one is available or you just don't feel like doing the other(s) for whatever reason. This limits you too much imo. Also, think of it this way: if you miss a mission, you'll have to wait a WHOLE week - ingame, obviously - or reload the data. For people who didn't save after every mission, it can be very frustrating.

This is the kind of bad idea akin to "hey, let's have the main character die with one shot because it's realistic".

Also, with the respect thing is back, I think you'll be more limited to pick your story missions, since you need some respect to do them and that means having less respect from the opposing gang(s) ala GTA2.

Hootie

Great thread...I cannot wait for this game to come out, though I am slightly nervous as to whether or not it will be superior to Saint's Row in the places I want it to be.

Cardon

Don't know if anyone else knows this but Will Wheaton is reprising his role as a radio newscaster once again and several Saturday Night Live actors are doing some voice work for the game.

ashiato

Himuro said:
Rockstar wants to blur the difference between story missions and non story based missions. I do not know what this means.

It refers to the burglary mission in San Andreas for example - you couldn't start the mission until after sundown.

I'd like to see much more freedom in how you go about completing missions. In San Andreas there was the National Guard depot robbery where you had to take a specific truck, drive it to a specific point, then you were told to go shoot the buttons to open the gate, then drive the truck to another specific point to trigger the next cutscene, etc. Why not just say "rob the National Guard depot" and have it highlighted on the map, then let the player use whatever method they want to rob it?

To be completely honest though, basically the gameplay in the GTA series has not changed since the first 2d version - making it 3D and adding new vehicles hasn't changed the gameplay. And key to GTA gameplay is two things - jacking any vehicle you want and the fact that just driving wildly is so damn fun. That's why I'm concerned about how it won't be easy to jack vehicles any more.

MercuryLS

Banned
2742110qo9.jpg

HOT.

Does anyone know of a real-world equivalent? :lol

puebla

Himuro said:
- There will be four buroughs: Dukes (Queens), Bohan (the Bronx), Algonquin (Manhattan), Broker (Brooklyn), and Alderney (New Jersey). It has been confirmed you start the game out in Broker. No, Staten Island will not be present because R* feels the area is boring.
lol at SI:lol . good decision by Rockstar.

Himuro said:
- Targeting system has been retooled. It has a Resident Evil 4 and Gears of War like targeting system, which is perfect for GTA, to be honest.
i'm a little worried about this. i like being able to shoot on the run, i hope they make this work.

painey

i want this so bad .. so very bad. I could give two shits about multiplayer, games like this are made for single player.

Hootie

painey said:
i want this so bad .. so very bad. I could give two shits about multiplayer, games like this are made for single player.

Co-op ala Crackdown would be an awesome addition, though.

Teknoman

Himuro said:
Radio

The radio has been a big thing in the GTA games as far as GTA1. This is the first modern day GTA since GTAIII, however, and as we all know, modern mainstream music sucks balls. Thankfully, R* has taste and this is what we know so far.

- The music will be wide ranged in terms of genre. It will have international radio stations, even 1960's and 70's music.
- It seems that the music will be just as underground as GTAIII. Awesome stuff.
- GTA trailers have always had songs that are featured in the games. That confirms three songs already.

So far the songs we know, whether placeholders or official are:

1. Fela Kuti - Sorrow Tears and Blood
Genre: Afrobeat
Comments: Excellent choice for GTA. I grew up on this song, so I was shocked it was even in GTA.

2. Philip Glass - Pruitt-Igoe theme from "Koyaanisqatsi"
Genre: ?
Comments: It's a good song for a trailer, but I'm not sure if it's a good GTA song. We'll have to see. After all, GTAIII's classical station worked great.

3. The Boggs - Arm In Arm (Shy Child Mix)
Genre: Alternative rock
Comments: This group is from New York and it definitely has a NYC-ish sound and vibe. Perfect for GTAIV.

4. Serega - King Ring
Genre: Hip Hop
Comments: Underground hip hop ftw. This song is from a Russian based rapper and will most likely featured on the International radio station.

5. Run D.M.C. - Sucker MC's
Genre: Hip Hop
Comments: Oldschool hip hop ftw! Mainstream sucks. Get that shit out of my GTA.

We have a radio station confirmed as well: WKTT - A talk radio station, which is call in. Sounds similar to Chatterbox. The website is here. You can actually call in, and say your piece. The best callers will be featured in GTAIV. WE KNOW THE TRUTH.

This makes me really happy. Especially with the true hip-hop stuff. Also im hoping for a really nice online mode if they can pull it off.

Green Biker Dude said:
Still, there are times when only one is available or you just don't feel like doing the other(s) for whatever reason. This limits you too much imo. Also, think of it this way: if you miss a mission, you'll have to wait a WHOLE week - ingame, obviously - or reload the data. For people who didn't save after every mission, it can be very frustrating.

Or you could just go to your hideout and sleep 7 times.:D
Or you can do other missions/challenges to pass the time.

I wouldn't worry, I'm sure they've been thinking about this kind of stuff for a while.

Teknoman

Himuro said:
We have a radio station confirmed as well: WKTT - A talk radio station, which is call in. Sounds similar to Chatterbox. The website is here. You can actually call in, and say your piece. The best callers will be featured in GTAIV. WE KNOW THE TRUTH.

Cant believe I just skimmed over this part. lol i'm definatly going to give this a shot. Now I just have to figure out something to complain about thats sooo outlandish, there's no way it could be "ruining our country". :D
Vegans or Vegetarians...hmmm...

Sandman42

I was REALLY into the San Andreas hype train a couple years ago, so I know what to expect from pre-release hype. Most of these features that sound cool in a bullet point format probably won't be fleshed out enough in the actual game to make you care.

There were a ton of features announced for GTA:SA that sounded awesome (such as home invasion) but totally disapointed when you actually got into the game and tried it.

Take all you hear with a grain of salt when it comes to GTA.

I'm still very excited about this game though. I just hope that they can deliver.

Damn. I hope this game coincides with a price drop on a next gen console because if the PS3 goes $299, I'll buy it. If a 360 with hard-drive goes to $249, I'll buy it.

ugh, these fucking megathreads are ruining shit... there really should only be exceptions in rare cases like smash where new info is released on a tight schedule...

why not wait 'till the new info is actually out??

gray_fox224

The Faceless Master said:
ugh, these fucking megathreads are ruining shit... there really should only be exceptions in rare cases like smash where new info is released on a tight schedule...

why not wait 'till the new info is actually out??

Darkman M

Himuro said:
What's the real life equivalent of this shot? What is that place in the background? Isn't that in New Jersey? Something Ship Yard? I saw a comparison shot in the past.

69967865.jpg

Im digging the atmosphere on this pic, looks like the Ps3 & Xbox360 have the horsepower for some nice weather effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom