• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulLFC

L9jAI.png

Welcome to OT12, probably the last OT of the 2011/12 season.

For all your Soccer related talk, there is a separate thread for the MLS here.

i58kbwnqK7CN4.gif

Thanks to CaramaC for the awesome banner, SunhiLegend for GIFS and to elseanio and Fady for the previous threads :)

idH9vE6Wycd8m.png
Follow FootyGAF - Twitter list (thanks to Awesome Animals) #FreeJeff

GAF Football News Centre (These images will update with the latest news from Twitter each time you visit this post or refresh the page)

bbcfootball1-fs.png
skysports-fs.png
guardian_sport-fs.png

guillembalague-fs.png
tonybarrettimes-fs.png
philmcnulty-fs.png

The Leagues (click a team to visit their website)

UdCoe.jpg

b3c9Q.jpg

WntAL.jpg

ZgtUO.jpg

ywjDv.jpg

CFT4I.jpg

MiCTU.jpg

pfu9D.jpg

sWQdB.jpg

wgtEA.jpg

aY2vb.png

4w9QK.jpg

PIbvg.png
Eredivisie - Table | Last season's top 4: Ajax, Feyenoord, PSV Eindhoven, AZ Alkmaar
U5fx3.png
Ligue 1 - Table | Last season's top 4: Montpellier, PSG, Lille, Lyon
u5HA1.png
Liga ZON Sagres - Table | Last season's top 4: FC Porto, Benfica, Sporting Braga, Sporting Lisbon
fXmQ4.png
MLS - Table | Last season's top 4: LA Galaxy, Seattle Sounders, Real Salt Lake, Sporting Kansas City
03cby.png
Clydesdale Bank Premier League - Table | Last season's top 4: Celtic, Rangers, Motherwell, Dundee United

GAFfers' Clubs - which team is the best supported on GAF? Link to a single post that I can hopefully update as well
AC Milan - dschalter, TheLucifer, Fady K
Ajax - Arjen, FeD.nL, Wessiej, Fady K
Arsenal - Anderson, Baconsaurus, Boozeroony, colonisation, DangerousMali, DOBERMAN INC, Dibbz, Freewheelin', Ghouse, Ingeniero, Jason Raize '75 - '04, Judderman, Kweh, Lightning, omgkitty, pix, Plasma, Salvadora, Fady K
Aston Villa - Awesome Animals, rodvik, Wes, Fady K
Athletic Bilbao - sneaky77, Fady K
Barcelona - FootballFan, Messi, OriginalThinking, Verano, Fady K
Bayern Munich- Antioch, Blablurn, elsk, Fry8, Hasphat'sAnts, Hieberrr, Nemic77, spidye, Fady K
Benfica - Andrefpvs, DyonPT, rvy, ThaneKrios, Fady K
Besiktas - besiktas1, Silphatos, Fady K
Blackburn - Jeff Albertson, Fady K
Borussia Dortmund - Phantast2k, Fady K
Celtic - Sage00, Fady K
Chelsea - Fintan, flintstryker, Gaaraz, GQman2121, Help Me!, JWong, Kylehimself, PrematureQuiche, SenorDingDong, steverulez, xintin, Outsanity, TrueBlue, Fady K
Club Deportivo Guadalajara - Regulus Tera, Fady K
Copenhagen - Woodenlung, Fady K
Corinthians - seabee, Fady K
Eintracht Frankfurt - thy_, Fady K
Everton - faridmon, sazabirules, Temrer, Fady K
Fenerbahce - UV-6, Fady K
Fulham - xbhaskarx, Fady K
Hamburger SV - The_Joker, Fady K
Huddersfield Town - Cindres, Fady K
Juventus - .Shodan, Charles, fadetoblack, Rikkun, Shake Appeal, Smeghead, Yurt, Zabojnik, Fady K
Leeds United - amitaiwinehouse, Fady K
Liverpool - Arnie, ATF487, bjaelke, bonesmccoy, CaramaC, Cerebral Assassin, danwarb, Dark Machine, Darth Sonik, DJmizuhara, elseanio, Feorax, Fry8, FuturusX, jamieson87, K444WSR, labadal, Mastadon, MarshMellow96, odd_morsel, operon, PaulLFC, PJX, Seep, severin, Shogun PaiN, Skoptsie, sohois, Vard, Yenrot, Fady K
Malaga - tolkir, Fady K
Man City - BattleMedic, confuziz, dc89, Manager, Meier, Fady K
Man Utd - Ashes1396, BLSwagger10, blurrygil, Brinbe, Cyport, Desmond, doicare, DominoKid, Dynoro, elfinke, Fëanor, Grover Cleveland, Jburton, K1LLER7, kharma45, KidA Seven, LabouredSubterfuge, magnificent83, pappe, pslayer666, Requiem, Salazar, Slizz, Snaku, Stubo, The Friendly Monster, Tim the Wiz, Tunic, Vivalaraza, Wilbury, WJD, yella, Fady K (Fady can't hate)
Newcastle - Carbonox_Ratchet, choodi, Chriswok, JesusTom, Keio, Kyoufu, offshore, Willkiller, Fady K
New York Red Bulls - Judderman, Fady K
Olympiakos - gate777, Fady K
Palermo - Joe, Fady K
Porto - El Tigre, Letters, RaGe_pt, tonitoni, Fady K
QPR - Polari, Fady K
Reading - immy, Fady K
Real Madrid - Anastacio, Madridy, MPW, Noirulus, PantyPhantom, Spanish Wrath, Fady K
Schalke 04 - Sveitadurgur, Fady K
Sheffield Wednesday - Mat C, Fady K
Southampton - IamMikeside, Fady K
Sporting CP - BLSwagger10, LFMartins86, Fady K
Sunderland - HixxSAFC, madmackem, The Super Bob, Fady K
Tottenham - Bungieware, Clydefrog, near, NeoTB1, Scum, Ushojax, zomgbbqftw, Fady K

Let me know your team and I'll add you to the list (PM works better than posting in the thread).

Videos
This Is Football
Goals of 2010/2011
A Life for a Goal - The Ultimate Ronaldo movie - Fantastic 41-part, 6 hour film about Il Fenomeno

General Information / FAQs
Football - Wikipedia
Statto - League tables as they were at a chosen time of the season, plus form tables, goals etc
Who Scored? - Live match statistics plus stats archive
101 Great Goals - Quick video updates for goals scored across the world.

Q. I'm looking to get more into watching football. Which team should I support?
A. The simple answer is, support whoever you want. But crucially, pick a team and stick with them, through the good times and the bad. If you change allegiances as soon as your chosen team has a bit of a hard time, you won't experience what it's truly like to be a fan. Besides, it just makes the good times all the better.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Player Emoticons
Designed by members of FootballGAF - let me know if you made one (or more than one!) and I'll list the creators here.

iZ9bFnQVgjKH3.png
qXKPW.png
iVz62YxBWZBK6.png
27q62.png
iMJuDKEpQPXAP.png
rodgers2nkygb.png
iehVYR20WgRir.png
PrSSH.gif
humm4fyce1.png
Posted%20Image.png
ib0r83R812t83I.png
ifl6MBl4ee9Tv.png
sandromujns.png
keandvms4.png
iUq17QFFBlVDs.png
iL5x4nyvBiKhU.png
ibhuxieEhI0aHN.png
QOgni.png
0ems4.png
BZSV9.png
SQaI5.png

jkxq4tx72EvEz.png
jKVZXthd34FrM.png
iB0Me8LhJozRL.png
jwZQVAc1YgxwM.png
iby0Wkt28k473t.gif
iTrhVxWy4UBlA.png
icn_balotellivqmmy.gif
icn_delpsdqjy0.gif
icn_ronaldou3m7h.gif
icn_suarezmhk03.gif
ibJgcOxjV02M1.png

ibvwbY12J7nldL.png
balelaugh2rmxkk.gif
avbpiya7.png
schweine7s2o4.png
iTgJCLz80alPr.png

Scum

Yay! A new one! Time to celebrate...

0039_z9sw.gif

Awww yeah!
I STILL have no idea who she is! :-(

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
CONMEBOL should come up with their own theme for the tournamen instead of using ode to joy.

Dammit! I almost got my title!!!!

Lol I like the addition of the football Wikipedia site. :p

Also, footyGAF twitter still isn't on there!!

#DamnFreeJeff

My roommate and I can't stop laughing at those player emotes.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
CONMEBOL should come up with their own theme for the tournamen instead of using ode to joy.
Have you checked their website? Laziness is the first thing I think of when I hear the word CONMEBOL.

EDIT: Neymar's run to goal was 45.9 metres. Things like this is why I love Fox Sports broadcasts.

elsk

Banned
Corinthians is a much more solid team, Santos only relies on Neymar and Ganso having a good day.

Kind of like Bayern with Ribéry and Robben :(

Kyoufu

Apparently Arsenal want Hatem Ben Arfa, but Ashley wants 20 million for him. He'll go if Arsenal pay up.

Who would we replace HBA with? :/

Arnie

The quality of football in this game is pretty dire. So many hoofballs and sloppy passes.

And someone needs to tell the Corinthians striker that running around on your own trying to press every fucking defender individually is pointless. He's literally just burning energy chasing after a lost cause. Either get your teammates to press with you, as a unit, or chill the fuck out.

elsk

Banned
The quality of football in this game is pretty dire. So many hoofballs and sloppy passes.

That's mainly Santos fault. Corinthians looks very solid and doing some nice passing. I expect U de Chile vs. Boca to be at least 10x better, tho.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Also MexicoGAF, official Olympic Roster:

1. José de Jesús Corona Rodríguez - Cruz Azul
  2. Israel Sabdi Jiménez Náñez - Tigres UANL
  3. Carlos Arnoldo Salcido Flores - Tigres UANL
  4. Hiram Ricardo Mier Alanís - Monterrey
  5. Darvin Francisco Chávez Ramírez - Monterrey
  6. Héctor Miguel Herrera López - Pachuca
  7. Javier Cortés Granados - Pumas UNAM
  8. Marco Jhonfai Fabián de la Mora - Guadalajara
  9. Oribe Peralta Morones - Santos
  10. Giovani dos Santos Ramírez - Tottenham Hotspur
  11. Javier Ignacio Aquino Carmona - Cruz Azul
  12. José Antonio Rodríguez Romero - Guadalajara
  13. Diego Antonio Reyes Rosales - Club América
  14. Jorge "Chatón" Enríquez García - Guadalajara
  15. Néstor Vicente Vidrio Serrano - Pachuca
  16. Miguel Ángel Ponce Briseño - Guadalajara
  17. Néstor Alejandro Araujo Razo - Cruz Azul
  18. Raúl Alonso Jiménez Rodríguez - Club América

Jonathan dos Santos asked not to be called since he's finally been integrated into Barcelona's first team. I understand the little guy, but I can't fathom a Chatón/Herrera duo in the defencive midfield; :( Chatón's had an awful year after the World Cup in Colombia. Salcido could replace him, but I think the backline is more in need of him at the moment.

Possible Starting XI?:

---------------- Corona ----------------
Jiménez --- Reyes --- Mier --- Salcido
------- Chatón -------- Herrera -------
Gio ----------- Fabián ---------- Ponce
--------------- Peralta -----------------

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
What happened to Alan Pulido, was he not-called because he's trying to be a starter in his team?
Cándido Ramírez and Raúl Jiménez benched him during the Toulon tournament. Pulido had an awful semester besides the Pre-Olympic tournament, but I wanna chalk that up to the CONCACAF opposition.

The problem with this team was not scoring goals anyway.

edit: holy fuck d'alessandro

elsk

Banned
looooooool all that spray

FUCK YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I GOT MO' MONEY IN THE BANK

Brazil World Cup is gonna be a godsend.

edit: VAMOS U. DE CHILE

I like how the U de Chile plays, I want them to win La Libertadores... but it looks like Boca is going to win :(

jtb

Banned
just continuing the Silva conversation from the previous thread:

I think Sneijder would probably cost more than that and he's a bit older on top of that so we'd end up having to replace him sooner than Silva in the end. On top of that, I don't think he's anywhere near as good as Silva.

It'd be fun in Football Manager kinda way to see what we'd do but that's about it.

Sneijder will go cheap, if only because he can (and should) force a transfer from Inter - no champions league football, a complete downward spiral from the Mourinho era, and his appalling form from most of this season means his price is pretty low for a one-time superstar. His issue is his high wages. Having said that, Sneijder won't/can't play wide (unlike Silva) so it won't be a like for like swap.

Regardless, I think City would accept a 30m + Higuain deal for Silva in a heartbeat, because, frankly, Silva wouldn't get into the Real Madrid starting XI. He's good, but not good enough. I rate Ozil far higher than Silva, forcing Silva out to the wing, basically nullifying his strengths. Real Madrid play quite a quick, direct (not in a negative sense) brand of football under Mou and Silva's clogging of the wings and cutting in would hinder, rather than help, I think. (Unlike more direct "wingers" like Di Maria and Ronaldo)

Modric would be a much better buy, even if just to sit on the bench. As for Sniejder vs. Silva, they are very different players. Sniejder was the perfect counter attacking number 10 under Mou yet has shown to be very poor creatively when in possession (as we've seen in every season since), whereas Silva is excellent at running at defenses, playing intricate short passing, and rarely needs to play solely on the counter.

Fry

Sneijder should definitely leave Inter. I bet it would revamp his career.

---

Some german coolfaces to close the night:

iUq17QFFBlVDs.png
iL5x4nyvBiKhU.png

ibhuxieEhI0aHN.png

Lightning

Banned
Apparently Arsenal want Hatem Ben Arfa, but Ashley wants 20 million for him. He'll go if Arsenal pay up.

Who would we replace HBA with? :/
20mil? LOL Piss off... No way is he worth that and what the heck do we want another winger for? We already have too many optons. Send Walcott to Newcastle and take Arfa in exchange? I would love that lol.

Transfer wont happen, no way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom