• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2017 Week 3 |OT| Confused as a Yankee Learning to Square Dance

ryseing

Our thoughts go out to everyone in Florida suffering from Irma and to everyone still suffering from Harvey. In addition to all of the destruction, Irma has already cancelled two games of the alma mater of one of our favorite CFB Gaffers, so if you pardon my French: fuck hurricanes.

(Thanks to Randolph Freedlander for the original OT suggestion and Buck for the updated one)

83uvBrY.jpg

20170909213834.0.jpg

DJUd98pU8AIgkst.jpg:large

DJdUJ84UMAAdJ0h.jpg

2aabeaaa-cdd5-498d-8285-9eb48dd16e4f

AP Poll said:
1) Alabama (58)
2) Oklahoma (2)
3) Clemson (1)
4) USC
5) {Redacted}
6) Washington
7) Michigan
8) Ohio State
9) Oklahoma State
10) Wisconsin
11) Florida State
12) LSU
13) Georgia
14) Louisville
15) Auburn
16) Virginia Tech
17) Miami
18) Kansas State
19) Stanford
20) TCU
21) Washington State
22) South Florida
23) Champions of Life
24) Florida
25) UCLA

Coaches Poll said:
1) Alabama (58)
2) Clemson (2)
3) Oklahoma
4) USC
5) {Redacted}
6) Washington
7) Michigan
8) Oklahoma State
9) Ohio State
10) Florida State
11) LSU
12) Wisconsin
13) Georgia
14) Louisville
15) Miami
16) Virginia Tech
17) Auburn
18) Kansas State
19) Stanford
20) TCU
21) South Florida
22) Washington State
23) Champions of Life
24) Utah
25) Florida

Week 3 Notable/Interesting Games (All times in EST and all rankings AP)

It's not a great week so I'm inserting a bit more of my personal opinion into the games mentioned in this section.

#25 UCLA @ Memphis, 12:00
Louisiana @ Texas A&M, 12:00- Can Kevin Sumlin trail a far worse team in the 4th quarter again? Yes, probably.
#23 Champions of Life @ #24 Florida, 3:30
#12 LSU @ Missisippi State, 7:00
Kentucky @ South Carolina, 7:30
#3 Clemson @ #14 Louisville, 8:00
Texas @ #4 USC, 8:30

#PAC12AFTERDARK

(Deserves bold and all caps after last week)

Fresno State @ #6 Washington, 9:30
San Jose State @ Utah, 10:00
#19 Stanford @ San Diego State, 10:30
Ole Miss @ Cal (WHY), 10:30

Pick'em Stuff:

Pick 'em stuff here

Last week's results:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vQed38g_ZSlFfrwnbwNVzuuVafZ_D2ioBTraeKN-zyM/edit?usp=sharing

Standings:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14oB6wMtBN3TgAWnUzysoWqpmSlLGVY5XhU5MAluLv-U/edit?usp=sharing

Week 3 games:
OKLAST@PITT
UCLA@MEM
WISC@BYU
TENN@FLA
PURDUE@MIZZOU
USM@ULM
KSU@VANDY
CLEM@LVILLE
ASU@TTU(bonus points for total score)
TEXAS@USC
MISS@CAL
BAY@DUKE

Link to form: https://goo.gl/forms/RDfJLMmAeLgLYwqI3

CFB-GAF's very own podcast- The Decided Schematic Advantage

Subscribe here in iTunes or search for The Decided Schematic Advantage in your podcast app of choice. Send questions and comments to podcast@the-cog.com. I'll post details of the new episode later this week.

andycapps

MugiwaraCole from previous thread said:
I was way more into that than I am the prospect of watching UT and UF play this year. Just...ugh. They're such shells of their former selves, it's pathetic at this point.

You call that pathetic, I call it amazing.

UGA invaded South Bend. Damn.

No doubt. More than Nebraska back in the 2000's though no official numbers. Somewhere between 40-60% UGA fans out of 79k I believe.

I turned it to the game and thought it was a Georgia home game for a second, no joke.
I could see that if you just tuned in. Regarding a Georgia home game, Kirby kind of trolled them when he said this.

So we never felt like it was so much of a road game. I mean, there was times our quarterback was able to go for his own cadence, which you don't usually get to do on the road. You don't get to do it on the road in the SEC, the fan base don't let you do that. We were able to go with ours and I thought a lot of it had to do with the red and black.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
UGA Nebraska'd Notre Dame? IT JUST KEEPS HAPPENING

Cg_lMTHXEAAhVD2.jpg

so good

My brother was there for that game, said it was basically like an away Home game. Hilarious. I thought they changed the ticket rules after that game to prevent it from happening again, but it looks like Georgia pulled it off. Lol

FyreWulff

My brother was there for that game, said it was basically like an away Home game. Hilarious. I thought they changed the ticket rules after that game to prevent it from happening again, but it looks like Georgia pulled it off. Lol

https://www.ndinsider.com/football/...cle_ddd408d0-95c8-11e7-8d13-abaa375a184d.html

holy crap, literally 17 years to the day that it happened again. lol. and with the same color!

and yeah, i thought a rule changed happened, but I guess they actually never did, according to this article.

andycapps

Supposedly ND only has 20k season tickets and they allottee 8k towards UGA. But a lot of the remaining single game tickets, and I'm assuming some season tickets, went to UGA fans. Prices were super high which is what kept me away.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
If a Nebraska season ticket holder sells to an opponent they get shit for life. It's okay to bring opponent's fans to a game to sit with you, but to outright sell to an opponent would garner some bad feelings the following week without question.

andycapps

If a Nebraska season ticket holder sells to an opponent they get shit for life. It's okay to bring opponent's fans to a game to sit with you, but to outright sell to an opponent would garner some bad feelings the following week without question.
I think the average sold price was around $1100 per ticket so I'm guessing that some season ticket holders couldn't pass that up. I agree that they should get shit for life, but most people won't turn that kind of money down.

jjasper

I think the average sold price was around $1100 per ticket so I'm guessing that some season ticket holders couldn't pass that up. I agree that they should get shit for life, but most people won't turn that kind of money down.

The last time UT played in South Bend I won tickets through a lottery and then sold them for 900 each to a ND fan. No regrets.

Regarding ND, there was a radio person here in Atlanta that was talking about the scene in South Bend and were saying the students don't give a shit and will sell the tickets cheap as long as you aren't wearing opponent colors.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
lol, I think the photos of the Georgia and Nebraska takeovers look pretty similar about 30-35k.

we did a nice job in Autzen this weekend, I'd say probably 18000 Nebraska fans... maybe a bit more. I was a little disappointed in the ultimate turnout, but the Husker fans were loud and impacted the game in the second half.

The Oregon folks said it was the most opposing fans and loudest opposing fans they had seen, beating recent visits by other B1G teams and Tennessee.

1. Iowa's non-conference in 2015 included Iowa State and Pitt, 2 power 5 programs. Even if they kept Iowa State, you can still have another home/away with another P5 program as long as when Iowa State is away, P5 opponent is home. Then you can have your shitty G5 program(or maybe even schedule another decent team, it's not like it would be the end of the Iowa football program) as a home game. Besides, if Iowa State is mid-G5 tier like you say, there should be no problem scheduling another P5 program every year.
The years we scheduled Pitt recently, we had 4 non-conference games, so we still had our 2 cupcakes, ISU, and had the availability to schedule another challenging game. We could schedule another P5 with only 3 non-conference games - just like you could - but neither of us consistently do. Within that reality, I'd prefer a little variety in our one P5 game.

2. Iowa lost votes partially because the game went to overtime, but also because other high ranked teams lost and coaches thought they were still better than Iowa, which would pull their votes from Iowa. Besides, polls have no meaning until there's enough games to played to get an accurate picture of a team. Giving Baylor a rank of #7 in week 8 because they are 6-0 means a whole lotta nothing when they finish 6-6.
Not sure I follow that logic, we dropped because we shouldn't have won that game, not because OSU lost. Last year after demolishing ISU, Iowa dropped in the SID poll. That's the definition of lose-lose.

3. 2016 was the worst game in the series since Ferentz got there. Even if most years it's competition by attrition, it's better than the blowout games of playing San Jose State or North Texas.
If you're only defining "worst" by margin of victory, perhaps. You may have remember the 9-6 slog in 2012 more fondly, but I recall that as being a dreadful game - and I actually like defensive games. I recall the 17-5 game from 2008 being pretty shitty too, IIRC, we intentionally gave up the safety because a free kick was safer than punting from within our own 5 yard line and it was obvious ISU wasn't going to score any more anyway.

And dropping Iowa/ISU isn't about it being a better game than San Jose State or North Texas, we're both still going to have those cupcakes regardless. It's about replacing the Iowa/ISU game with a better, more even P5 match up for both of us. Yeah, Ferentz is only just now over .500 in the series, but over the last 15 years, he's 10-5. You can go for Vanderbilt or Purdue, we could go for Pitt, Arizona St, Arkansas. The type of games that would expand both schools' reach to help with exposure and recruiting.

4. Is it though? Iowa players ran to trophy like it mattered. If it's so forced, they would have just went back to the locker room. Both coaches after the game talked about how it's important to them and to the players. Campbell has been here 2 years and he even talks about how big it is.
I think the whining about having to play it says it all really. As for the players, they had just won a game they had no right to.

To me it sucks because we live in a world where conference realignment takes away great rivalries like Texas/A&M, OU/Nebraska, Backyard Brawl, and the Border War, while you have a group of fans that willingly want to get rid of another one just so their specific team can be taken more seriously by Colin Cowherd and the ESPN talking heads. Look at how this past week was for the state as a whole. RVTV went around the state and got people going to a bunch of local businesses. Workplaces on Friday took a small break to celebrate the game beforehand. All of those good things and people want to piddle it away so people think Iowa is better than they probably are.
The problem with El Assico isn't that there's no rivalry or that the outcome is a coin flip in the Ferentz era (although becoming less so,) it's that there's no stakes to the game except state bragging rights, but the state we're "bragging" over is Iowa, not Texas, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, California, or Michigan. Do you want to see Iowa fans stop wanting to dump the Iowa/ISU rivalry? Get relevant. You've had 7 winning seasons in the last 30 years. Stop offering more guys than you've had wins in the last 100 years.* Start influencing (not even playing for or winning) the Big XII championship. Make beating you mean something.

Regarding ND, there was a radio person here in Atlanta that was talking about the scene in South Bend and were saying the students don't give a shit and will sell the tickets cheap as long as you aren't wearing opponent colors.

Yeah that radio person is full of shit. The student tickets work completely differently from the general admission tickets and require a student ID to get into the section. You can exchange one or two tickets from your student booklet a year but you have to sell them at face value through the ticket office or something. It's possible to sneak people into the student section who have general admission tickets, though.

It really just came down to season ticket holders and alums selling their tickets to fund the next three season of tickets.

Karl2177

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
So this is how the Vols have lined up on defense the last two games:

DJUBvaHV4AARSFq

When asked about his defensive line lining up a yard+ off the line of scrimmage, the defending champion of life coach replied:

Butch Jones said:
Our DL is always a yard off the line of scrimmage, or almost a yard. People are just looking for that for some reason now.

Tennessee vs. Florida (2016)

DJdquQqW0AAbSIk

Tennessee's 2017 defense has allowed 657 yards rushing in two games (Ga. Tech and Indiana State).

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Pick 'em stuff here

Last week's results:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vQed38g_ZSlFfrwnbwNVzuuVafZ_D2ioBTraeKN-zyM/edit?usp=sharing

Standings:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14oB6wMtBN3TgAWnUzysoWqpmSlLGVY5XhU5MAluLv-U/edit?usp=sharing

Week 3 games:
OKLAST@PITT
UCLA@MEM
WISC@BYU
TENN@FLA
PURDUE@MIZZOU
USM@ULM
KSU@VANDY
CLEM@LVILLE
ASU@TTU(bonus points for total score)
TEXAS@USC
MISS@CAL
BAY@DUKE

Link to form: https://goo.gl/forms/RDfJLMmAeLgLYwqI3
Lol, I would be the only one to pick pitt

andycapps

I heard Clemson is looking ahead to the bye week and is not even practicing this week.

Seems legit.

You know what I heard out of preseason camp? I heard that Ohio State has a new offensive coordinator who did great work at Indiana and who was going to fix everything.

Top Bottom