• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez (XBLA)|OT| If you have no interest in discussing the game, don't enter the thread

Yamibito

xI3pZZ.gif

DEVELOPED by POLYTRON CORPORATION
PUBLISHED by TRAPDOOR INC.

RELEASES on XBOX LIVE ARCADE — APRIL 13ᵀᴴ
PRICED at 800 MOON-BUCKS

POWERED by TRIXEL ENGINE — 720p 60fps — 273.45 MB

ye6FMB.gif

FEZ is outwardly seen as a 2D platformer set in a 3D world, where the perspective can be freely "rotated" in increments of 90-degrees on a horizontal axis.

Designed around this mechanic, the game fits a coined "mystroidvania" hybrid-genre where there is little to no emphasis on combat, as would be found in a metroidvania. Instead, the emphasis lies on an elaborate set-piece of puzzles, which compliments a huge open nonlinear world of over 150 levels.

The of lack of functional enemies bears the intention to create a relaxing and non-threatening environment, set in a world dense with secrets and mysteries. (It even has it's own alphabet and numerical system, and Twin Peaks references). Introducing a higher level of difficulty, there is also a second set of collectables, described as almost unfairly hard to get.

Unfortunately regarded as a poster child for indie game development hell, FEZ has taken the best part of five years to make. Partially covered in the Indie Game: The Movie documentary, Polytron were unfortunate enough to lose their funding twice, before securing a publishing deal with Trapdoor in 2011.

In 2008, a 3-month old prototype of FEZ won the Excellence in Visual Art at the Independent Games Festival. Later in 2011, a more finalised build of FEZ was permitted entry once more and was nominated for Technical Excellence whilst winning the Seumas McNally Grand Prize.​

Fsyvck.gif

IS THERE A DEMO?
Yep. A XBLA trial of just under 10 minutes of gameplay will be available at the same time the full game goes up.

WILL FEZ BE COMING TO OTHER PLATFORMS?
Short answer: nobody knows! FEZ has always been intended for XBLA, with Polytron remaining ambiguous about other platforms. Whilst the game has been seen to be running from Windows binaries at various events, it is currently locked into some form of exclusivity with Microsoft. If it happens, it happens.

WHAT ABOUT A SOUNDTRACK?
Well, nothing's been announced yet. You'll have to pester Phil Fish or Disasterpeace on that one. In the meanwhile, there was a semi-secret EP that was distributed to backers of the Venus Patrol Kickstarter; so, here's for your enjoyment:
The soundtrack will be coming out on April 20ᵀᴴ for $4.99.
1, 2 & 3.

VG5bV5.gif

—​

DESIGN & ART by PHIL FISH
CODE by RENAUD BÉDARD

MUSIC by RICHARD "DISASTERPEACE" VREELAND
SOUND by BRANDON McCARTIN
ANIMATION by PAUL ROBERTSON and ADAM "ADAMATOMIC" SALTSMAN​

—​

— THAT'S ALL FOLKS! —

Y5I5jg.gif

I'll be honest, I still want to play this, regardless of the controversy over... well, you know.

Haven't touched XBLA since Guardian Heroes, IIRC, so this'll be nice.

Clott

All is forgiven if its a good game, who gives a shit about his opinion towards things not related to his own work. Let's see if he has anything to stand on.

Zia

Great OP, you two.

There are two games I've been absolutely obsessed with since they were first announced: Journey and Fez. I am so, so excited for the release, and that's having already played through what I think is the majority of the game.

No idea what I'll have to look forward to after next Friday. Suppose I'll aimlessly wander the forests...

Tiktaalik

I've been waiting for this game for a long time and I'm really excited to finally play it. Will be buying day one.

Some friends and I were discussing the title last night over drinks and some of them were on the fence. One thing we all agreed on was that all the videos we've seen showed a very beautiful, but very slow paced gameplay, and some of my friends were questioning whether the game would really go anywhere beyond that. I'm very curious myself.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Very nicely-made OP - not a fan of the title, but then again, I just like my titles with the name of the game and just |OT|, leaving the game to speak for itself.

Been waiting for ages for this, and I'll be picking it up as soon as it's out.

Top Bottom