• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sneakers |OT| Hypebeasts We Know About Ya

Mr.Fresh

i2myFVPbrDCyY.png

Special thanks to Devolution for the Banner!

WTF is a Sneaker Head?
A sneakerhead is a person who is highly experienced visually even to the point of discernment in distinguishing between real and fake replicas and also owns multiple pairs of sneakers as a form of Hobby, collection, Trade and fashion. It is a hobby often manifested by the use and collection of shoes made for sports, such as basketball and or other sports. The birth of sneakerhead culture in the United States came in the 1980s and can be attributed to two major sources: basketball, specifically the emergence of Michael Jordan and his eponymous Air Jordan line of shoes released in 1985, and the growth of hip hop music. The boom of signature basketball shoes during this era provided the sheer variety necessary for a collecting subculture, while the Hip-Hop movement gave the sneakers their street credibility as status symbols. The sneakerhead culture has emerged in European nations such as the Czech Republic in the last decade.

Where to buy?

FootLocker.com
The basic sneaker store its in (Just about) every mall and has good selection no matter were you go and good price ranges. FootLocker is a great starting point and it has a wide variety.

FlightClubNY.com
FlightClubLA.com
These are where you find the dopest sneakers. The Jordans, The Foamposites, The Air Yeezys, etc. Sometimes they have a good sale or two but sometimes the mark up the prices because the sneakers start to get so hard to find. Still they have great selection for those sneakers that you missed out on.

NikeiD.com
Adidas.com
Reebok.com
Converse.com
These sites are great because you can take some of your favorite sneakers and make it your own. You can customize the color , material and all that good stuff.

Top Sites For Sneaker Heads.
NiceKicks.com
Niketalk.com
Modern-notoriety.com
Kicksonfire.com
SneakerNews.com
twitter.com/Jumpman23
twitter.com/footlocker
twitter.com/finishline
SoleCollector.com
23isback.com

How To Keep Your Kicks Clean
iWTg0cs45Mg8f.png

You can go old school and use a toothbrush and soap and it will get little scuffs out easily.

1. Create a mixture of water and a neutral cleaner. Dishwashing detergent or shampoo works well.
2. Remove the laces.
3. Grab a soft-tipped brush. Dip it into your cleaning mixture and scrub it over all parts of the shoes.
4. Remove any scuff marks with a nylon scrub pad. For alternatives, a toothbrush or sponge works well too.
5. Rinse the shoes inside and out once more. This way, you will be sure if you got all of the dirt and grime off.
6. Stuff the shoes with paper and allow them to dry overnight. This will help them to absorb excess water and keep their normal shape. Do not use newspaper or magazine pictures because the ink will run into the shoes.
7. Wash the laces in a load of laundry.

Suede Shoes

1. Brush out any dirt. Use a suede cleaning brush to gently brush everything off. Make sure to brush in the same direction and do not go back and forth. For stubborn dirt marks that won't go away with a brush, try using a pencil eraser.
2. Remove scuff marks. The suede brush can now be used in a back and forth motion to removed scuffed areas.
3. Remove water stains. To remove the water that can affect discolored suede, apply a light coat of water with a nail brush. Use a sponge or dry cloth to soak up excess water and then let the shoes dry overnight.

I want to contribute some other good sneaker cleaning methods. Mr. Clean Magic Erasers are incredible for spot cleans and touch ups in between full cleans.

Then for a full clean I recommend this:

tumblr_lyfy68Vnut1qiiwmeo1_500.jpg

20$ with shipping and totally worth it. Works on all surfaces too, including suede(use a toothbrush instead of the firm brush they provide you)

Watch out for Fakes
If you live in a city or shop online its easy to come across fakes. You must watch out for fakes, because the market for fakes is at a all time high.

1. Always check the inner tag in shoe that shows the size. Many times the tag has the wrong production year and the font style is off from an authentic tag.

2. Always look at the tag on the box. On most FAKES the box tag will be too big or labeled in the wrong place.

3. Check the original box, most FAKES boxes will be very thin and have lots of damage.

You can find more here:http://theshoegame.com/How-to-tell-if-sneakers-are-fake-.html

What are your thoughts?
- favorite shoes/player lines?
- thoughts on the current direction of the shoe game?
- price rises vs declining material quality?

Even if you just casually buy sneakers or thinking about buying a pair stay and say whats up!

Sneaker GAF Buy/Sell/Trade

Well, now would be an awesome time to use this document:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtANVO2urHlidHlLUzhWUk9MMlpaWVB5TnBPNHhUa3c&usp=sharing

I'll be sure to cop any sizes I can after I lock up a pair for myself.

Special Thanks!
Black Flames
Rastafarian42
DominoKid
Devolution
Face it Tiger..
Dreams-Visions
Spring-Loaded
captmcblack
Jackben

Guevara

I don't know if these count but I got em last month. Love the feel and color:

nike-free-run-2-woven-leather-tz-3-630x418.jpg

Nike Free Run +2 Woven Leather TZ Pack

(I think they were on Hypebeast lol)

ryuen

How To Keep Your Kicks Clean - http://jasonmarkk.com/collections/products (I swear by this stuff).

What are your thoughts?

- favorite shoes/player lines? - Jordans, Durants, Pennys, Air Maxes, ROSHES!

- thoughts on the current direction of the shoe game? Can't complain. Re-releasing everything I couldn't afford as a kid.

- price rises vs declining material quality? It is what it is, but they do a really solid job sometimes with the retros (see - Penny 2's, Air Zoom Flight 95's). But yeah, generally they will skimp on retros.

If we could get a post your collections started in this thread, that'd be amazing. Always like seeing what people have!

I had some kamikaze like shoes when I was younger. No idea what they were now though. If I had money to spend I'd be all over these:

asics-onitsuka-tiger-men-s-sneaker-casual-shoes-b4ec1.jpg

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
OK OK

still rocking my Supreme Vans most of the time, but i want some new lows for coachella. maybe the nike sb janikowski boat shoes.

i'm glad the shoe game has stepped away from the obnoxious colors and patent leather and stuck to re releasing classics. now i can finally get those true blue 3s!

Nice OP.

I personally am a fan of the Nike SB line but I do have some random pairs from the Adidas X Star Wars line from a while ago and the 'Nintendo' Air Max BW's. Also have a couple of Onitsuka Tigers as well.

Subbing.

nice thread. will be subscribing though i stopped collecting sneakers a few years ago. but man, i really need a pair of bred ivs.

i'm glad the shoe game has stepped away from the obnoxious colors and patent leather and stuck to re releasing classics. now i can finally get those true blue 3s!
Fashion sneakers are happy to fill that void :/

Flytops > vandals > blazers for me. Not a fan of the bball looking stuff.

Favorite shoes/player lines - Jordan. Jordan 1 Banned & Infared 6 have to be my favorite ones.

Thoughts on the current direction of the shoe game? - I like the fact they're retroing shoes outside of Jordans. I never got those Kamikaze's, the Crazy 8s or anything that MJ wasn't wearing, even though I was a huge fan of the players wearing them as a kid. Now that I can, I can't complain. Current player lines suck though.

Price rises vs declining material quality? - I never really tripped off of either. I paid $200+ for some Retro 5s only for them to get retroed for cheaper. -_-'

beat

I was briefly really into sneakers. Not so much now -- and I never had the money and time to line up overnight anyways -- but I do love clean lines like some versions of the Nike Frees, the New Balance newSKYs, and of course Dunks and AF1s.

No mention of magazines in the OP? Sole Collector, Sneaker Freaker?

Mr.Fresh

What are your thoughts?
- favorite shoes/player lines? I like Jordans, SOME KD Color ways, Lebrons are alright too. Air max, Chucks,and Shell toe Adidas.
- thoughts on the current direction of the shoe game? Cant really complain since back in the day I was to young to buy my own shoes.
- price rises vs declining material quality? Cant really complain about this either since almost every other industry is the same way.

I was briefly really into sneakers. Not so much now -- and I never had the money and time to line up overnight anyways -- but I do love clean lines like some versions of the Nike Frees, the New Balance newSKYs, and of course Dunks and AF1s.

No mention of magazines in the OP? Sole Collector, Sneaker Freaker?

I'll add them.

Slizz

I want to contribute some other good sneaker cleaning methods. Mr. Clean Magic Erasers are incredible for spot cleans and touch ups in between full cleans.

20$ with shipping and totally worth it. Works on all surfaces too, including suede(use a toothbrush instead of the firm brush they provide you)

My most recent kicks are these:

1Mqc9JX.png

Love Dunks.

1Mqc9JX.png

Love Dunks.

Looks like the most typical over priced brand material if I ever seen one.
The product no doubt use the exact same cleaning components that the regular $2-$5 shoe cleaners at every Walmart & supermarket out.

Slizz

Looks like the most typical over priced brand material if I ever seen one.
The product no doubt use the exact same cleaning components that the regular $2-$5 shoe cleaners at every Walmart & supermarket out.

I guess looks can be deceiving. Dunno about 5 dollar Kiwi Athletic shoe cleaner having soap made from Coconut and jojoba oils, as well as being environmentally safe. Blanket statements are cool.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I had some kamikaze like shoes when I was younger. No idea what they were now though. If I had money to spend I'd be all over these:

asics-onitsuka-tiger-men-s-sneaker-casual-shoes-b4ec1.jpg
I've been wearing Mexico 66s for like a decade now. For someone who doesn't need a lot of arch support and likes a really light/minimal shoe, these are the best. Whenever I see a pair for cheap, I buy them. They usually run around $80, but certain colors go as low as $40 on Amazon occasionally.

iq1V8lPlHFsu8.jpg

Air Jordan 1 Black/Royal
Feb 16, 2013
MSRP: $140
I've been out of the shoe game for the most part...but I want these bad, yo.

Anyways...been rocking these on the regular lately:

Air Jordan III Black/Red
8Zt9ERE.jpg

Nike SFB Combat Boot (love these!!! =)
fFgnzyr.jpg

Nike Air Max 90 Infrared (2005 History of Air edition, pretty beat up lol...though I have a pair of the 2010 re-release deadstock on ice, yo.)
0jx1EBJ.jpg

Mr.Fresh

I need the Kamikazes. I had no idea the original colorway came back out and now they're all on eBay for $200+. Hate resellers man.

Word! Those Kamikazes are hot if I find them for a reasonable price they're mine.

1Mqc9JX.png

Love Dunks.

Ok cool ill add it. I was really into Dunks but now I like Air Max better.

Never expected one of these threads to be made. I miss posting on NT. Anyways I was gonna recommend Jason Markk cleaner but someone already did so that's good.

Also since it's February the All Star collections have been shown these past weeks. If I was home I'd post the images for the OP.

I've been wearing Mexico 66s for like a decade now. For someone who doesn't need a lot of arch support and likes a really light/minimal shoe, these are the best. Whenever I see a pair for cheap, I buy them. They usually run around $80, but certain colors go as low as $40 on Amazon occasionally.

I've found I need arch support no matter what because I have higher than normal ones. So inserts are my friend with pretty much all shoes these days.

Slizz

Owned a pair of Mexico 66's, graduated to Ultimate 81's

AsicsUnisex.jpg

Got this pair; arch support, really comfortable and around 60$ for most colors.

trixx

I love me a pair of air max, and nike free 5.0.

I highly do not reccomend shopping at foot locker way overpriced and limited designs imo.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Great thread, Mr. Fresh. #92 on those Dev posted are sweet. Those black royal Air Jordan 1 in the op...tempting as hell. Just bought a pair of new balance the other day. Gonna have to add anything else to a wishlist for my birthday in March.
Still my favorite...

nike-air-classic-bw-nintendo-1.jpg

I need to wear them more often lol.
Nice.
Owned a pair of Mexico 66's, graduated to Ultimate 81's

AsicsUnisex.jpg

Got this pair; arch support, really comfortable and around 60$ for most colors.
Where you buyin at?

Slizz

Great thread, Mr. Fresh. #92 on those Dev posted are sweet. Those black royal Air Jordan 1 in the op...tempting as hell. Just bought a pair of new balance the other day. Gonna have to add anything else to a wishlist for my birthday in March.Nice.Where you buyin at?

Zappos, just looked at the site, got them from 55 to 70$, free shipping.

Great thread, Mr. Fresh. #92 on those Dev posted are sweet. Those black royal Air Jordan 1 in the op...tempting as hell. Just bought a pair of new balance the other day. Gonna have to add anything else to a wishlist for my birthday in March.Nice.Where you buyin at?

I'm getting fond of NBs as well.

I have this (actually wearing it right now):
35251_SP2854

And this:
35251_BL8133

Nike just re-released the Infrared 90s a couple of weeks ago...but with slightly yellowed soles for a 'vintaged' look.

http://i.imgur.com/LG9FaGV.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I know, there's been a bunch of infrared rereleases. Not a fan of the vintage midsole though the AM1 "vintage" was not bad since they weren't as yellowed.

I know, there's been a bunch of infrared rereleases. Not a fan of the vintage midsole though the AM1 "vintage" was not bad since they weren't as yellowed.
I hear ya...last year's 'engineered mesh' infrared 90s are kinda growing on me, I might be tempted to find them later on.

Top Bottom