• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3D demo on eShop this week

loosus

Banned
I just cannot get over the controls. They are fucking broken. And the camera is annoying as hell.

And they really didn't fix many of the "stop and go" issues of the original. They should've just removed the hunting and healing aspects entirely. Don't try to "streamline" them or whatever -- just get rid of them! They're not fucking fun.

What exactly is it about the controls people think is so much worse? To be honest I thought the demo controlled far better than the console versions, even with digital aiming.

Even the demo never fell as low as 15fps. The framerate is stable in gameplay and suffers in cut scenes but its not as bad as people are suggesting here. People have forgotten what truly low framerate games look like. Go hook up your n64!

loosus

Banned
Can someone tell me what's different about the camera? I don't remember having the camera go through trees and crap like that as much in the PS2 original.

Peff

So EDGE didn't play the game. Good

Don't worry, they didn't get the final final build!

Can someone tell me what's different about the camera? I don't remember having the camera go through trees and crap like that as much in the PS2 original.

The 3D camera was introduced in Subsistance, but the original Snake Eater had a top-down camera view like the others.

I really enjoyed my time with the demo.

Haven't played MGS3 since the original release (even though I have the PS2 limited edition of Subsistence, but never played it).

Frame rate and controls didn't bother me (except using the D-pad for "Action"). It really felt like "MGS3 in my hands", which is great in and off itself.

I liked the 3D. The jungle environment is well suited for it I think. The small amount of crosstalk (i.e. ghosting) did bother me though, which is strange because it rarely ever bothered me in other 3DS games (except on rare occasions)... I suspect this might be due to me having been using the Sony HMZ-T1 lately, which gives crosstalk-free 3D. I'll have to check other 3DS games to see if previously OK levels of crosstalk are starting to bother me now.

I felt that in some places they used lower-poly models than the PS2 version. Not sure if it's true or a fault of my memory.

Don't know if I'll buy the game. Depends on details of the full game and if any unique content is added.

I found the 3D absolutely awful... I am really tolerant to 3D (never had a headache on the 3DS, even after several hours), but this demo gave me a headache in just a few minutes...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Even the demo never fell as low as 15fps. The framerate is stable in gameplay and suffers in cut scenes but its not as bad as people are suggesting here. People have forgotten what truly low framerate games look like. Go hook up your n64!

Why? This is a low framerate game. The HD collection runs at 3x the framerate. I mean, that makes this pretty low.

Wizpig

In 3DS land that's how you roll, but hey a crapload of people will gobble up this crap.
In HD land we usually play <30 FPS games.

In 3DS land we play 30 FPS games and some 60 FPS games with stereoscopic 3d on.

Shitty home console portings with a budget of $2 do not count.

In HD land we usually play <30 FPS games.

In 3DS land we play 30 FPS games and some 60 FPS games with stereoscopic 3d on.

Shitty home console portings with a budget of $2 do not count.

I couldn't say anything better :p
People complaining about framerate on 3DS should play instead of trolling. It only have one year, and have a lot of beautiful 60FPS games, with 3D. Also 60FPS in 2D, and solid 30FPS games in 3D.
That's not because Konami made a cheap port means that 3DS have framerate problems.

Actually this is probably due to the crosshairs - unless they program it to physically move in the environment to land on what you're aiming at (see RE: Revelations' laser dot), you're going to have a really tough time aiming in 3D.

RE: Revelations has this problem with rifles. Through the scope you can either focus on the crosshair dot in the foreground or the enemy in the background, but not both. Either you look at the enemy and and frame him by the double image of dots you see, or you do the reverse, focusing on the dot and aiming between the double image of enemies you see. It's very disconcerting. And you can't just close one eye, because then the dot and enemy are offset from each other left or right, depending on which eye you closed. I always turn off 3D to use rifles in RE.

Still it'd be nice to have options.

Close your left eye. Problem solved. The right image dot is the one to use, while the left one is off.
I have really no problems sniping in RE:R, neither did I in Mercenaries 3D, but if you have problems, just close the left eye.

11redder

I've played through the demo about 10 times now and I really like it.

I'm not having any issues with the controls. I use the touch screen for inventory and stance changing. I only use the d-pad for action and that only involves pushing in with the lower part of my thumb rather than moving it off the slide pad, down and back up again.

I find the camera/aiming controls perfectly serviceable, even without the CPP. Obviously, it would have been preferable if gyro and touch screen options were also included.

Those complaining about the standard controls should just pony up for the cpp, because you're most likely going to have the same complaints for most every game that allows for significant camera/view control in the future. At least the option is there, unlike with the PSP.

The frame rate during game play thankfully doesn't bother me in the least, but the higher the better in the retail release. The frame rate in cutscenes is truly abysmal, however, and hopefully that has been addressed in the final build.

I love the 3d effect as well. During the day, I can play at full, but at night or when tired I need to reduce it significantly.

Overall, I think its great, a classic ready to be played on the go. If I had a Vita or planned on getting one anytime soon, I might be torn between this and the HD collection. But, as it is, I definitely plan on picking this up, along with RE:R, TotA (if still available) and the CPP when I'm paid at the end of the month.

metal_gear_solid_3_comparison.jpg

That's crazy, the contrast is so much better.

I don't think I buy what they say about him being higher poly, necessarily...better shaders and lighting alone can provide the same effect.

But yeah, this really highlights some of the differences. I wish there were more comparisons like this, I'd like to see more than just the starting areas of the game.

EDIT:

Saw this image in a Brazilian forum. I don`t know the origin, but I believe some folks will like to see it:

GAF -> internet -> GAF, lol

IMG_20120218_121251.jpg

I will post impressions in an hour, then maybe a video, if the final game is improved.

If it's not, well, you'll definitely hear me bitch about it.

Tyeforce

Yes, the version that runs at 400x240 is the best looking one.
Uh, resolution doesn't determine what looks best. Sure, a bigger picture may be clearer and nicer, but a mess in HD is still a mess. Not that I'm saying the original MGS3 is a mess, but the 3DS version has been improved in many areas, most notably more detail added, brighter and sharper colors, and, of course, the addition of 3D. The 3D and brighter colors alone make it the definitive version for me, which is why I'm buying it. I don't see why the resolution matters, you're playing it on the 3DS's screen after all, not a huge HD TV.

Desmond

Uh, resolution doesn't determine what looks best. Sure, a bigger picture may be clearer and nicer, but a mess in HD is still a mess. Not that I'm saying the original MGS3 is a mess, but the 3DS version has been improved in many areas, most notably more detail added, brighter and sharper colors, and, of course, the addition of 3D. The 3D and brighter colors alone make it the definitive version for me, which is why I'm buying it. I don't see why the resolution matters, you're playing it on the 3DS's screen after all, not a huge HD TV.

I'd rather play it in 720p @ 60fps, but that's just me.

Power is out in my neighborhood which inspired me to pick up my 3DS and continue the demo from where I left of (it was in sleep mode since Thursday night). Finished the demo and really enjoyed my time with it again. It reminded me how much I love Metal Gear Solid games (MGS4 not withstanding), they have something that I haven't experienced this gen which I really miss.

I wish the HD Collection had 3D, would have made it a no brainer purchase for me. As it stands I might want to look into other games that offer an MGS-like experience, preferably with 3D support (e.g. on PC via 3rd party plug-in).

Solid demo in my opinion, will definitely consider buying the full game. I've never been one to be bothered by framerate before (although I do love me 60fps), and I found the controls to be intuitive for the most part (having played so much MGS in the past helps I think). Low resolution did make distant targets a bit hard to make out, but the added 3D more than makes up for it in my book.

I played through the demo again to find some of the more "problematic" cutscenes and gameplay spots, sections where the frame rate noticeably dipped.

Then, I played through the same sections on the final game.

End result: little-to-no difference. Same frame rate hiccups. General gameplay seemed pretty solid, but the demo and final build chugged in the same spots to the same degree.

Disappointing, especially since the game DOES look inexplicably better in quite a few spots. For example, the opening sequence, specifically once Snake gets up to do the HALO jump, looks amazing in 2D and, definitely, in 3D. The added shaders and particle effects are very nice, and they're not present in the HD master or original (Edit: just rewatched the same part in the HD master, and yeah, 3D one definitely pops more. It could be the 3D effects, but still the 60fps is still awesome.)

Also, start menu is just New Game, so this isn't really Subsistence, unless everything unlocks later.

jokkir

I played through the demo again to find some of the more "problematic" cutscenes and gameplay spots, sections where the frame rate noticeably dipped.

End result: little-to-no difference. Same frame rate hiccups. General gameplay seemed pretty solid, but the demo and final build chugged in the same spots to the same degree.

Disappointing, especially since the game DOES look inexplicably better in quite a few spots. For example, the opening sequence, specifically once Snake gets up to do the HALO jump, looks amazing in 2D and, definitely, in 3D. The added shaders and particle effects are very nice, and they're not present in the HD master or original (Edit: just rewatched the same part in the HD master, and yeah, 3D one definitely pops more. It could be the 3D effects, but still the 60fps is still awesome.)

Also, start menu is just New Game, so this isn't really Subsistence, unless everything unlocks later.

I know you said it hiccups around the same place but does it have the same framerate as the demo in cutscenes and in game?

So would you recommend the game to someone like me that has never played a mgs game before, or should i wait for the HD collection for the vita?

I have my preorder ready on amazon but after playing the demo and reading this thread im not sure if i want to keep it?

Raine

So would you recommend the game to someone like me that has never played a mgs game before, or should i wait for the HD collection for the vita?

I have my preorder ready on amazon but after playing the demo and reading this thread im not sure if i want to keep it?

Honestly, if it's similar to the demo, I'd just play the HD collection. Better resolution, better framerate, better controls.

- J - D -

The CPP is a necessity for this game. The controls are just awful. Setting crouch/prone to Down on the d-pad? Ugh. (the touchscreen isn't an improvement)

- J - D -

I think this is one game that would've benefited from multiple control schemes.

YES. Why the hell not, right? Does the final retail game allow you to choose among control schemes?

I think the option to allow touch screen camera control or even gyroscope control would have been a boon for this game. I just really hate using face buttons for camera.

weren't you the guy that said that said he only owned nintendo systems? It's not like you even have a choice, mgs3d has a shitty resolution, shitty framerate and crappy controls (hurray for only 1 analog, hurray for oversized plastic add-ons). i don't think that's even up for debate.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The game is def the best looking version but that frame rate nulls everything else.

Not even close. I would take the original at higher and more stable fps over what the demo is and likely the retail is too.

I've played it on PCSX2, this is not even close to the best looking.

Anyone get screens of the retail version out yet?

15 fps is good enough for me, gives me an extra challenge.

Are you saying the cinematic feel makes it betre!?!

Welp.......

Screw it, I'm ordering one for my bro who has no 3DS games though. I won't touch this one with a ten foot pole knowing we got one coming to Vita though.

Edit - even got good shipping for cheap.

Boney

Banned

What a shame, but not unexpected. Gonna try the demo tomorrow to see how terrible it is.

OmegaZero

Meh.

First time KojiPro has ever put out a disappointing product for me.
Oh well, I'll still be getting this and the HD Collection on Vita since I'm a MGS whore.

Fighting urge to get this since HD Vita set is coming out, but the allure of the first handheld MGS3 with 3D is yelling at me so hard.

Do I really need a 5th and eventual 6th version of MGS3 on my self?

Gah, I'll probably cave in.

Tyeforce

weren't you the guy that said that said he only owned nintendo systems? It's not like you even have a choice, mgs3d has a shitty resolution, shitty framerate and crappy controls (hurray for only 1 analog, hurray for oversized plastic add-ons). i don't think that's even up for debate.
It's not like I don't own HD devices and haven't played HD games. Yeah, maybe the 3DS is the only system that I own that I can play MGS3 on, but that's not why I say I think it's the best looking version. You take me as if I'm some sort of ignorant fanboy just because I'm primarily a Nintendo gamer. No, I say I'd rather play MGS3D than the HD Collection because the 3DS version has actually been improved in areas and has new additions to gameplay, whereas the HD Collection has merely been cleaned up a tiny bit and made to run at a higher resolution with better frame rate. Yeah, the HD version may run smoother, but it's the same exact game just in HD. I'd rather have an improved and expanded (even if not very significantly so) version than a direct port. Plus, like I said, the 3D and brighter colors seals the deal for me. Resolution isn't very significant to me, what matters more is how the game actually looks (and 3D and brighter colors definitely adds a lot, as does updated character models, etc.), not how many pixels it's made up of. For example, I'd much rather play The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D than an HD version of the original.

I have a question for the people who have played the game and the original. Is the AI dumbed down, as in almost blind? As can be seen here: http://youtu.be/2ISSyRvooFQ?t=14m5s

Does the crouch walking break the stealth part of the game?

That's crazy, the contrast is so much better.

It has to, to compensate for the shitty 3DS screen.

It's not like I don't own HD devices and haven't played HD games. Yeah, maybe the 3DS is the only system that I own that I can play MGS3 on, but that's not why I say I think it's the best looking version. You take me as if I'm some sort of ignorant fanboy just because I'm primarily a Nintendo gamer. No, I say I'd rather play MGS3D than the HD Collection because the 3DS version has actually been improved in areas and has new additions to gameplay, whereas the HD Collection has merely been cleaned up a tiny bit and made to run at a higher resolution with better frame rate. Yeah, the HD version may run smoother, but it's the same exact game just in HD. I'd rather have an improved and expanded (even if not very significantly so) version than a direct port. Plus, like I said, the 3D and brighter colors seals the deal for me. Resolution isn't very significant to me, what matters more is how the game actually looks (and 3D and brighter colors definitely adds a lot, as does updated character models, etc.), not how many pixels it's made up of. For example, I'd much rather play The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D than an HD version of the original.

I read a lot of the voice acting is not present in this version. If that's true, this is not really an improved and expanded version and I (and a lot other people) would rather play the original in HD with good image quality and glorious 60FPS. You can get brighter colors on a semi-good TV than on a 3DS, I'm sure of that.

You can do codec calls whenever you want in this version, can't you?

Sadist

In other words, cutscenes hiccups? Eh, doesn't bother me. EDGE somewhat vindicated.

Guess I'll get it eventually.

I have a question for the people who have played the game and the original. Is the AI dumbed down, as in almost blind? As can be seen here: http://youtu.be/2ISSyRvooFQ?t=14m5s

Does the crouch walking break the stealth part of the game?

It has to, to compensate for the shitty 3DS screen.

I read a lot of the voice acting is not present in this version. If that's true, this is not really an improved and expanded version and I (and a lot other people) would rather play the original in HD with good image quality and glorious 60FPS. You can get brighter colors on a semi-good TV than on a 3DS, I'm sure of that.

Definitely not. I found that the enemies could spot you from a mile away, if you don't have good camo and/or conceal yourself in the environment.

I'm playing on normal.

Other thoughts:

-Played through Virtuous Mission.
-I'm very susceptible to 3D, and the effect is impressive here.
-You can store 12 photo camos. The game accesses your 3DS photo gallery and uses the pictures from there.
-Game tracks all your stats in real time, which is a huge difference from the original. I remember thinking I had 0 alerts back in the game, only to complete the game and find out the game recorded 1 at some point.
-Game also tracks your stats across all play troughs.
-Extreme difficulty = game ends when spotted.

Emitan

Definitely not. I found that the enemies could spot you from a mile away, if you don't have good camo and/or conceal yourself in the environment.

I'm playing on normal.

In the demo I would use the appropriate camo, but I could crouch walk right in front of an enemy and then hide and not get spotted, but they'd be like "Did I see something?"

Tyeforce

Wasn't that proven false already? People who have played the game have said they haven't come across any missing voice acting.

And the color brightness and contrast of the textures and whatnot has actually been changed in the 3DS version, it's not just some trickery of the 3DS's screen. And yeah, maybe some people may prefer the duller, less contrasting colors, but not me. Anyway, I understand that many people would prefer higher resolution and better frame rate, but it's like they're forgetting about all the other improvements of the 3DS version. There are new improvements to gameplay like crouch walking, touch screen menus, etc., and of course it's in 3D (which may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I'd prefer 3D to 2D any day, even if it means I'd have to take a dip in frame rate). I don't understand why everyone is so quick to dismiss this version of the game.

Top Bottom