• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Decadence - Fallout with Swords

Bossman

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/

I'm sure there are at least a couple of oldskool PC RPG fans here who are looking forward to this game. It has been in development for a very long time and it's still at least months away from release but the good news is that the demo will be released in a week or so if everything goes as planned.

Here's one video that shows the combat system in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmQk-z-b8u4

The combat system is obviously heavily inspired by Fallout 1 & 2 which is a good thing in my opinion because there's always room for more turn-based games.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Totally looking forward to what VD does with this. It seems like its taking forever though :lol Also the zombie rpg from Brian and Annie sounds good too. Cant wait! :D

ArjanN

Bossman said:
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/

I'm sure there are at least a couple of oldskool PC RPG fans here who are looking forward to this game. It has been in development for a very long time and it's still at least months away from release but the good news is that the demo will be released in a week or so if everything goes as planned.

Here's one video that shows the combat system in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmQk-z-b8u4

The combat system is obviously heavily inspired by Fallout 1 & 2 which is a good thing in my opinion because there's always room for more turn-based games.

Argh, your post made me think it was done or something.

Will try out the demo.

Indie games release date are always really unpredictable because it's a only a couple of guys, especially if it's something ambitious like this.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully this comes out soon, very interesting looking game with old school mechanics and a bunch of choices, i aprove.

Dennis

Banned
Very much looking forward to this and also Cyclopean - the Cthulu one.

Oh yeah, and the zombie one too :lol

Llyranor

IIRC this is just supposed to be a combat demo. Another demo with the starting area + about 20 quests is planned for around when the game is released. Anyway, downloading!

peakish

Man, it's hard, slowly getting the hang of the combat system but haven't gotten past the triarii yet. Lucked out as hell on the butcher...

If the real game isn't that combat heavy (which is what they've said about it) it'll be great fun to play as a fighter!

Plus, it's so cool that they've finally released something! Mayor props!

Grayman said:
Am I too dense to figure a way out of the arena after the fight?
Click on one of the gates, you may have to rotate the camera to see them.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'm looking forward to this. Though the small studio RPG that I'm really interested in is Zombie RPG.

DennisK4 said:
Very much looking forward to this and also Cyclopean - the Cthulu one.

Oh yeah, and the zombie one too :lol

I just shit my pants. I'll do a Google search on this, but the stupid work firewall will probably block the site.

How is the Age of Decadence though? Is it really Fallout 2/Baldur's Gate style?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Gravijah said:
Someone isn't going to read the OP and they're going to say "So... Oblivion?"
Not reading the OP? Hmmmmmm...

scum.jpg

Clevinger

Bossman said:
The combat system is obviously heavily inspired by Fallout 1 & 2

That's not really a good thing, to me. Fallout's combat was like Jagged Alliance 2, but without any strategy, with some of the dumbest AI in turn-based combat, and it took forever.

edit: Judging from that video, the AI in this doesn't look too hot, either. :lol @ the archer running back and forth for no reason while being stabbed.

Decado

They're still making this game? I wonder if that Baldur's Gate inspired title still in development? Broken Hourglass or something.

peakish

Purkake4 said:
New gameplay video

Let's just say that the game doesn't show too well on video...
I'm actually semi-serious when saying that the graphics are getting too good at this point :D

Clevinger said:
edit: Judging from that video, the AI in this doesn't look too hot, either. :lol @ the archer running back and forth for no reason while being stabbed.
There's a combat beta from a year back if you want to try it out. It's quite difficult and quite fun. The archer running back and forth is due to attacks of opportunities when disengaging from combat.

Clevinger

peakish said:
There's a combat beta from a year back if you want to try it out. It's quite difficult and quite fun. The archer running back and forth is due to attacks of opportunities when disengaging from combat.

I did, but it crashed or there was some huge bug, I don't remember exactly what, so I never bothered with it.

peakish

Clevinger said:
I did, but it crashed or there was some huge bug, I don't remember exactly what, so I never bothered with it.
That's too bad, maybe it was fixed in one of the patched versions if you'd like to give it another go?

DiscoJer

The front page of their website has a quote by Glen Cook. Does the game have anything to do with any of his works, or are they just using the quote for atmosphere?

peakish

DennisK4 said:
Really?

Considering what the game is, I was pleasantly surprised at how good the graphics looks.
Turn-based combat is hard to show as "exciting" in videos, as is text and quest choices. For instance if I didn't know that a gameplay mechanic is making the archer pace back and forth in one of the rounds I'd also think that it'd look rotten bad.

From the developers in the forum btw:

Vince said:
It's hard to show choices in a video, unless you go back and forth and explore different branches. For example, there are several choices in this quest but they are barely visible in the video. The most important choice is killing your partner instead of killing the Imperial Guards' commander, in which case the quest would take a very different direction. Another choice is using a disguise option instead of fleeing through the window.

Edit: They should do a narrated video or something.

DiscoJer said:
The front page of their website has a quote by Glen Cook. Does the game have anything to do with any of his works, or are they just using the quote for atmosphere?
Just a random quote.

Purkake4

Banned
peakish said:
Turn-based combat is hard to show as "exciting" in videos, as is text and quest choices. For instance if I didn't know that a gameplay mechanic is making the archer pace back and forth in one of the rounds I'd also think that it'd look rotten bad.
Yup, I was referring to showing off dialog trees and turn-based combat, not the graphics(which are ok).

ha, that new video is really cool. so different to pretty much any other rpgs made now, it's closer to what I imagine real rpgs are like (although I've never played one) with everything being narrated with only still images to give an idea of atmosphere and place. really looking forward to seeing a bigger chunk of story, or a video with the different paths shown.

Emitan

While the video can't show it, the dialogue choice are shown really well on the forums when a developer posts screenshots from a quest and the forum votes on which actions to take. It's really cool that they do that.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Downloading from rapidshare just fine (around 30 mins for my slow internets).

What's included? It seems quite small. Is it just the same old arena demo, just better?

The game seems promising enough but so many things could go wrong too.

I also didn't at all like the overall camera/controls of the first combat demo, but the mechanics were decent. I just really hope they've done something much better by now because it wouldn't be fun to have those controls for the duration of a sprawling RPG... It was like the NWN games' annoyances but worse. I'd do it if I had to but fingers crossed hoping for the best.

Emitan

Started a new game as a Praetor and started in a court, so yes, it's actually a real beta and not the combat demo.

Acosta

I'm enjoying this, hard as nuts, killed a few times for stupid decisions from my part (next time I want to kill someone by surprise, remind me to have a dagger :p ). But the stats make a difference in chats and situations.

Trying to make a non combatant type, I know the combat is great already.

Almighty

Sweet getting it now. Can't wait to play around with it. I have been watching this games development for a long time.

Top Bottom