• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mother 2 Resurrection Festival, game coming to Wii U VC in Japan on 3/20

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/famicom30th/mother2/index.html

The price will be a mere 30 yen for the first 30 days Mother 2 is on the Wii U Virtual Console, starting March 20th. Discussion of Mother 2 on Wii U VC via its Miiverse community. Itoi will have an official Mii there. Iwata hopes both previous and new players of Mother 2 will enjoy the VC game together, sharing experiences on Miiverse.

Here's a countdown to the release of Mother 2 and the start of its Miiverse community.

Here is my translation of remarks from Shigesato Itoi:

What Mother Means to Me, by Shigesato Itoi

What kind of a game is Mother? Even now, it's difficult to give a real answer.

If some kids took some dolls out of a toy box, plates no longer used from the kitchen, found some nuts and bolts from a tool box, some leaves and flowers from the garden, lined them up on the carpet while singing a nonsense song, it would begin to describe that world. It's with that kind of feeling that Mother was made.

Well, I am an adult, so I'd add a few angles here, hide a few secrets there, and unabashedly add some really hard parts.

At that point, I'd have a bunch of friends come over to play, and with all their ways of having fun, I'd make them into the simple roots and base of a story, decorating it with twigs and leaves and flowers.

Here and there, people I've met on different occasions have told me,
"I first heard of you by playing the game Mother, Itoi-san." This wasn't just when the game was released, but also long after the fact.

All kinds of people have gone around the playground called Mother, telling me of their recollections of a tiny safety pin, shards of colored glass, dried leaves, and so forth. When I say,
"Wow, you really remember that well," then say,
"I loved every nook and cranny of that world," as their eyes light up.
"Me too," I say.

Well, yeah, maybe that's it. I wanted to make a playground that everyone would value down to the tiniest or most insignificant thing. The goal I probably didn't think of before making it was to be discovered by players throughout the world. Yeah, that's one thing I wanted to do.

Even when I made Mother, already as an adult, having lived nearly another 30 years, have become an adult again. I think things that I didn't think then.

For example, things like, "What kind of a person do I want to be when I die?" I already have an answer: "A person who has a fun wake." Once I've died, what did I perpetrate, what kind of a moron was I, what kind of fun did I have, and how kind was I sometimes when I was alive? That should be within the memories of many. That's what I want people to say to those around them with a laugh to encourage them to fight on. I want a life that can create that kind of a party. Honor, wealth, achievements, and records don't really mean anything. I think the person is in what people say about them when brought up, saying, "That guy..."

Well, it's not that the game Mother is dying or even a person, but it's that kind of thing, I suppose.

...Please make make some fun memories with yet someone new with the Mother 2 that you've already played so many times. I'm so happy that this day has come. I'm sure that everyone who worked on this game is also incredibly pleased.

Thank you for everything.

MoogPaul

If NOA goes as far as to show the new Monolith game and an SMT/FE cross over game, the fact that they dont talk about Mother at all should speak volumes.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Well that was touching. AND painful. Release anything Mother over here you schmucks. :mad:

I want to meet this man and buy him a pint.

The Boat

I really feel like playing Earthbound, but I've been holding off in hopes that NoE would bring it over. It's sad that Europe never had a single Mother game.

Whelp, looks like another year of hard drinking for me. Thanks for nothing, Nintendo of America.

I can only imagine how frustrated and upset those of you in Europe are about the situation, considering you've never even had a reasonably legitimate way to play this series.

The way he writes and speaks is so...awesome.

I especially love this paragraph:

"What kind of a person do I want to be when I die?" I already have an answer: "A person who has a fun wake." Once I've died, what did I perpetrate, what kind of a moron was I, what kind of fun did I have, and how kind was I sometimes when I was alive? That should be within the memories of many. That's what I want people to say to those around them with a laugh to encourage them to fight on. I want a life that can create that kind of a party. Honor, wealth, achievements, and records don't really mean anything. I think the person is in what people say about them when brought up, saying, "That guy..."

It's shocking how NOA wants to ignore and bury the Earthbound/Mother franchise.

/hugs SNES Earthbound cart and GBA Mother 3 English flash cart

Itoi is VERY GOOD at having me tear up as I consider my own mortality.

But his tweets seemed to imply that he was 'working' on the game, maybe this is presented in a slightly classier manner than a rom dump, but if that's all this is, there doesn't seem like... a LOT of work that would be required of it.

You know, not like the work required to take out certain music so certain games can be released overseas...

scy

So if this gets announced for NA, can we get together as a collective entity and lose our shit together?

I think I'd like that. I'd like that a lot.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
So if this gets announced for NA, can we get together as a collective entity and lose our shit together?

I think I'd like that. I'd like that a lot.

I keep seeing stuff like this but it's like, if you've played it before, where does this attitude come from? It's not like buying it would lock in an English Mother 3 or jumpstart development on Mother 4.

Great little message from Itoi.

But seriously, what the hell Nintendo? Nintendo not doing anything with Mother in America is one of the few things in video game culture that actually gets on my nerves. Christ, their utter lack of communication about it upsets me as well.

Say something. Fuck, what is going on. Why aren't we getting this (I know of the copyright stuff, but I want to hear them give more details about it now from their mouths)?

But seriously, what the hell Nintendo? Nintendo not doing anything with Mother in America is one of the few things in video game culture that actually gets on my nerves. Christ, their utter lack of communication about it upsets me as well.

Say something. Fuck, what is going on. Why aren't we getting this (I know of the copyright stuff, but I want to hear them give more details about it now from their mouths)?

If only videogames had some sort of journalistic arm that could push those questions towards Nintendo. If only.

Cbajd5

I don't know why, but I'm still not conviced it won't be released in the US/EU.

Maybe after the 30 cent sales, since they know a lot of people want to buy it and would be willing to pay more than 30 cents for it?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
The main reason Earthbound/Mother 2 wasn't released on the VC was because of copyright issues due to audio samples, right? So if it's being released in Japan, one would assume that this problem has been resolved and that a North American release is imminent?

What could they possibly gain from saying "We have a game that is legally actionable but it's okay, we're only releasing it in Japan where thus far no one has noticed"?

Tiu Neo

Fuck you, NOA. Seriously.

Someone said on the other thread that it'll probably come in the US, but until it's out, I won't believe this. The fact they didn't even acknowledge the game on the non-Japanese Directs and NOA incompetence in bringing RPGs west is pretty telling, for me.

Do anybody expect Nintendo will offer Earthbound for 30 cents during te Famicom festival? Even if they'll bring it to the west not in that way.

What could they possibly gain from saying "We have a game that is legally actionable but it's okay, we're only releasing it in Japan where thus far no one has noticed"?
Really, I have no idea what they could gain from talking, but I'm simply curious from a production standpoint. I'd love to know what has happened with the franchise in America from 1995 or whatever to today. It'd be great to have an inside perspective as to how the franchise was dealt with.

EMT0

Banned
Fuck you, NOA. Seriously.

Someone said on the other thread that it'll probably come in the US, but until it's out, I won't believe this. The fact they didn't even acknowledge the game on the non-Japanese Directs and NOA incompetence in bringing RPGs west is pretty telling, for me.

Oh look, someone read my mind like an open book and posted it on the internet.

Top Bottom