• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GiantBomb Quick Look Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gowans

Giant Bomb look like they are trying out a new think where they capture footage of themselves playing a game over a set period of time while they commentate, walking you through the games features and gameplay.

I'm really liking it, thought some other GAFers might too, like a mini podcast with games footage. Really nice take on giving more information this way instead of gameplay cips and a preview.

So far

Castlevania Judgement - 17:56

Skate 2 -20:50

The Maw - - 15:27

GTI Club Plus - 4:24

soldat7

Brilliant idea. They need to brand this ("Quick Look" is so meh) and market it to drive traffic to their site IMO. Great feature.

soldat7 said:
Brilliant idea. They need to brand this ("Quick Look" is so meh) and market it to drive traffic to their site IMO. Great feature.

Yup. Should be called THE BOMB SQUAD.

Clear the way for the S
The S1Ws

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
What are you guys getting out of this?

I don't much like spoiling the opening part of a game, and while I know Jeff is an intelligent game critic, his commentary is pretty useless; he doesn't get the mechanics, fumbles around the world and forgets to talk half the time.

It's this whole ADD twitter/live-blogging/soundbite-headline obsession that gamers have; I'd rather wait for Jeff to finish The Maw and collate his experience into a cohesive and coherent evaluation of the game.

Nose Master

This type of stuff has been around youtube for years, haha. Lets Play's. Granted, I'd rather listen/watch to GiantBomb play new games than some nasally nerd playing Azure Dreams, but still. It's not exactly groundbreaking.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
McBacon said:

I don't much like spoiling the opening part of a game, and while I know Jeff is an intelligent game critic, his commentary is pretty useless; he doesn't get the mechanics, fumbles around the world and forgets to talk half the time.

It's this whole ADD twitter/live-blogging/soundbite-headline obsession that gamers have; I'd rather wait for Jeff to finish The Maw and collate his experience into a cohesive and coherent evaluation of the game.

I'm with you. I kind of think it has more to do with the personalities than anything else though.

soldat7

McBacon said:

I think the potential is there for these to become really funny (think Mystery Science Theater). Plus they could feature backlog games and maybe some niche titles as well. I suggest that they focus on Ubisoft's "Z" line of games at first.

Banzaiaap said:
Replace Giant Bomb with awesome in the thread title and people will still understand it.
I sense bias. ;)

Hi Banzai. :D

But seriously, I enjoy watching the quick look. Too bad they don't do them more often, cause they really give a good sense of the game they're looking at.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Just watched Skate 2 where he was 5 or 6 hours in, instead of never touching the game, and its a much more useful video.

Dear God... watching that guy play skate2 was an exercise in torture.

There's not much worse than watching somebody who sucks horribly at a game constantly retry the same few segments. Wow... just painful.

ampere

Kintaro said:
I'm with you. I kind of think it has more to do with the personalities than anything else though.
Yeah, I think he's being pretty funny :lol
Not going to watch much of the Maw video though, I'm already sold on it and don't want to have too much spoiled for me

Nizz

njp142 said:
Haha, I like the Mystery Science Theater vibe.
I was gonna say this. :lol Watching the Castlevania one. It's a bolt action rifle shot to center mass. :D

Nose Master said:
This type of stuff has been around youtube for years, haha. Lets Play's. Granted, I'd rather listen/watch to GiantBomb play new games than some nasally nerd playing Azure Dreams, but still. It's not exactly groundbreaking.
It's also not exactly something I would expect people to be excited seeing Gerstie involved in, given his awesome Wii "quick look".

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
fantastic.

i had no idea how much potential ryan, jeff, brad, and vinny had when they worked at gamespot. that shit was holding them back.

McBacon said:
Something unique from other big game sites. As opposed to
McBacon said:
I'd rather wait for Jeff to finish The Maw and collate his experience into a cohesive and coherent evaluation of the game.
Doing what everyone else will be doing. And something they'll do afterwards anyway.

Gowans

Like I said you have to think of these not as reviews but more preview/hands on with a game.

I can defiantly see an interest in this, gona chuck on the Castlevania one now before kip.

Really hope to see more of these and where the format evolves.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
giantbomb has really surprise me and has taken the top spot for me for best video game website. best video game podcast too!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'd still rather stick with the hilarious or informative LPs that usually come out of Something Awful's LP forum. Just not enough content.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I think I tossed this idea out when someone was planning a new NeoGAF themed podcast. It'll be interesting to see if these snippets can bridge the huge gap between a preview and a review.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Haha, I like the Castlevania video. Especially that second fight when they do the special attack with the owl.

"...
What happened to Castlevania?"

I like the idea to see their true first impressions, but at the same time I'd have a hard time watching any games I'm really interested in since I wouldn't want the whole beginning ruined for me. Still, for games I'm not sure on it would definitely be a good way to get some feedback outside of a review.

The Castlevania one is fantastic because it's basically just Jeff and Ryan lampooning a bad game. Like everyone else is saying, you get sort of a MST3K vibe. The Skate 2 video is pretty alright, too, just to watch Jeff wipe out.

The rest I'm sort of "Eh" about, namely because they aren't terribly amusing. I guess information is great and all, but some entertainment value is lost. Especially Jeff's rather dire-in-tone "Who is this for?" GTI Club+ video.

In short:

Comedy Good.
Depressed Indifference Bad.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Musashi Wins! said:
It looked incredibly tedious from the Quick Look.
Jeff seemed to be having a good time. Although he has a somewhat unhealthy obsession with watching Maw burn things.

I would have liked to hear more comments from Jeff though. I like his brand of dry humor. Maybe he can have other people watching commentate as well. It could be funny just to hear the back and forth that usually goes on between the participant and the onlookers. Multiplayer would be interesting too.

Nice to see Jeff playing the PS3 version of Skate 2.

I tend to think Giant Bomb leans towards 360 gaming most of the time, (which I don't have too much of a problem with, if that's your thing,) but the PS3 controller feels better for skate, IMO.

I bought the original Skate on 360 first, and switched to the PS3 version pretty quickly. I find the symmetrical dual analog sticks on the PS3 more closely match the essence of the "feet on the board" control scheme/feel the designers were looking for.

Rlan

I'd like to see more, but also have a second person there along with them, even if its a single player game "backseat gaming" along with them.

I liked the Maw and Castlevania ones, but I think the GTI Club one could have done with a second guy making an argument about the game's style.

Mohonky

"And theres some woman"
"Looks more like a girl to me"
".....and thats why I'm on parole right now"

I love the sense of humour these guys have. I like that they don't take themselves or their work too seriously and it's all the more enjoyable for it. Hearing their first impressions in this format I think it's the best thing to be done on a games site for some time. No one looking over their heads dictating what they do or say; it's as honest an opinion as you can get.

Nintaiyo

I like these videos a lot, especially when there's more than one person talking about the games, kinda like the podcasts.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
RBH said:

No, I get that, but isn't that the idea of the Quick Look? Watch Jeff play a level or two as one would experience it rather than highlights? Watching this one let me know that this looks like boring shovelware from 98. Perhaps experiencing it past this point reveals the cult hit that resides inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom