• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The hate for Carbs

sam12

I don't understand the mentality developing which labels all carbs as evil, blaming for chronic disease development. Have a coworker who eats meat, dairy and some veggies for every meal and shuns carbs. That person also doesn't understand that veggies have carbs in them as well. Majority of the world outside of western nations eats Carbs every day with a very small amount of meat. The country I came from, we used to eat things like Rice, whole wheat, lentils, beans, cooked veggies, fruit, nuts, potatoes etc every day and only had meat like two-three times a week. Is this only a western idea to shun Carbs when they should actually distance themselves from processed foods/baked goods.

Ashhong

Never heard of people blaming it for chronic disease. My parents are healthy as can be and have probably eaten a bowl of rice at least twice a day for their entire life.

Razorback

Nutrition science is a mess. The same thing goes for saying processed foods are inherently unhealthy. It completely depends on the process.

Carbs are beneficial if you're active. You can easily abuse them by eating cereal and toast for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, pasta or rice dish for dinner.

Variety is key + physical activity to burn the stuff you ingest.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Its a pushback on the overloading of carbs. Eating a cup of rice a day is actually pretty low carb compared to a typical American diet. Also vegetables are high in fiber which blunts the effect on blood sugar.

Going completely keto can be overkill for most people but reducing your carb intake shouldn't be demonized. Its just another way to partition your calories and some people (like me) prefer protein and fat over carbs.

nynt9

It's a backlash to the nutrition science from the 60s/70s that was funded by the sugar lobby that promoted carb heavy diets which contributes to the obesity epidemic.

Krakatoa

The reason is we get too much sugar in our diet. So easing up on the carbs helps lower your sugar intake.

That's why people do low carb diets.

Somnid

You're conflating dislike of grains (which is mostly grounded in autoimmune response arguments) with dislike of carbs in general (keto). Both tend to overlap in the Paleo community but the end goals are very different, one eats for symptom reduction and optimum wellness, the other is eating for weight loss.

But in general, humans don't need carbs to function so eliminating them for any reason is not overly problematic aside from limiting your access to the cheap boxed stuff.

Weckum

It's the best food group

Tastiest for sure.

The biggest problem is that our diets are rather carb heavy, which wouldn't be a problem if we had a lot of physical excercise. Most people sit in cubicles all day tho so they don't burn off the energy provided by the carbs.

Also, sugar is way worse than carbs.

aceface

The problem for me is when I eat a bowl of carbs, I'm hungry again like an hour later. Shit ain't satisfying, so then I eat more which isn't good. Give me some protein and I'm good to go for awhile.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I generally avoid carbs, especially grains, and I stay slim and healthy and never hungry. It works great for me and many others. It continues to gain in popularity because it works and the benefits become apparent very quickly in most cases.

entremet

Carbs in caloric excess, which is very easy in the Standard American Diet, can be very fattening.

But vilifying all carbs is totally dumb. Explain Asia and long lived populations studied by Dan Buetter via The Blue Zones. Almost all them get most of their calories from carb sources.

All carbs like all fats are not created equal. There's a gulf of difference between Pop Tarts and Lentils.

Also if you look at SAD carbs sources--refined white bread without fiber, fried potatoes in vegetable oils (which are horrible), pastries, pizza, cheeseburgers.

Compare that to rice, beans, lentils, boiled potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn and so on.

Red

Tastiest for sure.

The biggest problem is that our diets are rather carb heavy, which wouldn't be a problem if we had a lot of physical excercise. Most people sit in cubicles all day tho so they don't burn off the energy provided by the carbs.

Sugar is a carbohydrate.

Tastiest for sure.

... I hate to break this to you...

Stevey

Kill all carbs

91Lro2RJNnL._SL1500_.jpg

gaiages

Banned
It's just a diet. Works for some, doesn't work for others.

One and done.

Cutting carbs works better for me than other diets, so I do that. They aren't the devil or whatever, but hey added bonus of lowering sugar intake. And with the diabetes epidemic, cutting processed sugar out is a very good thing.

I think the real problem with carbs is that a lot of things are just loaded with carbs but no fat or protein. Since carbs are burned quickly for bursts of energy, without enough of the other two macros we get hungry more often and make a cycle where we overeat.

Teletraan1

Banned
The only carbs I hate are sugar carbs. I have significantly reduced those through cutting out softdrinks and packaged baked goods, but still eat beans, rice, quinoa etc which are all fairly high in carbs and have lost over 100lbs. I feel a lot better for it and lead a more active lifestyle now.

entremet

I'm actually not anti low carb. My big issue to the blanket statement of saying all carbs are bad.

Low carb dieting is rather good for appetite control and helps cut off all the junk food found in most diets. The problem is that it may not be sustainable for many and it may be too expensive for many. Meat isn't cheap.

Red

The only carbs I hate are sugar carbs. I have significantly reduced those through cutting out softdrinks and packaged baked goods, but still eat beans, rice, quinoa etc which are all fairly high in carbs and have lost over 100lbs. I feel a lot better for it and lead a more active lifestyle now.
"Sugar carbs"—fructose, sucrose, maltose, lactose etc... span a wide range of foods and should not be treated equally.

Carbs in caloric excess, which is very easy in the Standard American Diet, can be very fattening.

But vilifying all carbs is totally dumb. Explain Asia and long lived populations studied by Dan Buetter via The Blue Zones. Almost all them get most of their calories from carb sources.

All carbs like all fats are not created equal. There's a gulf of difference between Pop Tarts and Lentils.

Also if you look at SAD carbs sources--refined white bread without fiber, fried potatoes in vegetable oils (which are horrible), pastries, pizza, cheeseburgers.

Compare that to rice, beans, lentils, boiled potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn and so on.

There is also a difference in fat content between those two sources you also suggested

entremet

There is also a difference in fat content between those two sources you also suggested

Yep, which adds to caloric density.

I think a good rule of thumb: Fat plus Carbs = Danger Zone.

Go to any fast food restaurant and supermarket aisle--fat plus carbs is the norm basically. This helps explains the obesity crisis.

Daily value for a 2000 calorie diet is like 300g carbs. I made augments to cut it down to 50. Best decision of my life, i lost 30 pounds and have kept it off even though now I'm less strict and do 100g.

I obviously don't hate it all, but it does make a serious difference if only because I'm actually monitoring what i put in my body.

PKrockin

Carbs are less satiating than protein or fat so some people find success losing weight by avoiding them. A lot of easily binged foods are high in carbs like pasta, donuts, soda, generally anything high in sugar.

I don't know what country you're from, but the US and a few other western countries are facing a massive obesity problem. Tabloid articles and frauds like Dr. Oz find a lot of success cherry picking one study and/or taking it out of context in order to name new "fat busting super foods" or "two weird tips", various easy panaceas to solve your weight problem. There's a ton of disinformation out there which leads to a lot of arguing and a lot of hyperbole.

120v

that person also doesn't understand that veggies have carbs in them as well.

well carbs you find in, say, spinach and kale are much different and have a different dietary effect than those found in breads, pastas ect unless you're downing starchy vegetables like potatoes or whatever

anyway, it's really dependent on your lifestyle. like if you run about 2 miles a day or every other day you can load on the carbs no problem but if you're looking to be lean and feel generally less shitty you'll have the best success with the low/no carb path

and this is talking through a general "fitness/health" prism... the general population is essentially letting carbs kill them being completely oblivious that it can't make up most of your diet without any exercise. ask any physician they'll tell you excess carbs are the primary cause of most of their patients major problems

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's Food Woo.

People get irrationally angry about being criticized in their food choices. 90% of weight loss is just calories in/calories out and literally every effective weight-loss plan has it in common. Carbs aren't responsible for you losing weight, nor are they responsible for you feeling kind of weird on your diet. It's because you're a glutton with no portion control

Log all your food in MyFitnessPal and you'll figure it out real quick (and that includes weighing your food to get a good sense of your calorie intake because you're likely eating way more than you think you are). Most people are far too lazy to track their calories, but actually doing it is markedly more effective than utilizing whatever One Weird Trick to Lose Weight that's making tons of money by selling for 50% more than the alternative.

Kayhan

Kill all carbs

91Lro2RJNnL._SL1500_.jpg

lol the fact that it includes sweeteners is an admission that humans have evolved to want to ingest things that taste sweet.

Eating carbs is natural. So is eating protein and fat.

Some of y'all nuts and have a warped relationship with food.

Eat natural, minimally processed, food and worry less about some carbs.

OP, vegetables have carbs, but they are fiber carbs which don't count towards net carbs for someone on a low carb diet.

Also, adamruinseverything.video

PixelatedBookake

I mean...as long as you are exercising as much as your eating carbs it shouldn't destroy your body. Limit your sugars overall and be more aware of how often you eat carbs and you should be good.

It's quite the opposite. I love carbs too much. That's why I'm on a low carb diet. As stated earlier, veggies have fiber that counter acts the carbs in veggies.

kubev

Have a coworker who eats meat, dairy and some veggies for every meal and shuns carbs. That person also doesn't understand that veggies have carbs in them as well.

The idea of a low-carb diet isn't necessarily to completely eliminate carbs. If you want to almost or entirely eliminate carbs from your diet, then you're probably not gonna see a whole lot of variety in your diet. I eat very few veggies, but I generally just keep my carb consumption low, focusing instead on fat and protein intake. I have much more energy than I ever used to on a "normal" diet.

I visited my brother's family for a week recently. Since he has five kids, I realized that it wasn't practical to go the low-carb route (since I didn't want to seem rude by refusing their cooking), so I just ate whatever I was offered during the trip. For some meals, I was able to keep my carb consumption relatively low, but there were times when I'd eat meals that had very little to offer in the way of low-carb foods. There were 3-4 times during my stay when I felt really light-headed, and that tended to only be remedied by relaxing and consuming lower-carb (and higher-fat) foods later in the day.

Majority of the world outside of western nations eats Carbs every day with a very small amount of meat. The country I came from, we used to eat things like Rice, whole wheat, lentils, beans, cooked veggies, fruit, nuts, potatoes etc every day and only had meat like two-three times a week. Is this only a western idea to shun Carbs when they should actually distance themselves from processed foods/baked goods.

The difference is balance. If you eat a "normal" diet in any given region, then it's likely to balance various food groups more in order to compensate for the higher carb intake. You don't really have to balance food groups in a low-carb diet, for example, because you could just eat milk and cheese all day, which is perfect for a low-carb diet.

Some people don't have to worry about balancing a normal diet, because their metabolism can handle anything they throw at it. I'm not one of those people, nor do I have the time or motivation to cook a multi-course meal for one person all of the time.

Aiii

So not worth it
Some people gain weight faster and easier than you do, OP.

My colleague eats half a loaf of bread every day and is thin as a motherfucker. Yet here I am walking 90 minutes a day and if I have more than two slices of bread I'm gaining weight.

Not everyone's carb intake = the same gain or loss in weight.

Lol. "'I hate carbs' is stupid. What they should really hate are processed foods!"

Pseudoscience abounds. A bulk of the carbs in western diets come from white bread that is chock full of added sugars. People eschewing that and eating vegetables instead is a good thing.

And none of the actual fad diets that I'm aware of, actually encourage you to eat massive servings of meat, if you actually look at the source materials for the diets. People just try the diets and tend to choose something else to overeat instead of adding more leafy vegetables, like those diets suggest.

Never heard of people blaming it for chronic disease. My parents are healthy as can be and have probably eaten a bowl of rice at least twice a day for their entire life.
There is a lot of research recently that is showing that lower carb diets help a lot with epilepsy, type 2 diabetes, etc.

Bionic

I love carbs I definitely love carbs, no one can say that I do not love carbs.🎶

Bionic and I'm super into complex carbohydrates! 🎶

Pasta's the toughest carb for me to cut. I've switched to just having whole wheat pasta and smaller portions of it, and it seems to be working pretty well. But yeah, demonizing any huge category of food is going to cut out a lot of good stuff as well as bad. Switch some of the bad versions of food for better, more healthful versions of that food and things will be okay.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Probably cause a lot of people eat way too many carbs and gain weight as a result.

Weight loss is a function of calories in and calories out. You need to balance your other macronutrients for overall health but that's a far less important in terms of weight loss itself. If you eat exactly 1,500 calories of McDonalds everyday, you're going to lose more weight than someone who eats 2,000 calories of lean chicken breasts.

People don't follow fad diets because they have some clue about overall health. They do it because a) there's a culture behind it ready-made to join and b) because they like the idea of some kind of hack that lets them eat more of some particular food they like. The latter is ironic because all successful diets require you to consume less calories than you burn, people just don't like that because the term "portion control" makes people upset and angry.

Teletraan1

Banned
"Sugar carbs"—fructose, sucrose, maltose, lactose etc... span a wide range of foods and should not be treated equally.

I am not really treating them equally. You can use common sense to determine what is actually not so healthy for you. I am not going to complain about small amounts of fructose/sucrose that exist naturally in a bean vs drinking a coke that has it added for sweetening purposes. I guess I should have expanded on that since I was posting on the internet.

shaneo632

I suppose a lot of the time I find carbs boring. Like, if I'm getting full I'll always ditch the carbs first while working on the veg/meat.

Top Bottom