• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V: PSN Digital Version Impressions - Check-In Thread

dubq

I just tried to wade my way through the OT and the DF Comparison threads to find out if there was any new information on how the PSN digital version of GTAV performs.. (textures, framerates, dat pop-in, etc) ..but there's just way too much information through sift through. Let's use this thread as a check-in for your impressions on the performance of the PSN version. It may also help to indicate what kind of PS3 you're running, as well as your HDD type (stock 5400, replaced 7200 or SSD).

My download is installed and waiting for me at home - but I haven't had a chance to play it yet. This may be a moot point for me, but I figure there may be others out there looking for this kind of information when trying to decide if they want to go digital on PSN.

-griffy-

Banned
I experienced pop in like seen in the 360 disc vs. install video, most notably the beach shot where the beach texture and background objects pop in delayed. Also on the first Franklin driving mission, all the gas pumps at a gas station popped in about 5 feet away from my car.

EDIT: I should also add I have the normal HDD in my PS3, not an SSD or upgraded drive. Just the standard 80GB without backwards compatibility fatty.

I let mine download overnight, tried it for about 20 minutes this morning.

Initial load is pretty long but after that I didn't notice any pop in or graphical glitches. Played great, ran pretty smooth. Nothing out of the ordinary for me, but I didn't get to play long enough to cruise around the city

ironcreed

Banned
All good here. Some random pop in here and there, but it is not frequent. Looks and runs just as well as the PS3 footage you see floating around out there.

From what I read there is more jitteriness in the PSN version, because the game is coded to stream information from both the disc and the HDD installed. The PSN version use the HDD's access for both, instead of a single access. Maybe a SSD fixes that.

dubq

I experienced pop in like seen in the 360 disc vs. install video, most notably the beach shot where the beach texture and background objects pop in delayed. Also on the first Franklin driving mission, all the gas pumps at a gas station popped in about 5 feet away from my car.

do not want :(

Played for an hour or so. Didn't notice any pop in so far and it's runs pretty damn well IMO

Running on 40 gig phat (WD Scorpio black 320 gig 7200)

DLed with no issues from US PSN.

Played for a couple hours. Just finished the
Friend Request
mission. Laughed out loud for a good min like a crazy person.

Game is really good looking at times. And runs so much smoother than GTA4 even with more going on

Been playing for about 6 hours and only noticed pop in once and it was major road texture missing, but apart from that the game looks and runs great for me.

KalBalboa

Banned
I have this waiting at home for me after classes get out on a 500gb Super Slim.

Any super slim owners running the PSN version?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
No pop in for me (US PSN), but I did do the Restore Files and Rebuild Database options on my HDD before installing.

jsnepo

This is somewhat related to the topic but you guys think the same applies with Red Dead Redemption? I've got the PSN version installed and the pop ins and the lack of AF is terrible.

ironcreed

Banned

Yep, I have the 500GB white model. Outside of some random and infrequent pop-in, it looks and runs fine. Just like what you see in all of the PS3 footage out there.

dubq

I'm running a "regular" slim PS3 with a Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid SSD (750gb) installed. I also did the restore file system and rebuild database processes before starting my download before bed last night. Crossing my fingers.

How big is it?

My download was 18GB.

softie

I'm downloading mine from US PSN right now. My system is a Super Slim PS3 with a built in SSD. Crucial CT256M4SSD2 256GB.
Impressions will follow. :)

Ploid 3.0

I played from 4am to about 5:30am, it was great, I didn't notice anything popping in while speeding around. I may need to get in a aircraft to check it out.

Fat 80gig software bc PS3. I have a fat 60gig hardware bc ps3 but it's not connected and dat low space.

US

Downloaded, installed and now playing without a hitch. Runs great. Menus feel snappy. Game looks fantastic. No real framerate issues that Ive noticed at all.

Downloaded and installed with no issues. Played about 5 hours this morning, only pop in was during the opening title. Game looks and plays great, I am beyond impressed.

-griffy-

Banned
Continue to notice some pretty severe pop in while driving. More gas pumps appearing out of nowhere. After a quick chase through streets at night and coming to a sudden stop, the camera swings around and the detail on an entire nearby building popped in. Curious to know what's "normal" pop in for this game and what, if any, is due to the full install. Some in here didn't notice anything in the opening title cutscene so I wonder if it's kind of a random problem that pops up occasionally.

llamarawk

Had some texture loading delays and delayed object loading too that was after 4 hours of play with no issues though and only in a new area I hadnt explored yet

golem

Noticing some pop in every now and then, but it is rather infrequent. Nothing major such as nearby objects or buildings so far. This is on a stock 60gb phat.

Respawn

Banned
Continue to notice some pretty severe pop in while driving. More gas pumps appearing out of nowhere. After a quick chase through streets at night and coming to a sudden stop, the camera swings around and the detail on an entire nearby building popped in. Curious to know what's "normal" pop in for this game and what, if any, is due to the full install. Some in here didn't notice anything in the opening title cutscene so I wonder if it's kind of a random problem that pops up occasionally.

What model PS3 and HDD?

SeanNoonan

Me. Running pretty good so far. That said it looks as though there's a lot more pop in than I witnessed on the 360 disc versions I was watching on the streams over the weekend. Frame rate is decent though.

I'm having a hard time with the PS3 controller, kinda wished I went 360. You can swap the triggers for the shoulders in the options screen, but it means you have to live with weapon swap on the triggers :

Regret not going 360, but digital PS3 seems fine so far.

Edit: probably not version specific but I've spotted a couple of cars driving without drivers. Probably not a bug, but the ghost of CJ!

smr00

Banned
Fews hours in and it's absolutely nothing like the complaints from last night. Barely have noticed any texture pop-in and looks nothing like the 360 disc install video were saying.

Running on a new 250gb super slim.

SSReborn

My copy was fine when I downloaded it didn't experience no pop in problems or stuff like the 360 video. I have PS3 phat and I believe the harddrive was originally 80gb.

vilmer_

EDIT: I should also add I have the normal HDD in my PS3, not an SSD or upgraded drive. Just the standard 80GB without backwards compatibility fatty.

I had white roads right in front of me on that first driving mission, it was really bad. It seems to have sorted itself out as I've played longer but the pop-in is still noticeable with certain objects. I'm on an old 20GB phat with an after market HDD. Going to grab a disc version to compare.

Birathen

Downloaded it yesterday. Have had some pop ins. Biggest one was during one of the early missions where I turned a corner and the entire block loaded piece by piece as I drove through :3 Og 120 gb harddrive I think.

fatius

Really hoping someone with both disk and PSN weighs in. I've got a disk here on my desk at work, won't open if the PSN version works (which I pre-ordered and couldn't return, d'oh).

ZangBa

Downloaded the game on PSN last night and played a little bit today before I have to pack up all my things, and there is most definitely serious issues with textures loading and pop-in. Even average cars at full speed it becomes very noticeable. Drive any decent car on the highway and just go straight at full speed and watch in horror as the game struggles to load anything. I've seen a whole bridge vanish and reappear with no texture in front of me, things like doors and lights just not loading at all as I drive by, it was pretty bad.

I hope Rockstar fixes this by the time I am able to play again or I might just have to get a refund and buy the disc.

I have a PS3 Slim with the stock HDD.

CozMick

Banned
The only pop in Ive seen from almost 8hrs is from the trashcans and such on the sidewalks.

No texture streaming issues and certainly no "360 install pop up" problems.

250gb slim w/ stock hdd and UK psn version.

Mikey Jr.

40gb (with upgraded standard HDD 5400rpm) phat PS3.

Absolutely no problems with pop-in. I was hesitant like you. But I honest to God had no pop-in like that vid, and I was SPECIFICALLY looking for it. Like, I knew what to look for, and nope. Everything worked fine. When the scenes change, everything was where it was supposed to be.

If you REALLY want me to take a video with my phone, I can do that. But honestly dude. I had no problem.

AkuMifune

Banned
Was faster downloading and installing than I thought, and aside from one garbage can that materialized out of nowhere I've had no issues.

Game is so godly. I'm in love.

dubq

40gb (with upgraded standard HDD 5400rpm) phat PS3.

Absolutely no problems with pop-in. I was hesitant like you. But I honest to God had no pop-in like that vid, and I was SPECIFICALLY looking for it. Like, I knew what to look for, and nope. Everything worked fine. When the scenes change, everything was where it was supposed to be.

If you REALLY want me to take a video with my phone, I can do that. But honestly dude. I had no problem.
Thanks for the reassuring words man.. On my way home to check mine now!! ;-)

TraBuch

Banned
I had some really severe pop in driving near the boardwalk. Entire buildings just appearing out of nowhere. Weirdly, that's the only bot of pop in I've seen.

Afrodium

Banned
I've got a 250gb Super Slim and haven't noticed anything besides the beach shot in the intro. I did get some serious pop-in when attempting to fail a mission. I was supposed to be following an NPC and instead went in the opposite direction. Entire buildings were popping in, but I think this is due to the fact that the game didn't expect me to be exploring the area during the mission.

Hellcrow

Most pop-ins I experience is when I get close to safe houses. Have experienced twice a car I parked being launched when the fence suddenly pops in.

No Love

Banned
Has anyone installed the digital version on an SSD? I want to know if upgrading my PS3 to an SSD is worth it. I can just grab a 120GB real quick and then get the PSN version of GTA V. If it makes a difference, I'd like to try it out.

dubq

So far so good on mine. Intro has been flawless - not sure if its my HDD or just luck but I will take either. ;)

Top Bottom