• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBW Rumor: The Next Xbox Has A Wii U Like Tablet Controller With HD Screen, Buttons

rouken

oh sorry, didn't see that on my search.

of all the three companies, ms really interests me on what are their next gen console plans. we know ps4 will be graphical beast because its sony, then wii u will be underpowered but will manage to make enough innovations for it to be a worthy successor to the wii. but the 720 is in between. fused with kinect? dd? bluray? tablet? >_<

of all the three companies, ms really interests me on what are their next gen console plans. we know ps4 will be graphical beast because its sony, then wii u will be underpowered but will manage to make enough innovations for it to be a worthy successor to the wii. but the 720 is in between. fused with kinect? dd? bluray? tablet? >_<

Saying Sony will go full on crazy powerhouse is way to early to say right now. There's simply no need for Sony to do anything stupid like that again. If anything it would be smarter for them to stay within very close distance of what MS is doing to lower costs and stay port friendly.

Plus the Wii has proved that it is not the visuals but the interaction method that is important, which undoubtedly will affect how MS and Sony will play their next gen hand in 2013.

smurfx

get some go again
man i hope none of this is true. if all consoles come with kinect and this tablet control then a big percentage of the consoles budget will go to that leaving us with a really underpowered system.

man i hope none of this is true. if all consoles come with kinect and this tablet control then a big percentage of the consoles budget will go to that leaving us with a really underpowered system.

I don't think we really should fear that. Epic is building UE4 specifically for the next set of consoles, and if that can deliver Samaritan and beyond visuals, I would personally be pretty satisfied.

And less insane hardware would also result in cheaper consoles, less heat, smaller unit and generally good things.

Anyone else think Microsoft might release two SKUs next gen? One might be for streaming/DD like Apple TV/Roku and be released pretty cheap. The other one would include all the bells and whistles.
I've explained this in another thread, but releasing an SKU without an optical drive doesn't make any sense - console DD sales are not enough to sustain any loss-leading hardware, and an optical drive is one of the cheapest components in the box. I believe Kotaku posted such a rumor before, it still doesn't have any validity.

rouken

Saying Sony will go full on crazy powerhouse is way to early to say right now. There's simply no need for Sony to do anything stupid like that again. If anything it would be smarter for them to stay within very close distance of what MS is doing to lower costs and stay port friendly.

Plus the Wii has proved that it is not the visuals but the interaction method that is important, which undoubtedly will affect how MS and Sony will play their next gen hand in 2013.

well i guess they learned their lesson because they put every imaginable features on ps vita but at the same time made it a graphical beast for a handheld. i imagine it would be same for ps4, maybe built in move controller and vita tablet control functionality like what they're hinting at

smurfx

get some go again
I don't think we really should fear that. Epic is building UE4 specifically for the next set of consoles, and if that can deliver Samaritan and beyond visuals, I would personally be pretty satisfied.

And less insane hardware would also result in cheaper consoles, less heat, smaller unit and generally good things.
isn't microsoft developing a new kinect though? the new kinect plus this control will cost a bit in the beginning which will eat away at what microsoft is going to spend on the hardware. i think the days of companies taking big losses on hardware are long gone so whatever microsoft can afford after kinect/tablet is what we will get.

I've not been in this thread since the moment after it was posted.

Are people actually believing this rumor might be true? I don't buy it for a second.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I've explained this in another thread, but releasing an SKU without an optical drive doesn't make any sense - console DD sales are not enough to sustain any loss-leading hardware, and an optical drive is one of the cheapest components in the box. I believe Kotaku posted such a rumor before, it still doesn't have any validity.

What I'm saying is a Roku/Apple TV like device that streams movies and you can download games to. The specs would be lower than disc based Durango games. It would be a $99 device.

isn't microsoft developing a new kinect though? the new kinect plus this control will cost a bit in the beginning which will eat away at what microsoft is going to spend on the hardware. i think the days of companies taking big losses on hardware are long gone so whatever microsoft can afford after kinect/tablet is what we will get.
Why is it a given that Kinect will ship with the next hw? When MS could easily sell it separately for $100?

MYE

haha the bitching is strong in here :p

HELL YEAH i say, give me fancy new controllers. I'm tired of looking at the fucking Dual shock pad

This new gen of consoles is gonna ROCK!!!

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I think the Kinect is a little shonky, but a more finely tuned version that can do things like detect finger movement would be nice. It's also substantially different to anything Sony or Nintendo are offering.

Since I was responding to the "Microsoft just copies" comment.

PS Eye Toy is like Kinect's predecessor.

What I'm saying is a Roku/Apple TV like device that streams movies and you can download games to. The specs would be lower than disc based Durango games. It would be a $99 device.
1) MS isn't giving anyone a next gen machine for $99. They couldn't afford to even with Nintendo's projected specs.

2) if it was based on 360 hw, lol again at it being $99 with a 250 GB HDD considering the arcade will be no less than $149 this year.

3) again assuming it was based on 360 hw, ripping out the optical drive saves you what, $20? All that savings and people who buy it can't even buy most Kinect games day and date with the retail versions (because the console DD market is so out of whack)

There is no market for such a thing.

I've not been in this thread since the moment after it was posted.

Are people actually believing this rumor might be true? I don't buy it for a second.

Microsoft would be idiots if doing it. It would split input methods across three different devices, which is a insane amount.

They have the Kinect and the normal controller, which will be more then enough.

KevinCow

Banned
Raging is natural for me better to let go then to keep it all inside.
And im also clumsy so controller will at least fall a couple of times from my hands.
You think a controller with a screen can survive that multiple times.

Fuckin Sony.

I died in Uncharted and threw my Vita against a wall.

Now it's broken and I have to buy a new one, and it's all Sony's fault.

MYE

wii-u.jpg

Wii-U.jpg

Embrace the sweet, sweet future of gaming, naysayers

The kid in me is crawling up a wall to play with this thing :)
I'd probably shit my pants and pass out if someone showed me this pic in the 90s and told me this would be a regular console controller in the future.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
1) MS isn't giving anyone a next gen machine for $99. They couldn't afford to even with Nintendo's projected specs.

2) if it was based on 360 hw, lol again at it being $99 with a 250 GB HDD considering the arcade will be no less than $149 this year.

3) again assuming it was based on 360 hw, ripping out the optical drive saves you what, $20? All that savings and people who buy it can't even buy most Kinect games day and date with the retail versions (because the console DD market is so out of whack)

1.) There were rumors of Durango having a coax connector and replacing the cable box in addition to games, movies, etc. Don't know what happened with this rumor - I haven't been keeping track - but if this is a strategy, I could see them releasing a small, streaming only box. This backs up the DD only rumors from about a month ago. Apple is doing it, Roku is doing it. It can be done. You say with such certainty that it isn't, but it is possible. I'm not saying the games will be on par with retail Durango games. I'm talking about specific specs just for these games.

2.) It could come with 8 - 16GB of internal flash memory with the ability to expand it. I do see what you're saying about 360 being the same price around that time, but I'm talking about a small device to go directly against Apple/Roku. Microsoft wants to be in every room of the house. Durango would be for the main living room tv, these would be for the bedrooms.

3.) It probably couldn't be based on 360 hardware for a number of reasons. Again, this would be a device to go after a different segment than Durango. You say there isn't a market, but there are a lot of people buying these devices now. It's an undertapped market that Apple and Roku said they were going after. I really think you're wrong on this.

1.) There were rumors of Durango having a coax connector and replacing the cable box in addition to games, movies, etc. Don't know what happened with this rumor - I haven't been keeping track - but if this is a strategy, I could see them releasing a small, streaming only box. This backs up the DD only rumors from about a month ago. Apple is doing it, Roku is doing it. It can be done. You say with such certainty that it isn't, but it is possible. I'm not saying the games will be on par with retail Durango games. I'm talking about specific specs just for these games.

2.) It could come with 8 - 16GB of internal flash memory with the ability to expand it. I do see what you're saying about 360 being the same price around that time, but I'm talking about a small device to go directly against Apple/Roku. Microsoft wants to be in every room of the house. Durango would be for the main living room tv, these would be for the bedrooms.

3.) It probably couldn't be based on 360 hardware for a number of reasons. Again, this would be a device to go after a different segment than Durango. You say there isn't a market, but there are a lot of people buying these devices now. It's an undertapped market that Apple and Roku said they were going after. I really think you're wrong on this.
Many, many XBLA games would not run without massive retooling on sub-360 PC/mobile hw. Alan Wake? Dead Rising? Nexhuiz (or however you spell it)? Portal? BF 1943 is the best selling game on the service and it wouldn't run acceptably on sub-360 hw.

Such hw would be so far removed from whatever MS' next gen hardware actually is (according to some rumors, Cryengine 2 and UE4 are already running on it), it wouldn't even make sense to discuss it on the gaming side. You could not conceivably sell "Durango" for less than $299 even in 2013.

Petrichor

Like the PS2 rite.

Dabanton

Raging is natural for me better to let go then to keep it all inside.
And im also clumsy so controller will at least fall a couple of times from my hands.
You think a controller with a screen can survive that multiple times.

So you throw your controller if you lose? Or do you just drop it?

Called it. Anyone looking for a dedicated hardcore gaming machine from Microsoft next gen is going to be in for a massive surprise. This is only the beginning of the Kinect one stop living room family entertainment hub that Microsoft has always planned to have. Gamers were their mules to get in this position and when the time is right you will be dropped.

z0m3le

Banned

It could in fact be a 360, retooled for live arcade with a 250gb hard drive, they sell the xbox s for 199 right now, but the CPU/GPU is still on a 45nm process, and they make money on every console sold.

"The Xbox 360 may be getting a price cut in the future, since Microsoft has slashed production costs by up to 40%. This was done by opening a new production plant in Brazil, which would make it the second country the 360 is produced in. China is the current manufacturing location of the 360."

$99 would fit just perfectly there, and if it was for digital game downloads and especially tooled for XBLA, I think they could very likely push it forward.

It would probably be much closer to $10, but out of a console that probably costs them under $100 to make since their move to Brazil, I think it would strengthen their online purchases, and if it worked with the rumored tablet controller, it would allow iOS popular games to be brought over to XBLA and sold there too.

There is a market for a gaming console that is also a media hub, especially at $99.

So you throw your controller if you lose? Or do you just drop it?

Not once but after a losing streak and nothing succeeds then yeah i just throw the controller or mic in a corner. And sometimes i just drop shit because im clumsy. I know it childish to rage on a controller but then again we all have our odd behaviour. this gen alone i ate through 5 controller on 360.

So yeah a controller with a screen costing much is like a nightmare for me.

Wii-U.jpg

I'd probably shit my pants and pass out if someone showed me this pic in the 90s and told me this would be a regular console controller in the future.

What is this??

rouken

Called it. Anyone looking for a dedicated hardcore gaming machine from Microsoft next gen is going to be in for a massive surprise. This is only the beginning of the Kinect one stop living room family entertainment hub that Microsoft has always planned to have. Gamers were their mules to get in this position and when the time is right you will be dropped.

wow, didn't they just thought about it after seeing the success of the wii. i'm pretty sure they were trying to beat sony by having the powerful and online capable console at the start of the gen.

Not really, no.

Didnt stop me from buying one over a GC or Xbox, though.

is the xbox more powerful than ps2? i always thought they couldn't do god of war 2 in other consoles at that time

Majanew

Banned
wii-u.jpg

Wii-U.jpg

*Vomits*

That crap can die in a fire.

is the xbox more powerful than ps2? i always thought they couldn't do god of war 2 in other consoles at that time

A joke?

wii-u.jpg

Wii-U.jpg

I guess the kid in me has been brutally murdered and why I haven't owned anything Nintendo related since the Gamecube. To me this looks like an abomination.

Shion

No it wasn't.

At least not more powerful than the Cube/Xbox.

He didn't say it was more powerful that GC or XBOX, he just said that PS2 was a powerful console. Which, especially at the time of its release, it was. Games like Gran Turismo, God of War and Okami looked awesome despite the fact that GC & XBOX were more powerful.

z0m3le

Banned
*Vomits*

That crap can die in a fire.

To be fair, those are Wii assets, the console outputs much better graphics... (points to Zelda Demo and Bird Demo from e3 last year)

He is also possibly talking about asymmetric gaming, which is pretty exciting.

I don't know why anyone is surprised. Microsoft has never once hidden their agenda of having the living room and more connected to their "hub". This isn't exactly news, that is what the massive losses on the Xbox have been all about, its what the 360 has been about and what Kinect has been about. I just never thought they'd pull the trigger so soon, but this is systematic and the planning was brilliant. When the Kinect/Hub dominates all aspects next gen, just remember you are the problem that caused it to succeed.

I'm pushing 40 anyway. The writing was always on the wall for me to bail out, maybe my gaming time has passed. Maybe I'll buy a boat and take up fishing. I'm just waiting to see what Sony is doing....

Majanew

Banned
To be fair, those are Wii assets, the console outputs much better graphics... (points to Zelda Demo and Bird Demo from e3 last year)

He is also possibly talking about asymmetric gaming, which is pretty exciting.

I'm not talking about anything other than the tablet. It's the reason I will not buy a Wii U... same reason I never owned a Wii. No thanks. MS may release some touchscreen controller someday, but I wouldn't expect it for a long time, nor do I believe it would ever replace the Xbox's controller -- just like Kinect won't/can't.

If MS makes one and Microsoft's design is like that one fan mock-up where the screen can be place at the bottom or even the top of a 360-styled controller, then that would be much better.

I'm not talking about anything other than the tablet. It's the reason I will not buy a Wii U... same reason I never owned a Wii. No thanks. MS may release some touchscreen controller someday, but I wouldn't expect it for a long time, nor do I believe it would ever replace the Xbox's controller -- just like Kinect won't/can't.

If MS makes one and Microsoft's design is like that one fan mock-up where the screen can be place at the bottom or even the top of a 360-styled controller, then that would be much better.

You never bought a Wii because it has a tablet controller?

Top Bottom