• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone ever tried Minoxidil for beard growth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrus

Been reading up on it and it seems people have really great success with it. I have a beard that's on the weak side and have some patches where the hair isn't getting thick yet or just not growing fast enough. Wanted to try this stuff out and see if I can give it a jump start. I know there is side effects, but the one that worries me the most is your head hair falling out ( shedding I guess). Even though you apply it to your face, it effects your head hair as well. Just wanted to see if anyone has any experiences with trying this and how did it work out?

Here some pics and videos of people with success:

676a9e5b76fa44f6963b91e36eac1f5f.jpg

Check out this dude. Here's him when he starts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0vaT2xkPBU

Here's him a year later:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiIACxuw-Pg

Dayum!!

My small update 8-7-2017:

Lol I forgot about this thread. So here's an update: I used it for about 3 weeks before stopping. Basically I just got lazy. This stuff is kind of a hassle to put on everyday and is super greasy. But in that time i did use it, I noticed these white, long hairs that popped out of nowhere. Maybe about two weeks after the first application. Those white hairs eventually got long and somewhat thick, basically terminal. It wasn't alot of hair, but definitely some new ones I've never seen before.
I used .5ML twice a day. As far as side effects go, a bit of a burning sensation for like 20 minutes or so, and it definitely dried out my skin and made it look all ashy, even with lotion. As far as the serious stuff goes, in the beginning I though my chest got a bit tight and my arm started to hurt, but I'm not sure if it was all in my head. Nothing too crazy to make me go to the hospital or anything like that, just not sure if it was my mind playing tricks on me after being a bit nervous using this stuff. I truly believe this stuff works for beard growth. Once summer and this heat is over, I'm gonna jump back on it and see if it can continue thickening and filling in my beard.

djkimothy

I can't think of minoxidil without thinking of that episode on the simpsons...

Besides, isn't that just normal hair growth? I've seen hockey beards more epic after 2 months... What was that guys baseline after 6 months?

What would the person in the OP pics look like of six months without shaving without using this stuff? 'Cause that is some really weak growth and is pretty unconvincing.

Honestly that beard is horribly thin for that long of a growth period. I don't have a full beard at all but I'd look like a raving hobo with 6 months of no shaving anywhere.

If that's what you get for six months of taking a drug outside of it's intended use then I'd say it's a waste of money and time.

You're fooling yourself if you think this will work, OP.

Wait I thought this stuff is suppose to make hair grow, why is OP worried about it falling out? Is that an initial side effect?

Fury451

Banned
I thought minoxidil was only effective in the crown.

yes.

That's the only thing it's officially approved to be effective for, some people have success using it at their hairline or other areas as well, but it's not guaranteed and seems to be even less consistent than it already can be, and so it can't be packaged as such.

Rather serious, maybe a beard transplant? It's probably expensive but I am sure they are much easier than head hair transplants.

Hydrus

Wait I thought this stuff is suppose to make hair grow, why is OP worried about it falling out? Is that an initial side effect?

If you start using Minoxidil for hair loss, you have to use it for life. Minoxidil causes shedding when you first start using it.

Rather serious, maybe a beard transplant? It's probably expensive but I am sure they are much easier than head hair transplants.

Lol I'm not that desperate. I just wanted to jump start the weaker hairs and slow growing hairs. See if it can fill in the empty patches I have.

How old is the guy in the videos? One's ability to develop a beard changes with age, almost always for the better. Even if you can't grow a beard in your 20's you could wind up with something decent, say, by the time you're 35.

Also what he has in the end of the last video barely counts as a beard. He looks more like a college student that decided to do no-shave November.

Hydrus

What would the person in the OP pics look like of six months without shaving without using this stuff? 'Cause that is some really weak growth and is pretty unconvincing.

The guy has almost Zero hair follicles on his cheeks when he starts. Dude has tons of hair after using it, even if it is weak hair.

Creepy

I can only dream of that 3 month, let alone the 6.

I cant grow facial hair at all... I need to try something like this.

aBarreras

The guy has almost Zero hair follicles on his cheeks when he starts. Dude has tons of hair after using it, even if it is weak hair.

people here doesnt seem to get that just because they can grow a beard easily others can.

that would be me if i hadnt shave for a day, boo hoo. not everybody can grow a bear!

i know i cant, i have missing patches, and it sucks

Just live as I do; accept you'll never grow a beard, and wait for this whole beard trend to die out... any day now...

*strokes baby smooth chin in anticipation*

DiscoJer

I thought minoxidil was only effective in the crown.

I used to use it and I would sometimes get hair growing out of my forehead from where it would drip down.

It does seem to grow hair, but it's kind of spotty at best. It worked to fill in blank spots on my head but eventually there was just too much for it to fill in and it looked worse

ZOONAMI

My beard is thicker and longer than this dudes in a month and half than his is in a year.

It's the top of my head that's starting to be a problem.

ZOONAMI

Just live as I do; accept you'll never grow a beard, and wait for this whole beard trend to die out... any day now...

*strokes baby smooth chin in anticipation*

I don't think it's dying man. Shaving all the time sucks. Awesome to just be able to shave your neck every other day or so and just trim every now and then and not have people thinking you're homeless or something.

Hydrus

I think some of you guys are mistaking that pic in the op with what I'm trying to say. The dude had no hair follicles on his face prior to starting it. The minoxidil helped wake them up. Here's another after picture of the dude. If he stopped shaving for a year, he'd have a bush.

and here's the forum where it got posted.

http://jefffsbeardboard.yuku.com/to...Experiences-from-readers?page=18#.WPlFPWe1s5s

It's not worth it, dude. It costs a lot and has some weird side effects. At least it's just a beard.

It's $25 for a 6 month supply. Once your hair start growing, you stop and don't need it again.

people here doesnt seem to get that just because they can grow a beard easily others can.

that would be me if i hadnt shave for a day, boo hoo. not everybody can grow a bear!

I think everyone understands that some people can't grow a beard. That doesn't change the fact that the pics in the OP are super unconvincing. Based on them, I'd say, don't waste your money.

Artanisix

I think some of you guys are mistaking that pic in the op with what I'm trying to say. The dude had no hair follicles on his face prior to starting it. The minoxidil helped wake them up. Here's another after picture of the dude. If he stopped shaving for a year, he'd have a bush.

and here's the forum where it got posted.

http://jefffsbeardboard.yuku.com/to...Experiences-from-readers?page=18#.WPlFPWe1s5s

It's $25 for a 6 month supply. Once your hair start growing, you stop and don't need it again.

the same thread u got this from has multiple people saying they have serious health complications after applying this to their face

do you want to die op cuz this sounds like a bad idea

I'm currently on my minoxidil beard journey right now. I'm actually getting sick of it and not applying twice daily like I was, mostly because I'm tired of it drying out my face.

It works but you have to be consistent.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Does anyone have a before/after picture of someone actually going from no beard to beard, as opposed to from no beard to scruff?

Edit: Also someone who didn't go from being 23 to 24 or whatever

I just started this last week, actually. I spent a lot more on supplements and skin conditioners/moisturizer than I did on the minoxidil.

From what I've found, you should expect to go for at least 6 months, with some I've seen go for 1 year +. A lot actually depends on your genetics and follicle pattern.

I think a lot of you are confusing this man's beard gains (as in additional follicles growing new hair, the intent of using minoxidil) with the length of his growth. He has trimmed his beard several times within the timeframe these pictures were taken, certainly.

This is only true for hairs that are transitional/terminal. Vellus hairs may fall out and not continue to grow when you stop.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

My guess is that he can't grow any beard at all prior to that.

Does anyone have a before/after picture of someone actually going from no beard to beard, as opposed to from no beard to scruff?

Edit: Also someone who didn't go from being 23 to 24 or whatever

Mine just doesn't grow (I certainly could get nowhere near the dude in OP, and that's barely anything) and I'm 34. I guess I could try and find out and report back. I don't think I've ever thought of trying to grow one, but I suppose I could try for science.

Rayis

The hormone that causes beard growth is also the one responsible for head hair loss so fuck that.

I know minoxidil doesn't affect hormones but just wanted to curse DHT for being awful.

To be fair, being able to grow a bear would be pretty noteworthy.

CFMOORE!

we don't have the counterfactual, the forum suggests he was 24 when he started taking it, and it's definitely not unusual for someone to begin growing a beard at 24-25.

maybe i will run the experiment. 35 here and can't grow shit. might be fun. only if there's little health risk to slathering it on my cheeks.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
(the health risks include clotting problems, chest tightness, blood pressure issues, etc.)

I'm vaguely interested in trying this just for science reasons now (and I don't really care about side-effects, its an OTC drug). I don't even really care about having a beard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom