• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crimson Alliance Announced [Certain Affinity, XBLA Action RPG, Screenshots]

Popeck

Crimson Alliance will be officially unveiled tonight at the Rooster Teeth fan event, according to Certain Affinity.

miladesn said:
http://www.facebook.com/CrimsonAlliance?sk=info
Crimson Alliance is the new action RPG from Certain Affinity! It takes everything we've learned about high action from working on shooters like Halo and Call of Duty, and everything we love about the fantasy genre, but gets rid of all that tedious backpack rummaging, and boring dialog!
miladesn said:
02_wrecked_city.jpg

03_queen.jpg

06_party.jpg
257642_228481743835138enxq.jpg

Popeck

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Nice! Fingers crossed it has anything to do with Crimson Skies. Although it probably doesn't, since then it would be called Crimson Skies: Alliance.
Yeah, I've been think that too. At least I think it's safe to assume that it's going to be a downloadable title. You can always expect great things from these guys, they do quality content.

Thanks for the mods for making this a new thread. Should've done it myself.

EDIT: Actually, the news was posted yesterday, so was the unveiling already on Friday? Anyways, we'll be seeing more on E3.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Nice! Fingers crossed it has anything to do with Crimson Skies. Although it probably doesn't, since then it would be called Crimson Skies: Alliance.

The official website makes it seem that it has nothing to do with it.

So we'll see

Raide

Lead Based Paint said:
The official website makes it seem that it has nothing to do with it.

So we'll see

Hack N Slash game maybe? Loot collecting maybe? Dunno! We will find out!

I thought it was a pretty interesting coincidence that Certain Affinity and Bungie, who've often worked together in the past, both trademarked something to do with "Crimson". If Bungie had still been with Microsoft, it'd definitely have meant something, but alas.

Spitz

Hmm with those guys from Origin they had a lot of knowledge that would be needed to do a sequel to Crimson Skies. :(

Raide

Crimson Alliance is the new action RPG from Certain Affinity! It takes everything we've learned about high action from working on shooters like Halo and Call of Duty, and everything we love about the fantasy genre, but gets rid of all that tedious backpack rummaging, and boring dialog!

So, no backpack rummaging? Does that mean no loot or inventory stuff?

Dudebro action rpg?

In before hundreds of people claim it's "not an RPG".

TheOddOne said:
Because downloadable games are not real games, duh! *derp*

I'd like to see a game like that with a bigger budget. But then again, we don't know anything yet, so xbla could be perfect. Isn't this 360 exclusive?

TheOddOne

brotkasten said:
Because downloadable games are not real games, duh! *derp*

I'd like to see a game like that with a bigger budget. But then again, we don't know anything yet, so xbla could be perfect. Isn't this 360 exclusive?
Dunno, Microsoft seems to be the publisher if we go by the tradelisting.

The game is already classified by our regulation board (Brazil). It is an action RPG for XBLA. XBLA is certain due to classification.

bengraven said:
Do not want.
I'd would just like some truly action-based ARPGs being made for consoles instead of being limited to nothing but Diablo descendants that specialize in gear gathering and skill tree maneuvering. More action and tactics, less inventory and stat/build management.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
bengraven said:
Do not want.
So you have no predisposition for, say, Zelda? Alundra? Beyond Oasis?

It's actually pretty concerning how few western devs have attempted the genre relying mostly on the progression of the main game to goad people on, rather than throwing a bunch of loot treadmills in their way to kind of misdirect their attention. I'm quite interested to see one that eschews the overbearing emphasis on shiny trinkets.

Pooya

Kafel said:
so when is the event (what is it exactly btw?) and how can we see any footage of it?
actually it was last night, it's over.

facebook said:
Thanks to all our fantastic friends at Rooster Teeth for the warm welcome tonight! We love you all, and felt honored to get to show a first look at our game to such a vibrant community!

Patryn

MightyHedgehog said:
I'd would just like some truly action-based ARPGs being made for consoles instead of being limited to nothing but Diablo descendants that specialize in gear gathering and skill tree maneuvering. More action and tactics, less inventory and stat/build management.

Isn't what you're describing just an action game?

Patryn said:
Isn't what you're describing just an action game?
No, because stats and the dice rolling can still be a fundamental part of the game's method of resolving the actions of the player. They just don't have to dominate the path to success like it does with loot games.

Kafel

Banned
miladesn said:
actually it was last night, it's over.

thanks

where are the pics and videos? noone attended this?

edit : just visited the website, it's coming during the Summer so really soon and maybe for Summer of Arcade

Tobor

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
I always thought it was combat combined with character development.
Character development is fun for the same reason loot management is. Combat is just the way to get more loot and levels.

Tobor said:
Combat is just the way to get more loot and levels.
And this, to me, explains why combat becomes boring as hell very quickly in most loot games. I want more focus on intelligent enemies with logic and patterns to exploit in battle scenarios rather than it just being a clash of numbers. Halo/F.E.A.R.-quality of AI + Mount & Blade + Zelda inside of a coop-friendly framework would be nice some time in the future.

Tobor

MightyHedgehog said:
And this, to me, explains why combat becomes boring as hell very quickly in most loot games. I want more focus on intelligent enemies with logic and patterns to exploit in battle scenarios rather than it just being a clash of numbers. Halo/F.E.A.R.-quality of AI + Mount & Blade + Zelda inside of a coop-friendly framework would be nice some time in the future.
Thats fine, there's room for God of War and Devil May Cry in the marketplace, I'm just not interested. I like my action RPGs full of loot.

Tobor said:
Character development is fun for the same reason loot management is. Combat is just the way to get more loot and levels.

Don't get me wrong, I like an occasional loot-heavy game as well, but it's by no means a prerequisite for a good ARPG.

bengraven

Shig said:
So you have no predisposition for, say, Zelda? Alundra? Beyond Oasis?

It's actually pretty concerning how few western devs have attempted the genre relying mostly on the progression of the main game to goad people on, rather than throwing a bunch of loot treadmills in their way to kind of misdirect their attention. I'm quite interested to see one that eschews the overbearing emphasis on shiny trinkets.

Sure, those games were great. Some of my favorites of the 16 bit era.

But if BO was made these days I would want glittering, 4 socketed, blue level-quality Chest Plate of Oblivions in it.

Top Bottom