• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo shows updated Zelda-timeline in Japanese Newsletter, puts left part on sale

Garou

To celebrate the coming Twilight Princess HD-remake, Nintendo offers rebates on every Zelda-game on the eShop. The recent newsletter shows how all the games are connected, including Triforce Heroes.

bfXhd77.jpg

Left side is the "Hero loses"-timeline, middle is "Hero wins - Child"-timeline, right is "Hero wins - Adult - Hyrule ceases to exist after a long time - hundreds of years later"-timeline.

*sees none of the CD-I games*
And you call yourself a reputable company, Nintendo
The official canon for those games is they died in a fire

I like how Link to the past takes place immediately before and after OOT. Ganon must have been feeling groundhog day on the hero loses timeline
They really should replace the GBA LTTP+4 Swords image with Four Swords Anniversary

Okay but where does Wand of Gamelon fit in?
Not before Soul Calibur II or Mario is Missing.

Madao

wait, in the earlier email, the 3DS games were right after ALttP and now they're after LA?

they are even retconing their own mail now.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I always found it amusing that the Adult Timeline is the most fucked up when it should be the least. I guess you could say the Hero Loses timeline isn't exactly nice, lots of turmoil and conflict, but at least the whole world didn't get flooded to shit.

Child timeline is the best though because MM is a default winner, and TP isn't too shabby either.

Also why isn't OoT updated using the 3DS case? Every other game is presented with it's most recent iteration.

phileep

I kind of hate the timeline, but at the same time it's interesting to me that Adventure of Link is the furthest into the future of the series. Makes me wonder if all fancier technology of Zelda U places it after Zelda 2.

wait, in the earlier email, the 3DS games were right after ALttP and now they're after LA?

I mean the GB games are the same Link as ALttP while ALBW is many many years after that, so it wouldn't make sense for the GB games to come after the 3DS games.

jph139

From what I remember they've always been after LA. ALBW has a different Link than the ALTTP saga, a few generations down the line. And they mentioned that TFH stars that same Link, just a few months down the line, I believe (despite the artstyle difference).

I kind of hate the timeline, but at the same time it's interesting to me that Adventure of Link is the furthest into the future of the series. Makes me wonder if all fancier technology of Zelda U places it after Zelda 2.

Zelda U seems to have a very similar map to the original Zelda, so maybe it is a sequel to the originals.

I honestly don't know how this whole time line thing started. I personally gave it no thought what so ever and just viewed each title as a unique adventure by itself with familiar names and places, much like other games like the Final Fantasy series.

When did people start caring what Zelda titles followed which story wise? I think as you can see by the chart above that know of it makes any real sense and feels forced.

I guess it's not a massive issue if people feel the need to connect all games, but personally I'd just prefer the odd Zelda title to follow another one loosely, much like how Majora's Mask followed Ocarina of Time.

Madao

I always found it amusing that the Adult Timeline is the most fucked up when it should be the least. I guess you could say the Hero Loses timeline isn't exactly nice, lots of turmoil and conflict, but at least the whole world didn't get flooded to shit.

Child timeline is the best though because MM is a default winner, and TP isn't too shabby either.

before the official Hyrule Historia timeline was made, all signs pointed to the ALttP branch following right after FSA. if we pretended the cel-shading games didn't exist, the Zelda timeline would be just a straight line.

it shows how the series is centered on OoT that they made the whole thing revolve around it. basically, 4 lines converge at OoT as it is.

So, the 3DS version of Majora's Mask is the canon one, but the 3DS OoT isn't?
Ganondorf spill red blood in the real canon.

OOT3D is not 30% off

Okay but where does Wand of Gamelon fit in?
It also bears a striking resemblance to the OoT/TP map as well, though they are pretty similar to LoZ themselves. Could very well be a sequel to OoT and prequel to WW.
That game is too good to be left out here. Zelda CD-I is the true loser here lol.^_^

Fourth time line.

Madao

From what I remember they've always been after LA. ALBW has a different Link than the ALTTP saga, a few generations down the line. And they mentioned that TFH stars that same Link, just a few months down the line, I believe (despite the artstyle difference).

I mean the GB games are the same Link as ALttP while ALBW is many many years after that, so it wouldn't make sense for the GB games to come after the 3DS games.

now i remember that. i guess whoever made that email didn't do their Zelda homework.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Zelda U seems to have a very similar map to the original Zelda, so maybe it is a sequel to the originals.

It also bears a striking resemblance to the OoT/TP map as well, though they are pretty similar to LoZ themselves. Could very well be a sequel to OoT and prequel to WW.

Triforce heroes as canon seems silly but, hey, all this shit is made up anyhow so why not
Given the appearance of (kinda tricky to solve easter egg hidden message thing and impliacations of)
"it's dangerous to go alone" line it makes it seem like the old man is just saying a dated meme in Zelda 1 now and he has turned from the originator of it into an imitator

I hate the official Zelda timeline. It doesn't follow its own time travel rules. My timeline is better, but Aonuma ignores me. Answer the phone, you coward.

maxcriden

Triforce Heroes is canon.

Hahahaahaha.

Aonuna-san said this when the game released. You're playing as Link from LBW in the game...though...it does feel like a bit of a leap somehow...but I'm willing to go with it.

BTW this is a great idea for a sale.

Madao

Zelda 2 is the Tokyo Drift of Zeldas, one day they'll have to go past it eventually.

it's even worse. it's the second game that was made and is still the furthest one in the future. a series with over a dozen canon games and the second one is the one most into the future.

i'm bracing for Zelda U to be a Skyward Sword prequel. advanced tech seems to go backwards in time in this series.

NeonZ

I honestly don't know how this whole time line thing started. I personally gave it no thought what so ever and just viewed each title as a unique adventure by itself with familiar names and places, much like other games like the Final Fantasy series.

When did people start caring what Zelda titles followed which story wise? I think as you can see by the chart above that know of it makes any real sense and feels forced.

I guess it's not a massive issue if people feel the need to connect all games, but personally I'd just prefer the odd Zelda title to follow another one loosely, much like how Majora's Mask followed Ocarina of Time.

The Zelda games have always been referenced as connected storywise. Zelda 2 was a direct sequel to the first game, while a Link to the Past was stated to be a prequel to Zelda 1 in an interview and even game box. And then Ocarina of Time was said to be a prequel to a Link to the Past.

The main issue that resulted in the split timeline confusion was just Nintendo wanting various sequels to Ocarina of Time while ignoring the NES/SNES games with those. So we got the split timeline, although the first quotes about it indicated only two branches (around Wind Waker's release), but I guess going after OoT's nostalgia with Twilight Princess forced them to go with three branches for the overall timeline since they wanted yet another game directly following up Ocarina of Time and with Ganondorf, even though Ganondorf was supposed to remain sealed until aLttP in the timeline of the NES/SNES games.

BTails

I just hate the idea that the original games take place in an alternate universe where Link is straight up murdered by Ganondorf at the end of Ocarina. It's a ret-con slap in the face to the oldest fans of the series.

If it was a prequel to Wind Waker, I wonder if they'll retcon the backstory? Lore states that a hero didn't appear during that period, and that the gods had to step in to flood Hyrule. This either means the Link we see here is destined to fail, or his actions go unnoticed. I think originally, TP was announced as a prequel to Wind Waker, so it looks like they flirted with the idea before in the past.

It started when Nintendo made Zelda II: Adventure of Link which explicitly takes place after the first Zelda game.

Madao

The Zelda games have always been referenced as connected storywise. Zelda 2 was a direct sequel to the first game, while a Link to the Past was stated to be a prequel to Zelda 1 in an interview and even game box. And then Ocarina of Time was said to be a prequel to a Link to the Past.

The main issue that resulted in the split timeline confusion was just Nintendo wanting various sequels to Ocarina of Time. So we got the split timeline, although the first quotes about it indicated only two branches (around Wind Waker's release), but I guess going after OoT's nostalgia with Twilight Princess forced them to create a third branch since they wanted yet another game following up Ocarina of Time.

TP has nothing to do with the 3 timelines. it's after MM.
the one with the hero losing leads to ALttP. that one was sorta intended to come after FSA going by some of the stuff there but they retconned it because the TWW branch was too weak.

Top Bottom