• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony patent: Playstation..."Eyepad"?

Are they incapable of a single original idea?

Original like Nintendo, Microsoft, Apple etc?

output_zobtt0tjj8o.gif

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Trademarks and patents are different guys.

A patent is a mechanism or formula, its a material description. Trademarks are names that are used to associate with such devices for commercial purposes, and often completely abstract.

Obviously the overall design doesn't fit with the rest of the DS4 rumours, but this part 'illuminated region extends along some or all of one or more of the side edges' fits in with one of them.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
onQ123 covered the relevant images in his original post, but here are all of them:

BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE DRAWINGS

[0015] The above and other objects, features and advantages of the invention will be apparent from the following detailed description of illustrative embodiments which is to be read in connection with the accompanying drawings, in which:

[0016] FIG. 1 is a schematic diagram of an entertainment device;

[0017] FIG. 2 is a schematic diagram of an input device according to an embodiment of the present invention;

[0018] FIGS. 3A and 3B are schematic diagrams of an input device and camera fields of view according to an embodiment of the present invention;

[0019] FIG. 4 is a schematic diagram of an input device according to an embodiment of the present invention;

[0020] FIG. 5 is a schematic diagram of an input device according to an embodiment of the present invention; and

[0021] FIG. 6 is a flow chart showing methods of operation of an input device, an entertainment device, and a system comprising both.

PlayStation Meeting 2013 is sure gonna be exciting as we hopefully will know the actual form factor of the controller. Of all the presented controller ideas regarding Orbis this is one I find more interesting.

Rösti;47720811 said:
PlayStation Meeting 2013 is sure gonna be exciting as we hopefully will know the actual form factor of the controller. Of all the presented controller ideas regarding Orbis this is one I find more interesting.

The idea of detecting hands above a surface is an interesting one, one day it could be normal to have 3D interaction with tablets instead of just the surface. Theremin Hero will be amazing. ( Actually, why did nobody make Theremin Hero for Kinect? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izNeyItyjbs)

I think the 'Illuminated edge' will definitely be in the DS4 though. Balls are out. o_O

I really, really really hope they don't play me too with tablet stuff. Just focus on games and connectivity, free online, etc.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
The idea of detecting hands above a surface is an interesting one, one day it could be normal to have 3D interaction with tablets instead of just the surface. Theremin Hero will be amazing.
Now that's something I would actually play. :)

I suppose this also would enable "easy" 3D-modelling as well. Though that would probably not be a big hit, the only game I can come to think of that has been about such is Mario Artist for Nintendo 64DD. And maybe LittleBigPlanet to a certain degree.

Rösti;47721495 said:
Now that's something I would actually play. :)

I suppose this also would enable "easy" 3D-modelling as well. Though that would probably not be a big hit, the only game I can come to think of that has been about such is Mario Artist for Nintendo 64DD. And maybe LittleBigPlanet to a certain degree.

Yeah as long as you hold a button down with the other hand to indicate inadvertant vs. deliberate input, you could do pretty cool and intricate things with it. I guess fingers apart/together would work too, at risk of getting a bit Kinect.

onQ123

So, like this?

Just one of many Sony patents that may or may not be used in the future.

Nope nothing like that it's tracking your hands in 3D from the pad & the PlayStation Eye so it can make buttons appear on the TV in AR that you can control as if they was really there.

Also it can scan your face & other things into a game in 3D.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think the idea is cool, but none of the rumours so far suggest this will be in the PS4 controller...and you would think something like this might get mention if it was there. It'd be a pretty 'new'/noteworthy thing.

All these controller "innovations" from waggle to touchpads, are technological advancement for the sake of it. Thumbsticks, while not perfect, are pretty good. Buttons are great. I like buttons.

What needs innovation are games. Leave the controllers be for now. Work on the gameplay.

onQ123

I really, really really hope they don't play me too with tablet stuff. Just focus on games and connectivity, free online, etc.

it's not really a tablet it's more like Leap Motion + AR Card + Touchpad + 3D Scanner which could actually just be the Controller with 2 3D cameras be side the touchpad.

onQ123

All these controller "innovations" from waggle to touchpads, are technological advancement for the sake of it. Thumbsticks, while not perfect, are pretty good. Buttons are great. I like buttons.

What needs innovation are games. Leave the controllers be for now. Work on the gameplay.

if this works it will be way better than any button could ever be for gameplay innovation.

He's mentioned in the patent. You position the pad low enough for him to hop onto, and then you can stroke him by moving your hand above the pad.
I've probably said all this before but this seems like the best place, I really think this technology will be integrated into the standard PS4 controller, it talks about having the illuminated edge or part of an edge for 'eyetoy' tracking, and the depth detection area combined with a touchpad. Of course the form factor is different but the patent covers that too, and the 'eyepad' design could be a way of patenting it in the vaguest way possible. The touchpad having a glassy looking surface makes total sense if there are infrared cameras and lights underneath.

Top Bottom