• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS: Japanese games you're waiting to be announced for the US/EU?

So, given that the current narrative is that there are numerous highly-wanted (by GAF, at least) Japanese games yet to be released outside of the country for the 3DS, which games are you craving for localisation most that haven't been announced? And why do you think they haven't been announced yet? Do you think they will, eventually?

Here is a (by no means exhaustive) list of games yet to be announced for non-Japanese territories. It is probably not 100% accurate, either, so feel free to correct me.

No Western Release (EU/US):
Senran Kagura (Marvelous Entertainment)
Slime Morimori: Dragon Quest 3 (Sqaure Enix)
Puyo Puyo 20th Anniversary (Sega)
New Love Plus (Konami)
Hatsue Miku and the Future Stars (Sega)
Girls RPG: Cinderella Life (Level-5)
Dragon's Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D (Square Enix)
Rune Factory 4 (Marvelous AQL)
Bravely Default: Flying Fairy (Sqaure Enix)
Project X Zone (Namco Bandai)
E.X. Troopers (Capcom)
Fantasy Life (Level-5)
Professor Layton VS. Ace Attorney (Level-5)
Dragon Quest VII (Square Enix)
Calciobit (Nintendo)
Culdecept (Nintendo)

No Europe:

Unchained Blades (FuRyu Games)
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked (Atlus)
Devil Summoners: Soul Hackers (Atlus)
Harvest Moon: A New Beginning (Marvelous AQL)
Code of Princess (Atlus)
Etrian Odyessy 4 (Atlus)

EDIT: Fixed some errors

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
tumblr_m047o0Vi111qb1m9to1_500.gif

Not really. I don't think there's anything I want that hasn't been localised, though I have a friend with a PAL system desperate for Bravely Default.

I want:

Fantasy Life
Professor Layton VS. Ace Attorney
Bravely Default: Flying Fairy

Especially Fantasy Life, looks like it has some nice similarities to Animal Crossing but with some fighting elements.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
"Style Savvy: Trend Setters" is out in Europe, under the name "New Style Boutique".

ohlawd

fucking everything.

ok uhh...

Senran Kagura (Marvelous Entertainment)
E.X. Troopers (Capcom)
Fantasy Life (Level-5)
Dragon Quest XII (Square Enix)

Those ones.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
SMT 4 got announced for US? I mean, I know it's a matter of time but I didn't know if there was something official.

and Ni no Kuni (the 2D DS one with the 2D art, not the PS3 one)

I think that is one of a few games which have been confirmed not to ever be localised due to the book that accompanies it.

Especially Fantasy Life, looks like it has some nice similarities to Animal Crossing but with some fighting elements.

About 40 minutes into Fantasy Life...it's super slow so far. Not even finished training for my 'Life' yet. Hopefully, it picks up soon.

Hobby

Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland, Dragon Quest VII, Fantasy Life, Culdcept 3DS (never happening), Bravely Default, Rune Factory 4, and EX Troopers

The easiest answer is just looking at the current state of third party software sales (in the States, at least) on 3DS, plus the strong (though declining) yen. I think it's too much of a gamble to bring most of these titles over, and probably will be until post-Pokemon X/Y, and may still be even then. eShop-only releases I can get behind, but who knows if even that's worth the time and effort.

That Soul Hackers is happening is really enough for me at the moment, but I'd really like to see Fantasy Life, in particular, brought over.

entremet

I think the fact that the 3DS support full retail games in the eShop should reduce some risks.

I know a lot of people prefer game cards for collection and resale purposes, but didn't a good amount of PSP games come to the west via download only?

DJIzana

Fantasy Life
Bravery Default
Monster Hunter 4

If all three titles come here, I will buy a 3DS instantly. And yes, I don't even own one now but Japan is getting a lot of love for that system so... that's where my interest lie!

Holding out hope that all the Dragon Quest games will be released in one giant lump. And then be very hard for me to play them all, because I appreciate teh breaks inbetween releases.

On that list, Layton vs Phoenix seems like the only sure fire game that'll get localized.

But even then, would they use the same voice actors that NOA used in their localization? Will they use the same Phoenix from MvC3? Do they need to change the graphic assets on a ton of Layton puzzles? Sounds like one of the more expensive games to localize, relative to that list.

Other

Style Savy was released in Europe as New Style Boutique and Devil Survivor Overclocked is being brought over by Ghostlight with no date announced

MarkusRJR

I just want Ace Attorney x Professor Layton, Bravely Default, and Time Travellers. The only other JP games I want are already announced to be coming over soon (Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate).

Tenki

No Western Release (EU/US):
Fantasy Life (Level-5)
Calciobit (Nintendo)

No Europe:
Harvest Moon: A New Beginning (Marvelous AQL)
Code of Princess (Atlus)

I want this. And I'd buy all of them.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked (Atlus)
Devil Summoners: Soul Hackers (Atlus)
Etrian Odyssey 4 (Atlus)
Dragon's Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D (Square-Enix)
Bravely Default: Flying Fairy (Square-Enix)
Dragon Quest VII (Square-Enix)

Sucks that we might not get EO4/SMT:DO or only years later.

gotta go with your list

iammeiam

Slime Morimori 3, which will never happen because nobody bought Rocket Slime and I hate you all for it. I'm also kind of curious about Girls RPG in general, but since nobody in Japan bought it and I have no idea what it actually is... eh.

Calciobit, Culdcept, and Fantasy Life would all be neat dark horse releases, but I won't hold my breath.

I choose to believe Bravely Default, Layton vs Ace Attorney, and DQ7 are all going to actually come out here, it's just a matter of when.

Mostly I'd like to see Level 5's US arm actually get involved in localizing some of their more niche stuff. Not listed in the OP, but I'd really like them to bring Inazuma 11 1-2-3 out here since we never got the DS titles.

vareon

Fantasy Life
Bravely Default
Layton vs Ace Attorney
Rune Factory 4 <--- I'm so ready to give monies for this. WHY

Edit: Looking at localizaton of RF 3:

Release date(s)
JP October 22, 2009
NA November 9, 2010
EU September 30, 2011

:O there is still hope

seady

Every year Nintendo of America announce a localized version of Professor Layton in E3 and then went on to release it in October/November. I expect the same for Layton vs Phoenix this year as well.

E.X. Troopers (Capcom)
Fantasy Life (Level-5)

Other than Project X Zone, these would've been announced if we were still in the DS era.

I think we'll see DQ7 but I don't know about the others. :(

My list:

Slime Morimori: Dragon Quest 3
Dragon's Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D
Project X Zone
Fantasy Life
Professor Layton VS. Ace Attorney
Dragon Quest VII
Culdecept
Time Travelers
Jake Hunter 3DS

vall03

So far Im only waiting for Shin Megami Tensei IV, but its only a matter of time with Atlus USA and it still doesn't even have a release date in Japan yet. Im expecting early 2014 US release for it or even late 2013 if we're lucky depending on JP release.

Also hoping for Layton vs Ace Attorney and Bravely Default but both aren't on top of my most wanted list.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
SMT 4 got announced for US? I mean, I know it's a matter of time but I didn't know if there was something official.

Not yet, but if we're getting Soul Hackers, we for damn sure better get the main line SMT game.

So far Im only waiting for Shin Megami Tensei IV, but its only a matter of time with Atlus USA and it still doesn't even have a release date in Japan yet. Im expecting early 2014 US release for it or even late 2013 if we're lucky depending on JP release..

Yeah, that's what I'm expecting.

rjc571

Banned
How come nobody's mentioned Kokuga? Excellent-looking shmup from the creators of Ikaruga.

Sadly, there are so many great games that are being left in Japan that many of them are going to be lost in the shuffle.

UberTag

It's sad the default behaviour in Japan now is to not localize. They need to be braver.
It's sad the default behaviour of gamers in North America is to not purchase these third-party games once they are localized.

We should be grateful for what we get from Atlus, XSEED and NIS. And having any expectations of any other company to willingly throw their money away is foolishness.

At least Fire Emblem: Awakening will benefit next month from having the Nintendo name on the box.

Truthfully, all of these games should be localized but instead of just a blanket translation they should have Angry Birds inserted into the titles as playable characters.
Or be published by Nintendo.
Or be released on a non-Nintendo system.

Any of these strategies should work fine.

Key2001

Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry no Wonderland 3D
Dragon Quest VII
EX Troopers
Fantasy Life
Kaio: King of Pirates
Medarot 7
Rune Factory 4
Time Travelers
Youkai Watch

donny2112

Those are the games I'm hoping get an announcement from your list. As for why no announcement, yet, they all sell low levels in the U.S. Ace Attorney Investigations 2 was already skipped in that series, and Nintendo had to finish up bringing DQVI or that wouldn't have come out, either. Hopefully Nintendo is willing to help with Rocket Slime 2 and DQVII, though.

Top Bottom