• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Ghosts on PC demands 6GB of RAM.. yet it uses <2GB

If you try to launch it on a system with less than 6GB you get this:
6_GB.jpg

But here's the thing: http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4692789&postcount=545

The game has some form of lock or whatever that it displays a prompt about how the system needs 6 GB of RAM and if you don't have that you are below specifications.

RAM usage so far (Task manager, unsure about VRAM.) is usually around 1.1 - 1.8 GB.
(Maybe it continues to grow the more you play, without unloading as maps change and such? Which isn't ideal.)

Edit: Also note that <2GB figure is with everything on MAX. With everything on minimum it probably uses even less!!

And some PC screenshots: http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4692680&postcount=534

Rich!

Welcome to next gen gaming, where us PC gamers continue to get punished by publishers for nonsensical business reasons.

Reminds me of Halo 2. Either way, I have 8gb of RAM, won't be buying COD Ghosts anyway, and even if I did it will be hacked soon enough anyhow.

ViciousDS

Banned
lol wow, i wonder how bad the memory leaks are then.....what are we playing AoC beta or launch here.....hot danm

Sethos

Banned
Maybe some artificial bullshit that stems from being a direct port, then all the allocated RAM basically mimics that of the next-gen consoles and just becomes a stupid requirement? I've no idea.

Whatever the case, I think everyone called the faux hardcore specifications required.

Dawg

I bet there's a setting in the options that states "GTX 780: "

If you enable it, you lose like 30 fps or something unless you have a GTX 780. But nothing else happens.

Dmented

Banned
Lol, not surprising. Next unoptimized games using unnecessary resources will be called "next-gen".

"Look our game is so next-gen it uses 20gb+ of RAM because of the constant memory leakage!"

belmonkey

It's a weird limit to have, but it doesn't seem too ourangeous to me. My laptop from 2010 has 8GB, so most people now probably have that or more.

de1irium

Stop buying bad games.

Also, when a game spec says it needs #GB RAM, is that how much the game itself needs, or the game+OS?

It's a straight-up XB1 port.

Has to be.

It would explain why the PS4 version still looks crappy even at 1080p/60fps and the PC version doesn't even have properly set RAM limits. I bet it looks like crap on a high-end PC too.

NaviLink

Did anyone say "optimization"?

I guess the trend of bad console to PC ports is going to continue with this gen.

Top Bottom