• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

TheMoon

** shoutouts to Dice// who made the fancy new banners **​
vyvdwgza4sxff4syc.png

Note about |OT2|: This is a condensed "FAQ" version of the original |OT| full of helpful links, tips and useful stuff. For the full overview, check the old |OT|.

vyvdwgza4sxff4syc.png

Developed by: MonolithSoft
Localized by: 8-4 Ltd. & NOA Treehouse
Published by: Nintendo
Platform: Wii U
Release Dates: April 29, 2015 (JP) / December 4, 2015 (NA/EU) / December 5, 2015 (AU)
Genre: RPG
Multiplayer: Yes, 32-player passive online squads, 4-player online co-op squad quests
Voice Chat: No
Text Chat: Yes (USB Keyboard supported, also supports the usual touch screen keyboard)
Off-TV Play: Yes
amiibo support: none
Supported controllers on Wii U: Wii U GamePad, Wii U Pro Controller, USB Keyboard (for text entry to online squad)
Miiverse Integration: Yes
Audio Language: English-only. There's no JP voice track, sadly. (Disc is at full capacity)
eShop download file size: (space required to download:) 22.7GB // (final file size after install:) 19GB
Add-on DLC: The Japanese DLC is already included for free on-disc with the Western release!

p2cnwtwt5szlqak4g.png

• Spoilers belong in spoiler tags! Spoilery images shall be posted as links only, no embeds. Unmarked Spoiler/Postgame Discussion Thread here.
  • Keep the face-whining, Sawano-whining, bikini-removal-whining to a minimum please.
  • Also, would you kindly scan the OP [CTRL+F is your friend!] or at least skim through the FAQ before asking the easy questions? Thanks!
vyvdwgza4sxff4syc.png

adnkgmq2rsmw26jma.png

GENERAL COMBAT:
Diffense wrote a really cool combat overview here. It's a highly recommended read!​

SOUL VOICE OVERVIEW:
ChefWycoon wrote up a cool guide on the Soul Voice system with pics. Check it out here!

MINING PROBES:
Here's a cool guide a bout Data Probes. Read it! Be enlightened!​

How-to picture guide for setting up probes to get 100k+:

ONLINE/MULTIPLAYER EXPLAINED:
A detailed rundown can be found on Reddit. Click it, learn stuff!

CAAAAAAAAAAAW's amazing spreadsheet guide to "everything" (item/monster locations, etc, etc):
Also linking my sheet again because it's color-coded and I'm proud of that.
Still missing some online stuff and equipment, and everything in English :(

GENERAL NEWBIE TIPS:

Weapon Type Resistance Guide:

Lots of data in a neat table for stuff such as Squad Tasks and other things here:

Xenoblade X wiki:

Reddit thread about the online stuff:

Reddit thing all about the weather system

Maps with some locations (from Prima Guide):

Renewed's NLA Maps with party member locations:

Picture Guide for aaaaaalll dem Lobsters! (also in the Prima Guide):

Augment/Materials Search Engine (based on CAAAAAAAAAAAW's spreadsheet data):
FYI, here's an augment/material search engine that I found to be incredibly convenient and useful.

You can look up any augment or material (as well as any Skell frame, Skell Superweapon, and/or ground armor that needs to be crafted) and it will show you exactly what you need to farm and where you need to farm to obtain them. Personally, I think this site should go in the OP!

NeoGAF's Show Off Your Xenoblade Chronicles X Character & Skell Thread:

Official eManual PDF from Nintendo's site:

NeoGAF Unmarked Spoiler/Postgame Discussion Thread:

vyvdwgza4sxff4syc.png

wfvtbdfhhsrd2ykmr.png

I'm super worried for some reason that this game has "no" story (focus)?
Where this comes from is the fact that the main story isn't what's driving this game. There is a story with its epic twists and turns guiding you through the game but the real meat comes from being part of BLADE and doing the sidequests (the Affinity Quests, to be specific) which exist to flesh out the world. This one isn't so much about the epic journey like Xenoblade was, but the act of just being part of the world while stuff happens. I hope this makes sense. See below for more on the sidequests.
So how about those sidequests? Tell me about sidequests!
Well, in the end, every RPG is like that :p. Every quest, including story quests, comes down to "kill monster X" or "go to location Y", etc. and that doesn't change in XenobladeX. But context is key and the Kizuna/Affinity quests are really good in that regard.

The Kizuna Quests are all fully voice acted, have cutscenes and have pretty high production values overall. On par with the story quests, I'd say. The stories mainly focus on character development and expanding on the game's lore. I would say that if you beat the game without doing any Kizuna Quests (which is impossible btw, as some story quests require you to finish specific Kizuna Quests), you would've gotten an "incomplete" story, if that makes sense. You will want to seek them out and complete them all :).

Btw there are also Normal Quests, which is sort of between Kizuna Quests and Simple Quests. Normal Quests are activated by talking with NPCs with a quest marker above their head, so kinda like in the original Xenoblade. They're not voice acted, but (usually) tell cute little stories. Lots of text in these quests. The Simple Quests are accepted from the quest board and they're the sort of filler quests you come to expect from MMOs. Just "Gather 3 of this item" or "Talk to this NPC" or "Kill 5 of this monster" kind of quests. I don't know if they're endlessly generated but it wouldn't surprise me if they were.
Is it related to Xenoblade story wise or maybe other Xeno games?
No. Not in the slightest. That also means you do not need to play Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii/N3DS) before playing this one. But you need to play it at some point anyway because it's still amazing.
Any missable quests or other stuff you can miss?
No. There are no missable quests. The only missables are heart-to-hearts for a specific recruitable character. That character is:
___Lao___
and you can safely do those heart-to-hearts until chapter
Can I customize the HUD?
Yes, you can disable everything separately. However, you can't move anything to the GamePad screen. Some of it, like the map, is already there of course. This is the HUD customization screen:
But DO NOT disable the button/control guide until you've familiarized yourself with every menu and submenu, otherwise you will miss vital options since it also removes the button info in menus (you might miss you can upgrade skills, etc)​
Can I adjust audio levels (turn music down/voices up)?
No. :(
Can I use headphones with the GamePad while playing on the TV?
No, not unless you switch to Off-TV Play which mirrors the gameplay to both the TV and GamePad and sends the audio to the GamePad but then you have to tap the touch screen to disable Off-TV every time you need to use the map UI. It's a hassle but it's a workaround at least.
Can I redesign my character later on?
Yes, you can completely change your character during the game (incl. their sex). You're not stuck with anything except for the name. You'll get the option after clearing chapter 5 and doing a certain quest. Details here.
Where do I claim those rewards that they keep telling me I got?
At the terminal in the BLADE barracks.
Do I have to physically walk up to every character I want to add to my party? Is there no menu?
Yup, you have to walk up to them every time. There is no menu to just beam them into your party. Here's a detailed location overview helping you find where they all hang out.
example pic of map (more at the link):
I got disconnected from the network, how do I get back online ("offline" is displayed in the top left)?
You have to return to the title screen (in the settings tab). Don't forget to save. Then just "continue" and you're back online.
Can I use both the Pro Controller and the GamePad for the map?
Yes, you can play with a Pro Controller and have the GamePad on the side to use the map UI when needed. But even when using a Pro Controller, you still need the GamePad to do touch screen stuff. Can't do it completely without that.
I heard you can download something to make loads better? What's the 411 on that?
Yes but this is only relevant if you own the disc version (!) to bring it in line with the eShop version. You have the option to download the following data packs to improve load times and have assets stream in faster. Note: it doesn't matter when you download them or if you only download some of them or none of them. Do what you want. But: IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED YOU INSTALL THESE!. Also, let me repeat: You do not need these if you have the eShop version. They have zero benefit in that case. ZERO! NADA! NOTHING!
Basic High-Speed Data Loading Pack - for greatest impact on your experience, download this pack first
High impact to load times
Installs frequently used data, such as terrain to speed up load times in the city and field.
For greater load-time improvement, use in conjunction with one or more of the other data packs below.
Size: 2011.0 MB​
Enemy High-Speed Data Loading Pack - for players who like to explore and fight enemies
Medium impact to load times
Installs frequently used data in the field, such as enemy data.
For greater load-time improvement, use in conjunction with the Basic data pack.
Size: 2937.5 MB​
Player High-Speed Data Loading Pack - for players who like to complete lots of missions
Medium impact to load times
Installs the data for character graphics and equipment to speed up load times in the city and when you change equipment.
For greater load-time improvement, use in conjunction with the Basic data pack
Size: 3867.1 MB​
Skell High-Speed Data Loading Pack - for players who own and like to customize Skells
Low impact to load times
Installs data for skell graphics to speed up load times in the city and field as well as when loading skell data.
For greater load-time improvement, use in conjunction with the Basic data pack
Size: 1675.1 MB​
Anything I else I should know going in?
Save each time before starting an Affinity Quest. Some of them require rare drops, one that I took just now required having 20% of the whole planet explored - sometimes you just realize that you don't want have the time for the quest and just want to progress the story, but with Affinity Quests when you accept them, it's already too late.

Read these newbie tips from KingSnake: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=188676971&postcount=9255

Also, watch these to learn about systems and stuff you can do:
Xenoblade Chronicles X Survival Guide: Your New Home
Xenoblade Chronicles X Survival Guide: Planetary Defense 101
Xenoblade Chronicles X Survival Guide: Large Skell Combat
Xenoblade Chronicles X Survival Guide: Mining Your Own Business
Xenoblade Chronicles X Survival Guide: The Sharpest BLADE in the World
How long is this game? Do I need to fake my death?
Some numbers: You get your first Skell between hour 20-30. You can finish the main story by hour 60 or so. Then you can keep going until your clock reads 300h+. You're not done once you finish the story. Plenty of stuff to do still. Keep flying.
How do you take screenshots on Wii U?
To post 720p screenshots, hit HOME, go to the web browser, go to your preferred image hoster (imgur.com/abload.de are recommended), click the "browse" button and then pick either the TV or GamePad screen and upload. Ideally you should have an account so you can easily access your uploaded pics via the gallery on your computer.
vyvdwgza4sxff4syc.png

nnidx67rou.png

Add your NNID in the spreadsheet linked below (quote to see link). If you all want to hang out in a Squad, I can put that info here too if you want.

There's also a discord room where you can set up stuff.
QUOTE POST TO SEE LINK

Player NNID Google Spreadsheet: QUOTE TO SEE LINK

-shadow-

I'm really feeling it!

Saddened that the OT isn't called "Uh, uh, yeah!" or "ONE! TWO! THREE! FOUR!" though :p

JoeM86

Jumping in just as the thread is existing :p

Quick question. Is there any way to quickly build affinity? With so many teammates, it's getting to be a bit of a pain to get some up to the missions, even though I've had the last 6 hours of gameplay with them doing loads of missions etc., I've not even reached two hearts necessary for their affinity mission

Zomba13

Quick question. Is there any way to quickly build affinity? With so many teammates, it's getting to be a bit of a pain to get some up to the missions, even though I've had the last 6 hours of gameplay with them doing loads of missions etc., I've not even reached two hearts necessary for their affinity mission

There are post game missions that help you grind out affinity, money, miranium etc. So you can just do them. They go by suuuuuuuuuper fast if you have a decent Skell with Phoenix (the AoE Fireball attack).

QUESTION: Do you guys think the external hard drive data packs are "necessary" for this game? On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being "completely overhauls the experience!", how vital are the data packs?

-shadow-

QUESTION: Do you guys think the external hard drive data packs are "necessary" for this game? On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being "completely overhauls the experience!", how vital are the data packs?
If you don't care about load times being about 10 seconds longer when fast traveling along with some serious pop-in, a 1 really. I've played with and without, and it's just that little extra edge in regards to pop-in why I did it. Sometimes object don't load for 10 seconds when you're next to them. It doesn't break the game, but seeing NPC's float three meters in the air is kinda fun.

If it brothers you, you can always download the packs later on. Shouldn't cause any problems.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
The Ares90 is out of the question, as it will take me forever to get the materials. But, with regards to the superweapon, what would you recommend?
There's a mission in the Industrial area (inside the Skell flight training hangar) that gives you the Hexad Partican level 30 superweapon. You should be able to take it out with it.

random25

Aside from post-game stuff, the best way to improve affinity is through battles. Responding to soul voice and triggering the soul challenge properly (those B prompts) improve the affinity fast.

Golnei

I guess it's not the worst title you could have chosen. Replacing the second part with a Youtube link to the guide videos could have saved it, though.

JoeM86

There are post game missions that help you grind out affinity, money, miranium etc. So you can just do them. They go by suuuuuuuuuper fast if you have a decent Skell with Phoenix (the AoE Fireball attack).

Ah, I'm nowhere near that. In Chapter 9. Friends told me to level up as best I could before jumping onto that

TheMoon

by the by: if anyone feels there was a useful write-up/explanation/tip or anything in the old OT that would be helpful to others, let me know with a link to the post and I'll throw it in the OP so everyone has easy access to it.

Probably rate it an 8? So, yes, if you're using the disc.

If you don't care about load times being about 10 seconds longer when fast traveling along with some serious pop-in, a 1 really. I've played with and without, and it's just that little extra edge in regards to pop-in why I did it. Sometimes object don't load for 10 seconds when you're next to them. It doesn't break the game, but seeing NPC's float three meters in the air is kinda fun.

If it brothers you, you can always download the packs later on. Shouldn't cause any problems.

Thanks guys. I'm trying to weigh whether I want to spend on an external drive or not.

Renewed

OT2 hype. Terrible name, I love it.

I can guarantee that among those previous posts in OT1, 50% were saying to read etc.

I promise to not post much. And to fix my avatar. Sidenote: Neilnail masks. Everytime LOL

jonjonaug

And here I am just finishing up.

Total playtime: 178 hours and 24 minutes.

Does anything special happen at 100% survey rate, or am I done outside of killing some of the hard to find Tyrants?

XBMhavy.jpg

I'm currently building an ether/beam ground gear set up with mastermind class and so far I'm pretty happy with the results. Doing about 50k damage per hit with Ether Blast after buffs and debuffs. Potential and Core Crusher are gamechangers and I'm looking forward to maxing out Potential Boost for even more damage output.

Shaldome

Woot OT2 ! Going back to the game today after family visit yesterday. Just got Hope as a squad member last time. Dragging her along now to get some affinity with her and get her some levels.

Thanks guys. I'm trying to weigh whether I want to spend on an external drive or not.
If you have the 32gb Wii U, I'd get at least the first 3 packs to be honest. No need for the an external HDD and you can still have some other games installed (if you have any). The pop-in without them is really pretty horrible, especially in the city - you might easily miss some important things because things don't load in time.

Motooni

Oh man, finding out I can swap and keep probes is a weight off my mind. I thought my noob-ish mistakes would echo through 300 hours of game play!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Is it possible to download the additional data used in the disk release to speed up loads from the disk? Or does it all have to be downloaded from the store?

Mendrox

just before chapter 10 done almost all quests with 110 hours, 3 level 50 skells with phoenix and g-busters.

I just cannot kill the lava walker for the archo level 5 quest :( help

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Nope. It's worth downloading, not only for the sped up load times but your Wii U doesn't read the disc nearly as much.

Damn. I intend to download, but it's super lame the content cannot be drawn from the disk when it should be exactly the same. Big difference as to when I'll be able to use it, and of course the impact on my bandwidth limit.

Golnei

Damn. I intend to download, but it's super lame the content cannot be drawn from the disk when it should be exactly the same. Big difference as to when I'll be able to use it, and of course the impact on my bandwidth limit.

I think they actually stated in an interview that the whole reason the download packs exist is that the Wii U doesn't support installing data from the disk. It's not the most convenient state of affairs, but at least they tried to work around the limitations of the console.

jonjonaug

just before chapter 10 done almost all quests with 110 hours, 3 level 50 skells with phoenix and g-busters.

I just cannot kill the lava walker for the archo level 5 quest :( help

Check your bestiary to figure out what family of monsters it belongs to (I think those are Theroids but I'm not 100% positive) and stack 3-4 of the appropriate enemy exploit augments on as many skells as you want to do 2.5 times as much damage. Other than Ultrafauna they're all pretty easy to make.

That guy's kinda tough though. I didn't bother doing him until the postgame.

Top Bottom