• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MK9 Update

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I'm gonna remain cautiously optimistic that maybe... just maybe, this time they'll get it right.

yeah sure

Struct09

I enjoyed Deadly Alliance, Deception, and MK vs DCU. Looking forward to a return to the ridiculous violence, hoping for the best.

Hex

Banned
I have hardcore love still for Mortal Kombat 1 and 2, and every time I hear of a new MK I hold out hopes and I will for this one too.

ithorien

My favorite has to be Trilogy, just for the sheer fact everyone was in it. Still quietly hoping MK will go back to 2d HP/LP/HK/LK days...

Was very disappointed when the series went 3d.

iekp45.jpg

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
ithorien said:
My favorite has to be Trilogy, just for the sheer fact everyone was in it. Still quietly hoping MK will go back to 2d HP/LP/HK/LK days...

Ed Boon is pretty open about things on his Twitter sometimes and from what hes said in various posts it definitely looks like that this game is going to be most like MK2 in terms of style, etc...

If they make it more 2d'ish but can still have a 3d sway to it as well (like SFIV kind of), and have the darkness and constant sense of mystery and surprise that MK2 has id be VERY happy....

RedSwirl

What I'd like them to do is pull a Street Fighter IV - make it 2.5D, go back to the engine they had with Mortal Kombat II, and build up from there.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
I'd love to see MK get it right just once.

So much potential wasted in that series over the years.

scitek

Count me in as MKII being their favorite. I still love that game and wish it would return to the pre-combo/3D days, as well. Here's hoping...

only if they bring back fujin....YEA I SAID IT....fu...mutherfrakkin...jin gawd of wind (or something like that, its been a while)

Unicorn

I was running over in my head what MK needs to be good while at work.

-Run needs to return in the form of a sort of dash.
-Street Fighter 4 gameplay setup.
-Evasive moves for every attack, kind of like Tobal or SF 3rd strike, where if you hit the right counter button (high punch for high punch or something) you have the ability to hit the "run" button for either evasive movement back or a dash to get in close to start a combo, where custom combos are back instead of dial-a-combo.
-Perhaps have every button press link to a combo, pressing punch punch kick kick will provide a combo and any combination thereof, and perhaps have it be able to end with uppercut or roundhouse that can provide time to continue a combo with projectile/special moves. (i.e. roundhouse and Sub Zero freeze them to give him time to get over there again) but the evasive/interrupt actions are always viable.
-Limb crippling to an extent.

and some other stuff I don't really remember, but it was fun to play. Mixed the aspects of DCU of the brawling/paper-rock-scissors close quarters combat with Classic returns and Street Fighter depth and fluidity.

shuri

Banned
I've been playing a lot of MK1 lately; I picked up an arcade board on ebay and turns out it's running a PROTO (!!) version of MK1. The test menu says version 0.9. It has tons of juggles and stuff that was removed from the final game, and it feels like a lot like the juggling stuff you could do in MK2. It's like best of both worlds, really :lol

There's no Reptile (yet that ha-ha-ha-ha laugh he would make when he dropped down with hints does randomly play sometimes during a fight or a particular vicious uppercut. Its kinda creepy to be honest) is in the game, and Goro is super fucking hard to put down. The storyline text during the attract mode seems different for Kano and Subzero. Roundhouse kicks make a lot of damage..It's pretty nice. I'll make a video one time.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
shuri said:
I've been playing a lot of MK1 lately; I picked up an arcade board on ebay and turns out it's running a PROTO (!!) version of MK1. The test menu says version 0.9. It has tons of juggles and stuff that was removed from the final game, and it feels like a lot like the juggling stuff you could do in MK2. It's like best of both worlds, really :lol

There's no Reptile (yet that ha-ha-ha-ha laugh he would make when he dropped down with hints does randomly play sometimes during a fight or a particular vicious uppercut. Its kinda creepy to be honest) is in the game, and Goro is super fucking hard to put down. The storyline text during the attract mode seems different for Kano and Subzero. Roundhouse kicks make a lot of damage..It's pretty nice. I'll make a video one time.
DO IT!! We need footage!!
What an awesome surprise.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
shuri said:

This is the type of stuff that i hope is in MK9...all that weird random stuff that people would observe and laugh and be like..WTF?? :lol Other stuff im referring to is the "Toasty" head in MK2, the mixed up letters in MK2's end credits that were hints, the weird characters that would pop out in the backgrounds....MK9 NEEDS to have this type of stuff in it.

tim1138

shuri said:

That is awesome.

I'd love to get one of the older versions of MK2 where you could glitch Friendships/Babalities with Fatalities.

ithorien

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Ed Boon is pretty open about things on his Twitter sometimes and from what hes said in various posts it definitely looks like that this game is going to be most like MK2 in terms of style, etc...

If they make it more 2d'ish but can still have a 3d sway to it as well (like SFIV kind of), and have the darkness and constant sense of mystery and surprise that MK2 has id be VERY happy....

That looks very exciting indeed. I'd agree with you that SFIV way might be the way to go here. Dark and gritty, sans the cheese.

Interfectum

If MK9 is a return to form ala Street Fighter 4, then count me in. Otherwise I'll just watch the fatalities on youtube.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Here's some of the tweets that Ed put out regarding MK9 over the last year or so..

"Carlos & Rick O. doin some kool fatalities. I hope we aren't taking these too far. :( "
"Motion capturing special moves & fatalities today....they are kind of sick !!"
"I think its too early to reveal an actual SCREENS for MK9. We are still adding some amazing graphic features & want everything.. "
"Meeting on our new fighting feature spilled over into lunch hour. Gonna have soup in my office and prep for this afternoon's mocap"
"Not a completely new roster...we will have returning characters. "
"I'm psyched cuz Dan Forden is returning to do tunes for MK9. "
"I think players are definitely going to get the "warm & fuzzies" when they see, hear, play & "discover" the next MK."
"...wondering if peeps wanna see babalities return...."

Swittcher

Banned
Honestly, I feel embarrassed about how fucking fast I clicked this link when I saw it.

Yeah, MK is garbage, but I always play the newest game...just, just to see.

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Here's some of the tweets that Ed put out regarding MK9 over the last year or so..

"Carlos & Rick O. doin some kool fatalities. I hope we aren't taking these too far. :( "
"Motion capturing special moves & fatalities today....they are kind of sick !!"
"I think its too early to reveal an actual SCREENS for MK9. We are still adding some amazing graphic features & want everything.. "
"Meeting on our new fighting feature spilled over into lunch hour. Gonna have soup in my office and prep for this afternoon's mocap"
"Not a completely new roster...we will have returning characters. "
"I'm psyched cuz Dan Forden is returning to do tunes for MK9. "
"I think players are definitely going to get the "warm & fuzzies" when they see, hear, play & "discover" the next MK."
"...wondering if peeps wanna see babalities return...."

oh shit! sold!

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Wrath2X said:
I just want a good fun game filled with sweet violence.
MK has been that the entire time, its just been a below-average fighting game.

I still wonder how they've managed to sell so well over the years though.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
DY_nasty said:

It sells because there is no eastern counterpart to MK. They basically cornered the market on hyper violent fighting games. The only other competent entry in that sub-genre is Killer Instinct.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
DY_nasty said:

I would definitely argue that point. It really depends on what you're looking for in your fighting games. The MK games have never been super deep like the Virtua Fighters, and Street Fighters of the world. It's always been a lighthearted, easy to pick up, solid fighting game with over the top violence and entertainment. Just because it doesnt take itself super serious, doesnt mean its below average.

soxfanmcgee

Neo Member
Maybe I'm just an asshole, but was anyone else laughing while reading that dudes writing?

"A big part of the development of the game is getting the cinematic scenes together for the game. If Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe is any indication of what the assembled team is capable of, I expect the cinematics to be top notch in the next game. To develop the cinematic scenes they have certain actors do the voices for the characters and then they have another set of actors actually act out the motions to the previously recorded voices. Some may do both, but the two point process is used to get the performances captured just as the director wants."

ithorien said:

Kudos on that.

mr stroke

DY_nasty said:

MKII is one of the best balanced deep fighters of all time

I can't wait for this new one. Assuming they have been listening to the out cry over the years I would be shocked if they didn't do what everyone wants(MKII HD with tons of Gore)

Gouken

Banned
the real question is, are we getting getting the original button layout from MK1 and MK2? i never cared for running, i just want, HP,LP,BLK, HK and LK. please ditch the weapons and the fighting styles! oh...and make it 2.5D like SF4. enough 3D nonsense!

DY_nasty

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
I would definitely argue that point. It really depends on what you're looking for in your fighting games. The MK games have never been super deep like the Virtua Fighters, and Street Fighters of the world. It's always been a lighthearted, easy to pick up, solid fighting game with over the top violence and entertainment. Just because it doesnt take itself super serious, doesnt mean its below average.
It is below average. And I don't even think its disputable. If you measure it as a fighting game, it falls apart very quickly. However, I do realize that that is not the reason why MK makes so much money. :D

MK3 was really the last one in the series that was any good as a fighting game. Even though they still make cash, they'd make a lot more if they found a way to be a direct rival to SF again.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
DY_nasty said:
It is below average. And I don't even think its disputable. If you measure it as a fighting game, it falls apart very quickly. However, I do realize that that is not the reason why MK makes so much money. :D

MK3 was really the last one in the series that was any good as a fighting game. Even though they still make cash, they'd make a lot more if they found a way to be a direct rival to SF again.

Yet in the gaming community, MK3 is considered by many (not me) as one of the worst ones with the whole dial-a-combo system.

You may think its below average, but each game sells in the millions, so i would wager to say that there are many out there who would disagree. Even MK vs DC (which many swore they would never buy since it was a toned down, T rated MK game) managed to sell over 2 million copies.

DY_nasty

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Yet in the gaming community, MK3 is considered by many (not me) as one of the worst ones with the whole dial-a-combo system.

You may think its below average, but each game sells in the millions, so i would wager to say that there are many out there who would disagree. Even MK vs DC (which many swore they would never buy since it was a toned down, T rated MK game) managed to sell over 2 million copies.
You're not hearing me. I agree that it sells and another guy said why too. Also, I'm not saying that it doesn't deserve to either. I'm saying that if they even got close to rivaling the best fighters like it used, then they'd be taking money baths every day.

MK3 was the beginning of the end. Thats the only reason I referenced it.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Ed Boon's latest twitter update has a clue....

Here are those MK9 beta codes I promised you: TEERH-ONRUS-TNUBT-NO Hope you enjoy the beta! Just kidding...I ain't got shit. ;)
about 7 hours ago via web

If you descramble the code above, you get:

THERES NO RUN BUTTON

It's not much, but hey its something!! With this game rumored to be going a 2-d style again, at least we know it wont have a run button like MK3 did.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
G-Fex said:
is it a reboot?

I really really hope it's good.

All we know so far (based on various tweets from Ed, etc...)is that this game is supposed to be going back to the style of MK2. Im pretty excited!

fernoca

Also, the team is going to receive the name 'Netherealm Studios'..which will be displayed along with the 'WB Games' logo.

fernoca

Cow Mengde said:
They still make Mortal Kombat games?
Well, yeah..they still sell you know...and are quite good. :p

Now at least they have more people, more money to invest, more time..so things should only get better...

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Eh, just make it as if it were for the SNES

edit, oh shit they're actually doing that? Kinda excited

DevilWillcry said:
I still say Warner and Capcom need to get together and do Mortal Kombat vs. Street Fighter.
Yeah, that would actually be tight as hell, best VS combo ever possible.

fernoca

DevilWillcry said:
I still say Warner and Capcom need to get together and do Mortal Kombat vs. Street Fighter.
I think it was confirmed already that while Capcom US had no problems, Capcom Japan did....or something like that...back then; now with WB..who knows.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Wait, so this is going to be a throwback? That's fucking awesome. Is it going to be a downloadable title like NBA Jam?

Top Bottom