• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tex Murphy: Project Fedora Kickstarter project [Ended, $611K funded]

Santar

Wow, awesome!
Love Under a Killing Moon and Pandora Directive. (Not played Overseer yet)
Hope they don't recast Tex, and that they don't just make it a casual game with no gameplay.
Wonder if they'll continue the story or just start a new one.
Think it would be best to just start a new story in order to get new fans in. Maybe sprinkle in some hints as to what's happened since last time for the fans.

I do love how this stuff is getting people interested in Kickstarter.

Quite interesting to see how many thing come out of the wood work when they can get paid BY THE FANS up front.

Not really surprising, though. Just another form of fundraising.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
9_69877481.jpg
YES

Amazing news, and if it's a kickstarter, maybe that's him filming a promo for it! I always loved him in that role, he was a better actor than any game designer should ever hope to be.

EmSeta

Part of my excitement stems from the resurrection of the Tex Murphy brand, and part of it stems from a strong belief that the Tex Murphy trilogy (UAKM to Overseer, not the two original games) were way ahead of their time.

I'm not talking about the cheesy but lovable FMV, but rather the first person, closed quarters point and click genre. The compact environments allow for more graphical detail, especially for a game on a limited budget.

And just like Bethesda has had great success combining WRPGs with FPS dynamics, I'm sure the same could be done for modernizing the adventure game genre and making it more palatable for today's gamers.

I'm excited!

Card Boy

Banned
I've never played or seen any of these games. It's like a blind spot in my gaming canon.

They where truly the best. Every single object even if it was a wall or footpath had some commentary from Tex himself.

It was all FMV and had some recognizable actors like Margot Kidder (Lois from the Christopher Reeve Superman Movies), James Earl Jones and a couple other figureheads from the 90's.

GoG has the games on their service for 9.99 each.

painey

I'm worried about the timing. Having the Wasteland 2 project start at the very end of DoubleFines was clever, but if all these projects start coming at the same time, overlapping, then people are going to get burnt out (or run out of cash) and the money that is available is going to spread thin over a large number of projects

I'm worried about the timing. Having the Wasteland 2 project start at the very end of DoubleFines was clever, but if all these projects start coming at the same time, overlapping, then people are going to get burnt out (or run out of cash) and the money that is available is going to spread thin over a large number of projects

I doubt they'll start this up until Wasteland 2 is over. They're just dropping hints now to whet the appetite and create a buzz. Expect a formal announcement as Wasteland 2 draws to a close, and then a concerted campaign leading up to the beginning of the Kickstarter.

What's next? The Myst devs decide to kickstart? Because if we're going to be throwing money at adventure games, classic RPGs and FMV games, we might as well finish up the early 1990 gaming experience with the big one.

Actually that would be godlike. As is this! :p

Wiktor

What's next? The Myst devs decide to kickstart? Because if we're going to be throwing money at adventure games, classic RPGs and FMV games, we might as well finish up the early 1990 gaming experience with the big one.

Actually that would be godlike. As is this! :p

Yes, Myst (done by CYAN) is my dream kickstarter

This is crazy.

I was joking saying on Twitter last wee that we should get a kickstarter going to get another Tex Murphy game made, and now I read this today.

I am excite!!

Yes, Myst (done by CYAN) is my dream kickstarter

I dunno how it'd work, given that they're maintaining one Myst product (Myst Online) whilst porting the only two Myst games they own to various devices, but I would Kickstart a Cyan project so hard I'd probably punt my computer to Spokane. I don't think that Cyan has the energy for a true Myst sequel though, they never recovered after the closure/reopening post Myst V.

Wiktor

I dunno how it'd work, given that they're maintaining one Myst product (Myst Online) whilst porting the only two Myst games they own to various devices, but I would Kickstart a Cyan project so hard I'd probably punt my computer to Spokane. I don't think that Cyan has the energy for a true Myst sequel though, they never recovered after the closure/reopening post Myst V.

I don't think maintaining URU takes any effort. It's not like it's being updated with new content. Also..they own all Myst games aside from 3 and 4. They've just released Myst V on Steam.

But yeah, I'm not sure about energy. But with kicstarter money they could form a small team I hope. I'm just devastated to see what my favorite developed has been reduced into, so I'm looking for any chance them getting back into making games.

Bebpo

Banned

That's not by Jane Jensen.

I've said in other threads, but I don't see Jane Jensen doing another adventure game...ever after the horrible development hell Gray Matter went through over almost a decade of development time to release a game with no marketing, no steam release, and that no one even played. She got screwed over so badly, it'd take a lot of guts to jump back in the ring and do it again.

I'm pretty sure I stumbled on the Kickstarter via advenuregamers.com forum. Maybe that was for something else...

And yes, Jane Jensen IS involved with Cognition. Gon' be good.

Bebpo

Banned

Do you even know what that means? It means they are making their own game with their team, writing it themselves, directing it themselves, and maybe occasionally, maybe often, consulting with Jensen on their own storyline they are writing.

This is not a Jane Jensen game. It's not her story, she's not writing the script, she's not directing it, she's not designing the gameplay, she's not doing the music with her husband, she's not choosing the actors; it's not a Jane Jensen game.

It could still be a great game, and I'm looking forward to it. But if it's good I'll give praise to the team making it, and not say "Jane Jensen made a great game here!".

AkuMifune

Banned
I've never played any of these, but they look freakin amazing. All of them seem to be on GOG. Are 1+2 still worth trying or should I go right for Under a Killing Moon, which looks like the standout?

epmode

Pandora Directive is better but they're both worth playing. Start with UAKM!

I really love how these games play off the cheesy FMV thing for laughs instead of trying to be something they're not.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is anyone here old enough to have played this bad boy? I remember seeing it in magazines as a kid, but didn't get into Tex Murphy till much later:

1303593375-00.jpg

DiscoJer

Is anyone here old enough to have played this bad boy? I remember seeing it in magazines as a kid, but didn't get into Tex Murphy till much later:

1303593375-00.jpg

Yup. I played it on the PC - 256 colors! One of the first games to support the new fangled VGA card.

It also played stuff through the PC's speaker, rather than just making obnoxious beeps, like basically all PC games did before that (later sound boards were invented - Adlib, Soundblaster)

megalowho

I've never played any of these, but they look freakin amazing. All of them seem to be on GOG. Are 1+2 still worth trying or should I go right for Under a Killing Moon, which looks like the standout?
Martian Memorandum is a pretty decent point and click but you're right, Under a Killing Moon is where to start. Pandora Directive and Overseer have more polish and production values and are arguably better, Overseer is a remake of Mean Streets. But UAKM has the most heart in my opinion.

Plus, that sax riff! http://youtu.be/rppjOc8Y5wU

mattiewheels

Yup. I played it on the PC - 256 colors! One of the first games to support the new fangled VGA card.

It also played stuff through the PC's speaker, rather than just making obnoxious beeps, like basically all PC games did before that (later sound boards were invented - Adlib, Soundblaster)
Awesome...one thing I love is that Chris was playing Tex Murphy from the beginning. Lookit that pretty mug!

The Tex Murphy games are one of my most beloved gaming memories. I remember spending the night at my best friend's house, staying up all night working our way through Under a Killing Moon and Pandora Directive. And when Overseer came out...hype through the roof!

I'm ready. Let's do this.

SnowTeeth

Banned
Other than Wing Commander this is the PC based franchise I have wanted to see resurrected. I was one of the kids that loved FMV's I guess. But I digress.. This is HUGE news in my world. I loved these games to bits.

StayDead

That license is owned by Activision, anyone throwing kickstarter money at activision needs to be punched in the soul.

Well no it's not owned by activision. It's owned by Vivendi mainly as Vivendi bought out Sierra long ago, Vivendi even own the majority of shares in Activision Blizzard, it's 51% Vivendi, 49% Activition so technically you're still giving money to Vivendi who are actually a good company.

eXistor

I really need to play the old ones. They always seemed pretty cool, but I never played them. Off to gog we go!

Top Bottom