• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS Lite has now been discontinued? ( internal memo sent to GameStop)

onQ123

2e4bzhh.jpg

edit:

oops didn't know that website was banned, so I guess this should be locked?

inner-G

Banned
Can't believe they're going to walk away from money like that.

Are 3DS sales really so low that they think OG DS could be cannabalizing sales that much?

DR2K

Banned
inner-G said:
Can't believe they're going to walk away from money like that.

Are 3DS sales really so low that they think OG DS could be cannabalizing sales that much?

They're probably going to decrease the price of DSi and XL to replace DSL.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I take it that was gooooo nintendooooooooooo

a few sites reported it but they've all linked back to them

The Lamp

DS Lite is the best of the DSes. GBA functionality ftw.

Screw your camera, I can import my Pokemans.

I'm never letting mine go.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
I can't say I was a fan of the d-pad but it was a great upgrade to the original.

onQ123

I guess it's the only way to get people to move on & stop buying DS-lite instead of DSi & 3DS because people in my family keep buying the DS lite for kids I guess they can't tell the difference between DS-lite & DSi & don't care.

Ashodin

onQ123 said:
I guess it's the only way to get people to move on & stop buying DS-lite instead of DSi & 3DS because people in my family keep buying the DS lite for kids I guess they can't tell the difference between DS-lite & DSi & don't care.
This. Every single time I say differences between the two, parents just go "but he doesn't really need the camera.. he just needs to play games on it" and buy a DS Lite.

I need to have one of my GameStop-GAF homies make a "gamestop rant" thread so I can bitch about the general populace.

The Lamp

Electivirus said:
GBA Virtual Console in 2-3 years confirmed.

I hope.

I'm not going to understand why some people are hoping to buy games they own (or at least could easily find for cheaps online) again to play on a new handheld they could just play on their old handhelds.

Maybe because of the internal storage, holding multiple GBA games on the 3DS is appealing, but other than that I seriously do not understand.

Ashodin

The Lamp said:
I'm not going to understand why some people are hoping to buy games they own (or at least could easily find for cheaps online) again to play on a new handheld they could just play on their old handhelds.
"everything in one place" mentality

neptunes

Figured they would do this sooner rather than later. There are too many DS models that only the most informed consumer would be able to differentiate between them all. Lite/DSi/XL and now 3DS

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
What's the deal with the prices for MK, Portal 2, Socom 4? Those can't be trade in values...right?

Ashodin

dream said:
"Did you know that we have two new Wii titles available to reserve?" got me.
Hot and Not Hot MILFs be all over some Mystery Case Files!

Wario64 said:
What's the deal with the prices for MK, Portal 2, Socom 4? Those can't be trade in values...right?
Yessir. MK was 20 before they changed it, Portal 2 22, and Socom 20. Reviews of the games changed the value overnight.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The Lamp said:

Maybe because of the internal storage, holding multiple GBA games on the 3DS is appealing, but other than that I seriously do not understand.
I could never back up my Pokémon Pinball high scores list because the game was on a cartridge, and now it's gone. On the 3DS, I'll be able to.

Also, having all your favorite titles in one place and one click away is awesome.

We've already explained all this five years ago when the Wii kaunched, didn't we?

The Lamp said:

Maxrpg said:
"everything in one place" mentality

This, pretty much. And I've ran into way too many fake cartridges online to consider buying online reliable.

mollipen

I still love the DS above all other models when it comes to the platform. And the DS Lite is the release that really made the DS what it is.

One of my favorite pieces of gaming hardware ever. You did a heck of a job kid!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Maxrpg said:
Yessir. MK was 20 before they changed it, Portal 2 22, and Socom 20. Reviews of the games changed the value overnight.

Holy crap. You gotta be an idiot to trade in games at Gamestop.

Ashodin

I guess this is a good as thread as any to let all you guys know that our super awesome mega deal for LA Noire is trade two select titles and get $50 off the game.

The list is hilarious too - SW:TFU2 is on there (trade in value is 7 dollars, lol).

Wario64 said:
Holy crap. You gotta be an idiot to trade in games at Gamestop.

Or lazy. Most customers do not have the energy/thought process to resell their games to people online (or even think about doing an even swap with people or w/e).

Luckily GameStop from time to time has incredibly insane deals on trading in games, and I always take advantage when it's beneficial to me than usual.

BooJoh

By trimming the fat they make it easier for uninformed customers to choose a product. They also promote more sales of the DSi, which in turn promotes their digital channels rather than include support for a long-since dead system. Hopefully this means a price drop for DSi and XL so the entry fee will still be low for those who choose to go that route.

Aside from the GBA slot, DSi is a superior product to DS Lite anyway (in my opinion, of course.)

I don't know if I'll be rebuying many GBA games on 3DS. It's still super-easy to just grab my GBm if I want to play a GBA game.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Makes since, hard to support DS Lite, DSi, and 3DS.

Nintendo likely just used up the last of the GBA cart slots though.

Thankfully, I still have both a Lite and a DSi, though I've found that I rarely if ever play GBA games anymore, so the Lite is unused for the most part.

onQ123

so when the DS lite sell out that will make the PSP the cheapest handheld? but chances are the price of the DSi will come down.

DS & PSP has been around a long time & they are still acceptable for handheld gaming.

3DS & NGP better get ready for a long ride they should last until about 2018 - 2020

well would have but I think smartphones are going to mess that up for them

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
oh yeah, this happened where I work (not gamestop) a few weeks back. they were shipping all the Lites back.

DSi and XL only until the 3DS gets off the ground, I guess.

Top Bottom