• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim: Gigantic Info Flood And Screens [Update: Tons Of New Info In OP]

ORIGINAL POST: Jeuxvideos just put up some new screenshots, including two that show us the new looks of the Khajiit and Orcs in the game.

tu7LN.jpg

fP98c.jpg

MI4wr.jpg

e6Xhv.jpg

XK7dD.jpg

We've seen these before, but never in decent quality:

kGkrZ.jpg

lhVfa.jpg

jCGzN.jpg

UPDATE 1: IGN has a new article up, as well.

- Attributes are gone.
- Athletics and Acrobatics are gone, as well.
- Riverwood is "a quiet, hillside town filled with people going about their daytime routines nestled between misty mountain ranges. Some villagers chop wood in grassy clearings, some work in blacksmith shops and saw logs in half, some tend dusty item shops lit by flickering candles set in hollowed horns, while others wander the streets and talk."
- The persuasion mini-game is gone, too.
- Draugrs (Nord Zombies) can use Dragon Shouts against you.
- Dragons can talk, both in their own language and in English.
- There's a "quick menu" that briefly pauses the game and allows you to select a weapon/magic loadout.

UPDATE 2: VG24/7 has an article up, too.

- A quest in Riverwood involves Lucan, a shop owner who recently suffered a break-in at his store. He recruits the player to retrieve a stolen golden dragon claw, which is located in Bleak Falls Barrow. He gives the player a brief route description, and then his sister shows you the way out of town.
- Dragon fights are unscripted.
- Characters can get stuck in spiderwebs if they're not careful. (This may or may not be entirely quest-dependant, though.)

UPDATE 3: Joystiq has an article up.

- There's fish in the rivers, which sometimes "jump their way upstream".
- Dovahkiin can pick flowers.
- "Dovahkiin actually looks as if he is firmly planted onto the earth."
- The game map is actually an in-game POV high above the gameworld.

UPDATE 4: Eurogamer's article has some more info (Thanks, GarthVaderUK):

- Puzzles will involve levers, switches, all kinds of traps, and even tiny visual hints left on objects which you can examine in your inventory.
- Running water will often be used as a visual indicator of the way to a dungeon exit.
- "There's a new conversation system in Skyrim. You still listen to someone and then choose options from a list, but the selections are nicely arranged and you can look around the shop while you listen, rather than staring intently into each other's eyes in the tunnel-vision fashion of Fallout. (There's no persuasion wheel, although a speech skill remains.)"
- There's bats.
- "We also learn there is no set level cap, but levelling is faster in Skyrim than in either Oblivion or Fallout 3, so you accumulate more perks. (Don't worry though, you won't max out too quickly.) A new take on the skill system means that every skill effects your levelling, which Howard says will encourage you to use a broader range of them - although the slick interface already does a neat job of that."

UPDATE 5: IGN has a video interview with Todd Howard up, as well. He talks about the dragons, and the role they play in the game.

UPDATE 6: GamePro has an article up, too.

UPDATE 7: RockPaperShotgun has 20 reasons to be excited about Skyrim. Are you?

UPDATE 8: Clarification on the removal of Attributes and the Level Cap, straight from the Mouth of Bethesda itself:

Pete Hines said:
Clarifications on#Skyrim. There is no hard level cap. Effect of Attributes have been folded into skill perks and Magicka, Health, Stamina.

And as for why they've been removed, here's what Todd Howard has to say:

Todd Howard said:
We stripped the attributes to the core health, magicka, and stamina. Before you tell me, 'you took away Intelligence!' I would say, 'but why are you raising Intelligence? Probably to raise your magicka, right?' It was just a trickle-down effect. So now, instead of raising attributes to raise other attributes, you focus purely on the core three you were raising anyway.

UPDATE 9: Bit-Tech has something interesting to say about the dragons:

Bit-Tech said:
Though recognisably dragons, these beasts are weirdly long-limbed and impressively heavy compared to games' usual take on them. When the beast's vast bulk is finally brought to earth by a barrage of spells and arrows, it hits the ground hard then skids a good 100 feet like a crashing plane. Even then, it gets back to its feet and continues to fight from the ground, dragging itself along on its hole-pocked wings like a bus-sized bat. These creatures don't die easy.

UPDATE 10: The Bethesda Blog has a list of some of the articles we've missed.

- Destructoid talks about fish, sunsets and devouring souls.
- Computer and Videogames calls Skyrim "the most beautiful game of the generation"
- The Escapist sums it up by saying "holy shit".
- VideoGamer compares Skyrim's dragons to the dinosaurs of "Jurassic Park"
- If you can brave the pop-ups, GamesRadar has an interesting article as well.
- G4 simply says: "This is Skyrim."

UPDATE 11: Skyrim mods for consoles? Bethesda wants to make it happen.

UPDATE 12: "Howard confirmed that besides higher quality textures and bigger resolutions, the PC version of Skyrim basically "looks the same" as the two console iterations."

UPDATE 13: Slightly disappointing: birthsigns are out, too.

UPDATE 14: You want comparison shots? You got 'em.

- Character model comparison
- Some more comparisons.

UPDATE 15: There's a literal trailer for Skyrim now. It's pretty funny. If you're not into words, try the 8-bit Skyrim theme instead.

UPDATE 16: Some new info from various sources. Hear the cries of the master race!

- The five major cities in Skyrim will be walled-off in a seperate loading zone. (the Master Race is weeping)
- There will be racism and racial conflicts, mostly between Nords and Elves.
- Your sneak status is shown by an eyeball. If it's open, you're detected, if it's closed, you're not.
- Alchemy has seen some tiny changes.
- About half of the game's dungeons are small, and can be completed in about 15 minutes. The other half are more lengthy, including a few 'epic, multi-hour dungeons'.
- You will encounter Necromancers during the game.
- The Nine Divines and the Daedra are in the game, some of them offering unique quests.
- There are mammoths, deer, elk and rabbits.
- The devs did their best to really 'flesh out' the different creatures and races. Their lairs will look different, the stuff they'll sometimes carry unique stuff with them, and so on.
- Mammoths are apparently often encountered near Giants.
- We will see more creatures in the nearby future.
- Crafting skills include armoring, woodcutting, mining, cooking and working on leather. They are not mini-games.
- Some crafting skills have special menus, like cooking.
- There are raw and cooked versions of each food.
- The in-game map was compared to Google Maps. As has been mentioned before, it'll be in 3D, and possibly a real-time overhead view of the world.
- You can't make notes on the map (though 'notes' could mean custom markers, I'm not sure)
- Apparently, wind will cause water to behave differently.
- There'll be 8 or 9 smaller cities, next to the five big walled-off ones.
- You can buy houses.
- One of the archery perks you can select is "zoom".
- The "slow motion"-shout momentarily turns the gameworld black and white, with dust particles flying everywhere.
- With Morrowind, Bethesda wanted the player to feel like "a stranger in a strange land". With Skyrim, they wanted the world to feel more familiar, but with an unique, clearly defined culture.
- Detect Life and Fury-spells are in.
- (Frost) Atronarchs are in.
- You can, apparently, "cut lamps from the ceiling to spread fire". Though I'm taking this with a grain of salt.
- Remember the cobwebs in the Spider Lair mentioned earlier? You have to cut a way through them.
- There are dungeons set inside glaciers.
- Oh, and for those still clinging on to desperate hope, there's no levitation.

UPDATE 17: If you're desperate for some TES lore, but can't wait until November, don't fret. "Lord of Souls: An Elder Scrolls Novel" is coming out on September 27th, continuing the tale started in "The Infernal City".

CP0Hq.jpg

UPDATE 18: Moar screenshots!

There are from the trailer we saw in February:
V5pmA.jpg

HNtaN.jpg

lx7yK.jpg

c1alD.jpg

pOkEH.jpg

e4U2F.jpg

These are more recent:
vcfKq.jpg

jgG4C.jpg

vUpDw.jpg

DqqDh.jpg

Quality isn't that fantastic, though. Anyways, enjoy!

The more I hear, the more I want to tackle the OT, too. Consider this my candidacy. It will be glorious.

RCueo.jpg

Kenka

Full of promises.

I appreciate the art direction but I can't make believe this current home console hardware can run this.

I never play warrior classes, but this game screams CONAAAAN so much it really makes me want to roll a sword-wielding barbarian and just go wandering off into the mountains.

54-46!

Art direction is alot better than previous Bethesda titles.

The combat is a dealbreaker for me though, hopefully it'll be good this time around.

Black Panther, leader of the Dark Brotherhood and master of thieves will travel to Skyrim to prove to himself that he still has the skills to hunt, despite his aged appearance.

Err... maybe I'm already getting too carried away. But that's what Oblivion did to me also. I created a whole back story to why Black Panther was in the world, doing what he was doing haha.

I hope Skyrim immerses me that much

taoofjord

Nice! Bethesda finally hired some great artists (or their original artists worked their asses off)... the game looks awesome!

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
The art direction is so much better than any previous elder scrolls game. I'm really impressed.

Revolutionary said:
I only see one picture of a Khajit and one of an Orc... oh, and one with a dog. Not a very extensive look at the races.
I quote myself:
Blue Ninja said:
So far, we've only gotten a good look at the above Orc and Khajiit, so perhaps the thread title was a bit rushed. That said, there's some new other screens as well.
I based the thread title on the thread I found on the Bethesda forums. Perhaps a mod can change it to something more appropriate, like "Skyrim: The French Come Early".

Darklord

Banned
This game looks so good! I hope the Dark Elves are more tougher this time. They looked and sounded so shitty in Oblivion compared to Morrowind.

Blue Ninja said:
I quote myself:

I based the thread title on the thread I found on the Bethesda forums. Perhaps a mod can change it to something more appropriate, like "Skyrim: The French Come Early".
Pretty sure that wasn't there when you originally posted the thread, but I gotcha. I just wanted to see an Argonian. :(

Zoso said:
The art direction is so much better than any previous elder scrolls game. I'm really impressed.

Morrowind says: You shut your mouth.

Lol. Loved the envrionments in Morrowind. The dunmer settlements were cool and unique, along with the mage towers you could only go up by levitating. Sigh, I love ES3.

Doodlebug

Orcs look like orcs again, menacing, and less like shrek. Thank the divines.

Khajiit also look great. Would still like to see whether they have humanoid or beast legs. The don't seem to have much in the way of claws.

Hopefully more surface soon. Argonians, bretons and mer are what I want to see most.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, the models look so much, much better this time around. "Cat race" for the win.

Chinner

Banned
Might be the screenshots but this doesn't look so impressive anymore. Videos will do it more justice, probably.

Zeliard

lol @ the comparison

Chinner said:
Might be the screenshots but this doesn't look so impressive anymore. Videos will do more justice, probably.

Yeah I'm waiting for vids. Need to see this sucker in motion, particularly to get a look at the animation.

Qwomo

WanderingWind said:
Anybody hoping for a new race?
No. There's a bajillion races, they're all perfect and have been that way since time immemorial. There won't be a single new race in an Elder Scrolls game ever, unless the setting demands it a la Akavir.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
WanderingWind said:
Why? I mean, it's far down my list of wishes, after removal of level/loot scaling and such, but it's not as if that would harm anything.
Well, most of the other races either don't live on Tamriel, or they're dead. So let's not wrangle an excuse out of out asses to incorporate them into Skyrim, which isn't a welcoming province anyway.

gogojira

Blue Ninja said:
They've confirmed the ten races in the game are the ones we know from Oblivion.

For those with fuzzy memories:

Man Oblivion's character models looked so horrendous and LOL at that cat person's hair and orc's pig nose.

Skyrim looks infinitely better, but those cat dudes are still a race I'm completely uninterested in. To each their own I guess, but I can't fathom wanting to play something that looks like a human with a cat head.

Qwomo said:
No. There's a bajillion races, they're all perfect and have been that way since time immemorial. There won't be a single new race in an Elder Scrolls game ever, unless the setting demands it a la Akavir.

Yeah, plenty of races to choose from already. I'm OK with the same set.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Lyphen said:
Well, most of the other races either don't live on and aren't exactly welcome on Tamriel, or they're dead.
Just because they aren't welcome as a whole doesn't mean that there aren't small pockets of them scattered throughout Tamriel.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Where are the humanoid races (Imperial, Wood elf, etc)? I hope they're not as butt ugly as the characters models as the ones in Oblivion.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Lyphen said:
Well, most of the other races either don't live on Tamriel, or they're dead. So let's not wrangle an excuse out of out asses to incorporate them into Skyrim, which isn't a welcoming province anyway.

A wizard did it.

gogojira

Ickman3400 said:
Goddamn at the comparisons. I forgot how badly Oblivion aged, the new ones look fantastic!

They were aged before release. I remember thinking how laughably bad they were the first day I made my Oblivion character.

Qwomo

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
This will be the game where I actually consider playing as the Khajiit.
Yeah, I've never wanted to play as a dirty furry in a video game before I saw these screens -- plus I hated the Khajiit because they looked dumb in Oblivion. But now... now everything's changed.

Top Bottom