• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Original version of Doom 3 can no longer be individually purchased on Steam

pa22word

Update 3

Bethesda and id have both officially responded both here in this topic and in the press, affirming that they are looking into solutions as to how to offer the original 2004 release, its expansion, and BFG simultaneously to PC gamers:

Matt from Bethesda here. We know that some of you out there still have an interest in getting the original DOOM 3. We're already looking into some options.

Stay tuned.

Related: http://www.giantbomb.com/news/vanilla-doom-3-to-be-available-for-purchase-again/4429/ [/QUOTE] [QUOTE=id Software]&#8220....gamefly.com/Download-Doom-3/5004439/"]Doom 3

Resurrection of Evil

Doom 3 there says it's a Steam key, but no mention of that for RoE. Gotta hope for the best I guess. They also still have Final Doom, but given how you're better off just using Zdoom or a variant of Zdoom getting that on Steam isn't a huge deal... though with how Gamefly pulls delisted games maybe it's better to hope it gets readded on Steam, it doesn't have the "it's redundant!" excuse like Doom 3 has, not in the same way anyway.

Update

It appears Bethesda has pulled Doom 3 from all major DD hubs:

Three pieces of info:

1. It's not just Steam, it appears to be everywhere. I've checked Amazon, GamersGate, Gamestop/Impulse and GreenMan so far and it's all just BFG edition.

2. It is still available in the iD super pack on Steam. I don't think they'll be putting BFG up there for a while, so if you want to purchase Doom 3 soon, wait and see if Steam puts the pack on sale for Halloween or the winter holidays.

3. The Mac version of Doom 3 still exists as a downloadable purchase on Amazon and a couple other places, but I can't speak for its quality as far as Mac ports go.

Figured this was worth its own thread. mods: feel free to pull if you feel otherwise.
Capture_zpsca76a829.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/9050/?snr=1_7_suggest__13

Thanks to angular graphics for the heads up in the OT of sorts:

angular graphics said:
Noticed something. I think you can no longer buy Doom 3 (original) on Steam standalone, you have to buy the super expensive id pack to get it, is that right?

I'm on my phone and the site stopped loading for me so I can't confirm.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43391531&postcount=1459

this is only condoning piracy. Bad move ID. The harder you make to download the original the worse it is for people who enjoyed the original incarnation.

Eusis

On PC they should at least include it as a free download for BFG owners (or do they?). Kinda lame to pay more, but that'll even out in the long run and it'd come with Doom 1 & 2 at least.
And that second expansion, but it sounds like you're better off without that.

Eusis

What's so good about the new version? (I havn't been following the progress).
The real question is what's go good about the original version. Which is pretty well highlighted by a lot of people (better vanilla textures, lighting, I THINK the save system may've been switched to pure check point crap seemingly every game needs to have now).

this is only condoning piracy. Bad move ID. The harder you make to download the original the worse it is for people who enjoyed the original incarnation.

encouraging it? maybe. condoning it? i do not see how.

also, with Doom 3 BFG going to have it's source released, it's likely to evolve into the best version, but perhaps iD should have waited until it did before pulling the original release.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Wowza. Didn't think iD the type. I've been trying to mod OG D3 all night with little success. I should be able to have Wulfen+Monoxead+Sikkmod but have been running into resolution issues. It won't let me hold my custom 1680x1050 resolution. Doing my second fresh install now. Hopefully that works.

Edit: I do know how to sett a custom resolution via the config file.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
This, along with higher quality textures and mod support. The new release also looks pretty bad before you turn down the new lighting setting. Here are some pics showcasing the differences of the lighting engine, courtesy of a gaf member who's name is not coming to mind (sorry!):

Doom 3:

BFG:

Ugh to that FOV. Should not have been funneled in a rerelease from the start.

pa22word

Wowza. Didn't think iD the type. I've been trying to mod OG D3 all night with little success. I should be able to have Wulfen+Monoxead+Sikkmod but have been running into resolution issues. It won't let me hold my custom 1680x1050 resolution. Doing my second fresh install now. Hopefully that works.

Going off Tim Willits comments on the PC version of BFG, I don't think they are. You must keep in mind though that id is owned by Bethesda now, so what they think doesn't really matter anymore when it comes to decisions like this.

In the Config do you have "-1" set in the mode entry? I believe it's right beneath the res entries. I had this issue initially, once you set it to - 1 (custom resolution) it should stick.

I'm very glad I own this version, especially after playing both modded doom (so beautiful!) and the dark mod. Thief lovers should really check it out.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
In the Config do you have "-1" set in the mode entry? I believe it's right beneath the res entries. I had this issue initially, once you set it to - 1 (custom resolution) it should stick.

I'm very glad I own this version, especially after playing both modded doom (so beautiful!) and the dark mod. Thief lovers should really check it out.

Damn, ya know, I did that originally, but then did a fresh install as I was getting ass framerates, and on the fresh install I never did that, only to do another fresh install. Damn. Well, my current fresh install is almost done, will give that a go after it's done. I was wondering why I saw you playing and then stop playing Doom 3 the other day. :p

Damn, ya know, I did that originally, but then did a fresh install as I was getting ass framerates, and on the fresh install I never did that, only to do another fresh install. Damn. Well, my current fresh install is almost done, will give that a go after it's done. I was wondering why I saw you playing and then stop playing Doom 3 the other day. :p

He he, that should do the trick I think. Also check your lodbias. I realized the reason I was getting really bad shader aliasing and the like was because my lodbias was -2. But yeah, I'm hoping to finish Doom3 once and for all now :)

jgminto

Because eight years and two months was the golden purchase period for you?

No. The buzz around the re-release got me interested in the game as I was still on PS2 when it released. But I'm not going to pay $40 for arguably worse visuals and an apparently mediocre mission pack.

Respawn

Banned
No. The buzz around the re-release got me interested in the game as I was still on PS2 when it released. But I'm not going to pay $40 for arguably worse visuals and an apparently mediocre mission pack.

The point is you had 8 f'ing years to play the game.

jgminto

How is that relevant? When it was released it was neither the type of game I played or on a console I owned. So it's ridiculous to assume that the re-release and buzz surrounding an 8 year old game that I would have no real reason to even think about until now might interest me?

Eusis

8 years and at the very end no warning to it being (effectively) pulled. If they made it very clear far in advance... well, even then the problem is that you wouldn't know that they made it worse.

And to be fair, it could well be that Bethesda also thinks people are making an honest mistake (some could be, but probably not as often as they'd imagine) and could well put it back up once the game's been out for awhile.

D-e-f-

Banned
Very weird how this whole BFG business is being handled.

I'm glad I finally had someone help me grab the DOOM/Quake collections during the summer sale (big middle finger to Germany's stupid censorship)

BigDes

We technically don't know whose fault it is, BUT it's better to assume it's Bethesda's rather than id's, yes.

Kind of hard to think the lack of mod support was a Bethesda decision though, I mean I know everyone hates them and all but they are usually mod friendly, look at the ES games

Eusis

Kind of hard to think the lack of mod support was a Bethesda decision though, I mean I know everyone hates them and all but they are usually mod friendly, look at the ES games
We're apparently getting the source eventually. I think that's the kind of thing you'd have to be within the company to truly understand the why of, it may well be that getting this done and out was a higher priority, but combined with how modding friendly Bethesda Game Studios games have been I don't think it's an overall corporate strategy like it is with EA and DA2/BF3 lacking modding.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Going off Tim Willits comments on the PC version of BFG, I don't think they are. You must keep in mind though that id is owned by Bethesda now, so what they think doesn't really matter anymore when it comes to decisions like this.
Great read. It seems you are right. Though never addressed specifically, in all reality iD(and everyone else) has to live in a CoD era.

You were absolutely right. Thanks for mentioning it. What specifically does Dark Mod do that draws you towards it? I've never seen it myself.

D-e-f-

Banned

In that scenario, though, it was about future proofing new games. Now we have a re-release of an old game that already had a lot of mod support. I'd guess the additional effort to include that with all the changes they had already made wasn't worth it or would've taken too long or whatever.

Eusis

Great read. It seems you are right. Though never addressed specifically, in all reality iD(and everyone else) has to live in a CoD era.
Taking a closer look: to be honest, wanting a series like Call of Duty to collapse may be the most justified case of wanting such a thing to happen to a series you never cared about. It's not even a case of "how dare people like what I don't like?", hell, you can LOVE it but recognize it's become a problem with nearly every major developer seeing this audience and going after them, at least partially, at the expense of those who don't need constant action/instant gratification in their games. Should CoD collapse it could potentially invoke a revolution in the industry, although for better or worse is anybody's guess.

Nome

What, is Steam the only place to buy Doom 3 or something?

Also uh... if you "enjoyed" the original incarnation, it means you've played it. If you've played it, you probably already have it. If you haven't played it, it's kind of hard to enjoy it, eh? Seems like awful reasoning to me. Really sick and tired of this "NOT ON STEAM = SUPPORT PIRACY" bullshit.

Rapstah

Also uh... if you "enjoyed" the original incarnation, it means you've played it. If you've played it, you probably already have it. If you haven't played it, it's kind of hard to enjoy it, eh? Seems like awful reasoning to me. Really sick and tired of this "NOT ON STEAM = SUPPORT PIRACY" bullshit.

While I'm sure you're talking about the statement in general rather than this exact case, where else would you buy it? Retail copies would be hard to find because it's eight years old, and iD's official site doesn't sell it anymore. They sell Doom II for downloads still, for example. Is it on some less popular download service? I'm assuming whoever wants to spontaneously play the original Doom 3 now isn't really interested in getting a used copy from eBay or anything like that.

pa22word

And id sold them those rights, so it's still id's fault.

id wouldn't exist today if they hadn't; RAGE would have ended them. Before you say, "okay so not Bethesda then!" Well, who else is there?

Activision? EA?

Yes indeed. It's such a shame to see id of all people be hit by this phenomenon of publisher influencing trying to chase CoD.

Eusis

Well, there is losing your copy, or you only had it on Xbox, or you played it on a friend's computer... Then there's the blurrier angle of losing the discs (or even your download!) but NOT the keys, would it REALLY be piracy if you're downloading the game, only to use your legitimate key on it?

But that's a separate tangent, for now GameFly at least is still offering the original game, though I don't see the expansion there. Fortunately being a Steam key we don't need to worry about the download vanishing on you after purchase in case Bethesda notices and gets it pulled from them!

EDIT: Cut out and placed in a newer post.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
/hugs original boxed retail copies of Doom 3 and RoE

I'll take those over Steam any day.
The Doom3 box I have isn't that good really... Paper box (with a fatter DVD style box in iirc... with the game on 3 CDs, lol) but small form, not big like the old school PC boxes...

Eusis

The Doom3 box I have isn't that good really... Paper box (with DVD style boxes in iirc... but 3 CDs for the game, lol) but small form, not big like the old school PC boxes...
No decent manual either I take it? I know Valve didn't bother with Half Life 2, or not for very long actually. Come to think of it, I guess they were leading the "ditch manuals!" initiative all along, though in their case they were actively going digital and their games weren't exactly so complicated they NEEDED them, not until Dota 2 anyway.

Another weird thing: they don't sell Final Doom individually. Of all the games to do it with, at least Doom 3 has the excuse of a newer version, but this isn't even bundled with BFG unlike Doom 1/2.

Top Bottom