• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PlayStation trophies to hit in June

Source: http://www.psu.com/Rumor--PlayStation-trophies-to-hit-in-June-News--a0003642-p0.php

According to our PS3forum industry insider, Sony will be releasing Firmware 2.4 sometime in June around the launch of Metal Gear Solid 4. Also mentioned is that the new Firmware 2.4 will include some of the first PlayStation Trophies. *Note that these will be the 2D trophies found on the XMB and not the 3D trophies coming in Home later this year.

"The SDK 2.40 will be available to dev. late in June. The actual Firmware 2.40 might see the light of day a lot sooner (my personal guess would be launch aligned or slightly before MGS4 )." - PS3Forum Insider

Fingers crossed.

YYZ

What's the track record of the insider and what the heck are 2D trophies on the XMB?

It's like watching a caterpillar turn into a butterfly with Sony's online system at times :p 2D-->3D? I'm happy though. Getting them in Uncharted was fun and added to the experience a lot, I can understand the whole Achievements deal that's so big on 360 as time passes.

Looking forward to this!

pswii60

Cool stuff. I assume at the same time they'll add the ability to see games your friends have been playing (rather than just currently playing).

Also, will all those 'trophies' I got in Uncharted automatically be imported? I hope so, it'll give me a kickstart :p

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
YYZ said:
What's the track record of the insider and what the heck are 2D trophies on the XMB?

2D representation of your Trophies/Accomplishments in the XMB. Sorta like the buddy list avatars only for your trophies.

Wollan

YYZ said:
When you view your friends Trophies from the XMB it's not the 3D models but 2D bitmaps.

YYZ said:

It just means that there will likely be a need icon added to the XMB where you can check out your trophies across all games.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
*Note that these will be the 2D trophies found on the XMB and not the 3D trophies coming in Home later this year.

can you view the trophies of other people from XMB/friend list?

pswii60

Brashnir said:
more importantly, will we be able to view them on the web in some fashion?
Yes, this is particularly important on GAF. So we can catch out people who say "Uncharted was crap blah blah" and then we can check their PSN name to see if they've even played through the damn game.

Still there will be shock and horror when we realise that Kittonwy hasn't made it past Chapter 3 :D

verio

So, trophies are equivalent to achievements, correct? So, will there similar points involved with the trophies? Or, no details on that yet?

pswii60 said:
Yes, this is particularly important on GAF. So we can catch out people who say "Uncharted was crap blah blah" and then we can check their PSN name to see if they've even played through the damn game.

Still there will be shock and horror when we realise that Kittonwy hasn't made it past Chapter 3 :D

:lol

pswii60 said:

Wollan

xenix said:
Is it some sort of achievements system that can be found on the 360?
It's the same thing as achievements.
No gamerscore though as far as we know but instead you get 3D trophies and items you can use in Home.

xenix said:

Pretty much, although there's no confirmation yet on whether or not there are points involved. So you might not be able to brag to people about having more points than them because you just forced yourself to play through the Golden Compass.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
verio said:
So, trophies are equivalent to achievements, correct? So, will there similar points involved with the trophies? Or, no details on that yet?

Accomplishments are the achievements equivalent, Trophies are more like the reward (achievement points) you get for completing an accomplishment/achievement. I don't believe they've talked about adding points into the system.

xenix said:

I heard it worked pretty similar and I think you will be able to actually use the trophies or entitlements for something in-game like to unlock certain features, etc. For example, exclusive clothes for your Home avatar or exclusive levels for a certain game.

verio

Killthee said:
Accomplishments are the achievements equivalent, Trophies are more like the reward (achievement points) you get for completing an accomplishment/achievement. I don't believe they've talked about adding points into the system.

Oh gotcha. I had it flipped around.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
badcrumble said:
A Sony rep said that in-game XMB would be coming with Firmware 2.4 as well, right? Hopefully that's still the case.

"in-game communication" to be precise.

Nolan.

Would you get trophies for games you already finished if they added trophies later or would you have to play it again.?

h3ro

pswii60 said:

Thats because once you see the textures on the
submarine
, you don't need to play anymore :lol

gofreak said:
Well, if a full friends list/messaging module is available, the XMB is just a redraw of the in-game PS button interface, so I can't see why it wouldn't be possible.

Doc Evils

Bearillusion said:
Really? I like acheivments but gamer score is incredibly stupid imo.

I think it would be better to see a trophy score than some gamer score. That way you can say you pein is bigger because you have 200 more trophies than that dweep gandalffkilla92.

h3ro

I don't mind achievements as long as they actually give you something for getting them, like in Halo 3 with the different armors, etc. I think they're pointless if all they do is increase the number of your point tally for you to show off (do people really do that) to other people...

Coin Return said:
What's wrong with gamer score?

What's right with it? Two players could have 1000 points in total. One player received these points from 1 game. The other over 10 games. What does the score tell you? Nothing.

gofreak said:
Exactly. They only said, access to XMB features in-game sometime in 2008. In-game communication in 2.4. It could come in May, or it could come as late as December.
Bearillusion said:
What's right with it? Two players could have 1000 points in total. One player received these points from 1 game. The other over 10 games. What does the score tell you? Nothing.
True. Also, one might have gotten 1000 in Avatar (A very easy game to get them) compared to 1000 in Ridge Racer 6 (a very difficult game to get 1000 in, or time consuming I should say). Trophies more so show you completed a particular task, over just regular points.

fse

Bearillusion said:

tells you how the player got them too ;)

SolidSnakex said:
Because it doesn't serve any purpose other than people bragging.

But bragging is fun when it's between friends...there's a very active competition between me and a circle of buddies and family involving that score.

The rules are unspoken but simple. No cheating. And cheating would involve games like Golden Compass. We all buy mostly the same games so it's kind of cool to race to get kills, beat levels, etc, because mostly we play together.

I don't know, I think gamerscore gets a lot of unwarranted hate.

It's certainly not the sole reason any of us play, but it is a fun little addition.

Mrbob

Hurry up and get this done sony (hopefully meaning 2.4 has cross game invites as well) so I can quit paying for xbox live.

Further into the thread, they state that the Firmware 2.4 will also include improved Audio/Video communication, however don't get your hopes up that this is for in-game XMB. As developers will receive their 2.4 debug units in June, expect that only first party Sony titles to have trophies first.

Sonofabitch

This is waiting is seriously pissing me off.

angelfly

Sounds good to me if true. I didn't even know the trophies were viewable outside of Home. Hopefully some get some confirmation of this soon along with anything else that'll be in 2.4.

Top Bottom