• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii and DS tidbits in the new Edge magazine

Rocked

Sorry if there's some spelling mistakes and paraphrasing.

General Wii stuff

- CNN has signed up with Nintendo as the provider of news content on tne News Channel in American and Japan. News will be presented by category, but another way of getting to it is by spinning the weather globe to find stories in different countries

- Sega has moved a significant number of development staff from PS3 to Wii over the Summer

- Although Nintendo has removed DVD movie playback from the Wii, it plans to launch in Japan next year an enhanced Wii capable of such a feature

- Nintendo intended to bring Wii to shop shelves in the UK and US for £150 and $200, but became influenced by pressure from the larger retail chains, which raised concerns over margins and low so-called 'basket value' (ie, the amount of revenue generated from a customer's overall purchases at the till)

- There are plenty of Wii Channel slots remaining to be filled

- Edge says that Wii Sports will be to Wii what Mario 64 was to the N64. Says golf has the best single player mode (no surprise) and boxing is their favourite overall

Laurent Fischer interview

- He doesn't expect all of society to immediately jump on board from day 1. At first it will probably be mainly the hardcore and casual gamers buying it, but little by little he expects more people to come on board through word of mouth, advertising etc... much like the DS. He says word of mouth has played a huge part in the DS's success in Europe.

- He says in Europe the DS has done a wonderful job of capturing the female gamer and the casual gamer, but getting the non-gamers still has some way to go yet. NOE's goal is to get the DS selling as fast as it is in Japan where on a weekly basis they're still not able to fulfil the demand, becaue they're attracting such a broad audience. "In Europe I don't expect us to be in that position for some time, but we're on the way. It will take one year, certainly and with the Wii it will take the same time. We know it's a long way to get out of the videogaming ghetto"

- He says when creating games Nintendo doesn't say "this is going to be a gamer's game and this is not." He says a lot of hardcore gamers enjoy Brain Training, because it's something different and another good example is Animal Crossing. Nobody at Nintendo thought Animal Crossing would be a very massmarket game. It started out as a hardcore game with people around the world going crazy for it, then it became a bridge between the hardcore, casuals and the wider population, which included females and people looking for a different concept. In Japan they were surprised by the strength of Animal Crossing's sales and every week NOE says "WOW" at the sales. He said on the GameCube it only sold 150,000 in Europe but the DS game has already passed 850,000

- He says for months and months he had to sit and see journalists politely smiling when he told them DS is stronger than the PSP, but he knew from the start it would take off eventually, because he tested it on the people around him. He said his wife kept stealing his DS which has never happened with their other consoles and his neighbour - an awful old lady - became addicted to Zoo Keeper. She'd played Tetris long ago and now she was hoooked on Zoo Keeper. "If there was one person who wouldn't play a videogame, it was her"

- He says he's not worried that people can download the old (Virtual Console) games on the PC. He says it's important to be able to play them on your TV screen and doesn't think playing a NES game on the PC is something you'll really love. "Of course, you can play them on your PSP via emulation too! [laughs] Actually most PSP owners I know are using them for Nes and SNES games" :lol

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Although Nintendo has removed DVD movie playback from the Wii, it plans to launch in Japan next year an enchanced Wii capable of such a feature
FUKN HYPOCRITICAL MORONS

bububububub everyone has 17 dvd players already.

Dizzy

Banned
- Nintendo intended to bring Wii to shop shelves in the UK and US for £150 and $200, but became influenced by pressure from the larger retail chains, which raised concerns over margins and low so-called 'basket value' (ie, the amount of revenue generated from a customer's overall purchases at the till)
Those greedy retailers did the same when the GC price was announced in the UK -_- now we get ripped off because of them. Bloody scum.

Rocked said:
Sorry if some of this is old.

General Wii stuff

- CNN has signed up with Nintendo as the provider of news content on tne News Channel in American and Japan. News will be presented by category, but another way of getting to it is by spinning the weather globe to find stories in different countries

- Sega has moved a significant number of development staff from PS3 to Wii over the Summer

- Although Nintendo has removed DVD movie playback from the Wii, it plans to launch in Japan next year an enchanced Wii capable of such a feature

Errr ... what? Perhaps a Wii Q model or something is coming?

How about a Wii HD, Nintendo? Pretty please?

As for SEGA ... Virtua Cop, F-Zero WX, and House of the Dead Wii, DO IT SEGA.

JDSN

Banned
"He says for months and months he had to sit and see journalists politely smiling when he said DS would be the bigger product than PSP, but he knew from the start it would take off eventually, because he tested it on the people around him."

Are you sure about that part?

HowardMoon said:
By Next year DVD will be obsolete anyway

True.

But a DVD Player + DVR + Wii in one box ... now that would be interesting. Would fit right in with Nintendo's philosophy of offering things like news/weather channels and what not too.

Record TV programs on your Wii Q, be able to fast forward/browse/edit on your Wii TV Channel using a Wiimote for instance. Or be able to record your TV program while you're playing Wii or checking up something on the internet/Wii Channels.

Not everyone has TiVo, especially in Japan and Europe, most people still use shitty old VHS and tapes to record TV shows and whatnot.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Where is the logic in saying they arent putting in dvd playback NOW because everyone already has 1, but putting it in 6-12 MONTHS down the road?

IDIOTS.

Game-Biz

General Wii stuff
Awesome.
Great, but not surprising.
- Although Nintendo has removed DVD movie playback from the Wii, it plans to launch in Japan next year an enchanced Wii capable of such a feature
:lol Can't wait to see GAF's reaction!
Very interesting...

Rocked

There's a 10 page Zelda preview as well, but I'm not sure what's new or not, because I've kind of been shielding myself from seeing to much of it. :S

Branduil

OH NO A DVD VERSION, MY LAUNCH WII WILL BE WORTHLESS.

At least there isn't a Wii that doesn't come with onboard storage. ;)

Mrbob

I don't care about a DVD version of the Wii. I suppose for the one percent who will actually use the Wii as a DVD player that is good news.

But this...

Edge says that Wii Sports will be to Wii what Mario 64 was to the N64. Says golf has the best single player mode (no surprise) and boxing is their favourite overall

Wii Sports will be the Mario 64 equivalent? Doubtful.

soundwave05 said:
Errr ... what? Perhaps a Wii Q model or something is coming?

As for SEGA ... Virtua Cop, F-Zero WX, and House of the Dead Wii, DO IT SEGA.
NiGHTs as well.

And if they really love me... enhanced versions of Shenmue and Panzer Dragoon Saga.

I hope the Wii Sports games have decent depth to them. Especailly bowling, boxing, and golf. I could see myself playing a lot of those if true.

The more I think about it, the less I think the Wii DVD player will be just a DVD player. I mean if they wanted to do that, they could have just stayed with the Wii + Dongle route and offloaded DVD royalties onto the dongle.

I think they may be working with Panasonic perhaps on a Wii + DVD + HDD TV recorder. You can edit photos, check weather, etc. on the Wii, why not have a TV Channel that lets you record television?

Lo-Volt

The Wii was meant to cost $200? Couldn't the people in Kyoto balance it out and push it for $229 instead of the price we have to accept now?

Memles

A DVD-capable Wii would be worthless in a Western market, really, since DVD players are no so ridiculously cheap. Is this not the case in Japan? Must not be.

Lo-Volt said:
The Wii was meant to cost $200? Couldn't the people in Kyoto balance it out and push it for $229 instead of the price we have to accept now?

Expect a price cut to $199.99 next spring. Unless you really must play Zelda or use the Wiimote this Christmas, maybe the better option is to just wait if you're strapped for cash. Obviously Nintendo is sitting on an inflated price here, one they can likely drop whenever they want.

Most interesting bit in the original post by far, so naturally it's ignored here in favor of PSP potshots and handwringing over a niche revision that is likely japanese only. Good ol' GAF.

Luckett_X

Banned
Oh man alive. Sega bailing out of PS3 is no indication of anything other than how useless theyve become. Wii+ in the pipelines (i doubt the only extra will be just DVD's), and complete and utter nonsense about retailers pushing them to up the price massively. And maybe Mario Galaxy should have been at launch to have the Mario 64 effect ¬___¬

Luckett_X said:
Oh man alive. Sega bailing out of PS3 is no indication of anything other than how useless theyve become. Wii+ in the pipelines (i doubt the only extra will be just DVD's), and complete and utter nonsense about retailers pushing them to up the price massively. And maybe Mario Galaxy should have been at launch to have the Mario 64 effect ¬___¬

Could you be any more of a caricature?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Luckett_X said:
we get it already

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
ferrarimanf355 said:
I might buy a Wii if it can run an arcade perfect port of House of the Dead 4... :D

it can't. it can probably run vc3 and ghost squad, though. if they can get the wand to work as a light gun, i'd really like to see those games ported.

Luckett_X

Banned
oh right yeah, the whole "lol negative against nintendo totally" means i shouldnt say anything ever. I enjoy many Nintendo games, but its shit like this that makes me crawl out and start waving my belligerent stick about.

Que c-c-c-c-c-c-c-combo of vapid forumers quoting my tag.

soundwave05 said:
Expect a price cut to $199.99 next spring. Unless you really must play Zelda or use the Wiimote this Christmas, maybe the better option is to just wait if you're strapped for cash. Obviously Nintendo is sitting on an inflated price here, one they can likely drop whenever they want.

Yes, I must really play Zelda this Xmas :D

It wouldn't be arcade perfect, but I could see a HoTD collection on the Wii with HoTD4 included on there. At 480p it could look reasonably close.

F-Zero WX with online ..... **** that though, I'd buy a Wii just for that one game alone.

The Black Brad Pitt said:
Where is the logic in saying they arent putting in dvd playback NOW because everyone already has 1, but putting it in 6-12 MONTHS down the road?

IDIOTS.

It's just a rumour. It's so much against what they've been saying I doubt it'll ever happen.

Lo-Volt

soundwave05 said:

I have enough in the Christmas budget to get the Wii at its current price, but for me, it's not the best thing for consumers that Nintendo opted for a not-quite-ideal price because of the greed of stores.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
soundwave05 said:

That would be nice, but unfeasable. If they did that, they would **** over the people who bought a regular Wii, and besides, games made for such a Wii HD wouldn't work on Wii.

Oblivion said:
That would be nice, but unfeasable. If they did that, they would **** over the people who bought a regular Wii, and besides, games made for such a Wii HD wouldn't work on Wii.

Multiple resolutions like PC games have been doing FTW :)

I doubt it would happen though. Like I said a Wii DVD + DVR w/HDD is a lot more likely.

The Wii could make a pretty nice DVR with such an easy to use/motion sensing controller and the Wii Channel setup just kinda screams for Wii TV. It's also more convienant for casuals, since they may not want to miss their favorite TV show while playing a Wii game.

Wii + DVR + 100GB HDD would be nice for $300-$400.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
- Although Nintendo has removed DVD movie playback from the Wii, it plans to launch in Japan next year an enhanced Wii capable of such a feature

WHAT ? 250 Euros is not enough to get a firmware update + software DVD decoding ???? Look, even if it is only limited to 2 channels stereo... FE&K!!!!

Maridia

Luckett_X said:
oh right yeah, the whole "lol negative against nintendo totally" means i shouldnt say anything ever. I enjoy many Nintendo games, but its shit like this that makes me crawl out and start waving my belligerent stick about.

Que c-c-c-c-c-c-c-combo of vapid forumers quoting my tag.

Luckett_X
WE GET IT ALREADY. YOU ****ING HATE NINTENDO. YOU CAN STOP NOW.

EDIT:
And WiiSports on par with Mario 64? I'll take it!

Jiggy

Nintendo better offer Sega the opportunity to develop F-Zero WX, stat. Still arguably the most beautiful game on GC, and one of the two best-playing.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
JonathanEx said:
"We know it's a long way to get out of the videogaming ghetto"

Oh man, he's just taking the piss out of Sony now.

:lol first thing I noticed too.

Golf works the best? I would have thought Tennis. Boxing being fun is encouraging though.

Nintendo aren't going to sell to non-gamers right now anyway. They have to have the software for that that doesn't exist yet. Once they do, the price cut will come.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
why the **** do you people care whether or not the Wii can play DVDs?

Holy ****ing shit.

ethelred

- CNN has signed up with Nintendo as the provider of news content on tne News Channel in American and Japan.

Cool, I guess. If you're going to get a global news provider on a system, CNN's a good pick.

Means nothing until we see some game names. Lip support until then.

Shitty as hell. Good thing I don't give a crap about getting another DVD player.

- Edge says that Wii Sports will be to Wii what Mario 64 was to the N64. Says golf has the best single player mode (no surprise) and boxing is their favourite overall

We'll see.

Luckett_X said:

Sega switching support to a console not of your choice just indicates their uselessness? I see.

GaimeGuy said:
why the **** do you people care whether or not the Wii can play DVDs?

Holy ****ing shit.

People don't want the Wii's they buy this year to become the new DS Phats. I doubt they have much to worry about, but if a new model had more functionality and a better appearance, people would be pissed.

And Wii Sports will obviously be the game for Wii that Mario 64 was for the N64. It may not be as good a game, but it's one that showcases the system's abilities perfectly, and has that same "holy shit" feel to it that moving Mario in 3D did.

Top Bottom