• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gaming Mice: Post your rodent! (keyboards welcome)

Songbird

Prodigal Son
After two years of faithful service, my Razer Copperhead is starting to break down on me. Its right mouse button becomes temperamental more and more now and I think its time for a replacement. My birthday is also coming soon so a new mouse would be a good thing to put on my wish list. I understand the Logitech G series is well-liked.

Could any gaffers share their current device and what they think of it? My Copperhead is 2000DPI and I've gotten used to its shape, but the constant pulsing light is something I can do without in a new mouse especially since the logo cap that covers it fell out not long ago. Looking in a pair of brick and mortar shops today I saw Sidewinder (old school), Cyborg (who?), Alienware, Logitech and Razer. Wired preferred!

Keyboard tips or sets of keyboard+mouse would also be appreciated. Mine is a free wireless job I got for free and batteries are costing me a good amount. Again I don't want harsh, bright lights. Macros are cool and money is no object, but lets keep things sensible.

JGtxP.jpg

Time to take this one out to pasture... :(

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Thanks Lamonster, I figured in the time since that thread new ones could have been introduced and better prices available. Aren't the Blizzard game mice expensive because of the brands? I noticed in the stores today that the Steel Series WoW mouse was heavily reduced because it doesn't have Cataclysm branding like the new one.

1-D_FTW said:
Can't you turn the light off with your software? That was the first thing I did with my Razer DeathAdder.
I'm afraid the Copperhead has no such option.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I picked up a Razer Naga after my Copperhead started double clicking for a single click. It has 12 buttons on the side, and each one is completely customizable. You can also load up macros. It's a pretty powerful piece of kit if you put the time into making custom configs.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
PjotrStroganov said:

I use this Logitech mouse as well. It's nothing super fancy, but it works great and it's very comfortable. Definitely a good choice for anyone who's looking for a budget friendly gaming mouse.

I just have a cheap-o Rosewill keyboard, but it gets the job done. I don't need some over-priced gimmicky keyboard for my gaming needs.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
My M+KB setup:

productpage_xai_top.png

productpage_6gv2_big.png

Quality wired mouse and a good mechanical keyboard and you're set for life.

Menelaus

Banned
logitech-MX518.jpg

14557.png

MX518+Illuminated Keyboard

I think I might replace this keyboard soon. It's awesome for actual typing, but hard to find home keys on while gaming.

Curufinwe

I'm still using the Logitech G5 with one thumb button I bought in 2007. The middle mouse button has got easier to click over time. When I first got this mouse it was almost impossible to click the middle mouse button without accidentally pressing it left or right and registering as a horizontal scroll instead.

logitech-g5-laser-mouse-20050818053629725-000.jpg

Thnikkaman said:
PjotrStroganov, I held that same mouse today and I liked how the click felt. No bright lights at all?

That's the keyboard;)

But for the mouse, no bright lights whatsoever. Only the infrared light when picking up the mouse. No light bleeding either when it's lying flat.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Sebulon3k said:
Sebulon, I can see the display on the keyboards being useful but are they worth the additional money? I see that particular range going £120+. Might be interested if programming for the little screen is relatively simple.

Menelaus said:
http://www.swisspac.com.my/home/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/logitech-MX518.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.logitech.com/assets/14557/14557.png[IMG]
MX518+Illuminated Keyboard

I think I might replace this keyboard soon. It's awesome for actual typing, but hard to find home keys on while gaming.[/QUOTE]

I use the same mouse and I had the same keyboard. I ended up buying a Sidewinder X4 keyboard off of a GAFer because it wasn't great for gaming. I do agree, it was perfect for typing.

MoFuzz

Thnikkaman said:
Thanks guys, I'm seeing Logitech and Razer a lot. The Logi mice seem to have a similar form but different graphics on the top, I take it there's no huge difference between them aside from sensitivity?
The G5 v2 that I posted has a textured feel that is neither glossy nor smooth like the MX 518 or newer G500. Having tried both type of surfaces, I find the textured variety to be easier to grip, and as an added bonus, requires only minimal cleaning as less gunk gets built up over time.

Salsa

Thnikkaman said:
With no disrespect meant, I didn't want to resurrect a thread with an OP from May last year.

cool beans, just thought maybe it would give you a better idea on what Gaffers use.

MX518 supremacy here.

Curufinwe

Felix Lighter said:
I use the same mouse and I had the same keyboard. I ended up buying a Sidewinder X4 keyboard off of a GAFer because it wasn't great for gaming. I do agree, it was perfect for typing.

I really like my Sidewinder X4. It was good value for $40.

Divius

002915.jpg

Hellz yeah. Cheap and comfortable. I'm just not sure spending more than €40 on a mouse will make that much of a difference for me.

logitech-g9x-programmable-laser-gaming-mouse.jpg

1679_P_1257325874272.jpg

Also have two broken DeathAdders, and a G5.

Thnikkaman said:
Sebulon, I can see the display on the keyboards being useful but are they worth the additional money? I see that particular range going £120+. Might be interested if programming for the little screen is relatively simple.
The best keyboards you can get are mechanical ones, don't buy into that overpriced junk. From what I've read Happy Hacking keyboards are used by programmers, but aren't ideal for gaming as different keys have a different actuation force.

Almighty

MX518 mouse. I love it been using it for 6ish years now. My keyboard though is just some cheapish keyboard that came with my old HP desktop. It works and i will most likely keep using it until PS/2 connectors are no longer around.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Curufinwe said:
I'm still using the Logitech G5 with one thumb button I bought in 2007. The middle mouse button has got easier to click over time. When I first got this mouse it was almost impossible to click the middle mouse button without accidentally pressing it left or right and registering as a horizontal scroll instead.

logitech-g5-laser-mouse-20050818053629725-000.jpg

YES, this is soooooooooooooooo goooood

gokieks

MoFuzz said:
I roll with this:

main.jpg

This. MX518 may (or may not) be slightly better, but I can't live w/o the mousewheel tilt function anymore - makes using browsers (and most tab UI programs) much better.

I'm getting one of these things for free in a week:

MX_full.jpg

Logitech Performance MX mouse. It's the upgrade from the MX Revolutions I've loved so much over the last few years. I'm done with wireless mousing for a while though and I want to go back to wired.

Anyone want to buy it off me? I could use the money for the new mouse.

abunai

viri7.jpg

Kone + taito
smooth as fuuuuh

There is a newer Kone out, with either more buttons or a "better" scrollwheel. I forget which. Apparently people broke the scrollwheel on the original (mine) quickly, but mine's lasted 2 years fine. Guess I'm lucky or other people punch their mice.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I'm looking up information on Logitech's mice and they have a good range, might go down that road in the end then. Nobody here yet with an Alienware Tactix or whatever it's called? In store the mice and keyboards had pretty boxes but I doubt they're worth the high price.

abunai said:
Kone + taito
smooth as fuuuuh
Second Kone(?) in the thread so far and they look really funky. Their Cyborg stuff was in town and the Rat mouse looked crazy cool but also extremely uncomfortable!

Oops! I'll stop quoting big pics.

twofold

mou_d66_00052_opt_whl_bk.jpg

Had it for about ten years now. Have yet to find something I like more.

1680_P_1257324504208.jpg

Filco Tenkeyless Brown Cherry MX

Best keyboard I've ever used.

Mechanical keyboards > *

Dilemma

main.jpg

Had this for years, best mouse I've owned. It was pretty cool to see OrangeMarmalade (famous WoW pvp mage) uses this too. I got my eye on the Mionix Naos 5000 in case I'll ever buy a new mouse.

RH659.jpg

Simple Dell keyboard. I used to have one of those fancy Logitech ones but I prefer this due to the lack of keyboard estate. The keys also appear to be mechanical, but I could be mistaken.

Thnikkaman said:
I'm looking up information on Logitech's mice and they have a good range, might go down that road in the end then. Nobody here yet with an Alienware Tactix or whatever it's called? In store the mice and keyboards had pretty boxes but I doubt they're worth the high price.
I'm pretty sure that Alienware mice is just a rebranded G9X, which means it's a good high-sens mouse.

Top Bottom