• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Granblue Fantasy |OT| English Translation available as of 2016/04/11!

Granblue Fantasy |OT|

O4szHbz.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------

[What is Granblue Fantasy?]
Granblue Fantasy is Mobile J-RPG developed by Cygames and published by Mobage. Notable staff members include artist Hideo Minaba (Final Fantasy/Bravely Default) and composer Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy).

Some examples of the music in the game:

- Magna Bosses OST
- The World's boss battle theme
- Rose Queen
- SOIYA!

[Gameplay]

jl387i0.png

Battles are turn based, the main objective is to defeat your enemies with the help of various summons, special attacks and even other players who are battling the same foes in real time!

uEQ52R2.jpg

Your party consists of the main character and a few allies. In order to improve you'll have to level and evolve your units. The game even features a job system that allows you to access various classes, each with a unique skillset!
Aside from that, you can also collect rare weapons and summons. All of which will add to the total strength!

q24Tw5Z.jpg

Besides the main game, there are also various minigames. You can play Bingo and Poker for example, doing well in those minigames will even give you very special items that you can use in the main game!

[Is it pay to win?]

No, while spending money will give you an advantage you dont need to do so in order to progress or to do well.

SSR characters (the highest rarity and most powerful characters) are available almost exclusively via the in-game gacha. The in-game gacha uses two currency systems, Mobacoins (which are purchased with real money) and Crystals (a premium currency earned in game for clearing story missions/events/login rewards/etc.). The game is quite generous with crystals so you should easily be able to make one or two ten pulls each month on the Legendary gacha (the Legendary gacha increases the SSR drop rate from 3% to 6% it used to be bi-monthly but has been monthly so far in 2016). You can also obtain some very powerful SSR characters via the in-game guild wars events (though they take a long time and a lot of resources to acquire). SR characters can be earned via the gacha/events/story progression and a lot of them are quite viable for early to mid-game play. The game also has special gachas which you can partake in with Mobacoins (i.e. real money) which allow you to select a specific SSR unit or guarantee that one will drop.

As well as characters your party is made up of Summons and a Weapon's "pool". You can obtain good weapons and summons from the in-game gacha but the most powerful Summons and Weapons are only obtainable in-game and your end-game teams will depend on farming these. As such you can easily be competitive without spending any money (though if you are planning to stay F2P long term re-rolling until you get a SSR is a good idea)

Like several other mobile games Granblue features a stamina system which has two components, your ordinary stamina is used for general activities and increases as you progress in levels. Your "Raid Stamina" starts at (and has a maximum) of five dots and is used to pay for multiplayer battles. The game provides numerous consumables which allow you gain/replenish both types of stamina (though you may want to stockpile these for special events).

There's also the Co-op mode in which you can fight battles with up to four players. Only the host has to spend AP so as long as you can keep joining other rooms you get to play forever. You can even gain stamina potions while playing Co-op that you can use in other game modes.

[Getting Started]

The mobile app is only available in JP appstores

It's worth mentioning that while the game is intended to be played on mobile, there are ways to play it on your PC. Playing it on PC as your primary platform is strongly recommended as the mobile user experience is rather clunky.

This guide will completely help you through the progress of setting up an account.

[Useful Resources]

The Granblue Fantasy Ultimate Guide - Menu translations and basic mechanics, a must read for any new players (really, you should totally read this as it will cover 99% of the beginner questions)

SSR Character data - Features all of the available SSR characters, great for looking up character abilities!

NeoGAF Players Spreadsheet - A place where you can find some other GAF players, feel free to add your own name! (thanks to Kiryogi for making it!)

GBF Data
JP Tierlist
Another Tierlist
Special Gifts from Each Town
Stamps
Granblue Fantasy SR tier list
Weapon / Summon Optimisation and Progression
How to grind your weapon pool
Official Granblue Twitter
JP Damage calculator

Also join our Discord chat!

Cygames hasn't said anything since TGS about the English language option so...color me worried.

Yeah, I'm not really expecting it come out this March anymore but who knows.

Would love to be able to read the story, all the events sound rather interesting.

Yeah, I'm not really expecting it come out this March anymore but who knows.

Would love to be able to read the story, all the events sound rather interesting.

This is exactly why I haven't done much in the game. I've played through the tutorial and uninstalled a couple of times.

Also, can we talk about how good the art and the music are for this game?

This is exactly why I haven't done much in the game. I've played through the tutorial and uninstalled a couple of times.

Also, can we talk about how good the art and the music are for this game?

Yeah, The special Za Warudo boss battle that you fought with over a thousand guys was super epic just because of the soundtrack that would advance when the boss lost HP.

This game has the biggest exhibition space at last years TGS, and when I say biggest, I mean BIGGEST! It was humongous!

And the advertising! We were bombarded with Granblue in Japan...

Uthred

"An Idiot’s Guide to Granblue Fantasy" https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yUxZWnpEhW7NU1wl2Q99znx7CJN-AmS9Je7Fz6eXPcw/edit?pref=2&pli=1 is pretty good.

Nice OT but I thought they Is it Pay To Win section was a little confusing, maybe a bit more detail would help e.g.

[Is it pay to win?]

No, while spending money will give you an advantage you dont need to do so in order to progress or to do well.

SSR characters (the highest rarity and most powerful characters) are available almost exclusively via the in-game gacha. The in-game gacha uses two currency systems, Mobacoins (which are purchased with real money) and Crystals (a premium currency earned in game for clearing story missions/events/login rewards/etc.). The game is quite generous with crystals so you should easily be able to make one or two ten pulls each month on the Legendary gacha (the Legendary gacha increases the SSR drop rate from 3% to 6% it used to be bi-monthly but has been monthly so far in 2016). You can also obtain some very powerful SSR characters via the in-game guild wars events (though they take a long time and a lot of resources to acquire). SR characters can be earned via the gacha/events/story progression and a lot of them are quite viable for early to mid-game play. The game also has special gachas which you can partake in with Mobacoins (i.e. real money) which allow you to select a specific SSR unit or guarantee that one will drop.

As well as characters your party is made up of Summons and a Weapon's "pool". You can obtain good weapons and summons from the in-game gacha but the most powerful Summons and Weapons are only obtainable in-game and your end-game teams will depend on farming these. As such you can easily be competitive without spending any money (though if you are planning to stay F2P long term re-rolling until you get a SSR is a good idea)

Like several other mobile games Granblue features a stamina system which has two components, your ordinary stamina is used for general activities and increases as you progress in levels. Your "Raid Stamina" starts at (and has a maximum) of five dots and is used to pay for multiplayer battles. The game provides numerous consumables which allow you gain/replenish both types of stamina (though you may want to stockpile these for special events).

Moonlight

Banned
Meant to start a JP account but the English release is so close(?) figured I'd just wait. Half my Twitter feed is consumed by this in some way or another, lol.

Ultimadrago

I read a nice doujin by meme50 based on this game, thats all i have to contribute

Please don't do this...
Fatalpulse's

For real though, I love the art for this game a lot. I look forward to the new content and pieces release as time goes on. I didn't even know there would be an English release. I doubt I'll play it, but cool to know!

Astarte

I read a nice doujin by meme50 based on this game, thats all i have to contribute

I don't even need to ask if that doujin has vomit :V

I think the primary reason for me picking up this game is the fact that I want to know what all of these doujins are about anyway

Shun

The game was out for almost 2 years and had no topic until now, while Terra Battle and Fate Grand/Order have one. What.

Anyway this game is good. Spend a lot of time playing it.

I LOVE the collaboration they are able to get. The iDOLM@STER and Street Fighter collaboration event made me lose some sleep.

the best boss
a799ee1a.png

pinykorataaonzou.png

kiryogi

Banned
The game was out for almost 2 years and had no topic until now, while Terra Battle and Fate Grand/Order have one. What.

I LOVE the collaboration they are able to get. The iDOLM@STER and Street Fighter collaboration event made me lose some sleep.

the best boss
a799ee1a.png

pinykorataaonzou.png

There's a new imas collaboration in March!

How did the most recent IM@S event work? What did you need to do to get the characters? Started playing just after the last one.

Also, is there a chance that we'll be able to get the previous characters in the next event?

No Mika No Life

Azusa

Cygames hasn't said anything since TGS about the English language option so...color me worried.

Wrong.

Here: http://granbluefantasy.jp/pages/?p=6029

●英語版準備中!

東京ゲームショウ2015で発表した新たな設定となる
「言語設定」の準備も進んでいます。

すごい量のテキストを翻訳しています……。

google translate said:
● English version in preparation!

It becomes a new setting which was announced at the Tokyo Game Show 2015
We are also advancing preparation of the "Language".

...... I have to translate the great amount of text.

Shun

There's a new imas collaboration in March!
excite
How did the most recent IM@S event work? What did you need to do to get the characters? Started playing just after the last one.

Also, is there a chance that we'll be able to get the previous characters in the next event?

No Mika No Life

The cards for that event period was Uzuki and Rin, but they had art for Mika and a bunch of others too. No Anastasia or Kaede (꒦ິ⌑꒦ີ)

How you get it is reaching a certain level during the event for Uzuki or a certain number shinrai (1000) for Rin.

There was boss characters you can fight and difficulties and since that event I believe there was 1 or 2 reprints?

They have a Side M event too a month or so after the Deremas one so iM@S events are here to stay.

Ryoukai

Added myself to the spreadsheet. Looking forward to meeting with you all in-game and excited see the English community grow :).

Cool, was out of stock on AmiAmi and such so assumed it was OOS everywhere. Shipping is a bit rough on it but probably worth it.

it's about 12 bucks shipping and you get it like in 2-3 days so it isn't all that bad especially for a book of that size :p

kiryogi

Banned
Yup.

Lina does her full Dragon Slave chant as her special attack. It's so long that they even released a special item that cuts out the chant.

Or you could Awaken her and it also cutsdown the chant lol.

Cool, was out of stock on AmiAmi and such so assumed it was OOS everywhere. Shipping is a bit rough on it but probably worth it.

Shipping on Amazon J is flat! Mostly. Could just do like me and order all this and still only pay 2000y in shipping:

Uthred

I've no idea what I'm doing in Cinderella Girls other than clicking the spots outlined in the old thread

it's about 12 bucks shipping and you get it like in 2-3 days so it isn't all that bad especially for a book of that size :p

Glad to see Amazon.jp have a kindle version of it, I wonder what the resolution is like on it.

I dont live in the States, SAL shipping is over 50% of the cost of the book for me, while not a huge amount in absolute terms relative to the price of the item I'd consider that "rough". Bought it anyway of course ;)

Got new shiny toy from Titan (gold chest):

Large HP
Level 120 medium attack
Well its ssr weapon and being lowbie I dont have too many of them.

so it is not urban legend........
I think next you will get a drop of ヒヒイロカネ!

Yaari

Yay its here!

So, what should I get for my 2nd 10k event reward, I dn't have time to get the 30k fist. I went for Florenburg and got 5k now, I should be able to get another 5k to round it up to 10.

Uthred

Yay its here!

So, what should I get for my 2nd 10k event reward, I dn't have time to get the 30k fist. I went for Florenburg and got 5k now, I should be able to get another 5k to round it up to 10.

Might be worth grabbing some certificates for limit breaking SSR and SR characters.

Ryoukai

Yay its here!

I would save it for the next Four Corner event which should be fire element next. Keep in mind that the Dagger skill won't be activated till it's max level.

Top Bottom