• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First direct feed screenshots of Dragon Quest 7 3DS

Heh, DQ7 is a game that looked significantly worse than DQ6, it was definitely not "designed for PS1." Except maybe the hilarious CG portions. Also pretty sure almost no assets from the PSX version have made it into this remake, like people are saying, it looks like DQ5 PS2.
Yes it was, unless somehow SNES was capable of the 3D visuals (with rotatable camera) present in the original?

How people could say it looks meh or shit ?
People expecting DQVIII quality visuals, I guess. I mean it doesn't look amazing or anything but it definitely looks serviceable and I'm pleasantly surprised they're putting this much effort in the first place.

gblues

Banned
*squee*

I'm sorry, but if you're underwhelmed, you are obviously looking at DQ7 with ginormous nostalgia goggles. This looks like a huge improvement! I'm blown away by how much better the character models look compared to the ugly-ass sprites in the original.

Now excuse me while I perform black rites to force S-E or Nintendo to localize it for the US.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
this series has never been about amazing visuals, only DQ8 looked good. Rest range from average to shit. No one play these games for their graphics.

Kyon

Banned
...it looks like shit.

yeah idk

I see comparisons to DQ9 .... that was a DS game tho. Why does it look worse than 8?
+wtf+.gif

Will buy regardless tho

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
yeah idk

I see comparisons to DQ9 tho.... that was a DS game tho. Why does it look worse than 8?
+wtf+.gif

Will buy regardless tho

That's the thing with Level 5, when they work with cel-shaded graphics it's like they can be graphical gurus when they try hard enough. DQIX and Ni No Kuni looked better than most DS games.

randomkid

Yes it was, unless somehow SNES was capable of the 3D visuals (with rotatable camera) present in the original?

Well, I was responding more to the spirit of that comment, but sure.

this series has never been about amazing visuals, only DQ8 looked good. Rest range from average to shit. No one play these games for their graphics.

I hate when people say this haha, my experience with the franchise's visuals goes DQ6 Super Famicom (beautiful), DQ7 (horrific) DQ8 (gorgeous), Rocket Slime (fantastic), DQ5 PS2 (pretty), DQ3 SF (beautiful). DQ7 is the odd one out, aesthetics are a big reason why I like Dragon Quest!

Aeana

Level 5 made this? :eek:

No. Level-5 made DQ8, though. And that's why it looks dramatically better than almost every other PS2 game, and even some PS360 games. Expecting a game developed by Arte Piazza (DQ7 3DS) to look as good as that isn't realistic.

People expecting DQVIII quality visuals, I guess. I mean it doesn't look amazing or anything but it definitely looks serviceable and I'm pleasantly surprised they're putting this much effort in the first place.

Sure ! I'm not saying the game is mind blowing, or amazing ! But seriously it's not ugly. I'd even say it's nice looking.

No. Level-5 made DQ8, though. And that's why it looks dramatically better than almost every other PS2 game, and even some PS360 games. Expecting a game developed by Arte Piazza (DQ7 3DS) to look as good as that isn't realistic.

Yup ! And as I said, not the same budget/developpement time.

zoukka

This is by Arte Piazza, not Level-5. It looks pretty similar to Dragon Quest 5 PS2, which is the same people. Arte Piazza also has many of the original developers of DQ7.

Arte Piazza is also the current king of 2D sprite animation. (If they are the studio behind the DS DQ remakes)

Gloam

Looks great to me, I'll echo those who are saying the closer view and new world map will look good in 3D. I like the lack of cel-shading fits the character art of DQVII which is a bit rough around the edges to begin with.

Looking froward to replaying the game, I'll also echo the notion that every vignette is created equal in DQVII, taking one out would mess up the game. Some of the best stories in the series in this one!

Kyon

Banned

oh ok got it

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Are there going be making any changes to the class system? that's my only problem with DQVII - way too many useless skills.

A bit concerned about the battle speed, hope the change to 3D graphics, doesn't make it significantly slower than the original.:p

Aeana

Are there going be making any changes to the class system? that's my only problem with DQVII - way too many useless skills.

A bit concerned about the battle speed, hope the change to 3D graphics, doesn't make it significantly slower than the original.:p

We don't know anything other than that now each character has a unique outfit for each class a la FF5.

I don't think the battles will be slowed down too much, because they're not going to show characters running around the battlefield or anything. I expect it to be like Phantasy Star 2/4 or Lufia 2.

Rootbeer

Banned
I might be the only one, but I'd love to see DQ8 get this remake treatment on the Vita :D 3DS just wouldn't do it justice, IMO.

Aeana

I might be the only one, but I'd love to see DQ8 get this remake treatment on the Vita :D 3DS just wouldn't do it justice, IMO.

I personally hope that they wait until next generation to remake 8, because with current technology, it wouldn't be a very big upgrade.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
all this graphics-whore stuff is pretty much like saying FFIV on PSP looks like shit because they didn't take after FFXIII.

creid

I really hope they release DQI+II and DQIII on the 3DS Virtual Console. Then I can do DQ1-7 marathon if this is released in the west.

But nope, won't ever happen since that would involve editing the title screen of the games to say Quest instead of Warrior.

Fuck you Square.
You're complaining that Square Enix doesn't make enough Dragon Quest ports? That's a new one.

Ultratech

Eh...game looks alright I guess. Could look better, but at least the game's getting made.

DQVII's character design always did look a little goofy.

Never did care much for DQ7's character design.

197152_18696_front.jpg

Arte Piazza is also the current king of 2D sprite animation. (If they are the studio behind the DS DQ remakes)

LOL (Seriously. The animated sprites are good, but they're far from the best.)

StuBurns

Banned
I really dislike how it looks, it was however, an excellent game, and too many people missed it in the West, it feels like 8 was when most people started caring, so this is very nice to see.

Elios83

Looks good enough, not PS2 quality graphics (probably a 2D remake would have been better) but if it gets localized I'm definetly going to buy it.

the character models are bad. can't say i'm too excited.

how can they be so stingy. i guess after DQ IX and X, everything seems like an improvement to them.

see5harp

I guess I just assumed it would be something better since the last one I played was Dragon Quest IX on DS and I thought that looked much better to me. If you are just going to port the same content over and over again for every platform that comes along at least polish it up a bit.

StuBurns

Banned
Well, 8 was the first Dragon Quest in Europe.
Actually, DQM was first, but yeah, true. I meant more based on GAF posters I guess, DQ8 comes up all the time, I think almost all JRPG fans played it at least a little, where as I see far fewer 7 comments, even in threads about PS1 JRPGs. Purely anecdotal I know.

Aeana

I guess I just assumed something better since the last one I played was Dragon Quest IX on DS and I thought that looked much better to me. If you are just going to port the same content over and over again for every platform that comes along at least polish it up a bit.

DQ9 was developed by Level-5, just like 8. DQ9 was also sub-30 FPS most of the time, and most of the character models were sprites.

Not sure what you mean by your last sentence, since this is the first remake DQ7 has ever had.

Bebpo

Banned
Looks excellent. Arte Piazza almost ensures it'll be great. Will be nice to finally play this entry in the series.

Sort of makes up for DQX for us SP only gamers.

ReyBrujo

And to think that, for most of its life, DQ7 and good graphics could not be written in the same line. Reading people complain about how it looks must be sad for old DQ fans...

zoukka

LOL (Seriously. The animated sprites are good, but they're far from the best.)

If I'd find them ripped, I'd post them and prove you wrong :)

My jaw was through the floor throughout the games just because of the enemy sprites and their supersmooth animation. You just don't see such quality combined with quantity anymore.

The final boss in V or VI (the red dragon hybrid with a giant tail) is the single most impressive sprite character ever.

Why couldn't they make it look like DQ8? This is just laziness. I guess it is only a remake but still...

I personally hope that they wait until next generation to remake 8, because with current technology, it wouldn't be a very big upgrade.

You act like the 3DS' power is the reason this doesn't look better. A DQ8 would probably look exactly the same, just take advantage of the widescreen

Top Bottom