• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack new gameplay

RoKKeR

Haters be damned, it looks like good fun. I'll pick it up to play with my little sister when I come home for holidays/summer.

RevDM

Banned
Jackson Pollock called, he wants his shirt back.

People will adopt this as the mascot even if that's not their intention. Same thing happened w/ LBP

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It looks like decent enough fun but, I gotta be honest, it reminds me most of the Werehog sections from Sonic Unleashed. The camera work, gameplay sytle, and even some of the art seems very Werehog.

The cars don't do anything when he jumps on them..
And the bodies disappear instantly :/
Looks fun but I'll assume this will eventually be on PS+ for free, I just can't pay 60 dollars for this.

I'll probably withhold judgement until I play the game, but I was hoping for a more open ended type of level design. I'm not really a fan of the whole fixed camera, linear thing going on here.

That being said, the game LOOKS absolutely amazing.

DirtRiver

This game looks so much fun. I get why some people here are not feeling anything about this game but I am really craving a fun action-adventure game that is not all about dismembering people.

Really doesn't do much for me... Level design is on the generic side, too much beat-em up action versus platforming and exploration . I also find the search for "secrets" to seem almost non-existent. It's not really "secrets powerups" if they are hidden in plain sight behind behind easy to spot breakable walls all the time.

I also found the "stealth" segments to have nothing to do with actual stealth... I mean, stealth is not changing form to bypass a lazer wall. Now , if you had stealth takedowns for enemies or something... But you basically switch back for combat the minute you encouter foes.

The camera seems a little too far from the main character too, it does make sense when Knack is in his "big mode", but when he's relatively small, it makes the somewhat bland and empty world feel even more barren. I appreciate the fact the demo showcased four different parts of the game, but the transition between them seemed out of place and I would have preferred a big chunk of gameplay with story elements and progression to this "bite sized gameplay segments that fail to accomplish anything". Not the best way to showcase a game imho.

Overall, I dunno, it kinda lacks identity, at least when it comes to gameplay. The cutscenes and trailers seem to have personality, but when actual gameplay starts, it does feel kinda generic and maybe a little too accessible for my tastes. Then again, it'll probably be a great title for yourger gamers or people that like beat-em up with some minimal degree of platforming... But to me , it's no Crash Bandicoot or Spyro.

I am not sure they should have put out a demo without the narrative context. The sections they showed looked very simplistic, and without any context, which might indicate that the game may have more to do it than running down narrow gameplay corridors and wacking things with one button combat, I don't think it was set up to turn many heads. Some people who saw it in person didnt seem impressed by the visuals. I think it looks nice, but so far the level design has been very simplistic.

I am super into the aesthetic and fully behind supporting *mascot* style games, they remind me of a lot of good times. Knack though, form all the footage I've seen, there looks to be no platforming, just straight brawling. I keep seeing Cerny cite Spyro and Crash, but those games were platformers to me. So I'm not sure about this.

Schrade

ROFL! Japanese guy with Cerny goes on for like a minute talking about stuff and Cerny translates: "He says it's a fun game."

Love Cerny's wit :)

Tan

I think it's a real bummer that the rubble despawns when its lying on the ground considering the whole point of this game...

Top Bottom